*The Official January 2016 MCAT*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I don't see any thread made for January 2016 MCAT test date, so I thought to create one. I'll be graduating by the end of this year and will be giving my MCAT on January 2016. I had my test date set for September of this year, but something came up and I won't be able to dedicate myself to studying for the MCAT fully. So, let us make this thread rich with all the discussions about the MCAT. Let us support each other and make taking MCAT a pleasurable experience, so I think. Let's go.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
519 (98%) - 130/131/128/130

I'M OVER THE ****ING MOON

Took the FL practice test about 2 weeks out because I was convinced that I'd need to push the date back and got a 511. Completely dumped my previous strategy (PR self-guided) and switched to working exclusively off of the AAMC materials.

I don't know how it happened either. I've always been good at standardized tests but all the practice tests I took were kicking my ass. I'm half expecting to refresh the page and get a "sorry, we made a mistake" notice.

Also - really thought those bio/psych scores would be the other way around

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, I never write on SDN but I got a 519 and I am over the moon! 98% percentile!! Chem/Phys was my worst section, as I expected (128) whereas the other sections were pretty balanced (131 CARS, 130 Bio, 130 Psych). I actually thought I did pretty poorly on the psych part so the 130 was a pleasant surprise. I scored a 515 on the scored AAMC practice test and never above a 505 on the TPR tests (those things are actually the WORST).

The only advice I could give to future test takers is:
(1) remember that it's quality, not quantity when it comes to studying; I only had about a month to study but I felt like I was efficient in covering what I felt like was the most relevant test material
(2) make sure you take the appropriate classes beforehand. Biochem and genetics were CRUCIAL
(3) be confident in yourself and don't let this website psych you out! I can't tell you the number of times I was near a panic attack after reading "I've done 20 practice tests and studied for 6 months - what, you haven't?" Whatevs. I took a trip to NYC three weeks before the test and do not regret it one bit.

Good luck to everyone and PM me if you have specific questions! Not too specific though - I did sign an oath, after all :)

Reactions: 4 users
Retake after a 513 in August with a disastrous test center...

521!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

132/126/132/131 (wtf @ cars but oh well)

old was 130/128/129/126

superscore is 523

#BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCREAMING

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
521! 130/131/130/130

AAMC Scored FL: 514

I felt I did better on the practice test than the real thing but didn't turn out that way. In shock. Good job everyone!! We survived!

Wow that's great! What do you think led to the increase on test day? Were you just incredibly calm or did the test play to your strengths?

Thank you. I was super calm. I actually felt that I was so calm that my pace slowed down too much. I skipped a bunch of questions, and didn't even finish chem/phys (100% random guess on 6-8 calculations/questions). I was actually upset (right after the test) because I felt mislead in that the practice tests played to my strengths while the actual played to my weaknesses. I got 132 in psych, but I honestly didn't know the definitions to a bunch of them (a bunch). I guess the calmness helps more than I had expected. I would look at the question, choose an answer, and think "well, I don't know what the heck that is...moving on."

Basically, I think staying cool saved me. Also, I react that way (non-urgently) through my life. "Fire? I'll finish my sandwich, then leave the building."

Reactions: 1 user
I can finally post on this! This forum was such a great support team and it was fun stressing out and being anxious together. Good luck to everyone & hope everyone is pleased or even more determined to do amazing if they choose a retake. Redemption is possible! Always believe & never give up! This is our path!

I took NextStep FL's and got 505, 505, 504, 507
I took AAMC Scored FL and got 507 (the week before actual MCAT)

Actual MCAT I got:
C/P 126
CARS 126
B/BC 127
P/S 127
Total: 506 (71st percentile)

Previous Jan 2015 MCAT I got a 22 (32nd percentile).
I have a 3.93 GPA, a bunch of extra curriculars, & great LORs. This was my final step & I'm finally done!!! I'm so ridiculously happy! & so thankful to God!!!

