The Official August 22, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With just a little less than 2 months to go, I am wondering why this thread hasn't been made yet.

Is anyone else here signed up for the 8/22 MCAT?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule and I can't wait to be done with content review. I'm excited to finally take an AAMC to see if I've been studying correctly these last 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. You win the internet. Here's a skateboard made out of a sandwich.

But seriously, this has nothing to do with our test. Go outside and play before the weather starts to turn.

That's not even a good one. It's a far cry from your "SUNY Ithaca" one. I'm disappointed. :thumbdown:

That's not even a good one. It's a far cry from your "SUNY Ithaca" one. I'm disappointed. :thumbdown:

64473d1350994809-cara-okay-tumblr_lu0j81wntg1qcxpbo.jpg

I understand that there is some skepticism when a new poster comes on this thread while all of you have been a community since this thread was started and I post about getting a very good score. I don't think it was solely luck because I am a good test taker and my practice tests were taken while I was chilling at home thinking about the next breaking bad episode. The pressure of the test really helped and I'm glad I did well but I do think that the guy with the patrick star is a little unhappy that he's not the only one with a 42 on SDN now. Sorry bud! Adcoms won't be factoring your AAMC average into consideration so its not like it matters.

Science scores are based on skill.

Verbal scores are arbitrary.

Once you cross 38 it all comes down to luck.

Besides, how did you only get a 14 in Bio? That's just embarrassing for someone claiming to be "it" since Bio has the most generous curve.

Calling you lucky isn't an insult. It's a compliment. Luck is in every 40+ score no matter if you admit it or not. So get real and quit being so uptight about things.

+1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not talking about solely on this thread. That's why i said "multiple occasions." Read more carefully?

EDIT: this is also in reference to gtlo, not just you

u-jelly-brah-300x300.jpg

Hey man honestly I don't want to take up too much of your time but I've been browsing these forums a lot lately and I was just wondering if being a negative douche bag comes naturally to you or if it's something you've developed over time. No disrespect, just genuinely curious!

Sounds like someone decided to see how far they could stick a stick up their ***.

Oh! The linear jerk begins!

"Lucky" is a useless judgement if you don't know more about the person.

Wrong on stats about scoring percentiles.

Wrong on knowledge about the test.

OP got most of his gains presumably from that jump in verbal, which is the most arbitrary section on the test.

Last edited:
I understand that there is some skepticism when a new poster comes on this thread while all of you have been a community since this thread was started and I post about getting a very good score. I don't think it was solely luck because I am a good test taker and my practice tests were taken while I was chilling at home thinking about the next breaking bad episode. The pressure of the test really helped and I'm glad I did well but I do think that the guy with the patrick star is a little unhappy that he's not the only one with a 42 on SDN now. Sorry bud! Adcoms won't be factoring your AAMC average into consideration so its not like it matters.

lol yeah it's not like there aren't two other moderators with 43's or anything :rolleyes:

inycepoo and Capone have basically summed up my thoughts on the matter.

Why is weightlifting even relevant to this discussion?

Since when did this thread get so derailed?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/do-you-even-lift

"Once you cross 38 it all comes down to luck."
"Luck is in every 40+ score no matter if you admit it or not."

This is funny because if someone had attributed GTLO's score to luck in the 8/16 thread, I'm sure you two would've pulled out the pitchforks. Both worked hard for their score and are equally deserving of it. End of story.

Last edited:

This is funny because if someone had attributed GTLO's score to luck in the 8/16 thread, I'm sure you two would've pulled out the pitchforks. Both worked hard for their score and are equally deserving of it. End of story.

good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png

Why is weightlifting even relevant to this discussion?

Since when did this thread get so derailed?

Misc humor....

Check your PM

Members don't see this ad :)

You are incorrect. GTLO is lucky in the sense that he got an MCAT exam that was very much like what he was used to in the practice AAMCs. I think he is mature and sensible enough about the MCAT to recognize this.

Luck is in every 40+ score whether the examinee wants to admit it or not.

The mistake you people keep on making is equating "luck" with undeserving, condescension, and the implication that the examinee we are talking about banked on luck. Luck is necessary for top-notch scores, but nowhere near sufficient. (Aren't science majors supposed to have a special knack for seeing these types of relationships? :rolleyes:) This is why I said and will keep on saying that y'all are way too uptight about the usage of these terms. It goes without saying that those scoring in the 40s worked hard. That is not the topic of our debate, and nor should it be. It is a stupid discussion to have, because we know they work hard. However, hard work with bad luck will get you scores 4-5 points below your AAMC average, which we know happens.

This is also why being called "lucky" is a compliment, and hardly ever an insult. Everyone needs luck. If you actually believe that luck does not play a large factor in standardized testing, all I can say that you are sadly misinformed, but you can believe what you want.

I consider environmental conditions, "adrenaline" leading to increased focus, and things of that sort all under the large, ambiguous umbrella of "luck." If the examinee has always done better under pressure and thus scores 5 points above his AAMC average, I consider him extremely lucky to have that trait, as the rest of population does not.

WRT the AAMC average thing, I guess what I am implicitly doing is judging how much "luck" factored into the score. This is obviously something that cannot be done quantitatively, and nor is there a clear-cut right or wrong answer, either. If that's what pisses you off, then is is understandable. For me, someone who scored at their average didn't have as big a factor of luck going into their score (i.e., all conditions and everything else was normal), but someone who scores 5 above average (which remarkable, ICYDK how I actually see that phenomenon beneath all the uptightness and assumptions ITT) had a lot of things different during their exam, which again, I define as luck, since the examinee had little control over those factors.

Do you finally get it now?

Last edited:
To summarize this thread:

People with low scores *****ing about how 40+ scores are based on "skill".

People with high scores actually acknowledging how much luck is built into our scores.

To summarize this thread:

People with low scores *****ing about how 40+ scores are based on "skill".

People with high scores actually acknowledging how much luck is built into our scores.

Minus neurotroph, because I'm sure he would pull out the pitchforks if we attributed his score (38 for those who don't know) to luck. :hungover:

Minus neurotroph, because I'm sure he would pull out the pitchforks if we attributed his score (38 for those who don't know) to luck. :hungover:

Considering how we've established pretty well on these forums just how arbitrary VR is :p

In any case, I enjoy a good fight. This flame war is getting fun!

EDIT: Just saw his scores on the 30+ thread. 11PS does not imply skill nor "hard work". And a 13 VR is just plain lucky. And this is coming from someone who scored a 780 on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT.

Considering how we've established pretty well on these forums just how arbitrary VR is :p

In any case, I enjoy a good fight. This flame war is getting fun!

EDIT: Just saw his scores on the 30+ thread. 11PS does not imply skill nor "hard work". And a 13 VR is just plain lucky. And this is coming from someone who scored a 780 on the Critical Reading portion of the SAT.

Agree on VR. Agree on skill, as an 11 on PS ain't amazing. Disagree on hard work. We can't assign our own judgments on that. It is why you will never catch me dead commenting on someone's "hard work."

Agree on VR. Agree on skill, as an 11 on PS ain't amazing. Disagree on hard work. We can't assign our own judgments on that. It is why you will never catch me dead commenting on someone's "hard work."

Touche.

Also note that neutrotroph's practice average was 4 below his actual MCAT score.

Uh, you prissy much? Getting +5 over one's AAMC average is extremely lucky, whether or not you or OP wants to admit it.

Or are you just mad you only scored your AAMC average? (Like the majority of people do.) If so, welcome to the club and stfu about douche bags because you're the only one around in these recent posts ITT.

Firstly, I would like to say that I find it highly amusing that one little comment can derail a thread this much. Secondly, if you read between the lines a little bit, you would realize that I am not commenting on the exact words gtlo said. I am commenting on his tone. It doesn't take a genius to interpret the personality of a person by examining the way he says things on these forums. Do I think gtlo is a bad person? Of course not. I just don't think he realizes the way he says things comes off as really douchey. And you know, I think I have an obligation to help out a fellow pre-med if I can. If I came off as douchey and didn't know it, I would want someone to tell me. But maybe that's just me.

Firstly, I would like to say that I find it highly amusing that one little comment can derail a thread this much. Secondly, if you read between the lines a little bit, you would realize that I am not commenting on the exact words gtlo said. I am commenting on his tone. It doesn't take a genius to interpret the personality of a person by examining the way he says things on these forums. Do I think gtlo is a bad person? Of course not. I just don't think he realizes the way he says things comes off as really douchey. And you know, I think I have an obligation to help out a fellow pre-med if I can. If I came off as douchey and didn't know it, I would want someone to tell me. But maybe that's just me.

lol yes it does. Internet representations are not the best judgments you can have of a person. :laugh::laugh::laugh: