The Official July 2nd 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Francium87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's writing the MCAT on July 2nd is welcome to post any of your thoughts, prep material in use or anything you guys think about the exam

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who's writing the MCAT on July 2nd is welcome to post any of your thoughts, prep material in use or anything you guys think about the exam
Yes, I am shooting for July as well. Although not registered right now, but I will do so soon. I am using Kaplan mostly, but out here in SDN I see that most people use EK(exam crackers), BR(berkley review). Any advise? Should I leave Kaplan? Am I wasting my time?

Yes, I am shooting for July as well. Although not registered right now, but I will do so soon. I am using Kaplan mostly, but out here in SDN I see that most people use EK(exam crackers), BR(berkley review). Any advise? Should I leave Kaplan? Am I wasting my time?

Take a match to the Kaplan books; you do yourself and your future a huge favor. Based on your current grasp of the content, EK, TPR or TBR should get you there, the latter being your best choice.

Take a match to the Kaplan books; you do yourself and your future a huge favor. Based on your current grasp of the content, EK, TPR or TBR should get you there, the latter being your best choice.
Thanks I appreciate it. I will do TBR books as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

hmm what I'm doing is using:

>TBR for G-chem and Physics,Orgo as content material and practice
>TPR for Biology as content material and practice (science work book)

I really think TBR Bio contents are in deep detail that you don't need for the exam, but that's just my opinion. For Biology TBR practice exams (at the end of each chapter) they're o.k. but again not represent the real deal exam. I think of them as you're required to use a lot of outside knowledge than what's given in the passage which is not what the MCAT style is.

Kaplan not sure about their books but I would like to know what their Qbank
http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Prep-for-the-MCAT/On-Demand/mcat-qbank.html

if anyone had used it before and like to comment on the type of questions it has, would be great

i am shooting for July as well and i am starting studying now.. I am using Kaplan and exam crackers to study.. i can't afford a class so i just will study alone :)

Same here, I have all the resources I need
I finished Kaplan Physics book and it is too simplistic I think. But the author tells you what is necessary for MCAT and what is not reqd. My strategy will be to cover the Kaplan books to get a feel of subjecct matter and then jump over to TBR, EK(exam crackers) for more material and problem solving. I don't have TPR. I hope I don't regret that. So essentially I will live with Kaplan, TBR, EK, AAMC. I hope that is sufficient. I had no idea Kaplan has a QBank. Not sure if I want to do that at this point. I have the EK 1001 question and they are tedious but give you a good practice. I did 229 questions on 1'st chap physics and they were quite simple.

I work as a staff for a Medical school in the ITS (information technology) dept. I see the white coats dudes and dudettes every single day. I see them crossing the street or in the lobby in cafetteria, eating and talking and laughing etc. I want to be like them next year....:). But I wonder if the medical school that I work for will have an issue if I apply as a student next year. I am told, don't worry about that. Just get a good MCAT score and apply. So I guess I will take their word for it and not worry. But what I want to say is that when I see all these medical students every single day, it inspires me immensely. I keep wondering which year they are, what are they reading, their books, subjects and experiences so far........

I finished Kaplan Physics book and it is too simplistic I think. But the author tells you what is necessary for MCAT and what is not reqd. My strategy will be to cover the Kaplan books to get a feel of subjecct matter and then jump over to TBR, EK(exam crackers) for more material and problem solving. I don't have TPR. I hope I don't regret that. So essentially I will live with Kaplan, TBR, EK, AAMC. I hope that is sufficient. I had no idea Kaplan has a QBank. Not sure if I want to do that at this point. I have the EK 1001 question and they are tedious but give you a good practice. I did 229 questions on 1'st chap physics and they were quite simple.

Ugh speaking of EK1001, they're time consuming but they are good to solidify yr MCAT science foundations....I have finished Bio 101 passages (+notes), and now I'm working on Physics and G-Chem EK 1001. Every Chapter I finish reading (from TBR), I do EK1001 for that chapter then I make notes on the questions I think I need to solidify my knowledge on, then I do TBR practice exam (52 questions 2012 edition) at the end of the chapter and again make notes.

