Comparing NBME shelf performance to COMAT, and how to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spes93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student >90th percentile on step 1 but didn’t do so great on my first NBME shelf practice exam for pediatrics after my first week. I got a 22/80% with three weeks to go. im currently doing AnKing for step 2 and using Amboss. I’m wondering how much people typically improve on the practice exams and for the real thing (and how)?

And how does a 80% on nbme translate to comat (is comat harder/easier?)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that NBME is a lot harder than the COMAT shelfs. I don't know a single of my classmates that took NBME practice shelf exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow really? Didnt know that. So the NBME MD shelves are a lot harder than the DO comat shelves?
From what I've heard yeah. At my Sub-I right now, and there is a LECOM student here rotating as well that told me their school forces them take both NBMEs (for practice) and COMATs, and they concur that NBMEs are harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I've heard yeah. At my Sub-I right now, and there is a LECOM student here rotating as well that told me their school forces them take both NBMEs (for practice) and COMATs, and they concur that NBMEs are harder.
wow im screwed for Step 2 lol I was hoping my strong comat scores would translate to the Step 2 im shooting for. kinda scary that there is probably not much of a correlation there. I better take a practice NBME

So as someone who is getting a low 90s--> 100s (100 peds 95 em 92 obgyn) on my comats, am I screwed for step 2? Got a 227 step 1 and don't want to sabotage it with like a 210 on step 2. Sorry to bring up an older-ish thread