The Official June 5, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I don't know about you guys, but other mcat threads using this format really really helped me to try to stop stressing. So I know it was mentioned before, but now that we're closer, let's put it in this format so that everybody else who hasn't taken it yet can benefit like we did.

Test Date:
6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: xx
Post-test expected score: xx
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) xx (x/x/x)
Comments:

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard bad things about the demoralizing effects of SDN, but the commiseration level on this thread is extremely comforting! At least for another hour!!
I know, and I don't see why people think SDN will destroy you if you go on it. I couldn't stay sane right now without the camaraderie. Almost the only texts and emails I've gotten are from ignorant but well-meaning people who have no idea what I'm up against.

Members don't see this ad :)
27 mins to go. Wishing everyone the best. Even if the score is not what you like, try remembering the craziness happening in other parts of the world. We have it good and always the opportunity for a retake.

Yeah, everybody I know is expecting me to tell them. It puts so much more pressure on something that's already a huge deal. That's another reason why I really like these forums, because if you're not pre-med, then you will not understand how difficult this all is. People just assume I will do well, because they don't have any idea how hard this test and everything else about trying to become a doctor is.
This!!! And it's those people who think the MCAT is just "another test", meanwhile they've NEVER taken a practice test, let alone done a single practice question. :rolleyes:

27 mins to go. Wishing everyone the best. Even if the score is not what you like, try remembering the craziness happening in other parts of the world. We have it good and always the opportunity for a retake.
So true. We have it SO good.

kind of like some premed advisors ahem... -_-
Exactly! There is that reoccurring rumor that some pre-med advisors are former pre-meds who never made it and love torturing and projecting their frustrations and feelings of immense disappointment onto innocent pre-meds. Run-on sentence, I know! It just pisses me off! LOL

Exactly! There is that reoccurring rumor that some pre-med advisors are former pre-meds who never made it and love torturing and projecting their frustrations and feelings of immense disappointment onto innocent pre-meds. Run-on sentence, I know! It just pisses me off! LOL
I hope I wont end up being one of them in 15-20 years.lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I would believe it!

Last edited:
Really? Ours are a Bio prof with decades of experience helping Pre-Meds (I don't think he was ever pre-med...very typical professorial type) and a lawyer-turned-administrator who just happened to help start the program.

Test Date: 6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: 34.25
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (13/14/11)
Comments: Best day of my life.

Reactions: 12 users
FL AAMC Average: 38.5
Post-test expected score: 29-34
Actual: 39
Comments: Self studied for 2 months and used TPR for content review; EK, AAMC, TPR for practice. Liked EK over TPR for practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
FL AAMC Average: 38.5
Post-test expected score: 29-34
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (14/10/15)
Comments: Relieved since I got zero minutes of REM sleep the night before the exam. Onto the next!

Can I have some of your biology skills? Seriously though spill the secret.

FL AAMC Average: AAMC 3 = 28. AAMC 11 = 31. AAMC 10 = 30. Kaplan: 24 up to 31.
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (10/10/10)

Comments: I only studied for two weeks and I am a young applicant just finishing my sophomore year, so I am very satisfied. I am also a natural standardized test taker so take that with a grain of salt. I felt very stressed about the PS (randomly marked a whole section) and very good about the BS... so you can see it evens out. Also, my AAMC 10 I took in spaced-out sections and I was very sick of studying (as I said, crammed in two weeks) on top of feeling confident, so I didn't really give it a full effort.

If you're looking for advice (because I was): It is true what they say about AAMC 11; it is hard but best indicator. I recommend Kaplan practice tests if your main struggles are sciences. I guess it's also true to expect 2 less than your best practice score (maybe I was lucky).

Now, off to enjoy the rest of my summer for real. I hope you all do the same. Best of luck.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: <30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/8/11)
Comments: Relieved that I hit a 30 but not sure if I should retake. Honestly though I thought I got like a ~26 or something much less than 30 so I am very grateful.

FL AAMC Average: Around 29
Post-test expected score: Below 30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/11/11)
Comments: Pretty relieved, my GPA isn't brilliant, but I am non-trad and will not be retaking. : )

Test date: 6/5/14
AAMC average: 28 (only took #3)
Post test expected score:24-28
Actual score: 29 (7/10/12)
Comments: while I'm mad at myself with the crappy PS score verbal went much better than expected. I definitely should've spent more time studying gen chem.

Probably won't retake this cycle. I'm applying DO and MD, hopefully that 7 won't close too many doors.

FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/11/10)
Comments: Balanced as hell. Holy ****. I'm not retaking.

Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 27.5
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (8/10/11)
Comments: Been lurking for a long long time. Can't say I'm surprised, but I was really itching for that 30 to be sure I didn't want to retake!! Gen chem gets me every time...

FL AAMC Average: 26
Post-test expected score: 24
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 26 (7/10/9)
Comments: I'm pretty upset because on AAMC practice test 11 I got a 27. What's confusing me the most is the 10 on verbal and the 9 on bio. I have never ever scored above an 8 on verbal, and i scored 5 consistent 11's on bio in a row. PS was gonna be a crapshoot regardless. Let's hope a DO school takes me! Gl to you all. I'll tell you guys what I have been telling myself; My happiness and life is not dictated by this test and everyone's start to their medical journey is different. (Also comments about my low aamc test averages.. I'm not a good test taker. Never have been and never will be, let's hope my g.p.a. makes up for this!)

pretty devastated...First mcat: 11/4/11

Now: 12/4/12....it looks like I've zero chance for MD...sigh....

I don't know what's going on with verbal....i really tried hard and was averaging around 8 in my practice....idk
I'm sorry this happened!

Congratulation.

Please share your secret

Thank you! Honestly, I just worked really really hard. I took a Kaplan course and used mcatreview.org. I kinda condensed the kaplan course because I ran out of time making flashcards from mcatreview.org. But honestly, most of my flashcards were bio and it's what I did the least well at. So much luck is involved. I honestly could have been just as prepared and made a 29 or lower. I peaked at the right time.

AAMC 3: 33
Kaplan FL 1: 34
AAMC 4: 34
AAMC5: 36

The Kaplan text books were the most helpful, and I memorized every single formula, so I figured I could derive just about any answer. Any other questions ANYONE has, feel free to inbox me. I'm obviously no expert, but I definitely know how stressful and grueling this process can be.

FL AAMC Average: AAMC 7 = 31. AAMC 9 = 32. AAMC 10 = 33. AAMC 11 = 36.
Post-test expected score: 27-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36 (12/12/12)
Comments: Physics is my weakness so I thought I got like an 8 or 9. I always got 10 on Verbal on AAMC so I was scared I might've fell down to 9 during the test due to nerves. Usually get 12-14 on bio so I guess the curve was harsh. Very happy due to the even spread though!

Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 29.5
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (8/11/10)
Comments: Well, it's better than I thought, but I really wanted to break 30 at least. Most likely retaking, but not for this cycle.

Yes English is my second language..never spoke english in home in childhood...i don't think i have energy in me to retake it...i'm already verified (just added 1 school)
the fact that it's your second language helps...your science scores are super great, so i wouldn't completely lose hope...i would look really hard for schools that don't screen out based on MCAT subscores and spend alot of time on the secondaries and make sure they're perfect.