the official COMAT shelf thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Peds comat done lol finally officially done with third year and done with comats forever!! It honestly didnt feel too bad felt the same leaving FM comat-lots of step 1 stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally dragging around to post that I am now also done with my last comat of third year… unfortunately, not my last comat ever, because we take one for EM, so I’ll take a comat next spring.

Gonna reiterate for soon-to-be third years, who will read this thread soon - *USE COMQUEST* for the comats… I crammed a couple of blocks this morning and there were some questions on the comat that I swear were almost word for word how I saw them presented in comquest an hour earlier, with only tiny detail changes but the exact same answer otherwise. Idk if some of the NBOME question writers work for comquest as a second job or vice versa, but after the multiple nearly identical questions today, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Either way, I felt good walking out and comquest has me predicted at a 115, so we’ll see if I stay there!

Reactions: 4 users
Finally dragging around to post that I am now also done with my last comat of third year… unfortunately, not my last comat ever, because we take one for EM, so I’ll take a comat next spring.

Gonna reiterate for soon-to-be third years, who will read this thread soon - *USE COMQUEST* for the comats… I crammed a couple of blocks this morning and there were some questions on the comat that I swear were almost word for word how I saw them presented in comquest an hour earlier, with only tiny detail changes but the exact same answer otherwise. Idk if some of the NBOME question writers work for comquest as a second job or vice versa, but after the multiple nearly identical questions today, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Either way, I felt good walking out and comquest has me predicted at a 115, so we’ll see if I stay there!
are you impatiently waiting for comat scores to be released today like I am? lol i took peds last wednesday. I think they should be up today or tomorrow? but maybe im wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
are you impatiently waiting for comat scores to be released today like I am? lol i took peds last wednesday. I think they should be up today or tomorrow? but maybe im wrong
Abso-effing-lutely. I’m so ready to have this over with for the year. I’ve checked a few times today… hopefully they won’t make us wait until too late tomorrow.

Abso-effing-lutely. I’m so ready to have this over with for the year. I’ve checked a few times today… hopefully they won’t make us wait until too late tomorrow.
Lol i know! they usually wait till end of the day i feel like. Bet we both did well! Ill keep u posted

How is everyone's schedule looking for 4th year? I'm having major imposter syndrome because my schedule feels pretty chill and I'm worried I'm gonna look dumb as an intern. Juggling that with not wanting to do sub-Is at programs I want to go to and the general consensus that sub-Is aren't really needed for IM. Just getting paranoid that I should be doing more.

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone's schedule looking for 4th year? I'm having major imposter syndrome because my schedule feels pretty chill and I'm worried I'm gonna look dumb as an intern. Juggling that with not wanting to do sub-Is at programs I want to go to and the general consensus that sub-Is aren't really needed for IM. Just getting paranoid that I should be doing more.
FM Applicant. Got 3 auditions and then a few rotations that some family medicine residents recommended for prepping for residency (OB, Derm, PM&R, NICU). However my last 8 weeks are online rotations. But Im also not a baller like you guys so I wanted some extra prep for intern year

Im legit trying to set up my sched to do the least lmao i know thats ballsy for intern year but i am so dang burned out that idc lol I legit made a reddit thread this morning asking for the chillest/online rotations so I can go to the beach. My thoughts are were going to have zero life for the next 3-6 years depending if you do fellowship or not and IM residency in general is notoriously brutal so I need as much gas in the tank as possible. We worked our asses off in med school its time to rest for a little-sorry if this sounds lazy lmao i made upmy mind that i need to force my type A brain to just chill for once

• Love
I am going as many places as I can possibly go… for the fun, mostly. Doing a rads rotation at my third year site to get an intro, then doing an ultrasound rads rotation and an interventional rads rotation as auditions. Then I’m picking up a SICU rotation in a crazy huge academic level 1 trauma center, because they rotate all their IR people through it so at least I’ll get to rub elbows. I feel pretty dang confident in the ICU environment in general, but SICU is a different beast from the MICU flow I know so well, so it’s still scary af.

Then I’m doing two more rotations out just to meet graduation requirements in the spring! I’m even doing my mandatory geriatrics rotation through VSAS. So much better than just following someone around for a month.

I’m debating to see if I can lock down one more away just to go and see somewhere else... but five is already an awful lot of traveling (and money), so I think I’m done. That leaves few enough hours at my third year core site that I can get away with just doing the rest of my rotations there.

• Wow
Im legit trying to set up my sched to do the least lmao i know thats ballsy for intern year but i am so dang burned out that idc lol I legit made a reddit thread this morning asking for the chillest/online rotations so I can go to the beach. My thoughts are were going to have zero life for the next 3-6 years depending if you do fellowship or not and IM residency in general is notoriously brutal so I need as much gas in the tank as possible. We worked our asses off in med school its time to rest for a little-sorry if this sounds lazy lmao i made upmy mind that i need to force my type A brain to just chill for once
Lmao ok this makes me feel a bit better. It's more that I honestly don't want to waste money to travel and live in a place for a sub-I and the stuff available near me is slim in my desired specialty. So I'm kind of adopting this mindset but at the same time I'm nervous about not getting how residency works. Although I figure after a couple sub-Is it should be clear enough? People on here just always harp on rotation quality so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao ok this makes me feel a bit better. It's more that I honestly don't want to waste money to travel and live in a place for a sub-I and the stuff available near me is slim in my desired specialty. So I'm kind of adopting this mindset but at the same time I'm nervous about not getting how residency works. Although I figure after a couple sub-Is it should be clear enough? People on here just always harp on rotation quality so much.
Yeah they do harp on rotation quality in the sense of: residents, teaching wards-based, inpatient IM vs outpatient, no residents/online IM. the former will prep most people well for the flow of how things work and what I think most people on here refer to as “quality” vs crap lol. So if youre M3 IM rotation sounds like more of the former and you did well in it you at least know how to work up patients in the hospital setting know how to function well with a team of residents and know how to present. Whether we do a ton of SubIs or not were still going to walk into intern year feeling like we dont know **** anyways lol and we wont know **** bc no one does when they start intern year. were interns to learn how to be doctors

FM Applicant. Got 3 auditions and then a few rotations that some family medicine residents recommended for prepping for residency (OB, Derm, PM&R, NICU). However my last 8 weeks are online rotations. But Im also not a baller like you guys so I wanted some extra prep for intern year

Were your online rotations offered by your school or are they VSAS rotations?

