The Official June 5, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats all of you on all your hard work! You deserve it.

Now for all of us who are still in line to take the test: let's hope that we get results like this!

Reactions: 3 users
Test date: 6/5/14
AAMC range: low-to-mid 30s (took all AAMCs)
Post test expected: 30
Actual: 33 (12/10/11)

Retaker here and my score is exactly the same as my first score. To all of those that are thinking about retaking, ask yourself this: is your score much different from your AAMC averages? If not, I don't recommend retaking it. You can devote the extra time into doing something that adds to your application, like more research or volunteering. I kept thinking that I'd somehow improve by 2 or 3 points on the retake just because I'd be studying more and doing more practice. Unfortunately I ran out of AAMCs so I didn't know what score to expect or which sections I needed to practice. In the end, I wish I didn't retake so that I could save myself the $800+ (rescheduling is pricey!) and avoid the enormous amounts of stress.
Thank you very much for posting this.

Test Date: 6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: 38.5 (Range: 32 (FL3) - 42 (FL9))
Post-test expected score: 33-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 40 (13/13/14)

What a relief. If I got below 34 I was going to retake. That PS was brutal; typically I score 14-15 but overall I am extremely happy. I used Sn2'ed's 4 month self study schedule with TBR. FLs 10 and 11 seemed most accurate as I got 39's on both of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 38.5 (Range: 32 (FL3) - 42 (FL9))
Post-test expected score: 33-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 40 (13/13/14)

What a relief. If I got below 34 I was going to retake. That PS was brutal; typically I score 14-15 but overall I am extremely happy. I used Sn2'ed's 4 month self study schedule with TBR. FLs 10 and 11 seemed most accurate as I got 39's on both of them.

Daaammmn congrats. Now onto any medical school of your choice.

Damn you guys scored well. It seems most of you thought PS was impossibly difficult, but did rather well.

I hope that's the case with my (July 2nd) MCAT....

Ive calmed down and am rather happy with my score. I could have honestly scored MUCH lower. Im just happy that I at least have a future at SOME US medical school.

That being said, I am pretty confident that I could score higher if I gave it another shot. My plan is to relax a bit and then take a few practice exams. If score above a thirty consistently, I will retake

Reactions: 1 users
Ive calmed down and am rather happy with my score. I could have honestly scored MUCH lower. Im just happy that I at least have a future at SOME US medical school.

That being said, I am pretty confident that I could score higher if I gave it another shot. My plan is to relax a bit and then take a few practice exams. If score above a thirty consistently, I will retake
I could definitely score several points higher. However, I feel like a 33 should get me in somewhere. Even if it's not the top tier I was shooting for. I feel as though I would lose more by delaying my application for a few point gain than just continuing to be early and keeping the 33. Pride is hurt; that's all.

First of all, congrats to everybody! You all were terrified of the PS, but seems like most people got 10+! Awesome!

FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 30-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (11/9/12)
Comments: Slightly underperformed. Trying to decide if I should retake.
Similar situation as aspiringERMD. 4.0 cGPA, great extracurriculars and LORs. Applied to many top tier schools and afraid MCAT score might hurt me. Any insight?
Since you scored around average I would say stick with it. Everything else you have is very solid. Top tier schools might be out of reach, but I imagine you will get in somewhere with a 4.0/32, especially in state schools.

FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: Applying to MD/PhD. I've been studying sense the test and I'm considering retaking. I have a 4.0 gpa, good research, track and field NCAA all-american, and great letters of recommendation. Should I retake, or do you guys think I'm good where I'm at?

Same as above. You scored right around average so I would stick with it. You have really great extra stuff too and perfect GPA. If you have a state school with a MD/PhD I think you should be good to go. Never retake unless you are scoring consistently above a 36, but even then it seems risky.

