***The Official OSU Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, planning to interview on 9/28-29 at OSU. Wanted to see if any of you SDN'ers would be interested in splitting an Airbnb/rental car for the trip to Columbus?

Background: 30 yr old male, married - so probably looking for another male roommate :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming it hasn't changed much from last year when we had 4 MMI tables. Basically, Friday is an optional intro day. You show up, meet some potential classmates, meet some current students, meet a couple professors, and tour/get a feel for the school and the campus. It's very relaxed, and it's not gonna hurt you if you can't go. Saturday is the big day, and you're gonna wanna show up extra early, cause you have to find parking and it's not at the dental school, it's on the other side of campus. But again, it's relaxed, a lot more than my VCU interview last year was.

You show up at the hotel, they have refreshments to help calm your nerves, they introduce themselves again. Then, you split into two groups, and one group interviews 1st. They take you upstairs, split you off into lines of 4 people, and you go into your respective room. Each room has 2 lines, but within your own line, there are 4 tables you rotate between. You have 15 minutes/table, and that 15 minutes goes by super quickly. There are 2 tables with dental students, and 2 tables with professors. Before sitting down at the table, you get a few minutes to read a bio about the person(s) you're about to talk to, to get some background to help with the conversation. And each table truly is like a conversation. A couple of the tables have a specific question (like "you have to give a patient bad news, what do you do?"), but for the most part, they aren't super structured. I talked to one table about how I enjoy indoor rock climbing and another table about how I was turned off of dentistry for a long time because I'd undergone so much painful dental work.

It's actually kinda fun, you'll do great. Just make sure to introduce yourself at each table, smile the whole time, and thank them afterward. Also, drink water between each one so your throat doesn't get dry (they have water in the room). AND ASK PERSONALIZED QUESTIONS (that's what the bios are for). If you can get them talking about themselves, you're golden. The people at each table have looked at your app and have it in front of them, but they only asked me questions about my essays/ECs when I was interviewing. I don't think the people interviewing you really care about your numbers, unless something really stands out. Side note: with 7 other people in the room talking (the dividers don't really help with sound), make sure you get good at drowning out other noises.

After that (or before, if you're in group 2), your entire group does an anything-goes Q&A with current students, where you can literally ask about anything since there isn't anyone in the room but students and your fellow interviewees. And then, once everyone is done, you get a pretty good free lunch.
Thank you so much for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten a dentpath interview yet?

Probably not. Our interview last year for Dentpath students was on the last day, and I believe it's the same this year. I didn't get the interview invite till mid-October for the early November interview date.

If you don’t mind me asking, is there oos students in your dentpath? It sounds like a perfect fit for me but I’m oos...

If you don’t mind me asking, is there oos students in your dentpath? It sounds like a perfect fit for me but I’m oos...

Yup! 2 of the 5 of us are OOS (including me). Last year's (the current D1 class) had 2 or 3 as well.

Has anyone heard back/ received a second round interview invitation today?

Has anyone heard back/ received a second round interview invitation today?
Also no call - last interview invite had a fair amount of people posting about it here. Any chance they just didn’t do the invites today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, they only take 5, yikes

Well, it kinda differs per year, with a max of 10. Just based on that year's applicant pool. Not every year will they have 10 people that they feel would fit in with Dentpath. So in our case, this benefits the rest of the people in this year's cycle, since that leaves 115 seats open for the incoming D1 students instead of 110.

Just got back from the interview weekend at Ohio State! I absolutely loved it! Feel free to PM me if anybody has any questions on how the weekend is broken down! Literally everyone at Ohio State is insanely nice and approachable! I need it to be 12/3 already! The anticipation is already killing me! haha

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it kinda differs per year, with a max of 10. Just based on that year's applicant pool. Not every year will they have 10 people that they feel would fit in with Dentpath. So in our case, this benefits the rest of the people in this year's cycle, since that leaves 115 seats open for the incoming D1 students instead of 110.
I stated on my application that I was interested in dentpath, do you think I should call or do they screen the applications well enough to identify potential candidates?

Hey everyone - just to report back, I was excited and thankful to get a call from OSU this morning for the October 20th interview. Turns out they were busy getting ready for the first interview date so delayed the calls until today - hope to see some of you there!

I stated on my application that I was interested in dentpath, do you think I should call or do they screen the applications well enough to identify potential candidates?

I think they definitely screen pretty well since they're looking for specific candidates among those that indicated that they're interested, but you're welcome to call Jae Denson and ask about it - he runs it and might be able to give you more information about the process for this year. Plus it'll keep your name in their mind.

for those who have gotten calls (either today or one of the past two times), did you get an email soon after or a while after the call?

They called me this Monday. I believe they won’t send out any more invites for another 2-3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for those who have gotten calls (either today or one of the past two times), did you get an email soon after or a while after the call?

They called me first and then sent me an email to RSVP to the interview.

They called me first and then sent me an email to RSVP to the interview.

They were supposed to make the next round of calls today for the Oct. 27 interview.

Did you get the email right after the call though, or a little later in the day?

They were supposed to make the next round of calls today for the Oct. 27 interview.

Did you get the email right after the call though, or a little later in the day?

Oh my bad. They will probably call on Monday. That’s what happened with me. But I got the email almost immediately August the phone call.

Oh my bad. They will probably call on Monday. That’s what happened with me. But I got the email almost immediately August the phone call.

Would you mind sharing stats?

Would you mind sharing stats?

The waited two weeks or so between the first and second invites so I thought that’s what they would do for all of the invites. oGPA: 3.64 sGPA: 3.65 26AA, 27TS 22PAT

Nope, but I’m hoping for a dentpath call so that’s not till later I guess. If anyone gets a dentpath call I would greatly appreciate a post cause I think that’s really my only hope.

they'll probably do calls on monday again then

Got the call today too for October 27th. I have a question for those who have interviewed. It says we can bring a guest with us. I was wondering if anyone has done this? I was thinking about inviting someone, but wasn't sure if others did that or not.

Got the call today too for October 27th. I have a question for those who have interviewed. It says we can bring a guest with us. I was wondering if anyone has done this? I was thinking about inviting someone, but wasn't sure if others did that or not.
You can bring one Friday for the tour but not Saturday for the interview

You can bring two guests Friday, and plenty of people bring their parents, and some bring significant others or other supportive people (friends/siblings).

I had brought my dad up from Virginia (so I wouldn't have to do the whole 7-hour drive by myself). On Friday, I'd say about half the people had brought at least one person, especially people who were within driving distance of Columbus. On Saturday, a few people had brought someone, but not as many as had on Friday. On Friday, the person/people you bring kind of stick to your side the whole time, while on Saturday, they're only with you for breakfast/the intro by the school - when the students split off, the friends/family go to a Q&A session, then leave.

The confirmation email says the attire for Friday is business casual. For anyone who attended on Friday, would you say most people were dressed in business casual or were some wearing suits?

Status
Not open for further replies.