**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No you don't need to be a science major! They usually have just their required pre reqs. The cutoffs for a lot of them aren't absolute. Many do take into account other factors. I know people with sub 3.0 GPAs that have gotten into SMPs with upward trends and decent scores! Definitely worth a try applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for the advice and information. I was planning on applying to med schools in the next cycle so I only recently found out about the replacement policy change, and I knew virtually nothing about SMP's and Post bacc's earlier so I'm trying to gain an understanding on how to proceed from here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys, Feel free to add onto this thread- now that I'm well under way with my own Special Masters Program (SMP) I'd thought that I'd donate some of my time back here because it's been so helpful for me. I'll keep tacking on more when I have more time to spend on this.
UConn- There's one pre-dent in the post-bac program right now, and you can do upper level coursework if you have all the prereqs filled.

Omg..Thank you so much for this post! I just now found out about SMPs and had never heard of them before. I hope this helps me because I really want to be a physician. However, I have low stats: 3.53 cGPA and 495 MCAT score (got 494 the first time :( ) I applied to both MD and DO schools but haven't heard from either. Do you think I am better off applying to SMPs at DO schools only or can I still get accepted to the ones at good MD schools like Georgetown Uni, BU etc?
Also, if someone can please list the schools that offer 1yr SMPs with med school classes mostly (and the ones that could really boost up my chance of getting accepted by med schools) that would be extremely helpful! I live in MD btw if location matters. I am seriously considering this because I have been very confused about what to do incase I don't get an interview call this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg..Thank you so much for this post! I just now found out about SMPs and had never heard of them before. I hope this helps me because I really want to be a physician. However, I have low stats: 3.53 cGPA and 495 MCAT score (got 494 the first time :( ) I applied to both MD and DO schools but haven't heard from either. Do you think I am better off applying to SMPs at DO schools only or can I still get accepted to the ones at good MD schools like Georgetown Uni, BU etc?
Also, if someone can please list the schools that offer 1yr SMPs with med school classes mostly (and the ones that could really boost up my chance of getting accepted by med schools) that would be extremely helpful! I live in MD btw if location matters. I am seriously considering this because I have been very confused about what to do incase I don't get an interview call this year.
You don't need an SMP, you need to learn how to take the MCAT. SMPs are largely for grade repair. Although many people do better on the MCAT after an SMP, it's primarily due to learning how to study better and function under pressure. Unfortunately, it's unlikely a good SMP would accept you with those scores because you don't have a strong chance of being accepted to medical school even if you did well in the SMP.

My advice is to find out where you're deficient on the MCAT. Is it content, stress, timing? It would be much cheaper for you to take an MCAT prep course and figure these things out than go to an SMP (which is full time and at least $30k).

I looked at your post history and I think you should apply to the GT GEMS program. They have an average MCAT of students at about your level. The SMP's average MCAT is significantly higher.

Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS)

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need an SMP, you need to learn how to take the MCAT. SMPs are largely for grade repair. Although many people do better on the MCAT after an SMP, it's primarily due to learning how to study better and function under pressure. Unfortunately, it's unlikely a good SMP would accept you with those scores because you don't have a strong chance of being accepted to medical school even if you did well in the SMP.

My advice is to find out where you're deficient on the MCAT. Is it content, stress, timing? It would be much cheaper for you to take an MCAT prep course and figure these things out than go to an SMP (which is full time and at least $30k).

I looked at your post history and I think you should apply to the GT GEMS program. They have an average MCAT of students at about your level. The SMP's average MCAT is

Thank you. Yes, I found out about the GEMS later. I hope they accept me.

I'm 30yr old and have done my graduation in psychology. Don't ask me, what was I thinking then since I was the first generation college student so didn't had any idea where I'm heading to. I'm preparing for GRE with hopes of getting into PA school when my initial plans were going to med school. My GPA is the main reason for opting out med school since my cGPA is 2.6 and I didn't even worry about calculating science GPA. I'm in rush to get into profession but I'm still confused if I should even try for med school since all my pre-req are not finished yet or I should leave my all hopes here only. Everything is bogging me down and I can't even concentrate on studying GRE right now.

Thanks for your advice!

I'm 30yr old and have done my graduation in psychology. Don't ask me, what was I thinking then since I was the first generation college student so didn't had any idea where I'm heading to. I'm preparing for GRE with hopes of getting into PA school when my initial plans were going to med school. My GPA is the main reason for opting out med school since my cGPA is 2.6 and I didn't even worry about calculating science GPA. I'm in rush to get into profession but I'm still confused if I should even try for med school since all my pre-req are not finished yet or I should leave my all hopes here only. Everything is bogging me down and I can't even concentrate on studying GRE right now.

Thanks for your advice!
So do you want to go to PA school or medical school? Regardless, you should calculate your sGPA so you can know where you need to go from here.

Hello, first time posting seeking some advice.

Background:
1st major Economics (2005 - gpa: 3.0)
2nd major Biology (2017 - cGPA: 3.4 and AMCAS sGPA: 3.4) but calculating all "post-bac" sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 486

Planning on applying DO schools this cycle (2017) and maybe Caribbean (AUC, ROSS or St. George)

I was thinking of applying DO and if I don't get in then retake the MCAT but now I am confuse if I should even do an SMP?

Would love some advice.
Thank you!

Hello, first time posting seeking some advice.

Background:
1st major Economics (2005 - gpa: 3.0)
2nd major Biology (2017 - cGPA: 3.4 and AMCAS sGPA: 3.4) but calculating all "post-bac" sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 486

Planning on applying DO schools this cycle (2017) and maybe Caribbean (AUC, ROSS or St. George)

I was thinking of applying DO and if I don't get in then retake the MCAT but now I am confuse if I should even do an SMP?

Would love some advice.
Thank you!
A 486 is equivalent to about a 17 on the old exam. How were your scores on your practice exams? GPA is not a concern, your main focus at this point should be a MUCH better MCAT score.

SMPs are generally used for GPA repair which should not be your main focus. Caribbean should be your last resort.

Hello. Need some help here deciding on a Post-Bac/SMP or even just a Medical Sciences Master Degree. Another question, is it truly that important that a Post-Bac has a linkage with a medical school or more so just how much it will improve your GPA and what upper level science courses are taken. I currently have a Cumulative GPA of 3.3 and Science GPA 3.4. I have a Bachelor in Health Sciences currently and have been a respiratory therapist for the last five years. One concern I have is that Post-Bac will cause me to have to take out more private loan money since I have already acquired a bit of debt through undergrad. My understanding is that perhaps a Master's degree could be more advantageous in this scenario because of the federal aid that is given for MS programs. Overall, just wanting some advice with my given information on what routes might be best. I have not yet taken the MCAT.

Hello. Need some help here deciding on a Post-Bac/SMP or even just a Medical Sciences Master Degree. Another question, is it truly that important that a Post-Bac has a linkage with a medical school or more so just how much it will improve your GPA and what upper level science courses are taken. I currently have a Cumulative GPA of 3.3 and Science GPA 3.4. I have a Bachelor in Health Sciences currently and have been a respiratory therapist for the last five years. One concern I have is that Post-Bac will cause me to have to take out more private loan money since I have already acquired a bit of debt through undergrad. My understanding is that perhaps a Master's degree could be more advantageous in this scenario because of the federal aid that is given for MS programs. Overall, just wanting some advice with my given information on what routes might be best. I have not yet taken the MCAT.

You need to take the MCAT before you consider an SMP. Have you taken the pre-med prerequisite courses?

I have taken a fair amount. I am currently still missing: Bio II, Physics I & II and Organic Chemistry II. What if I were to apply to a Medical Sciences Master Program? This program is at University of Kentucky and is geared towards students who desire to take a path in the medical field.

Hey everyone,

I know this thread is 10 years old, but where could I find an update 2017 SMP School List? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering if I should apply to an SMP. I have gotten several pre-interview rejections and only 1 interview offer which turned into a rejection. My stats are: MCAT-512, GPA-3.65, Volunteering-507 hours in hospital as well as 3 years of research and one publication. I am currently taking a gap year and doing translational research at a hospital to improve my application. The only thing that I would think is holding me back at this point is a low GPA. Would an SMP be beneficial for me, or would it be better to work in a hospital position and seeking further publications if I am not accepted this cycle?

I’m shocked by the amount of people here stating that a GPA of 3.5 and higher is considered low. What are the people with the 2.8s and lower supposed to think? We’re goners....

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Hi,
I would really appreciate any and all advice on the following scenario requiring methods of gpa enhancement, particularly sgpa:
IF THIS POST BELONGS TO A SPECIFIC THREAD, please let me know where to put it!
I majored in BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017 with overall GPA 3.4, science gpa 3.1. I had a bad downward trend senior year - 3.3 fall and 3.13 spring semester. Retook general chemistry 1 and 2. Regarding ECs, I have 250 hours of volunteering in two hospitals and 1 nursing home. 16 hours of shadowing at a hospital. I did an undergraduate research fellowship for 8 months on data processing in a lab meant to design robotic devices for autistic children. I had one leadership role in Biomedical Engineering Society club for a year. I didn't have other ECS while in school.

I had to withdraw from organic chemistry 2 in spring semester (had a poor semester with a 3.1 GPA senior year due to poor time management and mental health issues that I am now resolving and doing much better from) and retook it in the summer getting an A-. I took biochemistry in the fall semester and got an A while volunteering at a nearby hospital 4-8 hours a week. Currently, taking organic chemistry 2 laboratory and volunteering and shadowing. I am planning to take the MCAT in April or May.

I am debating whether I should apply to a smp program(Georgetown SMP, Cinnnati SMP, Tufts MBS, BU MAMS) or a premedical certificate (like the John Hopkins HSI) that involves upper-level undergraduate coursework starting 2018 fall(or summer, depending on the program) or just take additional upper-level science course to help out. I know that if I do a smp, med schools will look at both the undergraduate gpa and smp gpa separately and am just unsure how much a good smp gpa can compensate for my undergraduate science gpa. So I am debated -- will med schools prefer strong peformance in med school coursework or rather see I boost up my undergraduate science gpa?

If I decide to do DIY post bac program, I calculated that if I get As in 32 credits, I am able to boost my undergraduate science GPA to 3.4 (this requires extreme care I know ). I know I also have the option to do 32 credits coursework, MCAT, and apply to post bacs as I apply to med schools. However, if a smp would help more than DIY post bac for my situation, I'd prefer to that because I can take out a federal loan to cover the smp cost while for DIY informal post bac, no financial aid is offered and I have to pay out of pocket.

One more note: I have a thought of doing the Georgetown SMP and doing well in it for this reason: I know someone who is a dean at that med school (not a dean of admissions but a particular dean) and would be willing to support my application.

IF THIS POST BELONGS TO A SPECIFIC THREAD, please let me know where to put it!
Any and all advice on this is truly appreciated. Thanks very much for your help.

I have 3.4 GPA and 3.2sGPA with MCAT of 515. CHosing between U of Cincinnati SMP and Temple ACHS. I have an admission from both. Any suggestions?

I’m a rising senior. I’m considering a few bs/md programs. My only question is that is it better to go a bs/md program that isn’t that hard or prestigious (act of 26 to be accepted) or go to a school that doesn’t have a bs/md program but is known to have a good science program?

I’m considering the bs/md program at Ben u, iit and DePaul. They all have affiliations with med schools that aren’t necessarily the best however have solid science programs. Schools like Bradley and uiuc have great programs without bs/md. If anyone has any insight at these schools, I’d really appreciate it.

Okay dont judge me, My sGPA is a 2.8 and cGPA is a 3.2 and my recent MCAT was poor (490) is there any chance of me being admitted into an SMP?

I have retaken the MCAT ( scores pending ).

Okay dont judge me, My sGPA is a 2.8 and cGPA is a 3.2 and my recent MCAT was poor (490) is there any chance of me being admitted into an SMP?

I have retaken the MCAT ( scores pending ).

Yes but it will be tough. You can only apply to programs that accept a <3.0 sGPA OR that just need a > 3.0 cGPA. Some may even have MCAT cut offs.

Is there any good SMP program in New York City? My family lives in there and I don't wanna pay extra money for the rent. I did some researches, but it's kinda confused if all those programs are for phd or MD.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a couple of questions. I am looking to apply for some Post-bac programs, particularly UCSD, Georgetown, and Tulane. I have a GPA of 3.5, 509 MCAT. I applied to medical schools this cycle, but do not think I will end up anywhere. Some of the programs use the PostBacCAS application. Since I applied to some DO schools, I already filled out the AACOMAS application. Here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to transfer the information from the AACOMAS application to the PostBacCAS information, as everything is pretty much the same?

2) For the personal statement, can I reuse the same essay as the one on my AACOMAS?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi,

My GRE Writing has only 3.5 (41%), other 2 (Verbal & Quant) are 83% each. I am planning to apply for MBS program at Drexel. I am little nervus due to 3.5 on writing, Will this impact my accptance ? I do have 3.3 GPA and reasonable Shadowing and Volunteering hours. What are my chances? Any Suggestions ?

