The Official January 15, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hometownbrewin

B.S. in BSing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call! Didn't see a thread for this date. I stayed up until 5 AM the morning signups opened to secure a spot for the 15th because it's the last afternoon administration of the old MCAT and I'm definitely not a morning person. The test is basically all or nothing for me, as I certainly want to avoid the new version, but I'm botching the opportunity (just finished undergrad and I'm currently taking off work and research). It has been a struggle so far in terms of keeping up with SN2ed's 4 month schedule and establishing good study habits and a routine that works for me, however things are slowly starting to pick up.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

How come the MCAT is a CBT and we dont get the scores instantly. THEY NEED TO CHANGE THIS!!! ITS RIDICULOUS! Especially since there isnt a writing portion. YOU HEAR THAT AAMC! My theory is they want people to wait a long time so they can freak out and sign up for future tests before they get their scores back. The money hungry bastards.

Reactions: 3 users
The curve is pre-set before that year's exams are released, so again. why cant the score just pop up like it does with the practice exams

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They took away the essay section, so there's really no reason that I can see why they wouldn't just out with our scores already!!!!

If I could like this fifty times I would. Thank you so much. I've been trying in vain to find the exact time of day!

Hey lurker/stalker from 1/23 here. Rooting for you guys! I just wanted to let you know that the 1/8 and 1/10 dates were actually released at 3:16pm EST. Apparently 3ish is more or less their usual time these days. Hope so...

I was gonna post a screenshot of the Twitter announcement but I didn't want to start a panic.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey lurker/stalker from 1/23 here. Rooting for you guys! I just wanted to let you know that the 1/8 and 1/10 dates were actually released at 3:16pm EST. Apparently 3ish is more or less their usual time these days. Hope so...

I was gonna post a screenshot of the Twitter announcement but I didn't want to start a panic.

Glad to help. Also, thanks for the heads up pageantry! Plan to be at the gym at the time - guess I got to cut my workout short lol

I can't even believe how anxious I'm getting with Wednesday being just around the corner. I don't even know if I should have hope anymore, I didn't finish 2 passages in each of the sections. I had an AAMC average of 27.9 and a AAMC 10-11 average of 30. But I'm predicting a 24 at this point. Am I being realistic? I've been reading the posts over on the Jan 8th & 10th boards, and it seems many of them are scoring lower than their averages :help:

Many people also score over their averages!

If you missed 6 passages though it may be tough. All you can do is hope for the best

The worst part is that I felt this exam was probably easier (straightforward) than MOST of the practice ones. I didn't realize timing would be such a killer on the actual thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst part is that I felt this exam was probably easier (straightforward) than MOST of the practice ones. I didn't realize timing would be such a killer on the actual thing.

It didn't help that the verbal passages were significantly longer than all of the AAMC practice exams.

With that said, in the hopes of not cursing myself, I will give my pre-score prediction once the scores come back.

I hope I'm wrong.

I think your MCAT score can really be hard to predict. I know plenty of people who feel horrible and feel good about the test, and it turns out they did really well. Both feelings also apply to not doing as well as they wanted to. I think it's true that anything is possible.

Reactions: 1 users
The verbal passages were significantly longer than the practice aamcs, and the physical sciences section also put me in a time crunch..but anyone else think the bio was pretty easy and non-experimental?

I have my fingers crossed that physical sciences and verbal have a good predetermined "curve." They were so time consuming..at least for me

:penguin:I dont even care anymore. I am tired of caring. At this point it is what it is. Either I did well or crappy, no point in worrying about it now. Except I already paid for a few SMPs and I will just lose that money but whatever.

This wait is killing me... Was able to put it out of my mind but it's so close! I know this test is not supposed to determine your life but this path has been so consuming, I don't know what else I would do if not medicine!

I think part of my tremendous anxiety at the moment is that I'm planning on spending a year abroad this next cycle, which is contingent on my MCAT. As a naturally anxious person, I have often fantasized about checking my score on Wednesday and seeing that I scored a 20 or something equally horrific (or worse).