I heard about the Kaplan Qbank that it contains 1000 questions and you actually can design your own exam by selecting the type of questions your in favor of, cool eh ,,,I remember it was 199$ per three month back on December, now it said contact them for price and availability ... probably will contact them when I'm done with all my resources if I need extra more problems to do before the exam

I work as a staff for a Medical school in the ITS (information technology) dept. I see the white coats dudes and dudettes every single day. I see them crossing the street or in the lobby in cafetteria, eating and talking and laughing etc. I want to be like them next year....:). But I wonder if the medical school that I work for will have an issue if I apply as a student next year. I am told, don't worry about that. Just get a good MCAT score and apply. So I guess I will take their word for it and not worry. But what I want to say is that when I see all these medical students every single day, it inspires me immensely. I keep wondering which year they are, what are they reading, their books, subjects and experiences so far........

I don't think they'll have any issue with you as long as your level of maturity fit in the wide range and yr MCAT scores is decent then you should be good to go.

Let me just say that honestly what's keeping me motivated is not school at the moment since I graduated on August of 2012 but the volunteer hours I'm doing at the hospital at a floor where patients are suffering in their last days, I mean you would talk to a patient for one day and he/she is laughing, giggling and conversing with you and the next day he or she is not in the roaster list, well what happened?He/she passed away.... :eek: Anyway, what I'm trying to say is when you devote some of your time to volunteer and have visit the sick, it keeps your motivation up and inspire you to really study for this brutal exam and pass it with yr 100% effort

Hey guys, just signed up for a retake on June 2 today :(. I took it on Jan. 24 and didn't do as well as I wanted. I'm planning on using SN2ed schedule this time around. I'm ready to slay this this beast! :diebanana:

I don't think they'll have any issue with you as long as your level of maturity fit in the wide range and yr MCAT scores is decent then you should be good to go.

Let me just say that honestly what's keeping me motivated is not school at the moment since I graduated on August of 2012 but the volunteer hours I'm doing at the hospital at a floor where patients are suffering in their last days, I mean you would talk to a patient for one day and he/she is laughing, giggling and conversing with you and the next day he or she is not in the roaster list, well what happened?He/she passed away.... :eek: Anyway, what I'm trying to say is when you devote some of your time to volunteer and have visit the sick, it keeps your motivation up and inspire you to really study for this brutal exam and pass it with yr 100% effort
I agree with you. I know it would motivate me as well if I were in your position, visiting the terminally ill patients and talking to them. I am not volunteering right now. Just want to get MCAT out of the way.

I looked at the MCAT physics 1 book by TBR and was very impressed. The questions are exactly in the MCAT passage style. So I am going to change my study plan and start doing TBR books from now onwards and keep EK, Kaplan for problem solving and practice.

Met a guy yesterday who planned to take MCAT two weeks from now i.e., late March I guess. He was doing his 4'th content review of EK. EK was his primary focus. He also did classroom course for Kaplan and did all AAMC practice test. He told me he got mid 30's with AAMC practice tests. He just breezed through Kaplan, did not pay much attention. He planned on taking a few exams by TBR online, which he told me were very tough. But he did not touch TBR books at all. So anyways, I guess he is ready to tackle MCAT....:).

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but hey, I figured I might as well make this my reality check in order to tell myself to get a move on with the studying. I am planning on getting through the first TBR Physics book this week as well as squeezing in some content review for Biology through EK Bio. Goal is to finish most of my content review by 4/19, so I can start taking practice tests then.

Countdown: 111 DAYS! (Miscounted in previous post.)

True, but hey, I figured I might as well make this my reality check in order to tell myself to get a move on with the studying. I am planning on getting through the first TBR Physics book this week as well as squeezing in some content review for Biology through EK Bio. Goal is to finish most of my content review by 4/19, so I can start taking practice tests then.