Thank you.
ck

I posted this on reddit with only a little feedback. I’m hoping for some additional thoughts.

tl;dr - is quitting my job (losing 50k) so I can do an SMP with only the interview guarantee a better idea than continuing to work and take night classes?

I had one interview this year (rejected with an offer to apply to their SMP) and all other rejections. I didn't expect much this year but thought I would see where I would fall starting out the gate. I just got another rejection email and this one mentioned they have a SMP with direct entry to their DO program, provided you meet their benchmarks. My MCAT already covers me for that part of their benchmarks.

Are these programs really worthwhile? I currently work full time, am prepping for the MCAT again, and have been taking night classes to build up my postbac. I don't want to give up my guaranteed income +benefits for another year for an SMP if it's not going to do anything for me.

Stats and Basics

cGPA: 3.17
sGPA: 2.9
MS,GPA: 3.2
pbGPA: 3.69

10+ years CNA
Masters and undergrad research

Volunteer and Career experience up the kazoo. I'm 38. Career and college stuff going back since 1998.

Thanks all!!!

I posted this on reddit with only a little feedback. I’m hoping for some additional thoughts.

tl;dr - is quitting my job (losing 50k) so I can do an SMP with only the interview guarantee a better idea than continuing to work and take night classes?

I had one interview this year (rejected with an offer to apply to their SMP) and all other rejections. I didn't expect much this year but thought I would see where I would fall starting out the gate. I just got another rejection email and this one mentioned they have a SMP with direct entry to their DO program, provided you meet their benchmarks. My MCAT already covers me for that part of their benchmarks.

Are these programs really worthwhile? I currently work full time, am prepping for the MCAT again, and have been taking night classes to build up my postbac. I don't want to give up my guaranteed income +benefits for another year for an SMP if it's not going to do anything for me.

Stats and Basics

cGPA: 3.17
sGPA: 2.9
MS,GPA: 3.2
pbGPA: 3.69

10+ years CNA
Masters and undergrad research

Volunteer and Career experience up the kazoo. I'm 38. Career and college stuff going back since 1998.

Thanks all!!!
Calculate how many A's you need to make to raise your undergrad science GPA to a 3.0. Do a diy post-bac at a local university by taking upper level bio classes (make sure you get A's). While you are doing your diy post-bac, continue to work, volunteer, prepare for your MCAT and only take the test when you are truly ready. If you do everything accordingly, apply early to DO schools and your state MD depending on how you do on your MCAT.

any advice for a current senior with a gpa around a 3.1 , sgpa at 2.7. MCAT/GRE have not yet taken (will soon but test MCAT scores are around 515s). i know that i still want to complete research at whatever postbacc program i hopefully am able to attend. are there any that give you a good opportunity to do that? or should i look towards more traditional research? i'm interested in doing research with bionics and prosthetics and probably pM&R after med school . i currently am majoring in physiology with a minor in public health.

any advice for a current senior with a gpa around a 3.1 , sgpa at 2.7. MCAT/GRE have not yet taken (will soon but test MCAT scores are around 515s). i know that i still want to complete research at whatever postbacc program i hopefully am able to attend. are there any that give you a good opportunity to do that? or should i look towards more traditional research? i'm interested in doing research with bionics and prosthetics and probably pM&R after med school . i currently am majoring in physiology with a minor in public health.

I think a post-bacc to get your sGPA to at least a 3.0 is necessary. Just try to crush the MCAT and don't take it until your practice scores consistently reflect what you are hoping to get.

You should be able to do research at most post-bacs. Some may have a more structured research program, but you should be able to get involved in some research projects almost anywhere.

I think a post-bacc to get your sGPA to at least a 3.0 is necessary. Just try to crush the MCAT and don't take it until your practice scores consistently reflect what you are hoping to get.

You should be able to do research at most post-bacs. Some may have a more structured research program, but you should be able to get involved in some research projects almost anywhere.
only issue is it will take years to get it up

Not sure how active this thread is but, I was accepted to LECOM- Bradenton's MMS, KCU-COB, and VCOM's MABs programs. Does anyone have some insight on which one would be best? Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

No you don't need to be a science major! They usually have just their required pre reqs. The cutoffs for a lot of them aren't absolute. Many do take into account other factors. I know people with sub 3.0 GPAs that have gotten into SMPs with upward trends and decent scores! Definitely worth a try applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
May I ask, what is an example class schedule of SMP students for their first year and/or second year? Are they taking 4-5 classes per semester with medical students? How long are the classes typically, and is there lab shortly after? How much time would you have to study after class?
Thank you in advance!