The Official July 13, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was originally registered or 5/23, but due to a serious lack of discipline and a busy work schedule, I had to reschedule my test date for 7/13.

What are your study plans? And, do you think that this July test date would put you at a significant disadvantage in this upcoming app cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished up my finals yesterday and I am JUST now about to crack open chapter one of BR Physics. I plan on following Sn2ed's 3-month plan (starting just a tad late, but no big deal) and I'm going to be working about one shift at the hospital every other week, they were cool about my schedule while preparing for the MCAT.

According to my pre-med advisor, this was the last test date she would recommend for the upcoming cycle as long as everything else application wise is polished and ready to go by the date of the test.

I'm taking it this day as well. I am not too worried about it being late in the cycle, I plan to have my application completed and verified by the time I take it, so once I get my score back I should be good to go.

taking it this date also. Plan on studying 2 chapters a day with practice passages. Finish Content review in about 1 month, then 2 full months of practice exams and review. Gonna need a lot of kleenexes cause there will be a lot of blood shed. Hardcore Study Sessions begins today for me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel a lot better, guys! Thanks.

I'm planning on using Examkrackers, Berkeley Review, the 1001 series, and all the AAMC tests. Starting today, with organic chemistry!

As someone who is taking the MCAT this friday, I'm super nervous and have been studying for quite a while now
Also looking through the greater than 30+ strategies, I saw that people who used the tprh science book in that thread all had science scores around 12-14 - which is ridiculous.

I recommend that on top of tbr, that tprh science and verbal workbook's are musts if you are aiming at score above a 35.

I was looking at tprh verbal books online for another thread, and thought that this would be appropriate to post here since you guys still have a few months to prepare

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0071ALPB0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

someone is selling theirs for 85, i bought mine for 120.... T_T and i bought the wrong book the first time too T_T

Hey all, I made an Excel table for workbook scores, weaknesses from the chapters, and a daily schedule (only filled in from the start of FL days for Sn2ed's schedule due to a late start for me).

I thought others may find it useful.

Happy Studyin'

Attachments

• MCAT Prep Logbook.xlsx
    15 KB · Views: 177
Hey all, I made an Excel table for workbook scores, weaknesses from the chapters, and a daily schedule (only filled in from the start of FL days for Sn2ed's schedule due to a late start for me).

Happy Studyin'

Thanks for that excel chart, that will definitely come in handy

Happy Studyin'

Love it! :)
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I'm also taking this exam, first time test taker. My final exams for the semester end on 5/17. Which leaves two solid months of studying with practice exams. Before then (basically between now and then), I plan to do content review for topics I haven't seen in a few years (i.e. physics/organic, which I took in my first year). I took a practice exam about a year and a half ago (one of those ones taken to lure you into a Kaplan course, and received a 21 (BS 9 / VR 7 / PS 5). Given I hadn't reviewed Physics at all or taken any chemistry at that point. That was two years ago (freshman year), and I'm obviously, lol, hoping for better now.

My learning materials are 1) AAMC Content checklist, 2) the Kaplan content review (not so great, but they get the job done, I think), and 3) EK 1001 Questions (B/Ph/C/Oc) + 101 Verbal Passages and probably 4) the AAMC tests starting in June.

Haven't really made a study schedule yet, but plan to very soon.
Also, hoping for the best for everyone on this thread!

Hey guys, was orginally signed up for 5/18, but school was too much. Starting real studying tomorrow, even though shadowing as well. I have the EK suite and some Kaplan tests. 11 weeks of review and practice questions/tests.
Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Oh wow, I hadn't officially signed up for the exam yet, was putting it off until I graduated with all that hassle, and there were ZERO dates left in my home state. Very fortunately I was able to find a spot in Ohio just about an hour away from home so no big deal. If you aren't registered yet, do so asap!

Oh wow, I hadn't officially signed up for the exam yet, was putting it off until I graduated with all that hassle, and there were ZERO dates left in my home state. Very fortunately I was able to find a spot in Ohio just about an hour away from home so no big deal. If you aren't registered yet, do so asap!

Same thing happened to my buddy and he has to drive almost 2.5 hours to Ohio for his.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! i pushed my date from 6/20 to 7/13!

how's everyone planning to study?

I'm doing a quick content review, and then doing all the practice questions that I possibly can to cement everything. This is my third time writing the MCAT and my time is limited because I'm working full-time. I'll be using Examkrackers, Berkley (got the whole set for $40 off Kijiji!), and some Kaplan stuff I was given.

Hey friends!

Just got my score back and it looks like I'm retaking my 30 (11/6/13). Hopefully this thread won't be too dead. :thumbup:

Hello all, I just took the exam on 5/11 and I voided (it was the plan anyways) because I didn't feel like I killed it and I want a 35+..my practice exams right before test day were 29, 29, 32, so I wasn't quite there. I have used all my AAMC exams so now I am probably going to buy the Kaplan FL's and/or TBR. any suggestions?

Hey everyone. I was originally registered or 5/23, but due to a serious lack of discipline and a busy work schedule, I had to reschedule my test date for 7/13.

What are your study plans? And, do you think that this July test date would put you at a significant disadvantage in this upcoming app cycle?

Thanks.

NOOO, you have abandoned us. :D
Anyway, good luck with your test date. Hopefully, it will give you a couple point boost as compared to taking it on 5/23. :love:

We need to wake this thread up! How's everyone's studying going?