Countdown: 111 DAYS! (Miscounted in previous post.)

Hi guys, I was originally looking at June 20 hence my post under that group list. Now that I have reorganized my plans, I will be taking it July 2! I am using SN2ed plus Kaplan online material (mostly for practice stuff). I will start the studying in about a week because I figured I need to work on my essays for the primary etc. I am re-taking the test, so if anyone has questions regarding the books or methodology ask me---i am familiar with most of the kaplan, EK, TBR and TPR books. Last time around, I invested about 80% on content review and did reasonably well on the sciences but miserably failed on the verbal. So this time, I am going to be focusing more on practice and in particular unleash my potential for the verbal reasoning section or at least try my best. Keep your heads up and NEVER, EVER give up cause it sucks to give up! Good luck to u all!

Hi guys, I was originally looking at June 20 hence my post under that group list. Now that I have reorganized my plans, I will be taking it July 2! I am using SN2ed plus Kaplan online material (mostly for practice stuff). I will start the studying in about a week because I figured I need to work on my essays for the primary etc. I am re-taking the test, so if anyone has questions regarding the books or methodology ask me---i am familiar with most of the kaplan, EK, TBR and TPR books. Last time around, I invested about 80% on content review and did reasonably well on the sciences but miserably failed on the verbal. So this time, I am going to be focusing more on practice and in particular unleash my potential for the verbal reasoning section or at least try my best. Keep your heads up and NEVER, EVER give up cause it sucks to give up! Good luck to u all!

Welcome to the July 2nd club! We will definitely rock this!

I am trying to fit 23 practice tests in before the real deal, so we'll see how it goes. Starting up my MCAT studying is the hardest part.

Hey Guys! I'm shooting for July as well. I haven't signed up yet. I'm looking for a study partner. That way we could keep each other on track, ask each other questions. Just kind of online on skype or chat or something so that way there's someone there for moral support. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Hey Guys! I'm shooting for July as well. I haven't signed up yet. I'm looking for a study partner. That way we could keep each other on track, ask each other questions. Just kind of online on skype or chat or something so that way there's someone there for moral support. Anyone think this is a good idea?

What materials are you using? I'm definitely up for a study partner/think it's a good idea.

Welcome to the July 2nd club! We will definitely rock this!

I am trying to fit 23 practice tests in before the real deal, so we'll see how it goes. Starting up my MCAT studying is the hardest part.
23 practice test is plenty of practice. Could you break that up please, like how you got to that number. Thanks!!!

What materials are you using? I'm definitely up for a study partner/think it's a good idea.
I am all for a study partner. I think I will be posting my questions on this forum.

For a start I have some confusion on Golgi aparatus. I have read it repackages, rebundles proteins and makes lysosomes but just wondering if it does any synthesis of lipids and carbohydrates? What would be its main function? Some clarification on this will help. Also, Is Mitochondiral DNA always circular? Can it be a linear strand?

Hi Doctorphilic,
I afraid of verbal :( I'm not spending so much time on reading passages now, I'm only reading web news (which account for about 30% of my daily time, the rest of my time 70% I'm concentrating on content review which by the end of this month I will be done with physics' content review (+TBR practice passages) which puts an end to my science content review)

I'm starting Verbal passages on April, May and June - intense reading meaning I would reverse the ratio of my current habit to 70% of my time spent on verbal and 30% on reviewing sciences content and doing more passages, probably would finish princeton science work book.

For the sciences would you say that your FL practice exams average sciences' score were more or less the same to your actual scores? for those that matched, which FL exams did u use beside AAMC's (TBR? Kaplan?Princeton?)

Btw thumbs up to your inspiration message "Keep your heads up and NEVER, EVER give up cause it sucks to give up! Good luck to u all!":thumbup:

I am all for a study partner. I think I will be posting my questions on this forum.