FL AAMC Average: 32.5
Post-test expected score: 27-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34 (12/8/14)
Comments: English is my second language. I have been learning for 6 years now. I am hoping I can use that to explain my low verbal.
That is great score and well above average, congrats!!! I am sure schools will understand and I do not think a 8 will flag too many schools, as long as you are not applying too high.

FL AAMC Average: 35.5
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 12/13/13

Oh my god. I can't even believe this. My highest score on a practice exam was a 37!
I took the TPR online course (look for discount codes- I got $600+ off!), and used their books as well as Examcrackers Audio Osmosis.

That's a bummer :/ I actually can't believe I got an 8 either I was usually more around 10. But I know I suck at gen chem so I really can't complain. Are you going to retake?? I can't decide. I'm sure I can do better if I change my studying a bit... but I'm just not sure.

I probably will not be retaking unless I end up needing to reapply. I hope a 29 will be good enough for osteopathic schools.

FL AAMC Average: 37
Post-test expected score: 34 10/11/13
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 12/13/13

Last time I took it I got a 31 (13/8/10), so I'm very happy with the verbal improvement and the balance. I used EK and Chad's videos exclusively this time which I think really helped. Think this will definitely give me that push to get started on those secondaries.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disappointed. I scored around my average but I was hoping for some sort of miracle. Still deciding if I'm going to retake. Congrats on all of the high scores! Very proud of all of you guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible that only people who were happy with their scores posted??

Based off how the previous threads were you would think not. The majority of recent releases had posts of people scoring below average. As @gettheleadout has said in so many ways, posted scores on SDN are in no way a good representation of the actual results.

I sure am happy to see this though! And congrats again to everyone

Did anyone else walk out of the testing center thinking that you aced Verbal and when you got your scores back today were like "WTF, why is my verbal score so low"?
Do you mind me asking what your practice verbal avg was and how that compared to actual score?

FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (09/09/11)
Last 4 practice exams: 27, 31, 26, 28
ESL; started getting 5 & 6s on verbal and went up to 8 & 9s after doing around 20 verbal section exams
Satisfied with the score... I was worried about phys and verbal

It's awesome to see everyone doing well in this thread, looks like we picked a great day to take it. PS wasn't a killer like we all thought.

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36
(12/13/11)
Comments: Going for MD/PhD--my best score on a practice was a 33 but mostly I was scoring 31's. Thought this was my best verbal section I've ever had and I was right! Interestingly, my normal breakdown was a 10/10/11 with Bio being my highest...looks like I really got the other two going for game day. Thanks to everyone in this thread before scores were posted for keeping me entertained!

FL AAMC Average: 31-33
Post-test expected score: 28-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32
(11/8/13)
Comments: NEED HELP GUYS!! I am a Canadian and will be applying to both US and Canadian schools. For the US, my GPA is 4.0 (3.95 for Canada) and I have what I believe are good extracurriculars (5 years on-going hospital volunteering, 2 research positions, science advisor for the faculty, tutoring, intramurals, etc.) I would have loved an extra VR point. I am not sure if I should rewrite or not !! :( I was not getting much higher than 8-9s on my practice AAMC tests either. Not sure if it is worth rewriting. I am applying this cycle. Any suggestions?

Used this thread a lot during my MCAT freakout sessions, so I thought I would contribute. I think it's helpful to compare but definitely don't use the numbers as an "end all be all". Seeing these posts helped me to feel like I wasn't a complete idiot. Hopefully this will help other perusers of the SDN thread calm down a little.

Test Date:
6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: 30.5
  • AAMC4: 35 (P12/V12/B11) --took two days before actual
  • AAMC7: 30 (10/8/12)
  • AAMC 8: 28 (9/10/9)
  • AAMC9: 32 (12/9/11)
  • AAMC10: 29 (9/10/10)
  • AAMC11: 29 (8/11/10)--took a week before actual exam
Post-test expected score: don't know. Thought I did the best on the bio section but didn't end up that way
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (9/11/10)
Comments: I'm a second timer. My first MCAT in Sept.2012 was a 24 (P9/V7/B8).

Reactions: 8 users
For every 30 and above on here, I estimate there are maybe 7 others who got less than that (Just a random guess lolz)

My buddy scored a 26....on his 3rd retake.... and his highest was a 30. :(

First post

FL AAMC Average: 40 (only over 4 tests though)
  • AAMC 8: 38 (13/12/13)
  • AAMC9: 41 (15/13/13)
  • AAMC10: 40 (14/13/13)
  • AAMC11: 41 (15/11/15)--one week before exam
Post-test expected score: 34 (didn't feel good about PS)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36 (11/12/13)
Comments: Can't complain but mildly disappointed with that PS score seeing as how it's well below my practice tests

Test Date: 6/05/2014 (retake)
FL AAMC Average: 35-36
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: HOLY BEJEESEEEES!!!! I AM SO HAPPY I GOT ABOVE 10 IN EACH SECTION!!! I thought I scored higher in BS than this, and my PS was generally higher, but I honestly couldn't care LESS!!!!! VR was right on my AAMC average. My anxiety just got the best of me. Above 10 in each section is good enough for me. I'm applying MD/PhD (because I'm a research scientist) and/or MD/MBA (because I have loads of business experience). MCAT book burning party at my apartment tonight. I'm pretty sure I have a good shot at some of my first choice schools, especially with my background. But for now I'm going to be working on growing my business. I'll be applying next year for matriculation in 2016. See you all in med school.

(11/8/13)
Comments: NEED HELP GUYS!! I am a Canadian and will be applying to both US and Canadian schools. For the US, my GPA is 4.0 (3.95 for Canada) and I have what I believe are good extracurriculars (5 years on-going hospital volunteering, 2 research positions, science advisor for the faculty, tutoring, intramurals, etc.) I would have loved an extra VR point. I am not sure if I should rewrite or not !! :( I was not getting much higher than 8-9s on my practice AAMC tests either. Not sure if it is worth rewriting. I am applying this cycle. Any suggestions?

For Canadian schools I would definitely rewrite, think that 8 would get you screened out at most ontarian schools at least, not sure about other places. However I think you'll definitely get into a few American schools! A place like Wayne State would take you in a second with those stats.

For Canadian schools I would definitely rewrite, think that 8 would get you screened out at most ontarian schools at least, not sure about other places. However I think you'll definitely get into a few American schools! A place like Wayne State would take you in a second with those stats.

Thanks Dr. Turkelton for the response. That is why I am confused. If I do decide to do a retake (looking at Aug. 1), will AMCAS push my entire application back a month? I don't know if it will be worth doing that. Although, Canadian schools are my first priority. What do you guys think??

Thanks Dr. Turkelton for the response. That is why I am confused. If I do decide to do a retake (looking at Aug. 1), will AMCAS push my entire application back a month? I don't know if it will be worth doing that. Although, Canadian schools are my first priority. What do you guys think??

AMCAS won't push back your app. They'll release an app to schools saying "Intended MCAT date: Aug 1". What it might mean is that schools won't review your app until your MCAT score is in. But if you retake Aug 1 -> scores back first week of Sept, you should be in OK shape. I don't know much for Canadian schools so someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

*please do not quote me*

Test Date:
6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: 36+ (ranged 36-39; averaged a bit over 36.)
Post-test expected score: Better than last time.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 36
Comments: So last time around I scored a XX. Did much lower in PS and V, BS stayed the same. Relieved to score more than a 33 (otherwise the improvement would've seemed insignificant). I felt I did well, and while I hoped I somehow scored more than my AAMC average, I expected to be within 2 points of it. The first time the stress got to me; and I did prepare except for practice tests. Anyway, I feel blessed, and I am excited for all of you that reached/exceeded your goals. To those that didn't reach their goal, study hard and take it again ONLY when you're ready. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
(11/8/13)

32 is great, good job! For US schools I think you will be good, but I believe some Canadian schools screen with the 8. You got right in your average so it kinda leans towards being what you should have gotten. If you are adamant on retaking, only do it when you are CONSISTENLY getting 11+ and at least 35 overall. You want to make sure you PS and BS do not drop.