I'm retaking after getting 12P/3V/11B in January. Been working on verbal passages and am seeing some improvement. I'm mainly going through the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook.

Last edited:
This is my first time taking the exam. I'm a little over halfway through with my content review. I'm trying to finish it by early June to spend a month reviewing my weak spots and taking practice tests. For verbal I'm using the EK 101 practice passages and Kaplan verbal section tests. They've been pretty helpful. How's everything going for you guys?

I'm retaking after getting 12P/3V/11B in January. Been working on verbal passages and am seeing some improvement. I'm mainly going through the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook.

that's some sick science scores...i'll make you a deal: i'll get you an 11+ in verbal, you give me a 12+ in each of the sciences, how does that sound?

I'm starting tonight. I've been putting it off for a month now, studying during the day just doesn't work for me.

If anyone is in the new york city area and is planning to drop their 7/13 test date (for any reason) in exchange for another, please pm me (i would cover for your fees)! I really want to take it on this date! Thanks :)

That is the most confusing score I've ever seen. Good luck on the VR this time.

I'm starting tonight. I've been putting it off for a month now, studying during the day just doesn't work for me.

Summer always sucks for studying.

I'm studying and taking the practice exams at the same time the normal test will be.

That is the most confusing score I've ever seen. Good luck on the VR this time.

Summer always sucks for studying.

I'm studying and taking the practice exams at the same time the normal test will be.

For real. I just wana be outside enjoying the Michigan weather when its actually not crappy

Starting today! I've just wrapped up last semester with a good GPA and I got my letters of recommendation in to my committee, so I'm pretty content.

I'm gonna start with the dreaded organic chemistry. Then biology. Then chemistry. Then physics. Then verbal. Then practice tests.

Oh, and I have start working on my personal statement and AMCAS. Then secondaries. Then interviews.

tumblr_inline_mmys3nrSlA1qz4rgp.gif

Starting today! I've just wrapped up last semester with a good GPA and I got my letters of recommendation in to my committee, so I'm pretty content.

I'm gonna start with the dreaded organic chemistry. Then biology. Then chemistry. Then physics. Then verbal. Then practice tests.

Oh, and I have start working on my personal statement and AMCAS. Then secondaries. Then interviews.

tumblr_inline_mmys3nrSlA1qz4rgp.gif

You can do verbal at the same time as other subjects

I am really struggling with trying to study for this test while working full-time. I feel like I'm really behind on review and I'm really thinking that I should have registered to take the test in September instead of July. I've just finished chemistry and biology, and now I'm working on finishing physics before finalky tackling ochem (I'll work on verbal at some point, but since it's my best section I don't have to devote as much time to it).

Retaking on 7/13

Scored a 9P/12V/9B last year after averaging 9-10 on AAMC BS/PS and 14 on VR. Add my below average GPA to that along with a very late app (September MCAT), and I received 2 interviews but ultimately 0 acceptances.

Still gonna do content review until June 30th because I know that's where I'm weak based on my EK 1001 practice. I'm a solid test taker but just need to her that content knowledge solid.

My dream score is 12p/13v/12b. Aiming for 11p/13v/11b. The minimum composite I'd be happy with is 33.

I'll be taking the MCAT for the first time on this day. I'm so anxious about it. Just finished reviewing the materials using TPR... but i still have to review the requirements of AMCC MCAT guidelines + doing lots of practice questions. Best of luck everyone :).

Took mine on 5/27. Bombed the Verbal (made a 6 :() Really don't know what happened soo here I am.

Good luck studying everybody!

That's really saddening. Were your VR scores on the practice AMCC tests better than your actual?

That's really saddening. Were your VR scores on the practice AMCC tests better than your actual?

AAMC scores ranged from 6-10 averaging around 8.3ish. I scored 10 in both PS and BS so I am still going to be reviewing those but I feel like I need to foucus more on verbal right now.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, How's studies? I just can't wait to be done with this!!!

Hey all!
I agree!! Can't wait to get it over with. I've done one diagnostic and one full length, but at the time only had half of the content review done. Should be done with review/practice early next week. Then focusing on full lengths. What's everyone's plan?

Hey all!
I agree!! Can't wait to get it over with. I've done one diagnostic and one full length, but at the time only had half of the content review done. Should be done with review/practice early next week. Then focusing on full lengths. What's everyone's plan?

That's my plan. I hope to start crunching passages starting Thursday. I have TBR, TPRH, and EK. I think I'll use TBR and TPRH workbook primarily for passages. I am still concerned about verbal though. I have a hard time staying focused while reading those darn boring passages. :scared:

That's my plan. I hope to start crunching passages starting Thursday. I have TBR, TPRH, and EK. I think I'll use TBR and TPRH workbook primarily for passages. I am still concerned about verbal though. I have a hard time staying focused while reading those darn boring passages. :scared:

I know. Some of those passages are ridiculous. I've been working on verbal little by little, slacked on it the past two weeks and hope to start practicing again by the end of this week. My concern is PS. :/
I have the same materials you do plus Kaplan stuff... I've been using EK mostly because I feel it focuses on what we need to know for the test without all the extra info. As for passages.. I'm mixing it all up just to see the different styles. I wish we had more time haha :scared:

I'm curious to know.. how are you guys practicing? What materials are you using for each section?

Good luck! :thumbup:

Have just signed up for this MCAT date after receiving my May 11th score today.. very disheartening
Oh well! back to the books...