For a start I have some confusion on Golgi aparatus. I have read it repackages, rebundles proteins and makes lysosomes but just wondering if it does any synthesis of lipids and carbohydrates? What would be its main function? Some clarification on this will help. Also, Is Mitochondiral DNA always circular? Can it be a linear strand?

mtDNA is typically circular--this is what we typically see. However, in several unicellular organisms (ex. green algae) and very few multicellular organisms, you'll fine linear mtDNA! I'd say the main job of the Golgi apparatus is to transport proteins (as you said repackaging, rebundling, etc.). Secondary function would be lipid/carbs synthesis and making lysosomes. I think you know your material, and I don't think the MCAT will ask any specifically nit-picky questions. As long as you know what the organelle does...

For my MCAT test number, I'm finishing school around the second week of May, so I was just planning on taking around three tests a week until the test! No magic number---more what is do-able without me burning out.

Francium, I don't think I'll be able to completely finish Content Review until May, but after that, just simple problems, problems, problems, and REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW. :)

Hey guys, I am signed up for the 7/2/13 MCAT. I am using the TPR for content review and also using BR passages. I worked as a Test Center Administrator for 3 years, so if anyone has a question about Prometric or the test day process, etc. Just let me know, I will be happy to help.

The weekend is here guys. Make the most of it for MCAT study. I just read the last few pages of official March 2013 thread and got so nervous and scared!!! Gosh! the March 23'rd test takers are going crazy. They are knocking down full length BR exams and AAMC exams like its reading a chapter or something. Some folks are getting hideously high scores i.e,, mid 30's and above and some are screaming for having beaten the 32 mark. It definitely pumps me up to give more to MCAT than I am currently doing......

The weekend is here guys. Make the most of it for MCAT study. I just read the last few pages of official March 2013 thread and got so nervous and scared!!! Gosh! the March 23'rd test takers are going crazy. They are knocking down full length BR exams and AAMC exams like its reading a chapter or something. Some folks are getting hideously high scores i.e,, mid 30's and above and some are screaming for having beaten the 32 mark. It definitely pumps me up to give more to MCAT than I am currently doing......

So, does that mean it was easy or hard? I guess it just depends on the test. I remember when I took mine last Sept, there was uproar about some specific info (I personally felt the science was doable but the verbal ---I was like what planet am I from?). Anyways, will start hardcore this Monday (got by TBR books ---yeaaaaaaah). Good luck!

Hi Doctorphilic,
I afraid of verbal :( I'm not spending so much time on reading passages now, I'm only reading web news (which account for about 30% of my daily time, the rest of my time 70% I'm concentrating on content review which by the end of this month I will be done with physics' content review (+TBR practice passages) which puts an end to my science content review)

I'm starting Verbal passages on April, May and June - intense reading meaning I would reverse the ratio of my current habit to 70% of my time spent on verbal and 30% on reviewing sciences content and doing more passages, probably would finish princeton science work book.

For the sciences would you say that your FL practice exams average sciences' score were more or less the same to your actual scores? for those that matched, which FL exams did u use beside AAMC's (TBR? Kaplan?Princeton?)

Btw thumbs up to your inspiration message "Keep your heads up and NEVER, EVER give up cause it sucks to give up! Good luck to u all!":thumbup:

Great to hear from you Francium87, I went to school in Cali (bay area) too. Anyways, glad you are making progress. I finally got my books and will be starting up my modified version of SN2ed this Monday. As for the sciences, I only took about 1 AAMC FL first time around to see how the exam looked but that is part of the mistake. So, I did relatively well (10, 10) for sciences purely based on strong content review so I am going to up that game with practice and we will see what happens. For verbal, I did a few passages from EK (worth 3 exams) but never got around finishing it---big mistake again. I guess I was playing it dumb and never took the verbal with any degree of seriousness---a mistake that was partly emanating from my concerns for that section. This time around I will focus more on reading outside stuff (actually check out the list of some philosophy and other writings on wikipremed). I feel like they are better than news (with the exception of the New Yorker). People love the Economist but I found the real MCAT to be more sophisticated and denser than the usually terse arguments the Economist is known for.

For the actual practice, people think EK101 and TPR verbal workbooks are the best. And I agree with this assessment considering my limited familiarity with these books. Finally, start out with 3-4 verbal passages per day and up the game as you get closer to your FLs. You will have plenty of opportunity to take Full verbal exams when you take FL so I like the idea of building up the critical reading/reasoning skills using fewer but timed passages in the beginning. I will let you know how this unfolds later on.

Lastly, also check out the Official Guide to the MCAT (this book also has some key info on how to approach verbal and I like how they explain their reasoning---well they are from AAMC ). Actually, I spent the last few weeks just researching issues on critical reading/reasoning for verbal and the stuff that I put together actually resembles what the AAMC has laid out in their description of the verbal in the official Guide Book. I was really surprised. Let us keep each other updated and I will have more to say as I delve into this taxing but rewarding experience.

So, does that mean it was easy or hard? I guess it just depends on the test. I remember when I took mine last Sept, there was uproar about some specific info (I personally felt the science was doable but the verbal ---I was like what planet am I from?). Anyways, will start hardcore this Monday (got by TBR books ---yeaaaaaaah). Good luck!
Did you take last year Sep 1 exam? I took that one. Yes there was an uproar! about the Bio section. I personally think that was the toughest Bio section I have ever seen. All passages were experiment based. There were no discreets I think. I wish I could get that exam for practice.

Did you take last year Sep 1 exam? I took that one. Yes there was an uproar! about the Bio section. I personally think that was the toughest Bio section I have ever seen. All passages were experiment based. There were no discreets I think. I wish I could get that exam for practice.

Shooot, I haven't been MCATing. Behind schedule. :(

Shooot, I haven't been MCATing. Behind schedule. :(

Me too, I was suppose to finish all physics chapters by the 15th of this month and do practice passages for the next 15 days lol..it's 20th NOW!! and I still have two chapters left (Electromagnetism +Optics). I think my problem is, I go beyond each chapter's content (youtube, MCAT review, AAMC topics list) to explore any twist or flavor a concept can have.

btw: I had so much fun with waves and periodic motion + Fluids :mad:

Question: In the Kaplan Orgo book, second chap on Isomerism, there is a section towards the end where they discuss conformational isomers which are named as per Newman projections. There is a graph of potential energy v/s each of the different conformations like gauche, eclipsed, total eclipsed, staggered. Why is the gauche conformation (60 deg) less than eclipsed (120) - since the eclipsed methyl groups are further apart so they should be more stable due to less steric hindrances. Any thoughts?

Question: In the same chapter they also talk about Cis and Trans Geometric Isomers and so is my understanding correct that cis and trans are only when there are 2 substitutents in alkenes or cycloalkanes and Z and E are used if there are more than 2 substituents across a double bond. The Z and E confuse the heck out of me and Kaplan doesn't do a good job explaining them. Any thoughts?

Question: In the same chapter, there is some discussion on equatorial substitutents v/s axial substituents in a chair conformation for cyclohexanes. Now the last figure in that chapter does not say as much that straight lines projecting top and bottom of page in a chair conformation are axial and those at an angle are equatorial. Is that a safe assumption for those kinds of figures?

Btw, this chapters on Isomerism from Kaplan is great. I recommed u read it at least once.

I don't have Kaplan, but I will try to answer your questions

Question: In the Kaplan Orgo book, second chap on Isomerism, there is a section towards the end where they discuss conformational isomers which are named as per Newman projections. There is a graph of potential energy v/s each of the different conformations like gauche, eclipsed, total eclipsed, staggered. Why is the gauche conformation (60 deg) less than eclipsed (120) - since the eclipsed methyl groups are further apart so they should be more stable due to less steric hindrances. Any thoughts?

