**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! My first time posting on this forum. I would greatly appreciate help!

I am a fourth year student at a the University of Toronto in Canada.

I currently have a GPA breakdown as follows:
First year - 1st semester: 3.0; 2nd semster: 3.0 GPA
Second year - 1st semester 3.85 GPA; 2nd semester: 3.79 GPA
Third year - 1st semester 3.10; 2nd semester: 2.4 (my father died suddenly)
Fourth year - 1st semester: looks about the same as last semester did (I ended up getting a D in second year OChem because I got depressed and stuff, but the rest of my marks were B- B+); 2nd semester - I plan on getting a 3.7 - 3.8
My MCAT is 27R.

First Year I was adjusting to university and didn't really know what I was doing, hence the low marks.

Second year, I decided that I will get into medical school and wanted to make up for first year so I studied 8-12 hrs/day and would volunteer in a hospital and do dance.

I know I could have gotten higher in 3rd year first semester but I got depressed, started chasing girls, stopped focusing so much on school. My marks went to **** in second semester of third year because my dad got diagnosed with brain cancer, and bam a month later he was dead.

In fourth year I lost all hope of getting in -- hence my first semester marks, but I realized it is something I really want and would like a new chance at it. Is there a way for me to get into an SMP program were I am in the same class as medical students? What programs would take me? Do SMP programs provide a benefit for Canadian schools? Also, do you think I have what it takes to succeed in the SMP program and then get in? What medical schools can one apply to after an SMP? Finally, what did you do to succeed?

I have 1 publication (3rd author) and am working on a fourth year thesis that may get published. I have started a kickboxing club at my university, volunteered in the hospital for 256 hours.

I would greatly appreciate your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how the Georgetown SMP comes up with their getting into med school success rate of 80% 2 years and out? If you check their alumni page, they only account for 110 students (and the med schools they went to) out of 182 for the past several years.

Looks like that page is updated by hand when they get around to it. You won't get a data-rich answer to the question, but you can contact the office to ask for details. 182 per year is a lot to keep track of.

My med school gets a half dozen Gtown grads every year, and I have yet to hear anything negative about the program after 3 years of paying attention. Gtown's SMP hasn't changed much in curriculum or program size, which I view as a good thing when you're picking a program.

Meanwhile with Gtown, and with most SMPs now, it's smarter to wait to apply until you finish the program. You can be in a hurry to start med school, or you can have more choices of where you'll go.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like that page is updated by hand when they get around to it. You won't get a data-rich answer to the question, but you can contact the office to ask for details. 182 per year is a lot to keep track of.

My med school gets a half dozen Gtown grads every year, and I have yet to hear anything negative about the program after 3 years of paying attention. Gtown's SMP hasn't changed much in curriculum or program size, which I view as a good thing when you're picking a program.

Meanwhile with Gtown, and with most SMPs now, it's smarter to wait to apply until you finish the program. You can be in a hurry to start med school, or you can have more choices of where you'll go.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I have been accepted at Georgetown, Cincinnati and BU MAMS. Doing my homework regarding where to go. I like the way Cincinnati puts such clear stats on their website and shows exactly where their alumni (by name) go to med school. Does your med school get Cincinnati grads on a regular basis. Do you have any comments on their program?

I am planning on applying to med schools this year, but as a back up I'm also looking to apply to the GT SMP and USF MSMS programs. One serious problem, I haven't taken the MCAT yet! And I'm seriously unprepared. I've been taking heavy course loads these past 2 semesters (20 credits in fall and currently 18 credits this semester). And I just haven't had time to work on my application, which is no real excuse. Anyway, my question is should I study for GRE and take it to apply to the SMP and MSMS programs. Or basically take the MCAT without studying. I am already registered to take the MCAT in June. (I plan to do some serious studying for the the second this semester is over.) But that means I would have missed the deadlines for the SMP and MSMS programs. So I would have to take the MCAT in April. I'm wondering if it's worth the risk (and money). GT said specifically on their website, if I use the GRE, I won't be considered as competitive and it's more difficult to compare me to other students.

Stats: 3.3 cGPA (i haven't calculated my sGPA), but I have done over 1000 hours of various volunteer work in the past 5 years, including 250 hours of volunteering at a local free health clinic. I work as an ER scribe for 2 years, of which 1 year I was manager for the Scribe company. I was president of the PreMed Society in my school (started as secretary and worked my way up over 2 years). And I have an awesome relationship with some of the docs I work with, who I hope to provide fantastic LOR's

If any one can provide any insight (or glimpses of hope) I would be so grateful!

Stats: 3.3 cGPA (i haven't calculated my sGPA), but I have done over 1000 hours of various volunteer work in the past 5 years, including 250 hours of volunteering at a local free health clinic. I work as an ER scribe for 2 years, of which 1 year I was manager for the Scribe company. I was president of the PreMed Society in my school (started as secretary and worked my way up over 2 years). And I have an awesome relationship with some of the docs I work with, who I hope to provide fantastic LOR's
You aren't getting into med school with a 3.3 cGPA without some additional coursework (or if you are a URM).

So, its kind of a moot point really IMO. You should push back the MCAT because u never want to take it until you are prepared. And you should start looking into some academic stuff to do in the fall to boost your grades

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I have been accepted at Georgetown, Cincinnati and BU MAMS. Doing my homework regarding where to go. I like the way Cincinnati puts such clear stats on their website and shows exactly where their alumni (by name) go to med school. Does your med school get Cincinnati grads on a regular basis. Do you have any comments on their program?
We don't get a lot of folks from Cincinnati (small program), but the few I've met had good things to say. I have a lot of respect for Cincinnati, particularly since the med school structure changed and the SMP was kept in mind and integrated. I'd rank Cincinnati #1 on your list.

We don't get a lot of folks from Cincinnati (small program), but the few I've met had good things to say. I have a lot of respect for Cincinnati, particularly since the med school structure changed and the SMP was kept in mind and integrated. I'd rank Cincinnati #1 on your list.
Thanks again for your help :) Great information.

You aren't getting into med school with a 3.3 cGPA without some additional coursework (or if you are a URM).

So, its kind of a moot point really IMO. You should push back the MCAT because u never want to take it until you are prepared. And you should start looking into some academic stuff to do in the fall to boost your grades

I appreciate your bluntness. I realize that my GPA isn't competitive, I went through a lot of personal problems that really brought down my GPA in a semester. I hope to study very hard for my MCAT and June, with goals to break 30 of course. Same old song as everyone else really. So this why I want to apply to these SMP and MSMS programs. I'm 100% dedicated to becoming a doctor. I was just looking for some advice on how to go about it. But I think you're right. I'll probably just go for the GRE, which will be easier to study for during the semester, and hope that I can get into one of the programs.

I appreciate your bluntness. I realize that my GPA isn't competitive, I went through a lot of personal problems that really brought down my GPA in a semester. I hope to study very hard for my MCAT and June, with goals to break 30 of course. Same old song as everyone else really. So this why I want to apply to these SMP and MSMS programs. I'm 100% dedicated to becoming a doctor. I was just looking for some advice on how to go about it. But I think you're right. I'll probably just go for the GRE, which will be easier to study for during the semester, and hope that I can get into one of the programs.
Sounds like a much better plan. Getting into med school is a long hard road and takes a good plan and patience.

Do the GRE, go to an SMP, rock it. Take the MCAT, rock that. And you will be golden.

Hey I go to Emory, I am a second semester senior
I have around a 3.34 cGPA/3.2sGPA and a 29 MCAT
I have some clinical and volunteer experience, but not much, but I have done research for about 2 years, I am also involved in charity work. I believe I can get good LOR's, I was wondering if the SMP route was right for me and how does the process work. Thanks.

Hey I go to Emory, I am a second semester senior
I have around a 3.34 cGPA/3.2sGPA and a 29 MCAT
I have some clinical and volunteer experience, but not much, but I have done research for about 2 years, I am also involved in charity work. I believe I can get good LOR's, I was wondering if the SMP route was right for me and how does the process work. Thanks.

Hi all. Having a problem deciding what to do and hoped I could get everyone's 2 cents. I'm currently a poor candidate for Medical school with a cgpa of 3.4 and a sci GPA of 3.0. I have a 29 mcat, ton of shadowing and volunteer hours, 2 different search projects and one publication. I'm white so no urm here. I am a ny resident and applied to 7 DOs with hopes of getting in. I'm waiting to hear from nycom and pcom but feel it's a silent rejection at this point. I'm wait listed at lecom. I applied to GT SMP and was accepted.

I posted here months ago and realized my 29 would not get me into an MD school even with stellar SMP grades. How would you guys go about handling the situation? Would you start cracking the books in case an acceptance isn't in the books and register for the mcat? Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. Having a problem deciding what to do and hoped I could get everyone's 2 cents. I'm currently a poor candidate for Medical school with a cgpa of 3.4 and a sci GPA of 3.0. I have a 29 mcat, ton of shadowing and volunteer hours, 2 different search projects and one publication. I'm white so no urm here. I am a ny resident and applied to 7 DOs with hopes of getting in. I'm waiting to hear from nycom and pcom but feel it's a silent rejection at this point. I'm wait listed at lecom. I applied to GT SMP and was accepted.

I posted here months ago and realized my 29 would not get me into an MD school even with stellar SMP grades. How would you guys go about handling the situation? Would you start cracking the books in case an acceptance isn't in the books and register for the mcat? Thanks!

A few retakes can probably fix your science GPA for DO schools, put your grades in a spreadsheet and evaluate.

Better MCAT + Stellar SMP + Gap year for MD. Statistically, Georgetown is taking your money with a 29 if you're expecting a MD acceptance.

I was hoping for maybe an instate acceptance with a stellar SMP and my 29 but with my horrible GPA, that's seems to be out of the question. I'm still hoping to be accepted by a DO this cycle, but we'll see. Also, why do you say gap year? Is it because of my GPA? I saw the statistics that a lot of people get in after the gap year, but it's not impossible to get in right after finishing the program, is it? Thanks for all your help.

The reason you typically wind up with a gap year is that your application goes in with your below average GPA, you wont get your SMP grades to submit until December and even then you're only showing them one semester. There's a substantial difference between applying with a complete, reasonably competitive app, and applying with a "please hold off on your admissions offers to the countless other fully qualified candidates until you see whether I am capable of redeeming my GPA." Applying with a substantially below average GPA and a below average MCAT isn't going to help you. Applying with a below average GPA, a well above average MCAT, and an excellent SMP performance might earn you a spot. This is MD-only obviously - with a couple science retakes you could likely be extremely competitive for DO schools. Do make sure that you're ready for an SMP though, if you go tank your SMP you're in serious trouble for both.

You can look up your state school, you might have some luck if it's low but a lot of time state schools are extremely competitive due to subsidized tuition.

Best wishes on your current cycle.

The reason you typically wind up with a gap year is that your application goes in with your below average GPA, you wont get your SMP grades to submit until December and even then you're only showing them one semester. There's a substantial difference between applying with a complete, reasonably competitive app, and applying with a "please hold off on your admissions offers to the countless other fully qualified candidates until you see whether I am capable of redeeming my GPA." Applying with a substantially below average GPA and a below average MCAT isn't going to help you. Applying with a below average GPA, a well above average MCAT, and an excellent SMP performance might earn you a spot. This is MD-only obviously - with a couple science retakes you could likely be extremely competitive for DO schools. Do make sure that you're ready for an SMP though, if you go tank your SMP you're in serious trouble for both.

You can look up your state school, you might have some luck if it's low but a lot of time state schools are extremely competitive due to subsidized tuition.

Best wishes on your current cycle.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write that. I will definitely take a gap year. I am still hopeful I receive a DO acceptance this cycle but we'll see what happens. I am confident I can handle the SMP and am already mentally preparing myself in case I have to go that route. I just wish they weren't changing the mcat exam because that is giving me the biggest issue right (whether to retake it this summer or not). It would be my 3rd take and I think I may be better suited with 2 takes and a great SMP to show. Again, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it

Hi, my stats are ~c3.4, s3.45, 34. I got into several smps, but I was wondering how much of a difference it makes in doing same year application vs. waiting till you finish the program/or have 1 year of grades (BU).

I feel as long as I do well in the smp, I can get into A med school, but I'm from CA. So do you think it's worth an extra year for that early application/full year of grades to get into possibly a CA school?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doing an same year application with smp is as if you applied reallllly late right?

Hi, my stats are ~c3.4, s3.45, 34. I got into several smps, but I was wondering how much of a difference it makes in doing same year application vs. waiting till you finish the program/or have 1 year of grades (BU).

I feel as long as I do well in the smp, I can get into A med school, but I'm from CA. So do you think it's worth an extra year for that early application/full year of grades to get into possibly a CA school?
California schools generally won't consider your SMP first semester grades. You have to complete the SMP before you get any benefit in CA. (Complete the first year @ BU.)
And correct me if I'm wrong, but doing an same year application with smp is as if you applied reallllly late right?
Correct.

Edit/addition: in almost any other state, a 3.4/34 is in a good range for same-year-as-SMP MD apps. And if you're willing to bet mostly on private schools outside California/NY, you might be okay.

Last edited:
"California schools generally won't consider your SMP first semester grades. You have to complete the SMP before you get any benefit in CA. (Complete the first year @ BU.)"

Does this include USC Keck? Because georgetown seems to have 1-3 students every year going to Keck. Thanks!

"California schools generally won't consider your SMP first semester grades. You have to complete the SMP before you get any benefit in CA. (Complete the first year @ BU.)"

Does this include USC Keck? Because georgetown seems to have 1-3 students every year going to Keck. Thanks!
Those Keck matriculants may have 3.6/36 or similar. You might try to find one who will talk to you.

Hello,

I need some help. I am have applied to Drexel IMS (accepted, deposit paid), Temple ACMS, Michigan U, Tufts, VCU, EVMC, and USF. These are mostly 1-year MS programs with the exception of Drexel IMS, Temple ACMS and VCU CERT program. Of course if I am accepted into the Temple ACMS, then that is the program that ensures the highest chance of med school matriculation for me, so my search for a SMP would ideally land me into the Temple ACMS program.

But if not...Then I am looking to go to med school with severe deficits. The reality is that my chance is slimmer than most applicants.

With that in mind, with your experience and knowledge of these programs and the possibility of me going into research instead of clinical, if accepted, which of these programs would ensure a better chance at moving forward?

Thanks for any feedback.

If you're willing to go into research instead of redeeming your GPA on an attempt to get into med school, then you should go into research.

How this forum works: post your stats and whether you're from California if you want good advice. Save the cryptic comments for pre-allo.

Best of luck to you.

Hey all,

First of all, stats:

California resident, UC Berkeley grad '09.
sGPA & cGPA: 2.8
MCAT: 33
Have been working in DNA forensics for the past year.
Summer research intern for a biochem lab.
Hospital volunteer for a summer.
Worked ~30 hr/week last two years of school.
Various clubs and leadership positions as well.

My low GPA was the result of mostly arrogance and immaturity, and is something that I have since overcome. However, the fact remains that it's holding me back from both DO and MD schools. I'm open to re-taking courses, or essentially anything that will help me get into med school in the coming years. Is it worth applying to SMP programs with my stats as they are, or do I have to take courses independently to raise my GPA to even appeal to the GPA-fixing programs? I'm mostly at a loss for a direct path that I should follow, and pre-health advisers have mainly given me the "do a post-bacc" generic advice that doesn't really point me in a concrete direction. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi guys,

Quick question..if I enrolled in a special master's program and took some of the courses with current med students, would I have to retake those same courses again once I matriculate into medical school? Or is it dependent on the program/medical school? Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Quick question..if I enrolled in a special master's program and took some of the courses with current med students, would I have to retake those same courses again once I matriculate into medical school? Or is it dependent on the program/medical school? Thanks in advance

Most likely you will have to take it again, but there are rare exceptions depending on the program.

Hi guys,

Depends on the school and the program.... some schools let u skip one or two classes; rarely more than that.

And if you go to a diff school than the one that your SMP is at then you may not be able to skip any

No tears, only dreams now

Last edited:
I cannot decide how to choose what SMP/PB program I should attend.
I have a 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, and 28 MCAT, with three years of EMT experience and a dual science degree.
I plan to attend an osteopathic school in the fall of 2015.
So far, I have SMP/PB acceptances from the GeorgeSquared Program (Georgetown + George Mason), MWU, and LMU. I am on the waitlist for Georgetown and am waiting to hear back from PCOM.
Georgetown is obviously the most prestigious, but also the most expensive, while LMU is the exact opposite. These programs have been giving me the best impressions so far. I put down a deposit on MWU because I heard back from them first and didn't know how others were going to turn out.
Oh, and my soon to be fiancee lives just outside of DC, so there's that factor.
Any advice on my situation/how to decide where to go?
Thanks in advance.

I cannot decide how to choose what SMP/PB program I should attend.
I have a 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, and 28 MCAT, with three years of EMT experience and a dual science degree.
I plan to attend an osteopathic school in the fall of 2015.
So far, I have SMP/PB acceptances from the GeorgeSquared Program (Georgetown + George Mason), MWU, and LMU. I am on the waitlist for Georgetown and am waiting to hear back from PCOM.
Georgetown is obviously the most prestigious, but also the most expensive, while LMU is the exact opposite. These programs have been giving me the best impressions so far. I put down a deposit on MWU because I heard back from them first and didn't know how others were going to turn out.
Oh, and my soon to be fiancee lives just outside of DC, so there's that factor.
Any advice on my situation/how to decide where to go?
Thanks in advance.
if you have not applied before and have an upward trend in grades, I would shadow several DOs and OMM fellows and apply to early to DO schools without doing an SMP.

if you have not applied before and have an upward trend in grades, I would shadow several DOs and OMM fellows and apply to early to DO schools without doing an SMP.
Thanks. Unfortunately the only upward trend has been in classes I've taken after graduating college, and while I may be able to get in if I apply early, I want to have as much going for me as possible. Any advice on which school to attend? I'm leaning toward GeorgeSquared right now.

Hey SDN Bretherin!

I need some help here so anyone out there with an idea please chime in. I've taken the MCAT in 2013, and applied last year for this year's class 2014. I was able to get three interviews, but was rejected from two of them, with being alternate listed on the third which seems bleak now. At this point, all schools told me it was my weak undergrad Science GPA of 2.9 that killed me. All three schools have told me to strengthen my Science GPA in an SMP program, as I am looking into the one at UMDNJ.

I am so close and will not give up my dream of being a doctor. My question though is this:

The MCAT changes in 2015. If I am applying in 2015 for the 2016 cycle, will my MCAT of 2013 still be valid if I apply on June 1, 2015?

Thank you to anyone who can please help.

Hey guys
Are there any schools still accepting prospects? I just got my results for the mcat last week, I am a Canadian student as well, and I recently started researching about these.

Hi everyone,
I am new here. Here's where I stand. Undergrad 3.01, science 2.87. Still have a year left. I am from California. I have 1000 hours as a scribe, and 500 hours as an EMT on a 911 ambulance. I have a very strong trend for my GPA and was wondering what programs I should consider. I am really thinking about Regis but am open to any suggestions. I have not taken the MCAT and am not planning on doing so before the 2015 test is released.
Thanks

I feel like I'm screwed because I need to bring up my GPA to get it to a 3.0 and also to increase my MCAT to a 28 at a minimum.....where do I find the time for everything???? What to do?

EDIT: I had/have poor planning so I did not do it last year/this summer but now I really need to decided what to do. I really need help....i dunno how ill prepare for the new sections on the MCAT (psych, soc, stats - as I've never taken a course in any of these subjects....). Freaking out right now, dunno what to do.

I feel like I'm screwed because I need to bring up my GPA to get it to a 3.0 and also to increase my MCAT to a 28 at a minimum.....where do I find the time for everything???? What to do?

EDIT: I had/have poor planning so I did not do it last year/this summer but now I really need to decided what to do. I really need help....i dunno how ill prepare for the new sections on the MCAT (psych, soc, stats - as I've never taken a course in any of these subjects....). Freaking out right now, dunno what to do.

If I were you, I would schedule an MCAT date for Jan 2015, which is the last time the old MCAT will be offered, and would give you plenty time to prepare and do well. While doing that, apply for a postbacc that you can start in Jan once the MCAT has been taken. If you cannot find one that starts after your MCAT date, then find one that starts in Sept. Figure out something productive to do until it starts--volunteer, do research. All of this requires planning that starts right now. It may seem overwhelming, but do a little bit each day and, if this is really what you want to do in life- you'll find a way. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. I'm applying to SMPs myself at the moment. Good luck.

If I were you, I would schedule an MCAT date for Jan 2015, which is the last time the old MCAT will be offered, and would give you plenty time to prepare and do well. While doing that, apply for a postbacc that you can start in Jan once the MCAT has been taken. If you cannot find one that starts after your MCAT date, then find one that starts in Sept. Figure out something productive to do until it starts--volunteer, do research. All of this requires planning that starts right now. It may seem overwhelming, but do a little bit each day and, if this is really what you want to do in life- you'll find a way. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. I'm applying to SMPs myself at the moment. Good luck.

Thanks GoBlue that is very helpful!

I was thinking about applying to some SMPs too but I am afraid that I wouldn't be accepted with my stats and couldn't handle the load how are you preparing. Which SMP are you going to?

I would PM you if I knew where to find the PM button, can't find it anywhere :(

Hey SDN Bretherin!

I need some help here so anyone out there with an idea please chime in. I've taken the MCAT in 2013, and applied last year for this year's class 2014. I was able to get three interviews, but was rejected from two of them, with being alternate listed on the third which seems bleak now. At this point, all schools told me it was my weak undergrad Science GPA of 2.9 that killed me. All three schools have told me to strengthen my Science GPA in an SMP program, as I am looking into the one at UMDNJ.

I am so close and will not give up my dream of being a doctor. My question though is this:

The MCAT changes in 2015. If I am applying in 2015 for the 2016 cycle, will my MCAT of 2013 still be valid if I apply on June 1, 2015?

Thank you to anyone who can please help.

Last I checked MCAT scores are usually valid for three years, with the exception being the weird transition period right now to the new MCAT. The official answer is that it can vary from 2-3 years validity, depending on the school itself. AAMC suggests you contact each individual school to find out their specific policy.

On the other hand, if it's the roll-out of the new MCAT that you're worried about, you should be fine. They've recently compiled a list of the schools that will be accepting the old MCAT or the new one depending on which application cycle you're in. These are for medical schools of course, but I'm assuming a similar policy will apply to each institutions' SMP and medical school program. Feel free to contact them individually if you need reassurances (I certainly did!).

Personally, I'm a little confused why you aren't applying in this cycle for the 2015 cycle instead...don't SMP applications open around September (depending on the individual school, of course)? Of course, if you're simply dancing to your own tune and have other plans, just ignore my confusion :)

Hi guys,

I anyone can give me their two cents I would really appreciate it. I'm currently in the process of applying to both MD and DO schools. My stats are as follows:
- FL resident, Hispanic (not URM, I think)
- 3.45 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA
- 30 MCAT (10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS) - English is my second language for what is worth.
- Tons of ECs, 2000+ hours working as an ER scribe, 300+ hours shadowing, good LORs, committee letter from undergrad school, not much research (might start doing more in the upcoming weeks).