Good luck to everyone & there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Reactions: 6 users
509 --> 80%

Second time around.
First time I scored a 24 (43%). Thank God times 1000

Felt like we were in a similar boat! my story:

I can finally post on this! This forum was such a great support team and it was fun stressing out and being anxious together. Good luck to everyone & hope everyone is pleased or even more determined to do amazing if they choose a retake. Redemption is possible! Always believe & never give up! This is our path!

I took NextStep FL's and got 505, 505, 504, 507
I took AAMC Scored FL and got 507 (the week before actual MCAT)

Actual MCAT I got:
C/P 126
CARS 126
B/BC 127
P/S 127
Total: 506 (71st percentile)

Previous Jan 2015 MCAT I got a 22 (32nd percentile).
I have a 3.93 GPA, a bunch of extra curriculars, & great LORs. This was my final step & I'm finally done!!! I'm so ridiculously happy! & so thankful to God!!!

Good luck to everyone & there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

514!

For those that think practice exams are prophets I got a 507 in the aamc scored practice exam 2 days before. How I went from 22 to 84 percentile in cars I have no f clue

So glad to be done with this!!

Congrats everyone

509; 128/126/127/128
Is this good? 80% percentile? Seeing all the 512+ gets me asking
Went from a 505 in August so I'm okay with this. A little bummed, but it'll definitely get me into my state school.
lol CARS was my highest score when I was practicing with TPR.

Hey guys, I got a 528! Feel like fainting.... Still don't believe it....

But if anyone has any questions on how to study or tips, please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
521! 132 127 (I'm a slow reader) 130 132

Super happy! I felt awful coming out of it, and now I can cancel my retake! First time taking, feeling really good right now. I honestly thought I did complete crap on Chemistry section but apparently I got lucky. 11 points higher than my target score. It's taken me 2 or 3 years of not studying to prepare for this stupid test.

Also, looking at a lot of other posters, it seems like reading got them, too. I'm just going to blame it on the test.

Last edited:
Man I still don't think it's possible.... I refreshed the screen like 10 times trying to understand what it was saying :p

496 in September and 508 in Jan. Thank God I am done with the MCAT!

Congrats!!!! I got a 498 in August and currently studying for a retake in April. Do you mind sharing what you did this time around that might have helped you improve so much? Congrats again :)

hell yeah i do!! Tell me everything you did to prepare lmao
Haha well I did take a TPR course and studied about 2-3 hours a day and like around 5-6 on the weekends. I know this doesn't sound like much but also the 3 classes I was taking (Biochem I, Sensory Neuro, Sociology) were all pertinent to the MCAT. So even while studying for those classes, I was studying for the MCAT.

Let me say off the bat that BIOCHEM IS VITAL. Memorize the textbook if you have to :D. Obviously, I didn't do that but you need to have a firm grasp of it without a doubt. Also, CARS i'd try to do around 2 passages a day although I'd forget/not do it here and there. The main thing I can emphasize is that despite what all these prep books say, critical thinking is your best friend. Literally 10-15% of my TPR class notes were relevant. There wasn't a single anatomy question or hormones or anything on my mcat. Start reading research papers, start learning how to critically read. I can't emphasize that enough. I didn't know that many psych terms, I didn't know that much anatomy and physiology, etc. I am very well versed in math so physics and chem were my strong suits and bio was meh. But critical thinking powered me through, I could think my way through it.

All I can say is practice, practice, practice, and good luck :)

First time MCAT. 509: 124/127/128/130. Low score was C/P. Should I be retaking because of this?

I got a 500. Idk how to feel. I'm numb and sad.
I'm black, 3.7 post bacc GPA 5+ years working in health first direct patient care. Some research. My friends keep telling me I'm fine. But I want some actually pre-meds advice not just from my friends that are obligated to tell me good things.

Hey guys, I got a 528! Feel like fainting.... Still don't believe it....

But if anyone has any questions on how to study or tips, please let me know!

Amazing job, congrats.