If you have two methyl groups aside from each other like in Butane then by taking C2-C3 as our rotator axis the gauche conformation should be more stable than the eclipsed ...your molecule is probably different, I have to see the entire molecule but I'm thinking the hydrogen bonding is involved in eclipsed and not in gauche which makes it more stabler therefore located at a lower position in the conformation energy diagram.

Question: In the same chapter they also talk about Cis and Trans Geometric Isomers and so is my understanding correct that cis and trans are only when there are 2 substitutents in alkenes or cycloalkanes and Z and E are used if there are more than 2 substituents across a double bond. The Z and E confuse the heck out of me and Kaplan doesn't do a good job explaining them. Any thoughts?

Let say u have 2-bromo-3-chlorobutene

Br ----------- Cl

.... C = C

CH3----------- CH3

you can't say this is a Cis or Trans (since the attached groups are not the same, therefore you have to use the E and Z system)

The molecule above is Z (as in Zis =the same) since the 2 higher priority groups are on the same side of the double bond

Question: In the same chapter, there is some discussion on equatorial substitutents v/s axial substituents in a chair conformation for cyclohexanes. Now the last figure in that chapter does not say as much that straight lines projecting top and bottom of page in a chair conformation are axial and those at an angle are equatorial. Is that a safe assumption for those kinds of figures?

In a chair cyclohexane conformation, yes the straight lines are axial and the angled lines are equatorial.

Last edited:
I don't have Kaplan, but I will try to answer your questions

If you have two methyl groups aside from each other like in Butane then by taking C2-C3 as our rotator axis the gauche conformation should be more stable than the eclipsed ...your molecule is probably different, I have to see the entire molecule but I'm thinking the hydrogen bonding is involved in eclipsed and not in gauche which makes it more stabler therefore located at a lower position in the conformation energy diagram.

Let say u have 2-bromo-3-chlorobutene

Br ----------- Cl

.... C = C

CH3----------- CH3

you can't say this is a Cis or Trans (since the attached groups are not the same, therefore you have to use the E and Z system)

The molecule above is Z (as in Zis =the same) since the 2 higher priority groups are on the same side of the double bond

In a chair cyclohexane conformation, yes the straight lines are axial and the angled lines are equatorial.
Thanks Francium87: I appreciate your explanations. You are right about Gauche and Eclipsed. It is the proximity of hydrogen and methyl which causes the rise in potential energy. And also the other two questions. I understand your explanation and thanks for your effort.

C'mon people, March is almost over. Try to finish your 1'st content review by Mid April and then start revision of content review, question solvings from other sources, and practice exams after that. We are almost there. Exam day is not far.......:). I am trying to finish the 1'st content review as fast as possible because quite likely I am not going to retain much in the 1'st go round. I have to read the content like 4, 5 times and then solve many questions to become really familiar with it.

Was wondering if there is a good resource to read up on concepts such as 'nucleophilicity', 'basicity', 'electrophiles', and 'Sn1', 'Sn2', E1', 'E2' reactions.
I've read it from Kaplan and they do fairly well but I want to dig into this further to really get a good grasp of it. Any ideas? How do EK and TBR compare? I have a lot of confusion and questions hence the reason for asking....

High to low electronegative: F,O,N (Phone) Cl (call), Br (be right back), C, S, I (CSI is on), P, H (please hold).

Was wondering if there is a good resource to read up on concepts such as 'nucleophilicity', 'basicity', 'electrophiles', and 'Sn1', 'Sn2', E1', 'E2' reactions.
I've read it from Kaplan and they do fairly well but I want to dig into this further to really get a good grasp of it. Any ideas? How do EK and TBR compare? I have a lot of confusion and questions hence the reason for asking....

http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2012/11/21/deciding-sn1sn2e1e2-1-the-substrate/

is a good source to read and make notes about all the above, I'm will be starting my science content review tomorrow (Bio, Orgo, chem and physics) I will update you on the differences :thumbup:

70% of my time will be devoted for verbal reasoning and 30% would be toward science content review + passages for the month of April

Here's my plan

finish 101 Verbal
finish 1001 GCHEM
finish 1001 Physics
finish 1001 Orgo

Finish TBR physics (passages) about 750 passage base questions
Finish TBR GChem (passages) about 1000 passage base questions
Finish TPR Bio (passages)
Finish TBR Orgo (passages)

Thanks for the link. It is a good resource, I can see that. I plan to read the links on reaction mechanisms. I saw Khan Academy videos on Reaction Mechanisms and they are reasonably good. Your schedule for April looks very ambitious if I may say so. But if you have done TBR once, it should be ok (I hope). Good luck. I should finish Kaplan content review by mid April and then flat out revisions and questions from 1001 and TBR passages etc. It will take some time to go through all those questions so I am a bit scared if I can put this off along with 40 hr work week. I am planning to start AAMC exams by May 18'th, with one exam every weekend. Hopefully that will give me enough practice.

There was a question in Kaplan on which embryology structure which has the highest cellular to cytoplasmic ratio (remember reduction division in a zygote) and the choices were 'Morula', 'Blastocyst', '8 cell structure' and something else. I chose Morula which was wrong. The answer as per Kaplan was Blastocyst, which I found quite odd since Blastocyst has a cavity called Blastocoel in the middle which I assume is filled with cytoplasm. Still confusing to me. I don't believe it is Blastocyst.

There was a question in Kaplan on which embryology structure which has the highest cellular to cytoplasmic ratio (remember reduction division in a zygote) and the choices were 'Morula', 'Blastocyst', '8 cell structure' and something else. I chose Morula which was wrong. The answer as per Kaplan was Blastocyst, which I found quite odd since Blastocyst has a cavity called Blastocoel in the middle which I assume is filled with cytoplasm. Still confusing to me. I don't believe it is Blastocyst.

the cytoplasm volume is the same throughout all the stages of zygote division, what changes is the cellular content (chromosome, proteins etc) as cell divides cellular content increase

c/V >>>>many divisions>>>> C/V

Yes, the cytoplasm volume remains the same, as you said. So they neglect fluid filled cavity blastoceol completely, but the question should have stated that explicitly to avoid confusion, i guess. I have been reading solutions, phase changes, acid base reactions etc. Raoult's law in particular. There are caveats to Raoult's law, i.e., when it applies to solutions and when not. I have to dig deeper into that, from other sources to really understand.

I have been writing some questions and stuff. To keep my tempo, keep going. I hope everybody else - although not writing - are doing great as well in their preparation. Besides, if we talk , discuss, sometimes things stick in our heads and we remember. For ex., I read that Pyrrole - does not obey Huckle's rule but it is still aromatic. The lone pair of electrons on Nitrogen in Pyrrole conjugate with the pi electrons, so instead of 4 pi electrons we have 6. Anyways, interesting I thought. There are always, always, always exceptions to rules, rules, rules in OChem....:).

I have been writing some questions and stuff. To keep my tempo, keep going. I hope everybody else - although not writing - are doing great as well in their preparation. Besides, if we talk , discuss, sometimes things stick in our heads and we remember. For ex., I read that Pyrrole - does not obey Huckle's rule but it is still aromatic. The lone pair of electrons on Nitrogen in Pyrrole conjugate with the pi electrons, so instead of 4 pi electrons we have 6. Anyways, interesting I thought. There are always, always, always exceptions to rules, rules, rules in OChem....:).

Me too, I really like writing things that I barely remember too, it's like a different part of my brain that said (student doc website-MCAT info storage) hehe ..but regarding Huckle's rule 4n+2 or number of pi electrons inside the ring must be one of the following 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, etc u see I'm adding 4 everytime and you must start with 6...so pyrrole should be 2+2+2=6 ...the reason why the lone pair on the nitrogen is counted for because it participates in the ring resonance ...be aware of a twist that the MCAT might ask you for whether or not pyridine follows Huckle's rule

oh you might say well its 2+2+2+2=8 that's not one of the magic numbers (6, 10, 14, 18 etc) therefore its not aromatic ..but wait ...the unshared electron pair on nitrogen is perpendicular to the π cloud and does not count in determining aromaticity.

