The Official 8/20/2010 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SapphireBlue919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just rescheduled to this test date from the 5/22! To ensure that it doesn't happen again, I decided to start this thread fairly early!

Fellow 8/20 Testers UNITE! WOOT WOOT!

Members don't see this ad.

In response to people asking for scores:

4/17/2010: PS 8 VR 8 BS 10 - 26Q
8/20/2010: PS 14 VR 10 BS 10 - 34O

Can you tell which section I studied for the most?

I am very happy with this, and I hope some med schools will show me a little love in the next few weeks/months!!! :)

Sorry to quote myself (strikes me as a bit egotistical, but I swear that's not my intent), but I wanted to point out just how much my AAMC practice test scores were indicative of my overall score. AAMCs (the ones I took during the summer, not the ones I originally took): 30 on 3, 36 on 4, 35 on 7, 33 on 9.

The mean of these scores is a 33.5, and the median is a 34. I pretty much hit both of these on the real thing, so the predictive power of the AAMCs should never be underestimated! :thumbup:

Is it possible to obtain a copy of your exam to see what you got wrong and prepare for another one?

Aww dangit, I have a 10 in verbal....do you think a writing score of S may help? Is it like an absolute strict cutoff? Or will they consider GPA and other things in the selection for interview stage?

Regardless, I'm probably not gonna retake a 35S, Western isn't my top choice, though it'd be nice to know it would be worth it to even apply.

Btw.. I see your name is McGill, do you know the requirements for McGill?

i feel ya, i have a 10 in verbal too. im not sure about western's strictness - i know their website says 11 is the verbal cutoff, but your overall score is pretty impressive so that might help. as of this year, mcgill no longer requires the MCAT :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to obtain a copy of your exam to see what you got wrong and prepare for another one?

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

We all WISH!!! Yeah right if the AAMC ever gives access to your real raw score to you or a score report analysis of such whether it be mcat, any of the steps for USMLE, or Board certification exams. The truth is they reuse passages and questions later down the road, do research with it creating experimental passages, etc. And they don't want to share this knowledge with the public. So why would they give such?

Everyone would be happy if they did. But yeah right. keep dreaming. :laugh:

PS not trying to sound cocky and mean. Just saying. We all wish we could but sadly never will be the case. Though I've always been able to figure out what was weak and not weak for me from personal experience.

I'm reading some people saying that 11 is the cut off for VR. I got a 10. Would that deter me from getting into top 10 if my total score were 36S?

I'm reading some people saying that 11 is the cut off for VR. I got a 10. Would that deter me from getting into top 10 if my total score were 36S?

Your score is at/above the median matriculant score for the "top" 10. What will deter you from getting into those schools is that they accept very few students, and those that they do have great "other" stuff. Your MCAT won't be why you likely don't get in (to a top 10).

No. If you don't get in a top 10 school it will be for other factors but not due to your MCAT. your MCAT with a high GPA and decent ECs will get you some interviews at top 10 or top 20 schools, but getting in will require standing out above the crowd.

Good luck. Oh and double digits in everything is always good.

My friends had a 10 in a section and 14 and 12 or 14 and 11 or stuff like that in other sections. Never hurt them. So I'm sure it won't hurt you.

Good luck.

So I pretty much bombed the writing section and I am really nervous that some medical schools will screen me out before they read the rest of my application. My scores are:

VR = 10
PS = 11
BS = 12
WS = N
Total = 33N

I really don't want to retake the MCAT just because of my writing score. So is there anything I can do to make it up (i.e. write an awesome personal statement)? How worried should I be if I'm only applying to U.S. schools? Should I be concerned that all of the good schools (my reach schools) seem to have a lowest score of O according to MSAR 2011-2012?

rg, read back to my posts on 17 and 18 and the responses. I was pretty worried about my score at first, too, but I think with a solid application they won't look twice at your N. Even if they did they'd give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain in an interview. Bottom line, I don't think you're getting rejected anywhere (outside of Canada, which is decidedly different) just because of an N. Also, not sure which MSAR table you checked, but a few of the ones I found said that an N was 25th percentile for matriculants... meaning a quarter of the guys who get in have an N or worse, which indicates to me that there is hardly any correlation between acceptances and writing scores.

Thanks for your response vivalavie; it was very comforting. I just caught up with the posts since page 17 and they were also very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response vivalavie; it was very comforting. I just caught up with the posts since page 17 and they were also very helpful.

Like I said before, if you are in the US it isn't going to hurt you. I know years ago a friend had the exact same score as you with exact same writing. Didn't affect him too much in getting interviews or acceptances.

If you don't get in, it will be for any other number of reasons other then your writing score. Well unless you are canadian where some schools ahve a strict cutoff system.

Good luck.

rg, read back to my posts on 17 and 18 and the responses. I was pretty worried about my score at first, too, but I think with a solid application they won't look twice at your N. Even if they did they'd give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain in an interview. Bottom line, I don't think you're getting rejected anywhere (outside of Canada, which is decidedly different) just because of an N. Also, not sure which MSAR table you checked, but a few of the ones I found said that an N was 25th percentile for matriculants... meaning a quarter of the guys who get in have an N or worse, which indicates to me that there is hardly any correlation between acceptances and writing scores.

Exactly. And since those lower writing scores typically correlate with lower-scoring acceptees (please don't take that the wrong way), both of you are specifically in great shape with your lower WS scores, and great numerical scores. Neither of you has anything to worry about, unless your PS, secondaries and interviews fill in a narrative about you being a poor communicator, which I don't think you are.

Exactly. And since those lower writing scores typically correlate with lower-scoring acceptees (please don't take that the wrong way), both of you are specifically in great shape with your lower WS scores, and great numerical scores. Neither of you has anything to worry about, unless your PS, secondaries and interviews fill in a narrative about you being a poor communicator, which I don't think you are.

Exactly. I agree with this 100%.

In the US the numerical scores are for more important. I got an S on writing this time but I'd rather have that 33 then my S in writing because that numerical score is what is more important.

You all will have no problem. Just do as Pons suggested and make sure your app essays are strong. :)

I really don't want to retake the MCAT just because of my writing score. So is there anything I can do to make it up (i.e. write an awesome personal statement)? How worried should I be if I'm only applying to U.S. schools? Should I be concerned that all of the good schools (my reach schools) seem to have a lowest score of O according to MSAR 2011-2012?

One US adcom member laughed when I asked her about WS scores. She said that she doesn't even notice them unless they're a J or K.

...That's why I think that poster Primrose would be an idiot if he/she retook his/her 37 mcat partially due to an O WS score. :confused:

One US adcom member laughed when I asked her about WS scores. She said that she doesn't even notice them unless they're a J or K.

...That's why I think that poster Primrose would be an idiot if he/she retook his/her 37 mcat partially due to an O WS score. :confused:

Yeah I think Pons made a point that the probable reason the lowest writing was whatever it was in the MSAR for a given school was cuz people who are better scoring will most likely be better scoring overall. But no one ever got hurt by an M, N, O, etc. with a high numerical score.

Thanks for the reassurance :)
I have no desire to become an idiot. But the verbal scores of my other asian friends who got accepted to top schools were a little higher than mine (hope they are not lying) and that gives me a reason to question my score. Anyway, thanks for your response and hopefully everything works out in favor for everyone here.

Thanks for the reassurance :)
I have no desire to become an idiot. But the verbal scores of my other asian friends who got accepted to top schools were a little higher than mine (hope they are not lying) and that gives me a reason to question my score. Anyway, thanks for your response and hopefully everything works out in favor for everyone here.

Don't compare yourself to your friends. Worry about your own apps. Do the best you can do to strengthen your own apps and be thankful to whatever god or belief you believe in that you did very well. Worry about what you can change. If your research is weak, do some research experiences. If your volunteerism is weak, work on that. Work on what other things you can control and change and make stronger. work on making essays strong and getting strong letters of recommendation and bringing attn to your stronger points. That is what will help you getting in the dream schools.

Don't compare yourself to your friends. Worry about your own apps. Do the best you can do to strengthen your own apps and be thankful to whatever god or belief you believe in that you did very well. Worry about what you can change. If your research is weak, do some research experiences. If your volunteerism is weak, work on that. Work on what other things you can control and change and make stronger. work on making essays strong and getting strong letters of recommendation and bringing attn to your stronger points. That is what will help you getting in the dream schools.

Gujudoc I just want to say that you are awesome. You answer a lot of people's questions are you are always positive.:) are you in med school yet?

Hey everyone. I thought some of you may be interested to know that an error was made in the scoring of my exam. My score was reported as 19J. The “J” of course was the red flag which lead me to investigate the possibility of an error. Apparently, a J signifies that both of my essays were either blank, or completely unreadable, with the latter typical of people just learning English. Clearly, neither of these apply. I wrote two well developed essays and had time to proofread them both.

As for the 19, there is no way for me to prove an error has been made. Given that my scores on the practice exams ranged from 26 to 32, and that there is a mistake on one section of my exam for sure, I find it extremely unlikely that it was an isolated mistake and that I actually scored a 19.

Additionally, another member “Ariez” posted his complaint in this thread and it just so happens he took the exam at the exact time and place as I did. Anyway, I am trying to get the issue resolved and will hopefully know more on Monday.

Hey everyone. I thought some of you may be interested to know that an error was made in the scoring of my exam. My score was reported as 19J. The “J” of course was the red flag which lead me to investigate the possibility of an error. Apparently, a J signifies that both of my essays were either blank, or completely unreadable, with the latter typical of people just learning English. Clearly, neither of these apply. I wrote two well developed essays and had time to proofread them both.

As for the 19, there is no way for me to prove an error has been made. Given that my scores on the practice exams ranged from 26 to 32, and that there is a mistake on one section of my exam for sure, I find it extremely unlikely that it was an isolated mistake and that I actually scored a 19.

Additionally, another member “Ariez” posted his complaint in this thread and it just so happens he took the exam at the exact time and place as I did. Anyway, I am trying to get the issue resolved and will hopefully know more on Monday.

i would be very very interested i knowing...
i too scored 7 points lower than my average and really suspect a mistake

not to sound negative and through hard work a person can go higher. But to be honest an error rarely occurs. Sometimes people just get nervous and freak out or other things happen that cause a person to do bad that day. what your averages tell me is that upon a retake you may do closer to your average but that you might have had a bad day that day.

Did you follow the instructions explicity as it said to do so and do the 3 tasks asked with not too much bad grammar? I mean you can get the regrade though it costs a lot of money but be warned it may not necessarily improve your MCAT score. However, upon a retake and hardcore analysis of what may have gone wrong you can improve if you pour your soul into it, provided you've at least done the prereqs and not taken this test prematurely without learning the material.

I got an A in all four prerequisite subjects as well as an A in advanced organic. Both of my essays were well developed and addressed all of the instructions. I didn't get a J, lol. I'm not planning on simply submitting a re-score. I want to get to the bottom of the mistake.

I got an A in all four prerequisite subjects as well as an A in advanced organic. Both of my essays were well developed and addressed all of the instructions. I didn't get a J, lol. I'm not planning on simply submitting a re-score. I want to get to the bottom of the mistake.

Hmm I don't know. Then. But the only way to get it changed is a rescore I tend to think. I don't know how much help they will be. but i wish you luck.

That is really odd that this happened.

But still may not be a mistake regardless because truth is sometimes nerves or other things do cause smart people to get low scores. Just be prepared that they may tell you such. i've known people I consider many times smarter then me to do worse then I did on mcat and it was always weird cuz they were clearly smarter then me. But the test messed them up. but one got in a US school through doing SMP and the other did island schools. They'll both make it though.

If it doesn't change then I wish you luck on a retake. If it is a mistake, I'm sorry to hear. Good luck either way.

Hmm I don't know. Then. But the only way to get it changed is a rescore I tend to think. I don't know how much help they will be. but i wish you luck.

That is really odd that this happened.

But still may not be a mistake regardless because truth is sometimes nerves or other things do cause smart people to get low scores. Just be prepared that they may tell you such. i've known people I consider many times smarter then me to do worse then I did on mcat and it was always weird cuz they were clearly smarter then me. But the test messed them up. but one got in a US school through doing SMP and the other did island schools. They'll both make it though.

If it doesn't change then I wish you luck on a retake. If it is a mistake, I'm sorry to hear. Good luck either way.
are you in med school? Your posts are great. Just curious to know your stats. thanks

are you in med school? Your posts are great. Just curious to know your stats. thanks

Applying now. Did an SMP this past year because I didn't get in my first time applying. Hopefully this year will be fruitful. But since I did an SMP I've taken half the BU medical school year 1 curriculum.

hi sry im late on posting scores...buttttt heres some hope for 2nd time test takers

aug 21st 2009- 9,8,9-26Q
aug 20th 2010- 12,9,10- 31P

writing scores w/e but im finally over 30...my prac ranged from 27 to 32...so AAMC tests were a good predictor for sure....im a bit scared cuz im on borderline competative score but i kno i put in the most i cud into this exam, so im content.

bio kicked my ass clearly, but w/e f_ck u genetics lol and verbal was a clear hit or miss...but u kno wht the best part is..after the mcat...i never have to take verbal sections on any medical related tests ever again! woooo

gluck to every1 applying this cycle! :thumbup:

ps: green light (feat andre 3000)-- John legend :smuggrin: :soexcited:

Hi Mopped, I fully support you! Please let us know what happens. This may give more people the courage to speak out, rather than flog themselves, when their own score disappoints. And if it turns out that you are right and they are wrong, AAMC better refund your test and rescore fees.

hi sry im late on posting scores...buttttt heres some hope for 2nd time test takers

aug 21st 2009- 9,8,9-26Q
aug 20th 2010- 12,9,10- 31P

writing scores w/e but im finally over 30...my prac ranged from 27 to 32...so AAMC tests were a good predictor for sure....im a bit scared cuz im on borderline competative score but i kno i put in the most i cud into this exam, so im content.

bio kicked my ass clearly, but w/e f_ck u genetics lol and verbal was a clear hit or miss...but u kno wht the best part is..after the mcat...i never have to take verbal sections on any medical related tests ever again! woooo

gluck to every1 applying this cycle! :thumbup:

ps: green light (feat andre 3000)-- John legend :smuggrin: :soexcited:

LOL and YAY to the part about best part meaning you'll never have to take such again. :D :D

Sorry for the late reply everyone, I wrote on 8/20 and scored 32R - 11/11/R/10 (PS/VR/WS/BS) so I'm ecstatic. I'm a Canadian, so the VR score and WS score are great news:D

I also apologize for the late reply --- the past week has been such a blur to me!

Anyways, got a balanced 37S, which is right around my AAMC average. I was hoping for a little higher based on my later AAMC scores but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless.

I'm kind of surprised though that nobody who broke a 38 has posted yet. This administration definitely seemed like a tough one.

SilverFalcon, Parth, where are you guys?!?!?

I also apologize for the late reply --- the past week has been such a blur to me!

Anyways, got a balanced 37S, which is right around my AAMC average. I was hoping for a little higher based on my later AAMC scores but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless.

I'm kind of surprised though that nobody who broke a 38 has posted yet. This administration definitely seemed like a tough one.

SilverFalcon, Parth, where are you guys?!?!?

26P here, I have no clue what the eff happened.

I was depressed about it for a few days after i got it, but in retrospect..its whatever, I'm applying D.O. and Caribbean, either way I'm going to come out a physician. <-- a bit philosophical, i know, but oh well :rolleyes:.

I wish the best of luck to all of you guys, do not let a 4.5 hour exam deter you from your goals.

Rock on :horns:

I was depressed about it for a few days after i got it, but in retrospect..its whatever, I'm applying D.O. and Caribbean, either way I'm going to come out a physician. <-- a bit philosophical, i know, but oh well :rolleyes:.

I wish the best of luck to all of you guys, do not let a 4.5 hour exam deter you from your goals.

I sincerely wish you all the best in whatever course you choose! :luck::luck::luck:

sorry to hear that bro. since your AAMC avg was significantly higher, consider a retake before resigning to other programs?

So I'm guessing most of you guys are applying for this coming year, how do you feel about the lateness in the application cycle?

I fired out my secondaries as soon as they came, but one of my letter writers is dragging his feet and really annoying me (he's my college academic adviser, I asked him for a letter in June and he said absolutely and now he won't answer my calls or respond to my emails). How much is this timing issue gonna affect our chances? I'd love some good, hopeful anecdotal evidence that we're not gonna have to do this whole thing over again next year!

I'm so upset.

PS - 7
VR - 8
BS - 9

I averaged around a 29 on all the AAMC tests :(

I got the same score but PS-7 VR-9 BS-8 writing sample Q.
I have no idea what to do. Are you going to apply to DO schools or take a year off and reapply next year!?

I got the same score but PS-7 VR-9 BS-8 writing sample Q.
I have no idea what to do. Are you going to apply to DO schools or take a year off and reapply next year!?

If you don't mind DO you can apply such. otherwise i'd retake. I am living proof that it is possible to increase if you really put your all into it. and since your 7 and 9 were in sciences if you can maintain the verbal at 8 or 9 and work on sciences you can bring it up.

First, I'd recommend using EK and TPR combination. Secondly, if you could study some advanced level in molecular biology and physiology that would help you. Taking grad classes helped me with such as did EK and TPR. Thirdly, for physical sci what helped me was EK 1001 books and EK review books in combo with TPR review books and science workbook.

I was able to bring up my score from 24 to 29 in the past so its possible. Maybe it isn't 35+ but 28 or 29 is enough for MD schools. So I'd try to aim for such at the least and assess what is causing you to go lower i.e. anxiety vs. non understanding of material and go from there. Do lots of practice tests too.

Hey all,
So I was wondering how my fellow MCATers are faring out there. I had a bit of trouble with one of my letters of rec (writer sent it in to the wrong place, took three weeks to answer my calls, then forgot to sign it when he submitted it to the right place) but that's all finally done.

I just got interviews invitations from SUNY downstate and Feinberg at Northwestern and I'm pretty excited. First interview is November 7th!

Hey all,
So I was wondering how my fellow MCATers are faring out there. I had a bit of trouble with one of my letters of rec (writer sent it in to the wrong place, took three weeks to answer my calls, then forgot to sign it when he submitted it to the right place) but that's all finally done.

I just got interviews invitations from SUNY downstate and Feinberg at Northwestern and I'm pretty excited. First interview is November 7th!

Wow congrats. I took the test a week before you but still yet to hear back from places. Congratulations. Both are wonderful schools. I have a friend in residency in Northwestern and another friend who went up there for a month for external rotations, probably consideringthe place for residency. That's really exciting. And downstate too, although not ranked ultra highly it has awesome clinical experiences with 21 different hospitals and its premiere location in brooklyn and nyc. So congrats on both. Hope you get into both as well.

Hey all,

Glad to see another 8/20'er doing well! I've been fortunate enough to receive two interviews: University of Chicago and Drexel MD/PhD. Haven't heard back from anywhere else yet (applied to 15). My MCAT score from 8/20 certainly helped get me these two interviews, so I'm glad I retook it! :)

:luck: to everyone else who's applied this cycle!

Seems like a few people are getting a pretty good turn around for interview invites considering our applications were on hold until receipt of MCAT scores a little late in the game.

So far I have one interview invite to USUHS and I was screened in to Wake Forest for a secondary. I am hoping to hear back from other schools with good news shortly.

Hey guys! This is for anyone who successfully re-took the MCAT. I took the 8/20 exam and am registered for the March 2011 exam. I used Kaplan's official program and supplemented with Examkrackers for my August exam and got a 29Q. My practice scores were never awesome (about a 31) but I never really saw improvement throughout Kaplan (within a month of reviewing material, I was getting 30s/31s). So I know I haven't reached my potential and I was wondering if successful re-takers could tell me how they studied differently, if they emphasized content more or taking lots of practices, or doing lots of questions from the backs of these books, etc.
i REALLY appreciate it.
And good luck to all of you in this app cycle :)

Hey guys! This is for anyone who successfully re-took the MCAT. I took the 8/20 exam and am registered for the March 2011 exam. I used Kaplan's official program and supplemented with Examkrackers for my August exam and got a 29Q. My practice scores were never awesome (about a 31) but I never really saw improvement throughout Kaplan (within a month of reviewing material, I was getting 30s/31s). So I know I haven't reached my potential and I was wondering if successful re-takers could tell me how they studied differently, if they emphasized content more or taking lots of practices, or doing lots of questions from the backs of these books, etc.
i REALLY appreciate it.
And good luck to all of you in this app cycle :)

This isn't the best place for this question and it won't get looked at much I would imagine. Read through the Official Re-take Thread or do a retake search. Individual anecdotes of what worked for people who aren't you aren't going to be much help either. Why were you missing questions on your practice FL's? How much post-exam review were you doing? What practice FL's did you take and how were your score trends leading up to your actual exam? My snap impression is that you are looking for a magic bullet. There isn't one, other than what you planned and implemented the first time around obviously didn't work to your satisfaction. Why do you think that was? I would start there.

So this is kind of off-topic, but since I endured a whole summer with you guys, I figure might as well let you know. Watch for me on Jeopardy on Tuesday. :)

So this is kind of off-topic, but since I endured a whole summer with you guys, I figure might as well let you know. Watch for me on Jeopardy on Tuesday. :)

Will do... I've always wanted to be on Jeopardy. Some people have all the luck :rolleyes:

:luck::luck::luck:

whoaaaaaaaaaaa were you the kid at the end??? Like the indian looking one?? That's soooooooooooooo awesome. I saw today's jeopardy episode. WOW.