My question is, should I have a back up plan and apply to an SMP (i.e. GTown, Temple, BU, etc)? How do my stats look for SMPs? I'm not sure if I will get in this cycle even though apply relatively early and very broadly (should I consider retaking MCAT?) . I'm asking now because most SMP applications are open or about to open for Fall, 2015 and I would like to know what you guys think.

Also, in the case that I don't get into any medical school and go to an SMP, should I apply once the SMP is done or while on it? I've read on this thread that they recommend applying before starting the SMP but at that point I would technically have nothing to add to my application (other than work and research) and the upcoming SMP.

Thanks to anyone who decides to help me, I really appreciate it.

Are these SMPs equivalent to traditional masters? My premed advisor told me that these won't get me any teaching position, though I wasn't sure what she meant. Some of these are M.S and they require a thesis too.

Are there any pre-dents or current dental students in this thread that would mind giving me some advice?

Hey everybody,
I've found these threads to be rather helpful. I've done my research and definitely know that doing a Masters program is going to be the best route for me considering my low GPA and my lack of higher level science courses. I majored in Anthropology and only took basic MCAT science classes. My issue with undergrad at Loyola was that I took all my major sciences my freshman year and did horrible (bio, chem, calc), but my grades picked up by senior year (when I took phyics and orgo). I will be applying to both MD and DO (strongly aiming towards). I'm wondering if anyone can guide me in the right direction. I'm going to apply to MS programs for 2015 entry and then once I receive my grades I plan to subit my med school application. That way my gpa will be higher. Should I wait to take the newer MCAT then? OR should I take the current MCAT in Jan? To get into RFUMS a GRE is sufficient. Also, when i apply for the 2017 med school cycle after my masters is done will they still be accepting the current MCAT? Can anyone please advise me if i should take advantage of the current MCAT or wait until after masters and do the new MCAT? THANK YOU!!!!!!

Here are my stats:
BS. in Anthropology from Loyola Uni
Graduated 2014
Cum GPA: 2.945
Science GPA: 2.7

What are my chances getting into MS programs???

I have a question for @robflanker and @DrMidlife or any other experts here. I was wondering how much more favorably, if at all, medical schools look on SMPs and their classes with medical students versus other rigorous science-heavy masters programs that do not put you in classes with med students? I've already started applying to SMPs but am wondering if it is worth it to apply to some regular masters programs closer to home that would be cheaper options. Thank you.

If you're looking to save money and have things be convenient AND get into med school WITHOUT traditionally acceptable credentials, then you are asking for too much. GPA redemption is a hot mess. Don't expect it to be efficient or tidy or cost-effective.

SMPs are expensive, risky, difficult, inconvenient KNOWN ENTITIES to med schools, because the first year of med school at a US MD school is easily assessable as an audition for the rest of med school. There are only about 14 SMPs, so it's reasonable to expect med schools to (a) have heard of your SMP if not (b) have a current student from there. And you generally need to successfully FINISH an SMP BEFORE you apply to med school. (Nobody likes hearing this. Everybody loves saying "but I know a guy". Do you want to use anecdata to plan your career?)

Traditional grad work makes sense in SOME cases, such as if you get published and you get LORs and your undergrad GPA isn't sub-3.0 and you are realistic about what med schools know or are willing to find out about your work in one of many thousands of bio sci grad programs in the US (hint: med schools will do jack to research you because there are 5000 apps in that pile. Too hard, next!). Grad school GPA has to be high, or it's questionable, and even if it's high, it does nothing to help your undergrad GPA problems. (But an SMP doesn't necessarily do a lot to help your undergrad GPA problems either.)

Both paths require you to be the self-aware grownup in charge. High wire; no net.

Best of luck to you.

I have a lot of questions about SMPs, is there anyone I can message who can help me out? Thanks in advance!