32 is great, good job! For US schools I think you will be good, but I believe some Canadian schools screen with the 8. You got right in your average so it kinda leans towards being what you should have gotten. If you are adamant on retaking, only do it when you are CONSISTENLY getting 11+ and at least 35 overall. You want to make sure you PS and BS do not drop.

I forgot to mention that I took the test last year as well and did worse: 27 (9-8-10). I've been thinking all day now if I should keep my new 32 (11-8-13) or not... You're right that I would need a big improvement to make the 3rd write worthwhile. The pro to rewriting would be to hope I score a 9 on VR to open doors a little wider for Canadian schools, but I'm risking a potential drop from my new 32 when it comes to US schools since I believe they look at the composite score more than just one particular section...

Used this thread a lot during my MCAT freakout sessions, so I thought I would contribute. I think it's helpful to compare but definitely don't use the numbers as an "end all be all". Seeing these posts helped me to feel like I wasn't a complete idiot. Hopefully this will help other perusers of the SDN thread calm down a little.
FL AAMC Average: 30.5
  • AAMC4: 35 (P12/V12/B11) --took two days before actual
  • AAMC7: 30 (10/8/12)
  • AAMC 8: 28 (9/10/9)
  • AAMC9: 32 (12/9/11)
  • AAMC10: 29 (9/10/10)
  • AAMC11: 29 (8/11/10)--took a week before actual exam
Post-test expected score: don't know. Thought I did the best on the bio section but didn't end up that way
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (9/11/10)
Comments: I'm a second timer. My first MCAT in Sept.2012 was a 24 (P9/V7/B8).

Was there a reason that you took AAMC4 as your last full length instead of AAMC 11?

I forgot to mention that I took the test last year as well and did worse: 27 (9-8-10). I've been thinking all day now if I should keep my new 32 (11-8-13) or not... You're right that I would need a big improvement to make the 3rd write worthwhile. The pro to rewriting would be to hope I score a 9 on VR to open doors a little wider for Canadian schools, but I'm risking a potential drop from my new 32 when it comes to US schools since I believe they look at the composite score more than just one particular section...

You made a nice 5 point jump, and taking it a third time I feel like would be risky especially since you did really well on BS. It is a tough decision, so I would making a "Chance" thread and see where it goes for better responses.

Im proud of us all. If you scored lower than what you anticipated, dont take this as a threat on your future, but rather as a motivation for killing it next time

Post-test expected score: 32-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 10/11/11

Very bummed and not sure what happened. I think the test just seemed to focus on aspects I understudied (one section in Bio just wrecked me, not sure what happened in PS). I felt bad leaving the test, but I figured it was just nerves. I am definitely going to retake, as I feel this score does not accurately represent my understanding of the content. Any tips for a retaker? I still have 8 Kaplan tests and 1 AAMC test left, and access to all the Kaplan online content as well as the books. Should I stick with them, or switch it up? My friend said he would lend me his TPR books if I needed them. I am thinking about a late October retake so I can be done with half of my cell biology course, and have ample time to get a good schedule going while taking my classes. I can probably get my hands on a few more tests as well if need be.

Last edited:

You could always apply to the American schools now with that score if you don't have to indicate you are re-writing, then re-write and submit that score to the Canadian side. As far as I know, up here they don't review the applications in batches in a first-come-first-serve sort of way. If you are sure you can pull a higher VR and score over-all I'd say go for it and try. I've heard lately there is more pressure being put on the VR score.

Though, honestly, I've heard of people getting in with crazier stats. Some days I think there's a huge component of luck.

Great scores everyone!!

Was there a reason that you took AAMC4 as your last full length instead of AAMC 11?

