The Official May 30, 2013 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimicurtis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to take the test March 23rd. But, seats filled up faster than I expected in my area...:(. Who else is registered for this date? I guess on the bright side I have more time to prep :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was supposed to take the test March 23rd. But, seats filled up faster than I expected in my area...:(. Who else is registered for this date? I guess on the bright side I have more time to prep :)

Hi kimi, I'm thinking about delaying the MCAT myself to either May 23rd or May 30th. I find that school, work, ECs and MCAT are too much, and the May date isn't that late.

I'm curious, why are you delaying?

I am registered for that date because test dates for March 23rd are filled up in my area. The next date available is April and that's when I have finals. So, that's why I am taking it in May.

May 31st is my target date but I'm just gon have to wait till I get the funds to book a seat. But I'll study towards this date....I'll join this group either way :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, well just make sure you register soon, perhaps first week of February if you can. For instance, by the first week of January, late march was totally gone in my area. I advise you go online and see if there are seats for march or April currently in your area, that will enable you to know how far in advance you have to register.

I'm about half way through my content review. For physics I have been using BR, for bio, gen Chem, Orgo. I somewhat regret using EK for gen Chem, I may go back and use TPRH. I have been using Kaplan topical tests, TPRH and TBR for practice passages.

I'm so far ahead with content review because I was originally supposed to take the test in march. With all the extra time I have I will be doing all the practice passages in the books that I have started and reviewing them along with FL's.

In on May 30th test day thread.

Just got most of my material in last week, have taken a diagnostic test, and have an alright of how I'm going to study (have Kaplan and EK materials). Won't really know until I start cracking the books and see what works.

Going to hopefully kick it into gear this week sometime, probably start on Friday other than a few pages here and there the next couple days.

134 days left!

Geez, yeah you made me feel like I wasnt preparing as I should be when I first read that! I'm really trying to focus on Gen Chem and Physics, since those were the two classes that I feel I could improve the most on, Verbal as well. Can you tell me what the difference is between TPRH and TPH 2013-14 overview book if you know? Is it more content, or is it more simplified and condensed?

I'm taking my first FL at the end of the month to establish a baseline.

Haha, I know that might have been surprising, but that's because I was originally preparing for March. For march, we have a way to go. Are you referring to TPRH and TPR?

Didn't see a thread for MAY 11, so i'll join this one.

I just started studying this week, so far covered TBR chapter 1 for Chem and Physics. Using Sn2'd schedule.

I'm in for 5/30! I just skimmed through half of TBR Physics and Gen chem....hopefully I'll get through all of it along with TBR orgo and EK bio by may :rolleyes:

Hi I'm a 3rd year undergraduate. I just registered for the May 30th MCAT as well.

I'm wondering if this is too late to apply for medical school starting this summer? I have not taken an MCAT before. I know AMCAS submissions begin on June 1st and we won't get scores until July 2nd or so.

Should I submit AMCAS without an MCAT score? Is this a good idea? Or should I wait until the first week of July to submit AMCAS.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm a 3rd year undergraduate. I just registered for the May 30th MCAT as well.

I'm wondering if this is too late to apply for medical school starting this summer? I have not taken an MCAT before. I know AMCAS submissions begin on June 1st and we won't get scores until July 2nd or so.

Should I submit AMCAS without an MCAT score? Is this a good idea? Or should I wait until the first week of July to submit AMCAS.

Thanks!

You should definitely send in your amcas without an mcat score so that you won't have to wait another full month after your scores get back!

Will they refuse to view my application without an MCAT score? My GPA is pretty solid.

You can submit your amcas without your MCAT on June 1st when the amcas open and submit your MCATs when you get them because it takes the AMCAS 4-6 weeks to get verified. So, by the time AMCAS starts releasing information to schools your MCAT score will also be available.

You can submit your amcas without your MCAT on June 1st when the amcas open and submit your MCATs when you get them because it takes the AMCAS 4-6 weeks to get verified. So, by the time AMCAS starts releasing information to schools your MCAT score will also be available.

Okay, great. So this means my application will not be late relative to other applications, correct?

Is anybody else taking the May 30th MCAT for the first time and planning on applying straight after?

If so, good luck! :)

If you submit your primary right when AMCAS allows (June 5th-ish) it won't take you a full several weeks to be verified. That said, AMCAS won't start sending apps out to schools until a couple weeks later anyway. Your MCAT score will be automatically uploaded to AMCAS once reported.

I'm also registered to take it March 23rd.....however I'm going to have to push it back to the end of May due to my class load this semester.

If you submit your primary right when AMCAS allows (June 5th-ish) it won't take you a full several weeks to be verified. That said, AMCAS won't start sending apps out to schools until a couple weeks later anyway. Your MCAT score will be automatically uploaded to AMCAS once reported.

Thanks for the tip! When I went to talk to my school's pre-med advisor, she was extremely against taking the May 30th mcat and applying this summer, saying my application would be too late. Now I just have to focus on studying!!

Thanks for the tip! When I went to talk to my school's pre-med advisor, she was extremely against taking the May 30th mcat and applying this summer, saying my application would be too late. Now I just have to focus on studying!!

I would suggest that you go on the AAMC and look for a video about the AMCAS app. I don't think you should worry.

Hey, consider yourself lucky. My school's advisors don't see anything wrong with people applying in August or later. :scared:

I am thinking about may 30 mcat too. so I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty if I just kinda started studying? lol

Haha yup - I just started this week as well. I already finished all my pre-reqs + biochem so I just need to get used to tricky mcat wording. What are your study plans?

I have seen some people who started studying in November for May mcat so I guess that's why I felt a bit guilty haha

Kind of mind = blown that your advisor say that. I know I looked at a previous year's application dates and the AMCAS was open for filling on May 6th, can submit June 6th, and I think the data was sent to schools on June 28th, in which case we'd be a few days late. And as for if anyone else is taking the May 30th and applying this summer.. well everyone posting in this thread saying they're taking the MCAT on this date is most likely applying this summer!

I have seen some people who started studying in November for May mcat so I guess that's why I felt a bit guilty haha

Yeah I've seen a few people do that! We have a little over 4 months left, which IMO is the perfect amount of time. 5-6 or more and you'll probably forget a lot from the first months, and 2-3 months is a little tough unless you have a lot of time on your hands. I'm just generalizing of course, my $.02.

So how much studying are you guys doing per week? should I give up social life since I have school, ecs etc.? lol so sad

Hopefully at least an hour a day once spring semester starts... Can't be too sure unless it really starts haha.

I'd say I do about 2-3 hours a day. 10 on weekends. So, around 20+ a week. It's rough. I have 17 credits, research 15 hours a week and EC's. I shamelessly neglect my classes, the hardest of which are biostats and physics 2...I had to take a break from studying MCAT today, to do physics homework...I was so annoyed lol.

I haven't given up my social life (yet :( ) but I definitely had to tone it down. No hard partying very often for me. Maybe I might party once a month from now, but otherwise it will just be dinners and other social gatherings.

I even have a bed time! :oops: In bed by 10:30pm, up by 6:00am. Some of my friends laugh at me. But, I tell them I'll be laughing when I get a 34+ score :p

Last edited:
I'm in for 30 May test! Physics and Gen. Chem are good, Organic chem is okay, bio I definitely need to review more though. Let's do this!
Btw, anyone taking it in Singapore?

I'd say I do about 2-3 hours a day. 10 on weekends. So, around 20+ a week. It's rough. I have 17 credits, research 15 hours a week and EC's. I shamelessly neglect my classes, the hardest of which are biostats and physics 2...I had to take a break from studying MCAT today, to do physics homework...I was so annoyed lol.

I haven't given up my social life (yet :( ) but I definitely had to tone it down. No hard partying very often for me. Maybe I might party once a month from now, but otherwise it will just be dinners and other social gatherings.

I even have a bed time! In bed by 10:30pm, up by 6:00am. Some of my friends laugh at me. But, I tell them I'll be laughing when I get a 34+ score. ;P

That's some solid dedication there my friend. Physics 2 is on Mcat though so I think it is wise to prioritize that one :)

I even have a bed time! In bed by 10:30pm, up by 6:00am. Some of my friends laugh at me. But, I tell them I'll be laughing when I get a 34+ score. ;P

Wow, that is gonna be one rough semester.... I wish you the best of luck!

That's some solid dedication there my friend. Physics 2 is on Mcat though so I think it is wise to prioritize that one :)

Yeah, my friend it med school told me that there was more physics 2 on her test than physics 1. I don't know how true that is of all exams though.

Wow, that is gonna be one rough semester.... I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you both for the encouragement and best of luck to the both of you!

Yeah, my friend it med school told me that there was more physics 2 on her test than physics 1. I don't know how true that is of all exams though.
It won't be something that holds for every version of the exam given, but it is always entirely possible that your PS will be one chem passage and then 6 physics passages on optics, circuits, and electric/magnetic fields. Know everything.

It won't be something that holds for every version of the exam given, but it is always entirely possible that your PS will be one chem passage and then 6 physics passages on optics, circuits, and electric/magnetic fields. Know everything.

This is very true.

I'm joining everyone on this date. How are you guys studying for it? One chapter of one subject a day or multiple subjects a day?

I'm joining everyone on this date. How are you guys studying for it? One chapter of one subject a day or multiple subjects a day?

I'm just quickly going over all the content right now using TBR along with 2 verbal passages a day + economist reading. After content review, I'ma do all the science passages. Then once I'm ready, ill take the aamc's tests.

Registered for May 30th,,,
Came back from Uganda: so finished EK content review late, but done now.
Started TPR-TPRH *plan on closing it by 28FEB*
Class load: Spring 2013 (Phys2, Bio II)...
Plan: March-May TBR.
Looking forward to this MCAT...i hate disappoints...

Is this real life? I just tried to register for California and the whole state is full? That can't be right. It's over 4 months away! I couldn't have registered before this because I didn't know what research/semester would be like yet. Ugh. Is this a computer error or is the whole state actually full already?

Yeah, it's serious. There was no space 3 months before in DC for March, but I know CA is no joke when it comes to dates.

Im doing about 3 hours of studying a day, I have a pretty weak semester and got a lot of time off work. This is the real deal. I'm using TPR and Kaplan books. Everything is going pretty easy for the most part. I got the Audio Osmosis as well that I listen to at work. For the most part, its a joke, but some of it is helpful. It's kind of racist and stupid though too, as they hit a gong and talk in a japanese accent when they talk about Okazaki fragments. :-\

Gotta be careful with audio osmosis, there are a couple of mistakes scattered around here and there.

Kind of mind = blown that your advisor say that. I know I looked at a previous year's application dates and the AMCAS was open for filling on May 6th, can submit June 6th, and I think the data was sent to schools on June 28th, in which case we'd be a few days late. And as for if anyone else is taking the May 30th and applying this summer.. well everyone posting in this thread saying they're taking the MCAT on this date is most likely applying this summer!

Haha well the advisors at my school (top public university) tend to be pretty conservative. She was telling me how only ~ 50-60% of biology majors will get into medical school if they apply straight, and so my chances are a lot higher if I wait. I'm not a biology major, but it was still an interesting fact. She mostly wanted me to wait a year for the best possible chances, but I feel ready!

officially taking my MCAT on this date too! I registered awhile back - near when registration first opened, but picked this date simply because I want to submit my apps relatively early, so taking it in june/july would be too late for me, but my final exams end the first week of may. this way i have about 3 weeks with no class to just finish up my studying and give it my all.

i'm starting my study plan TODAY. its a really intense amount of studying - i've got the kaplan content review books + EK 1001 for every subject, plus kaplan online practice exams, so i'm literally doing a chapter or a large amount of problems every single day (except fridays, usually) until then. i've mapped out on a calendar exactly what i need to do each day. i basically made my plan as a variation of SN2ed's 4-month study plan, but i'm using the kaplan books for content review instead of BR books. following the order of everything, full-lengths, and EK problem days to a T though.

best of luck to you guys!

officially taking my MCAT on this date too! I registered awhile back - near when registration first opened, but picked this date simply because I want to submit my apps relatively early, so taking it in june/july would be too late for me, but my final exams end the first week of may. this way i have about 3 weeks with no class to just finish up my studying and give it my all.

i'm starting my study plan TODAY. its a really intense amount of studying - i've got the kaplan content review books + EK 1001 for every subject, plus kaplan online practice exams, so i'm literally doing a chapter or a large amount of problems every single day (except fridays, usually) until then. i've mapped out on a calendar exactly what i need to do each day. i basically made my plan as a variation of SN2ed's 4-month study plan, but i'm using the kaplan books for content review instead of BR books. following the order of everything, full-lengths, and EK problem days to a T though.

best of luck to you guys!

Good luck to you too!Studying has been rough for me because of class and other commitments. But, I am glad I am taking in May.