Oh and yesterday I started Verbal ... I got a 6 on AAMC 3 that's gonna be tough to improve, oh well a voice in the back of my head is saying "for every problem there has to be a solution" I have to stay positive ..or else negativity will eat me from the inside out

So pyridine is an exception to an exception. I did not know that. I swear I would have marked it as non-aromatic having counted the 2 lone pairs on Nitrogen as well and come to number 8. So in pyridine the lone pair does not conjugate with pi electrons because of orientation. Good to know. I got a 7 on my AAMC 3 verbal, last year. I've got to start Verbal too. I was planning to do a passage or two everyday in the morning before leaving for work. So far it has not happened, but I've got to start doing that. Verbal needs daily work :smuggrin::, that's the only way to do it---I think.

sps27 and anyone who is interested in sharing, I was thinking if we could include a web link to an article/essay/topic that has new info. could be interesting to read and perhaps could gain some knowledge from, something the test writers would think of to include as a verbal passage. they like to test us on topics that are not familiar.

here is one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers

sps27 and anyone who is interested in sharing, I was thinking if we could include a web link to an article/essay/topic that has new info. could be interesting to read and perhaps could gain some knowledge from, something the test writers would think of to include as a verbal passage. they like to test us on topics that are not familiar.

here is one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers
Francium - 87, I think that's a great idea. I like that. Every bit helps in verbal. If I come across some webite/passage - I will definitely pass it along. I started my verbal prep this morning. Just reading thru the basic chapters right now, on passages and strategies etc. Here is a link , a thread on something funny I read on SDN. This will never be on the test. Just something to read and laugh your wits out......

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=280533

This might help to know, so just passing it to all. The soln (solution) list I got from Internet. The solubility list is from Kaplan. Not sure how to identify solns with +ve deviation v/s -ve deviations from Raoult's law other than just try to remember this list. Ideal soln are easy to identify but the other two - I am not sure.

Ideal Solns: Benzene/Toulene, n-hexane/n-heptane, chlorobenzene/iodobenzene, ethyl bromide/ethyl iodide, n-butyl bromide/n-butyl iodide (all similar molecules)
+ve Deviation from Raoult's law (endothermic) Cyclohexane/Ethanol, Acetone/Ethanol, Acetone/CS2, Acetone/Benzene, CCL4/Toulene, CCL4/CHCL3
-ve Deviation from Raoult's law (exothermic): Acetone/Aniline, Acetone/CHCL3, CH3OH/CH3COOH, H2O/NH3, H2O/HCL (inorganic acids), CHCL3/Benzene, Acetone/Water

--------------------------------------------------------------------(differentiate electrolytes v/s non-electrolytes)

All salts of Alkali metals are water soluble
All salts of (NH4+) are water soluble
All Chlorides, Bromides, Iodides are water soluble (except: Ag, Pb, Hg)
All salts of sulphate (SO4) are water soluble (except Ca, Sr, Ba, Pb)
All metal oxides are insoluble(except Alkali metals, CaO, SrO2, BaO)
All Hydroxides are insoluble(except Alkali metals, Ca, Sr, Ba)
All Carbonates, Phosphates, Sulphides, Sulfites are insoluble (except Alkali metals, NH4+)
All Sodium salts are completely soluble
All Nitrate salts are completely soluble

Francium - 87, I think that's a great idea. I like that. Every bit helps in verbal. If I come across some webite/passage - I will definitely pass it along. I started my verbal prep this morning. Just reading thru the basic chapters right now, on passages and strategies etc. Here is a link , a thread on something funny I read on SDN. This will never be on the test. Just something to read and laugh your wits out......

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=280533

lol very interesting :laugh: the way i see it, to have a partner in MD school is if he/she (not necessary though) wants to relief some of their stress, if you know what I mean