The Official "I Got Into My Top Choice So I'm Dropping My Acceptance at ____ Thread"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that scholarships are far more plentiful for med students than they are for dental students.
Definitely

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Really hope people give up seats at Stony Brook and rutgers

Reactions: 1 users
I have three acceptances, so I'll be making two people very happy.

I wish I could know who they were. It's kind of like stuffing a bottle full of hundred dollar bills, capping it, and chucking it down a river.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okey, so I think I'm coming to my final decisions...

I'm going to be giving up seats at: UoP, Pitt, UCLA, Columbia (this one hurts the most ugh) and possibly (I'm so indecisive) Penn and Maryland.

I may just be finding myself at UCSF! Eeek!

RT

Edit: For those of you that don't speak twitter in real life like I do, I am agreeing with her haha. I'm in pretty much the same situation and I'm thinking I will be turning down Columbia but it hurts a lot. In the end, though, gotta be responsible and follow the $$$

Does anybody feel bad having to give up acceptances? I feel like I'm breaking up with someone. I know they spend countless hours deciding who they want and then we end up just rejecting them. Haha who knew their would be such guilt associated with receiving multiple acceptances.

Absolutely, yes. It breaks my heart. I loved all the schools I interviewed with. I feel like I should do it over the phone...they all called me in person to invite me into their class of 2020. They deserve better than a timid email.

At the same time, I feel like a douche feeling bad about having three acceptances when so many others at this point are happy just to be on a wait list.

I have three acceptances, so I'll be making two people very happy.

I wish I could know who they were. It's kind of like stuffing a bottle full of hundred dollar bills, capping it, and chucking it down a river.

Haha that is a great way of putting it.

Really hope people give up seats at Stony Brook and rutgers
I will be declining Rutgers (tough decision because Dr. Gerald Guzy was awesome) to attend Iowa.

If one were to decline seats should they send the email in the near future or just wait until the January deadline?

If one were to decline seats should they send the email in the near future or just wait until the January deadline?

If you know for sure you are dropping a school do it ASAP. Better for the schools, better for the applicants who arn't in their top choice and might have to put down a deposit to secure a seat, better for those with post-dec interviews. Some schools will wait til Jan to do the next 'wave' but some schools will send out some more acceptances next week, it all just depends on how they do stuff.

If you're not sure, there is no problem with waiting as long as you need/can, but if you know then go ahead and email

Wow. All of you guys were able to decide in less than 24 hours! I'm still thinking!

Reactions: 4 users
At this point I think I'm going to drop my acceptance at Case and am in the process of deciding between Iowa and Indiana.. Waiting to see what type of scholarships if any come through first though

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from Buffalo, NYU, and BU today.

Wow. All of you guys were able to decide in less than 24 hours! I'm still thinking!
I went in fairly certain which school I would attend if accepted, but I'm still giving 1-1.5 weeks to wait for potential scholarship letters to come in (if they do come in).

I think it's really between UCSF and Penn right now. They are pretty similar! But UCSF has P/F which is quite attractive right now
Jeez if I got into a P/F school I would take that in a heart beat. Loved SF when I interviewed at pacific. If you want to stay in cali then UCSF. If you want to go east, penn might put you in a better position via networking and what not.

Dropped NYU and USC! Planning on dropping Penn and Pittsburgh (both with scholarship) so hopefully the money will go to someone who really wants to go to either school :)

Reactions: 5 users
RT

Edit: For those of you that don't speak twitter in real life like I do, I am agreeing with her haha. I'm in pretty much the same situation and I'm thinking I will be turning down Columbia but it hurts a lot. In the end, though, gotta be responsible and follow the $$$

Very surprised to hear this from you RD. Thought you were going to be in Gryffindor for sure

Coming from someone who hasn't been accepted yet, but waitlisted at multiple schools, it is not rude to inform the schools that you don't want to attend as soon as you know. It just opens up spots and opportunities for others who haven't gotten that exciting phone call or email yet. That being said, congrats to all who have been accepted somewhere! You all worked very hard and definitely deserve this for your future!! :)

Last edited:
Probably my last SDN post for 2-3 years, if not ever!

Almost definitely declining my offers from NYU, USC and Tufts. Columbia, Penn, and UoP still up for consideration, but I might find myself at UCSF.

Best of luck to all!

Very surprised to hear this from you RD. Thought you were going to be in Gryffindor for sure

Yeah but just thinking of all of the stuff I could do with the amount of money I could save... I'm a big fan of the 'follow your heart, the money isn't important' ideal, but with the amount of money the instate school would cost after the scholarships I could borrow from my grandparents instead of loans and avoid interest. I already have two different relatives that are willing to pull me on as an associate depending on where I want to go and if their starting salarys end up being what they say they will be I could have it all paid back in less than four years while living very comfortably. Hufflepuff doesn't seem quite so bad when I could buy an Audi with cash before I am 30 haha

Ahh how do you guys do it?! I just cancelled my interview at NYU and that was difficult enough...let alone trying to decline acceptances :unsure:

Ahh how do you guys do it?! I just cancelled my interview at NYU and that was difficult enough...let alone trying to decline acceptances :unsure:

Just imagine someone's face lighting up when they get your old acceptance if it is their top choice or first one :-D.