Not necessarily for confidence although it did help to know that my verbal was steady. I took AAMC11 a week before the actual exam because I had heard it was the most difficult. Having a weekend to work through any kinks is helpful. Taking it as my last practice two days before the exam is not really helpful (at least in my opinion).

Post-test expected score: 32-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 10/11/11

Very bummed and not sure what happened. I think the test just seemed to focus on aspects I understudied (one section in Bio just wrecked me, not sure what happened in PS). I felt bad leaving the test, but I figured it was just nerves. I am definitely going to retake, as I feel this score does not accurately represent my understanding of the content. Any tips for a retaker? I still have 8 Kaplan tests and 1 AAMC test left, and access to all the Kaplan online content as well as the books. Should I stick with them, or switch it up? My friend said he would lend me his TPR books if I needed them. I am thinking about a late October retake so I can be done with half of my cell biology course, and have ample time to get a good schedule going while taking my classes. I can probably get my hands on a few more tests as well if need be.

You scored relatively around your average so I would stick with it. You have 10s in all and a 32. You would need a 35+ for any significance on retake so you do not want to risk the chance.

What is your GPA? And what do you think about your work/activities?

AAMC test 3: (PS / V / BS) 34 12/9/13 (day before test)
Actual Score: (PS / V / BS) 36 12/11/13

I was shocked that I didn't get 28, since I felt horrible walking out of the test. I'm glad I never gave up and didn't think about how poorly I thought I did until after I left the test center. I studied 20 hours from January to April and then another 80 hours in the month directly before the test. At first I started out with 12/8/8, then I focused on improving the verbal and biology scores while largely ignoring physics and gen chem. I guess it worked.

Some background:
I have a 4.00 science GPA and 3.99 overall
My extracurriculars are probably on the lower end (150+ hours hospital volunteering, light involvement with student organizations, 2.5 years of research with 3 groups).
I also have yet to submit my application... When is the latest to submit while still having a good chance?

Last edited:

I was shocked that I didn't get 28, since I felt horrible walking out of the test. I'm glad I never gave up and didn't think about how poorly I thought I did until after I left the test center. I studied 20 hours from January to April and then another 80 hours in the month directly before the test. At first I started out with 12/8/8, then I focused on improving the verbal and biology scores while largely ignoring physics and gen chem. I guess it worked.

Some background:
My extracurriculars are probably on the lower end (150+ hours hospital volunteering, light involvement with student organizations, 2.5 years of research with 3 groups).
I also have yet to submit my application... When is the latest to submit while still having a good chance?
Do it ASAP. Before July 20th in any case.

Do it ASAP. Before July 20th in any case.
I will be able to submit it by then (I'm waiting on a English major to edit my personal statements and he should be done this week). Just out of curiosity, is there any significance to July 20?

just do it by mid july-late july to be considered for the earlier interviews. even doing it by august 1 isn't horrible but it is pushing it. this assumes it doesn't get sent back to be fixed and there isn't some kind of abnormal delay in amcas verification processes.

damn, kinda wishing i had kept my original test date of june 5 instead of switching to june 13... good on y'all - a lot of great scores here.

Some background:

Those are not 'lower end' ECs lol. Good job on your MCAT! Earlier you apply, the better.

Some background:

Also, Salam :)

AAMC average: 33
Actual Score: 31 (10/10/11)
Comments: I was hoping to meet or exceed my average like many other on this thread. Oh well. I'm only applying MD. Retake?
gpa c3.78/s3.76

AAMC average: 33
Actual Score: 31 (10/10/11)
Comments: I was hoping to meet or exceed my average like many other on this thread. Oh well. I'm only applying MD. Retake?
gpa c3.78/s3.76

I would say absolutely do not retake, unless you just can't stand to become a doctor anywhere but a top 20 program. You will get accepted with those stats, and if you don't, it wouldn't be because of your mcat. Just my 2 cents. That's a good score!