I applied to 6-7 away rotation, so far no luck but I applied late like in May. They haven't acepted or rejected, is that common?

I applied to 6-7 away rotation, so far no luck but I applied late like in May. They haven't acepted or rejected, is that common?
I’d say so. I applied to well over 100 (not 100 distinct sites, but combo of distinct sites + different months) to get the six I have lined up.

I noticed a lot of people recommending COMQUEST for the Comats. Did anyone use Amboss alone? Taking my OB Comat(first one) this Friday and have only done Anki, Amboss and some Uwise. Our school gives us Truelearn but havent really touched that yet. Was hoping to reassess after using only Amboss for this first comat but kind of worried.

I noticed a lot of people recommending COMQUEST for the Comats. Did anyone use Amboss alone? Taking my OB Comat(first one) this Friday and have only done Anki, Amboss and some Uwise. Our school gives us Truelearn but havent really touched that yet. Was hoping to reassess after using only Amboss for this first comat but kind of worried.
Don't spend money on COMQUEST you don't need it. You only need UWorld and school-provided COMBANK to get honors on all of them.

Anki and Uwise is very very good for OB comat. Two things I wish i did for OB because its so algorithmic. I used Comquest and UWorld but amboss is fine

Anki and Uwise is very very good for OB comat. Two things I wish i did for OB because its so algorithmic. I used Comquest and UWorld but amboss is fine
You actually found Uwise to be helpful? My friend took OB last month and said it was too in-depth so I've really only used it for the mandatory quizzes we had to do on there. I could make time to go at least do my weak topics if you think it'll be worth it. Even when studying for step 1 female repro was one of my worst subjects.

You actually found Uwise to be helpful? My friend took OB last month and said it was too in-depth so I've really only used it for the mandatory quizzes we had to do on there. I could make time to go at least do my weak topics if you think it'll be worth it. Even when studying for step 1 female repro was one of my worst subjects.
Female repro was my worst as well. I honored every comat with an avg of 120 except for OB and I truly believe it was a combination of being my weakest subject but also because its so algorithmic as I had mentioned and anki is very helpful for this (cheesy dorian is great bc it uses OME which has all the algorithms). I did not do Anki for OB and regret it. Anecdotal as it may be but everyone I talked to that had honored OB did Uwise and Anki for it

• Wow
Female repro was my worst as well. I honored every comat with an avg of 120 except for OB and I truly believe it was a combination of being my weakest subject but also because its so algorithmic as I had mentioned and anki is very helpful for this (cheesy dorian is great bc it uses OME which has all the algorithms). I did not do Anki for OB and regret it. Anecdotal as it may be but everyone I talked to that had honored OB did Uwise and Anki for it
Averaging 120 on all comats, damn bro! I was struggling to keep it above 90. Good thing, my school grade is a combination of comats and preceptor evaluations.

Did anyone here take the EM COMAT? I'll be taking it next month and since all of my knowledge has decayed since stopping Anki, I was thinking to maybe purchase either combank or comquest specific for EM and just do those to study. Any tips?

Did anyone here take the EM COMAT? I'll be taking it next month and since all of my knowledge has decayed since stopping Anki, I was thinking to maybe purchase either combank or comquest specific for EM and just do those to study. Any tips?
Taking it next week. I'm just doing comquest.

heard mixed things. found a anki deck on reddit for EM, plan on doing comquest, but my exam isnt till march where I will be at peak stupidity

heard mixed things. found a anki deck on reddit for EM, plan on doing comquest, but my exam isnt till march where I will be at peak stupidity
Ugh I really can't handle doing Anki ever again lol

Ugh I really can't handle doing Anki ever again lol
Knowing you and how you killed every exam so far. I doubt this exam will have any bearing on anything from now on. And you could probably just take it without studying or doing questions and still pass.

Alright, just bought COMQUEST for EM. Hope that's enough...I browsed for Anki decks out of curiosity and saw they were all like 2000 cards so nope. All of my knowledge has decayed lol. Wish my school didn't make us take this.

Alright, just bought COMQUEST for EM. Hope that's enough...I browsed for Anki decks out of curiosity and saw they were all like 2000 cards so nope. All of my knowledge has decayed lol. Wish my school didn't make us take this.
Well. I honored it lol

Hey everyone. I got the OB COMAT tomorrow and was just wondering how accurate COMQUESTs prediction is. I finished with a 77% and 116 predicted score but idk if its just inflated. Thanks ppl.

Hey everyone. I got the OB COMAT tomorrow and was just wondering how accurate COMQUESTs prediction is. I finished with a 77% and 116 predicted score but idk if its just inflated. Thanks ppl.
So far all of my CQ predictions have been within 1-2 points.

OB COMQUEST Predicted score: 116
Actual COMAT Score: 122

Congrats! I took mine the same day as you and my score isn’t posted yet. 🤷‍♀️
Thank you! My school emailed me about my score but it hasn't been posted on the NBOME site yet