I tried to be super cordial to the schools that I turned down. I added a little something about thanking the admissions committee (I assumed it was just the admissions liaison who was going to be moving our name from one list to the other) and then I sent another letter to the person that interviewed me, thanking them again and telling them where I ended up going but how much I loved the school. Maybe a little overkill but (as I am sure you guys have noticed) I have a habit of going a little overboard with stuff once I get into it haha.

Last edited:
Just imagine someone's face lighting up when they get your old acceptance if it is their top choice or first one :-D.

I tried to be super cordial to the schools that I turned down. I added a little something about thanking the admissions committee (I assumed it was just the admissions liaison who was going to be moving our name from one list to the other) and then I sent another letter to the person that interviewed me, thanking them again and telling them where I ended up going but how much I loved the school. Maybe a little overkill but (as I am sure you guys have noticed) I have a habit of going a little overboard with stuff once I get into it haha.
Where?!? Bum bum bum!!!

Withdrew from Pitt, goodluck guys!

Going to Midwestern Az
Giving up UNLV and NOVA.
Good luck!
GGG

Going to UNLV, declining MWU Az and Detroit Mercy

Last edited:
Will most likely drop Creighton depending if I get any scholarships or not. Need to decide between Pitt and Minnesota....so difficult.

Kind of hoping someone with scholarship money turns down Pitt or Minn so I can possibly pick it up! Any chance this happens before Christmas?

Last edited:
UCSF is my top school.. Eagarly waiting for a possible January call of acceptance...I'm having mixed feelings to see no one is dropping UCSF from their list...

But still congrats to all :)

I thought scholarships were only handed out when they gave you your acceptance. Is there real financial aid that schools give after you do the FAFSA or is it just all loans?

I plan on attending Loma Linda.

Giving up my seats at Columbia, Utah and UoP.

This is madness. You would choose Loma Linda over UOP? I'll take the question a step further, you would choose to give up a year of your life for Loma Linda?

This is madness. You would choose Loma Linda over UOP? I'll take the question a step further, you would choose to give up a year of your life for Loma Linda?

Well there are a couple reasons. Outside of the school aspect being the fact that both my wife and I grew up within 30 minutes of the school. (If/when we have kids in school having both our families that close is a big deciding factor and not living in San Fransisco tiny apartment)

School wise, I like the idea of specializing. Will I? Who knows, but I'd like to be exposed and have residencies on hand at the school (a big reason not Utah being my choice). I think there is benefit to being in Southern California which is where I'd like to specialize (a lesser reason for choosing it).

And probably the biggest reason for not choosing UoP is the three years. Right now, first years go to school 8-5 every day and study after for hours. If you have a wife/kids that is hard to balance. If you are studying for the CBSE or for the ADAT to specialize, good luck. So yeah I give up a year not going there but I also feel like I would LOSE a year from going twice as fast in school. I don't like cramming the first two years into one, not for me.

Plus, I just liked Loma Linda, I know many people who went there and love it. It has a great reputation outside of SDN (who ignore it in large because religious aspects not a problem for me). I love that on Fridays I am out of school at noon and not 5pm.

Most of all, I'd be happiest there (and my wife) and that's what matters. You can't argue crazy.

Reactions: 18 users
Well there are a couple reasons. Outside of the school aspect being the fact that both my wife and I grew up within 30 minutes of the school. (If/when we have kids in school having both our families that close is a big deciding factor and not living in San Fransisco tiny apartment)

School wise, I like the idea of specializing. Will I? Who knows, but I'd like to be exposed and have residencies on hand at the school (a big reason not Utah being my choice). I think there is benefit to being in Southern California which is where I'd like to specialize (a lesser reason for choosing it).

And probably the biggest reason for not choosing UoP is the three years. Right now, first years go to school 8-5 every day and study after for hours. If you have a wife/kids that is hard to balance. If you are studying for the CBSE or for the ADAT to specialize, good luck. So yeah I give up a year not going there but I also feel like I would LOSE a year from going twice as fast in school. I don't like cramming the first two years into one, not for me.

Plus, I just liked Loma Linda, I know many people who went there and love it. It has a great reputation outside of SDN (who ignore it in large because religious aspects not a problem for me). I love that on Fridays I am out of school at noon and not 5pm.

Most of all, I'd be happiest there (and my wife) and that's what matters. You can't argue crazy.
Well said brother! I'm starting to have some second thoughts about UoP myself even though it's a fantastic school. Still need to think some more.

I'll most likely be dropping UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Penn (w/ scholarship), and Columbia, as well as declining an upcoming interview at UCSF. Hope that helps out some of the very deserving folks here on SDN! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'll most likely be dropping UIC, Iowa, Michigan, Penn (w/ scholarship), and Columbia, as well as declining an upcoming interview at UCSF. Hope that helps out some of the very deserving folks here on SDN! :)
Oh wow! Dropping some fantastic schools! Where you going?

I will be declining CaseWU, UCFS, and UDM
Trying to decide between Michigan and Penn... Any thoughts?

What's your residency? I'm surprised you're declining UCSF. Pass/fail curriculum, amazing research/specialization, clinical reputation, cali, tuition not that high.

if you turn down SF i'm guessing you're oos. are you a Michigan resident? then Umich no question. Penn is never cheaper than SF unless you have a scholarship so i don't see why it's in the equation here lol

Will be attending Michigan. I will be withdrawing my application from UNE, UDM, Midwestern-IL and Marquette.