Please post your practice test scores when you can, would be helpful to know. :)

I'm black, 3.7 post bacc GPA 5+ years working in health first direct patient care. Some research. My friends keep telling me I'm fine. But I want some actually pre-meds advice not just from my friends that are obligated to tell me good things.
do you mind if I ask if this is your first MCAT?

You 509+'ers seriously need to hop on that thread and give some words of wisdom. Pay it forward.

Lol i am sure they will!

Forreal, I am so happy for all of you guys! I was really worried when everyone was reporting that it was insanely hard right after the exam, but looks like all your hard work payed off guys!!!

First time taker. Took no classes, just studied on my own.

520 || 131/129/130/130

Unscored Practice: 88%
Scored Practice: 519

Feel free to PM me with any questions, happy to help in whatever way I can. I'll also being selling off all my materials soon (after March).

I'm literally so excited right now. I found out in my research lab and freaked out. My grad student asked wtf was wrong with me.

1st Time MCAT- 2nd semester junior with about 5 weeks of thorough prep, 3 in winter break, 2.5 in university. Half-assed the prep for a couple of months the previous semester and read biochemistry over the summer. Used Kaplan 1st edition + all available AAMC resources on the website. Never took a psych class before, reviewed about half the psych stuff on Khan Academy.

521: 131 (Physical), 131 (CARS), 130 (Biological) 129 (Psych)

Practice Tests Taken in order of when they were taken

1st edition Kaplan FL (After a complete run-through of the practice books without review)- 504
Kaplan FL 2-508
AAMC FL Scored- 520 (Taken about 3 weeks before the exam)
Kaplan FL 3 (2 weeks before)- 513
Princeton Free Diagnostic (week before) - 513

Kaplan and Princeton overestimate the difficulty by a lot from what I and all my other high-scoring friends can tell. I wouldn't place stock in those practice scores.

I cannot possibly explain how I feel right now. HOLY S***!
I got 519 or 98th percentile. 132/100th (physical), 126/70th (CARS), 131/99th (biological), 130/97th (behavioral).

Yeah CARS was not the best, but still, I'm so friggin happy!!!

For reference: I got 95th percentile on the scored practice.

514 (91%)- 130,126,128,130

:biglove::soexcited: This is the third time that I've taken the mcat and I am so happy right now :banana::banana::banana: Seriously though, I couldn't believe I did that well. I got a 27 and a 26 the last two times I took the exam and coming out of it this time, I didn't feel too confident but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

These are my practice exam scores:
-TPR Practice Exam 1 Score: 500/123/126/125/126
-Kaplan Practice Exam 1 Score: 500/124/128/124/124
-Kaplan Practice Exam 2 Score: 502/125/125/125/127
-TPR Practice Exam 2 Score: 504/124/128/126/126
-TPR Practice Exam 3 Score: 506/127/125/127/127
-TPR Practice Exam 4 Score: 502/125/124/125/128
-Official Sample Test Score: C/P=75%; CARS=85%; Bio=69%; Psych=85%
-EK Practice Exam 1 Score: C/P= 59%; CARS=75%; Bio=62%; Psych=72%; Overall= 67%
-Kaplan Practice Exam 3 Score: 504/126/125/127/126
-EK Practice Exam 2 Score: C/P=57%; CARS=71%; Bio=69%; Psych=88%; Overall=72%
-EK Practice Exam 3 Score: C/P=64%; CARS=73%; Bio=67%; Psych=71%; Overall=69%
-EK Practice Exam 4 Score: C/P=73%; CARS=62%; Bio=59%; Psych=66%; Overall=65%
-Official Practice Test 1 Score: 512/128/127/128/129

I've got a bit of hw to catch up on right now but I'll post my study methods and my thoughts on the exam later if anyone's interested.

Great job to everyone who took on this beast of an exam! For those of you re-taking or taking it for the first time, I created DBZ memes after some of the practice exams to keep myself motivated so maybe they might help you as well:
I8LXCPDFCNv0-lPM7ubfxOBrRQ2QmhT-SPzoqkI2B-L4L5wknZP8oMfxRViDldFxF64JZ4O4jY2x3rG89e_2MzN_CN4=s0-d-e1-ft

VYqe6flpYWv3rzpCiX9suvaNKa_iCna_Dsbr9YiL_HUHlIeJ-iyI02jwwQ8Xx0D2J63qblpyyQ0ftodpgyAY6EAzZqU=s0-d-e1-ft

DnXN_brAixWPzlE7i3Y2m6s57rAZrmWkgvQjpxKUvdD2mpgtK5l0kh3o8Cl0FaF_VKHbGlVmgae1TjQNsD_m0Ca0yj4=s0-d-e1-ft

bXb0QZ8tL08aT8kdDRURX5Z8vZppRV-vkol3TFPkySjXlzVu73quIGKl8xz216uTFEjuJbmv3UtRRmM97P1_FCfMA3o=s0-d-e1-ft

-KIbjsHCifJInc63R2hkwqNZzt-lbDM2yK-o4kyTPC1pNVVldraSdSSWql4ZFqDcHu2AWDWuRZiFmAu7AEZFWy-Z008=s0-d-e1-ft

Y4DKvT98KEIdcFRKTIyc8aBP5ubRh1GLziIsHn94P6gKokdE9DytGQWpgsdUGLEZyLvq3cKmD1Xp1unYggQ5VFkt0lw=s0-d-e1-ft

I'm satisfied!

512 with a very bizarre split: 125/127/131/129

I'm not sure if my weird split is going to hold me back, but I figure I should be okay in the end. If anyone has any words of wisdom on my uh......score dispersion, feel free to offer them! This was my first attempt, and the only thing different from my scored practice was that B/B was a 129 instead of a 127. Just figure it's not worth my time to mess with a retake, and the possibility of doing worse/very strong possibility of doing similarly.

I GOT A 515. THAT IS THE EXACT SAME AS MY PRACTICE EXAM SCORE.

I AM VERY SAD BECAUSE I COULD HAVE DONE A LOT BETTER IN BIOLOGY. THE BIOLOGY SECTION BROUGHT MY SCORE REALLY DOWN. I DID NOT KNOW THE AMINO ACIDS, I AM NOT SURE WHY I DID NOT MEMORIZE THEM. I IS MY FAULT AND I AM TOO OLD TO BE DOING SUCH BAD THINGS OH GOD I FEEL SO IRRESPONSIBLE I AM NOT READY TO BECOME A DOCTOR.

AND CARS MESSED ME UP I AM NOT SURE WHY, I THINK BECAUSE I DID NOT PRACTICE CARS A FEW WEEKS BEFORE THE EXAM. I USUALLY GET NEAR PERFECT CARS I GOT A 128 HERE I AM NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED. I AM THINKING OF RETAKING.

I AM APPLYING FOR DO AND MD SCHOOLS I REALLY WANT MD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

I GOT A 515. THAT IS THE EXACT SAME AS MY PRACTICE EXAM SCORE.

I AM VERY SAD BECAUSE I COULD HAVE DONE A LOT BETTER IN BIOLOGY. THE BIOLOGY SECTION BROUGHT MY SCORE REALLY DOWN. I DID NOT KNOW THE AMINO ACIDS, I AM NOT SURE WHY I DID NOT MEMORIZE THEM. I IS MY FAULT AND I AM TOO OLD TO BE DOING SUCH BAD THINGS OH GOD I FEEL SO IRRESPONSIBLE I AM NOT READY TO BECOME A DOCTOR.

AND CARS MESSED ME UP I AM NOT SURE WHY, I THINK BECAUSE I DID NOT PRACTICE CARS A FEW WEEKS BEFORE THE EXAM. I USUALLY GET NEAR PERFECT CARS I GOT A 128 HERE I AM NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED. I AM THINKING OF RETAKING.

I AM APPLYING FOR DO AND MD SCHOOLS I REALLY WANT MD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME.
515 is a great score!?
i dont think you have anything to be worried about! that score will get u into any MD school! if you're unhappy you can retake but i see absolutely no reason to

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who did well on the MCAT. I'm looking at a retake and have a good idea of which areas I need to target. I'm drawing out the outline of my study schedule again today. I was aiming for SMP/Post-bach programs this year, however I scored well below expectations and I don't feel like I'd be going into school with the tools needed to succeed with my classmates being able to pull 30+'s on their exams. If there's anyone in the same boat then message me sometime by this week, definitely need someone to talk to in order to make sure that I'm on track and will hold me semi-accountable so we can share Skype/email or other testing information to pool our efforts together.

i didn't do as well as i though i did, i got 505 (first time)
i have no idea what happened i thought i got like 100% on the psych section, but i ended up getting 126 there.
i honestly tried my hardest but I dont think im going to pursue medical school anymore, my backup plan is P.A school.
Congrats to everyone that did AMAZING, looking forward to you guys being my doctor when im older or working for u guys as PA lol and for ppl who didn't do as good as they thought, keep trying but if not theres infinite opportunities out there, being a doctor isnt the only way to help ppl just keep that in mind :)

i didn't do as well as i though i did, i got 505 (first time)
i have no idea what happened i thought i got like 100% on the psych section, but i ended up getting 126 there.
i honestly tried my hardest but I dont think im going to pursue medical school anymore, my backup plan is P.A school.
Congrats to everyone that did AMAZING, looking forward to you guys being my doctor when im older or working for u guys as PA lol and for ppl who didn't do as good as they thought, keep trying but if not theres infinite opportunities out there, being a doctor isnt the only way to help ppl just keep that in mind :)
I got a 505 the first time I took the exam in the summer, felt bummed, retook it, and got a 509, which I'm pretty satisfied with. Why don't you try taking it again?

i think you should retake it in Sept. but that would mean u would have to take a gap year if u were planning to apply this cycle. I think you have so much potential to get into a great school and i think if u tried one more time on the MCAT u will be ok

I got a 505 the first time I took the exam in the summer, felt bummed, retook it, and got a 509, which I'm pretty satisfied with. Why don't you try taking it again?
i dont think i can do better, i tried my hardest. i took many practice tests and my scores stayed around 505 . i cant seem to pass the 126 on CARS section. congrats on getting 509!

For those of you who used Kaplan resources when you were studying, was your actual test score in the range of scores as you were getting on your Kaplan MCAT full length scores?

Did anyone else tank the first section on biochemistry and thought they did great on psych and the last three sections but then see they were given a normal to low score that was similar on the last three ?

YTT953 says this is what happened and my test seriously looks like someone just said oh they tanked the first section just don't bother grading the rest and or give them a mediocre similar average on the last three? No I don't need to hear obvious responses of oh you are just an idiot. Seeing as how subjective these new tests appear by virtue of them being new I can't help but wonder. I know I was on fire on that last section especially and there is no way it was that low of a score. I don't trust an organization that says this is a standardized test when some claim they got nothing but o Chem and some say they got nothing but physics on other dates or one that says this test is made to encourage criticial thinking when 70 pct of my test was "choose the best answer ".

Hi all!

So I just got my score back, and I was seeking some advice on whether or not I should retake!

My score is as follows:
C/P: 132 (100th Percentile)
CARS: 124 (44th Percentile)
B/B: 132 (100th Percentile)
P/S: 128 (86th Percentile)
Total: 516 (95th Percentile)

I know most people would find it absurd to retake after a 516, but I am worried that my low CARS score might be a red flag. Any advice? Thanks, and congrats to all!

For those of you who used Kaplan resources when you were studying, was your actual test score in the range of scores as you were getting on your Kaplan MCAT full length scores?

No, they weren't. They were were quite a ways off from the score I got (>10). This was the case with other people that I talked to with people scoring 516+ on the real one even after getting 508s and such on the Kaplan by the end of the study period. Btw do you go to Duke?