Have many people scored 10.5 points below their AAMC average? I'm assuming not many, but it would be good know if this is an almost unheard of situation. FWIW, I felt pretty calm during the exam and didn't feel particularly bad after it beyond the typical post-test jitters that most feel.

I think your MCAT score can really be hard to predict. I know plenty of people who feel horrible and feel good about the test, and it turns out they did really well. Both feelings also apply to not doing as well as they wanted to. I think it's true that anything is possible.

I really hope that's the case in my situation. I really hope it's at least at my average. But only time will tell I guess.

The verbal passages were significantly longer than the practice aamcs, and the physical sciences section also put me in a time crunch..but anyone else think the bio was pretty easy and non-experimental?

I agree, the verbs passages were so long. And why would they leave a 6 question passage for the last one. I wish I had done them out of order so I wouldn't have missed one with so many questions. I thought the bio was straightforward, with little experiment interpretation, BUT I was 50/50 on most of the questions. It came down to some small details I never expected I'd be tested on.

I don't know about you guys but my plan is to drown myself in some sushi while crying whichever way it goes.

Reactions: 2 users
I think part of my tremendous anxiety at the moment is that I'm planning on spending a year abroad this next cycle, which is contingent on my MCAT. As a naturally anxious person, I have often fantasized about checking my score on Wednesday and seeing that I scored a 20 or something equally horrific (or worse).

Have many people scored 10.5 points below their AAMC average? I'm assuming not many, but it would be good know if this is an almost unheard of situation. FWIW, I felt pretty calm during the exam and didn't feel particularly bad after it beyond the typical post-test jitters that most feel.

There was one guy who scored 7 points below his average, but his average was a 41 and he scored a 34

Does anyone else check their AAMC MCAT page, even though you know results don't come till tomorrow?

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like I should call out of work if my scores are bad, only problem is that i work around 3pm so, I could end up totally ruining my day tomorrow. I should def call out right, no matter if its good or bad?

I feel like I should call out of work if my scores are bad, only problem is that i work around 3pm so, I could end up totally ruining my day tomorrow. I should def call out right, no matter if its good or bad?

Yeah in my experience people either are ecstatic and want to start drinking or are crushed and want to start drinking.

You could go to work and check your scores after getting home...if you have that sort of inhuman willpower

Anyone else feel nervous but also preparing for the worst by figuring out when to take the new MCAT to have a shot at applying this year? The month long wait actually went by pretty fast for me as I've been keeping busy and now it's that soon to be long night before the verdict xD

I'm working in the evening as well. I'll probably check around 9oclock when I get home. No way in hell I'm checking my score at work.

Well guys, this is it, tomorrow is the day!! I will be in and out of classes from 10 am to 8:30 pm. But from 2-3 pm I have a break. I usually get a snack and review notes but tomorrow will be just :::refresh:::refresh:::refresh:::... AHHHHHHHHH!

There was one guy who scored 7 points below his average, but his average was a 41 and he scored a 34

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping for a 26+ and I'm hoping my doubts are just my rampant insecurity and un-diagnosed anxiety disorder, but I can't help but be very, very anxious about tomorrow.

I really hope that's the case in my situation. I really hope it's at least at my average. But only time will tell I guess.
Get some good rest tonight and eat a great dinner :). The MCAT material is definitely hard, but sometimes waiting for the score can be equally as difficult.

I know that scores don't come out until tomorrow, but can't stop checking anyway:arghh:.

There should be an actual chat group where people can go and rant like a support group. I, too, have been checking the score site even though I know it's not posted and I have other things to do like clean up the giant mess I made in my room in the process to clean my room.

Hard to believe tomorrow is the day!

So far, i've done these things since the Jan 15th MCAT.

Watched seasons 3+4 of The walking dead. (Re-watched).
Beat Far cry 4.
Leveled two WoW characters from 90-100. (Geared one character to 647 iLvl).
Found out I made Summa Cum Laude at my university!! (After graduating)

Still feeling pretty nervous though. :):(:cool: