The Official 8/20/2010 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SapphireBlue919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just rescheduled to this test date from the 5/22! To ensure that it doesn't happen again, I decided to start this thread fairly early!

Fellow 8/20 Testers UNITE! WOOT WOOT!

Members don't see this ad.

10VR/9PS/9BS on 20 Aug 10

9VR/6PS/10BS on 21 Aug 09

While I am not thrilled about my score, I am reasonably satisfied that it is well rounded and while it won't stand up to a lot of scores on SDN, I think I will be competitive at some of the schools I applied to...

Thoughts?

I dont know how this is possible, but I got the lowest writing score and my score is 23J. I followed all the directions and averaging 31 on AMACAS, studied for 3 months, logged 400 hours onto this exam. I am literally speechless. Never had I imagined it could be this low.

At a Starbucks wifi right now since I ran out as soon as I got a text that the score are up, and now heading back to work.

Never felt this way in my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know how this is possible, but I got the lowest writing score and my score is 23J. I followed all the directions and averaging 31 on AMACAS, studied for 3 months, logged 400 hours onto this exam. I am literally speechless. Never had I imagined it could be this low.

Sometimes its not about the number of hours you study but HOW you study and the quality of that time you spent studying. Also, you might have been so stressed the day of that you didn't adequately demonstrate your ability. Whatever the case was, you can always rewrite - the world isn't going to end. Cheer up! :)

31Q
PS: 12
VR: 7 (did not improve from first time!!)
BS: 12

I point lower than my aamc averages. I'm okay with the overall score, but I may retake because of verbal!

31Q
PS: 12
VR: 7 (did not improve from first time!!)
BS: 12

I point lower than my aamc averages. I'm okay with the overall score, but I may retake because of verbal!
It would be better if your score was more rounded, yes, but a lot of schools look at MCAT's because of their strong correlation to USMLE Step 1. And PS and BS are the strongest indicators. Well it is too late to reapply this season so see where you get with your current application. I will still say congrats on your score!

32Q

PS: 11
VR: 11
BS: 10

Pretty much in line with immediate reactions, as well as AAMC average. I was hoping for some kind of miracle that would have made for a dazzling score, buy I'll take it, and I'm extremely happy I won't have to retake. Thanks to all you guys for your support, and best of luck to those still waiting or considering a rewrite! We can beat this!

Members don't see this ad :)
10VR/9PS/9BS on 20 Aug 10

9VR/6PS/10BS on 21 Aug 09

While I am not thrilled about my score, I am reasonably satisfied that it is well rounded and while it won't stand up to a lot of scores on SDN, I think I will be competitive at some of the schools I applied to...

Thoughts?

Dude you got a 28. That's good enough to get in somewhere if your GPA is ok. And at the schools that take a composite you have a 29. Be proud of a 4 point increase.

First time posting, but just got my scores:

PS 11, VR 12, BS 10 for an overall 33S

My AAMC scores were between 29 and 36, so fell right in the middle.

My personal experience with it, I left feeling terrible probably like many people immediately after the test, felt like PS was really difficult, VR I thought was fairly easy (normally my strong suit anyway) and BS I thought I totally bombed, was really really hoping just to not get below a 10. Over the last month I have gone from thinking-imagining I got a low 20s up to a 40, but to be honest I had no idea how I did. Anyway, I am happy with my score, it is good enough for me.

I hope everyone else is satisfied and happy with their scores!! This group helped me a ton right after the test to let me know everyone else was feeling the same way as me.

PS- 9
VR- 11
BS- 10
M

Dont know how I feel.. was averaging a 13 on PS but.. I dont think I've absorbed the info yet.

Dude you got a 28. That's good enough to get in somewhere if your GPA is ok. And at the schools that take a composite you have a 29. Be proud of a 4 point increase.
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's funny because I came out of the MCAT thinking I had done well on the PS (11+) and bombed the VR (7 or 8) and I was a bit apprehensive about my BS (worse than last time). While I was scoring around 30 most times on AAMC, I was not doing well on VR and given that I was short on time the last 2 passages on the actual MCAT and hurried through them, I felt it would not be good.

Overall, I am pleased with the score and it shows as positive improvement from last year. My GPA and EC's are good and as a non-trad applicant I have a unique application profile that should help. Congrats on your scores as well and good luck.

i'm reasonably satisfied with my score, especially considering i thought i did much worse!
30Q
VR 10
BS 10
PS 10
not my best performance, but decent!

In response to people asking for scores:

4/17/2010: PS 8 VR 8 BS 10 - 26Q
8/20/2010: PS 14 VR 10 BS 10 - 34O

Can you tell which section I studied for the most?

I am very happy with this, and I hope some med schools will show me a little love in the next few weeks/months!!! :)

Ahh! 37M, 11 VR 13 PS 13 BS. I'm so happy! This is a around how I thought I did, averaged around 35-36 on the practices but I always do better under pressure. Still a bit worried about the M... I'm a good writer but I kinda blew the section off because I heard it didn't matter, does anyone know if they look at that at all? It's such a weird disparity, I wrote damn good essays but I didn't follow their instructions to the letter and I think that's all they care about. Help?

Ahh! 37M, 11 VR 13 PS 13 BS. I'm so happy! This is a around how I thought I did, averaged around 35-36 on the practices but I always do better under pressure. Still a bit worried about the M... I'm a good writer but I kinda blew the section off because I heard it didn't matter, does anyone know if they look at that at all? It's such a weird disparity, I wrote damn good essays but I didn't follow their instructions to the letter and I think that's all they care about. Help?
Your VR is 11 and assuming your personal statements are not written in crayon and a language closely representing modern english, you should be ok...

Pons I'm a fiction writer, and I am quite capable of writing with proper grammar. Thanks for your concern, but try to be less of a prat in the future.

I made a prediction a few days after the test of a 27 R and I got a 27Q heh I guess I practiced so much that I knew what score to expect at the end of the test.

VR:8 PS:7 BS:12 Essay Q

Well I am not happy with the PS score!!! was scoring 12's on the AMMC tests and then I drop to a 7 its just not fair... oh well I am happy with the Bio and essay.

Is there any way to find out the average of the exam online?

Thanks esrever... so... ink? graphite? when did this no crayon policy start?
On top of PS I bombed the writing last year and when I interviewed the writing sample as well, while they expressed concern over my PS score, the writing sample wasn't even mentioned. Ink and graphite?!?!? Get with the program man! I did my personal statement with individual large font letters cut from periodicals. It was equal parts creepy and a masterpiece of the written word.

hey pons, did you get picked on a lot as a child? i wonder why you feel the need to be such a dick to people you don't even know.

Pons I'm a fiction writer, and I am quite capable of writing with proper grammar. Thanks for your concern, but try to be less of a prat in the future.

You say you knew what they were looking for; it's pretty plainly spelled out in the instructions accompanying each prompt. It's also discussed ad nauseaum on here and in any MCAT prep class. That you chose to ignore those instructions and still expected a good score says more about you than about me being a prat. But best of luck.

ian, you can check your percentiles on the THx site, just hit the "show percentiles" link above the scores.

Thanks esrever, that definitely puts my mind at ease. Also, you should get in anywhere you get an interview, you're hilarious.

honestly, douche, if you get past the interview stage, the system will have failed.
pathetic that you need to feed on other people's stress and anxiety to boost your self esteem.

Let's just be civil, really, I bear no grudge, good luck Pons, with your scores I'm sure you'll get into some good schools.

Let's just be civil, really, I bear no grudge, good luck Pons, with your scores I'm sure you'll get into some good schools.

I wasn't trying to be that snarky, but the writing section is as formulaic as it can get. Good writers are at a distinct disadvantage. I think you know that. Just trying to point that out. Sorry your new friends find me too "douche."

Pretty happy with my scores, wanted a 30 though, but it's close enough. :rolleyes:

PS 10
VR 10
BS 09 (thought I got an 11 or 12! wtf???)

29M

This should get me into Mercer and maybe MCG :nod:

I wasn't trying to be that snarky, but the writing section is as formulaic as it can get. Good writers are at a distinct disadvantage. I think you know that. Just trying to point that out. Sorry your new friends find me too "douche."
I apologize, I am not calling you a douche, I saw the Navy icon and I had to start in on you given your association with an inferior branch of the Department of Defense...

29O
9VR / 10PS / 10BS

Not horrible, but I was really hoping for a 30. I never got past a 29 on my AAMC practice tests though, so I guess it's not unexpected.

I did better on my verbal than I'd thought, but PS and BS aren't that high.

The essay sucks, but I couldn't finish explaining one throughly so I guess that's why.

I still might retake though. I really want a 30+ and I feel like I was unfamiliar with some of the topics on the MCAT I took.

so i need some advice... 3.85 Biochemistry, 29O, worked all through college as a medic and currently working as a medic in a peds ER.
i am terrified my mcat won't cut it. i feel like i have heard of so many people with good applications that didn't get in with much better scores.

So quick hypothetical:

Would you rather have a 29T or a 30M?

30M. Conventional wisdom is that 30 is somehow much more different from 29 than 31 is from 30. Go figure, but 30M gets my vote. WS scores would also only seem to truly affect applicants to Canadian schools who have cutoffs. U.S. programs are generally assumed not to care much about WS.