The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

First semester almost thru guys. 1/8th of the way to that MD

Before we know it it'll be 1/4

I am struggling to make it through these last few weeks. It seems like they're throwing everything at us all at once. Next week we've got our first dissection and a clinical skills exam, in addition to our weekly Monday exam. Then the week after that we have a weekly exam on Monday, a histology exam and anatomy lab practical on Wednesday, and our block final exam on Friday. :bang:I'm most nervous for the clinical skills and anatomy practical since I have no idea what to expect. And then of course on top of all that we have a bunch of dumb little assignments, AND I'm stressing over trying to figure out what I want to do this summer.

OH and for some reason I volunteered to be an interviewer next Tuesday so that's going to take like 4 hours out of my study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( Awwww I'm sorry Lanny!

It's all good, somehow I ended up killing my weekly exam today so that restored a bit of my morale. Just gotta take it one day at a time!
Do you guys all go until Dec 16th? I cannot believe I'm less than two weeks away from finishing the first semester of med school. It really seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the middle of a forest refreshing the MCAT score page and hyperventilating.

It's all good, somehow I ended up killing my weekly exam today so that restored a bit of my morale. Just gotta take it one day at a time!
Do you guys all go until Dec 16th? I cannot believe I'm less than two weeks away from finishing the first semester of med school. It really seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the middle of a forest refreshing the MCAT score page and hyperventilating.
You must have a killer router/cell phone service to get internet in the middle of the forest. Or maybe my cell really is that old lol (galaxy s3). Yep I'll be done Dec 16 too.

You must have a killer router/cell phone service to get internet in the middle of the forest. Or maybe my cell really is that old lol (galaxy s3). Yep I'll be done Dec 16 too.

Hahah well to be fair it wasn't that big of a forest and I wasn't that far from civilization.

Nope. We do 1.5 semester of pre clinical work, and 2.5 years of rotation. This is the first year my school has down this. We also don't take the Step 1 exam til later in out third year. Apparently there is data that shows that students who have more clinical rotations and experience tend to do better on Step 1.
luckyyyyy... I'm so over sitting in lectures already lol

Reactions: 1 user
luckyyyyy... I'm so over sitting in lectures already lol

Haha I'm the opposite, we start our Longitudinal Primary Care Clerkship in January and I'm scared af, I can't believe they actually are going to trust me to do a real patient's H&P lol. I'm fine with just learning basic science like I have been for the past few months :D

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is any one else keeping a strong Tinder game thru med school?

I made an OkCupid. Then I got depressed after the first ~100 messages from desperate creepy guys and deleted it.

I have four exams this week, and yet I've spent all day watching Gilmore Girls. What is wrong with me.

I went to bed last night thinking, "you know, I could really see myself as a pathologist". Then this morning I took my first histology exam and that fantasy came crashing down around me.

Hey everyone! App cycle update. I have had 5 DO interviews leading to 3 acceptances so far. I have had 4 MD interviews and am still waiting to hear back with one more next weekend!

Will keep y'all updated!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone! App cycle update. I have had 5 DO interviews leading to 3 acceptances so far. I have had 4 MD interviews and am still waiting to hear back with one more next weekend!

Will keep y'all updated!

Dude this is awesome, I'm seriously so happy to hear that the cycle is going so well for you!!! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
I hope everyone is doing well!
A bit of an update. I have been accepted to 5 of the 6 DO programs I applied to. As of right now, if I do not get an MD acceptance, I will be attending the University of New England up in Maine.

That being said, I am still waiting to hear from the University of Tennessee, Indiana and Virginia Tech. VA Tech is by far my top choice of the 3 and I felt I did the best at that interview day. I will hopefully be hearing some thing from them next week as they go through their last round of acceptances.

I find myself thinking of this thread from time to time and the support that I have received from each of you as we have gone through the whole process together twice now. I really hope that med school is everything that you thought it would be!

Reactions: 2 users
I hope everyone is doing well!
A bit of an update. I have been accepted to 5 of the 6 DO programs I applied to. As of right now, if I do not get an MD acceptance, I will be attending the University of New England up in Maine.

That being said, I am still waiting to hear from the University of Tennessee, Indiana and Virginia Tech. VA Tech is by far my top choice of the 3 and I felt I did the best at that interview day. I will hopefully be hearing some thing from them next week as they go through their last round of acceptances.

I find myself thinking of this thread from time to time and the support that I have received from each of you as we have gone through the whole process together twice now. I really hope that med school is everything that you thought it would be!
That's so awesome, they have a beautiful campus! You won't be disappointed either way. Congrats!

Remember when our computers froze and we had to take the exam AGAIN a week later -_- That was so awesome. Hahha.

oh wow mine isn't till next year. how are you guys studying

Dude idk, I wish my school would just tell me how to study. This semester I'm just spending like an hour a day reading first aid, plus using sketchy and pathoma to supplement lecture material. Then I guess next semester I'll start using Zanki and Uworld? I hate even thinking about step 1, handling classes is hard enough already.

Hey guys long time. I am using FA, pathoma, and sketchy this extensively semester. I am saving Uworld for next semester

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dude idk, I wish my school would just tell me how to study. This semester I'm just spending like an hour a day reading first aid, plus using sketchy and pathoma to supplement lecture material. Then I guess next semester I'll start using Zanki and Uworld? I hate even thinking about step 1, handling classes is hard enough already.
I would start this semester honestly, if you do it. There is something like 20,000 cards and if you want to retire them in time for step one you would have to do over 200 new cards per day (which takes a while). I currently do 50 (+ about 100 or so review cards) and it takes me about an hour.

I would start this semester honestly, if you do it. There is something like 20,000 cards and if you want to retire them in time for step one you would have to do over 200 new cards per day (which takes a while). I currently do 50 (+ about 100 or so review cards) and it takes me about an hour.

I decided that flashcards probably aren't gonna be a huge resource for me. I really need like more detailed stuff, if that makes sense, I can't really learn isolated facts. I've been doing a lot of practice questions (Kaplan) + sketchy + pathoma + FA. I'm not going to worry about M1 stuff until second semester since a lot of it is pretty low yield.

I decided that flashcards probably aren't gonna be a huge resource for me. I really need like more detailed stuff, if that makes sense, I can't really learn isolated facts. I've been doing a lot of practice questions (Kaplan) + sketchy + pathoma + FA. I'm not going to worry about M1 stuff until second semester since a lot of it is pretty low yield.
Ok lol Ii just wanted to make sure I gave you a heads up in case you had plans of going through them all with not a lot of time haha

I haven't studied a lick for step 1 yet. UChicago tells us not to worry about it until dedicated because statistically those of us who do best on CPP&T will do the best on step, so they encourage us to just concentrate hard on classes. I'm just gonna do practice Qs during our path class for practice, and then study more specifically for step in my 6 week block.

Update: I think I forgot to mention I got married this summer btw guys!!!
dang that's awesome! congrats!!

Also, I was wrong, our rotations start end of June! June 20th, Our dedicated begins mid march

I feel like other schools get wayyy more dedicated. Our time doesn't start until the first week of May and we start rotations like third week of June.

Can't believe I will start clinicals in late March. I am studying all the time for Step 1. Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

I just realized that's in like a month. Dude. Good luck!!!!
Thanks. It is about 6 weeks. I am trying for academic OB/GYN, so I want a good score. Planning two passes of Uworld. Good thing is that this is a good excuse to skip Christmas family drama.

Thanks. It is about 6 weeks. I am trying for academic OB/GYN, so I want a good score. Planning two passes of Uworld. Good thing is that this is a good excuse to skip Christmas family drama.

Ah I didn't know OB/GYN required a good score! I guess anything academic does, though. I hope you do amazing! :)

Guys, if I'm taking step in May should I register like now? serious question

We take it in June and our school did not really make it sound like registering was urgent until January or so. I'm just going through the registration process now because why not?

I just sat down and wrote out my step study schedule for next semester. Huge mistake lol. Ignoring the existence of step was really working for me, but now I am freaking out. I can't do this.

Reactions: 2 users
I just sat down and wrote out my step study schedule for next semester. Huge mistake lol. Ignoring the existence of step was really working for me, but now I am freaking out. I can't do this.

I did the same foolish thing. It has ruined my break. Worst of all is we cant really undo it so i guess i shall struggle with this hell until i start studying in January

I did the same foolish thing. It has ruined my break. Worst of all is we cant really undo it so i guess i shall struggle with this hell until i start studying in January

Y’all got it! I’m sure you’ll kill it just like we did way back in 2015 :)