The Official 8/19/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNueve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Another 8/19 MCAT taker! Fall semester starts on 8/22 so it works out well for me. I'm finished with finals tomorrow (so naturally I'm on SDN right now instead of studying). I plan to start studying next Thursday (May 19), giving me exactly 3 months of studying.

Good luck studying everyone!

That's awesome! It's going to be hard to study in Germany, though! Good luck on your final. My brother will be flying to Europe tomorrow with his school. Kind of ironic!

I'm following SN2ed's schedule more or less. I have BR, TPR, Nova, and EK books so I'm also kind of looking over TPR while I do BR. I fully expect to fall behind since I work full time and still will have a full load of classes over the summer.

Wow that's intense! Best of luck to you!

kevlar917 said:
Another 8/19 MCAT taker! Fall semester starts on 8/22 so it works out well for me. I'm finished with finals tomorrow (so naturally I'm on SDN right now instead of studying). I plan to start studying next Thursday (May 19), giving me exactly 3 months of studying.

Nice welcome aboard! Good luck with your finals today!

Good luck studying everyone!

I'm planning on starting next Thursday as well! Will you be following SN2ed's schedule?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's intense! Best of luck to you!
day

It's been really hard to study with all the nice weather we've been getting...and with my kids keep trying to take my highlighters away and drooling all over my expensive books! I'm getting it done, though.

Can't wait for others to *officially* start the process. :)

Good luck with your finals today!

Thanks! They went pretty well... I think. Good news is they're done now :)

I'm planning on starting next Thursday as well! Will you be following SN2ed's schedule?

I only have the EK book set, but I plan on getting the EK 1001/101 books, and the BR books later down the road. So instead of using the exact schedule I'm going to make one that mimics SN2ed's schedule and meshes with my book-ordering schedule.

I fully expect to fall behind since I work full time and still will have a full load of classes over the summer.

I feel you StudyShy, I'm also trying to do SN2ED's study schedule while working full time. I just finished the first chapter of TBR Physics and am beginning to remember why physics drove me crazy when I took it originally! :scared:

Im a 8/18 at 1pm :)
Applying next cycle in 2012.

I start studying on the 23rd. Although the next week Ill be doing math prep, looking at the essay, and reading a speed reading book.

Im also following SN2ed's schedule. I dont have 96 days like he says, but the person who made the excel file on one of the first few pages of the thread had the exact amount of days that I have, so it works out. It just took out all the break days when reviewing FLs. I think it will work out well.

I haven't taken a diagnostic, it just doesn't make sense since I graduated biol undergrad a year ago, its been some years since I've visited some of this information.

So far my books have come to 450 (EK full set, TPRH full set, BR full set, 1001 EK full set).

If you are having trouble finding the TPRH books, I tried everywhere and finally decided to look on facebook marketplace. Every single person I contacted was willing to sell for lower than their asking (for the full set) and willing to ship. I got mine down to 125, why not have more materials than necessary for reference? Plus, now I have a full set to sell :D

I'll be there too! I'm actually coming back to college after a 2-year break, going into my junior year. Fall semester also starts on the 22nd for me, so I wanted to take it now instead of waiting so it doesn't interfere with my classes.

Also I'm glad to say the material is coming back to me quicker than I'd have expected! Hurray!

good luck all, i might take my MCAT again on this date as well. To those applying this cycle (fall 2012 matriculation) how did you guys weigh out retaking the MCAT in August and having a later application vs. not retaking the MCAT and sending everything in early June?

I'm checking craigslist and the like and I'm finding it difficult to find people who are willing to sell TPR Hpyperlearning Verbal Workbook alone and not in the entire set :thumbdown:

some guy was trying to sell me a PDF copy...i'm sure there is one floating around. i never though TBR would be floating around on the internet, but it is.

Finished my last final 2 hours ago :)
Planning on starting the study sesh on Sunday (maybe I'll start earlier)

MCAT countdown widget on my computer says 92 days and 19 hours until our test!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in for 8/19! I actually wanted the 8/23 date but that one was full at my school, and I don't really feel like driving somewhere else..

I'm signed up for 8/19. I am using SN2ed's guide but modifying it to include what I have (all ek stuff). Roughly how long are you guys studying per day?

I'm signed up for 8/19. I am using SN2ed's guide but modifying it to include what I have (all ek stuff). Roughly how long are you guys studying per day?

My goal is four hours a day.

Beginning SN2ed's schedule tomorrow. Hoping to have days that aren't too crazy but I'm ready for anything. Are any of you modifying SN2ed's schedule to make it a bit shorter? I'm about 9 days short of his 97 day schedule...

Thinking I might have to cut some break days or maybe forget some of the chapter re-read days.

Beginning SN2ed's schedule tomorrow. Hoping to have days that aren't too crazy but I'm ready for anything. Are any of you modifying SN2ed's schedule to make it a bit shorter? I'm about 9 days short of his 97 day schedule...

Thinking I might have to cut some break days or maybe forget some of the chapter re-read days.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8207447&postcount=72

this poster in SN2ed's thread adapted his schedule and it turned out it fit my needs perfectly. He took out the break days for the FLs. I think it should fit what you need as well.

I start tomorrow as well!

Super nervous about physics. I think physics days will be LONG. All other days Im assuming 4-6 hours, but physics Im hoping I dont die in the library trying to understand what is going on.

Super nervous about physics. I think physics days will be LONG. All other days Im assuming 4-6 hours, but physics Im hoping I dont die in the library trying to understand what is going on.

Wow perfect study sched! Exactly the amount of days we need!

First day went well. Found out library is only open from 12-5 on sundays :)mad:)

The first day should end up being shorter than every other day right? Like tomorrow are we supposed to review everything we did today on top of doing Gchem?

Additionally, when I finally finished the first chapter of physics, I went ahead and did the three review passages it listed, then did every 1/3 for the "exam" afterward. Is that what you guys have been doing?

Yea, physics days are harder than others. The first section is the worst IMO. I think chem and bio are the easiest...and ochem..but physics is less fun.

I was following it as well and am a few days off. I figure that a modification to how I feel around test time will be the big difference.

Hey all,

Here's a question. I'm going to be on Day 3 of SN2ed's schedule tomorrow (so far so good). I doing the appropriate review over the previous day's material for the sciences, but I'm not sure how to do review for the verbal passages I've been doing.

Anyone have any advice on how to approach reviewing verbal passages?

Physics chapter 1 KILLED me. I think I studied for 11 hours today... gahh!

I found BR Physics to be confusing and poorly outlined, I really liked TPR Physics. Way better outlined, important thinks clearly marked and explained. I've been sampling from all three books (EK, TPR, and BR) for my notes, which made my day go on forever.

Then the practice questions didn't go too well. Although, I did great on discretes.

sad. I really hope gen chem goes better, it was one of my best subjects in undergrad.
already feeling a bit low. and tired.

Wow I thought ochem would be the shortest day so far but it definitely took me the longest :(

Understandable, especially after an 11 hour day. But think about all the time you're putting in with this schedule that you wouldn't had you not chosen to use SN2ed's schedule. No matter how you end up doing, it'll definitely be better than what you would have gotten :D

Physics chapter 1 KILLED me. I think I studied for 11 hours today... gahh!

I found BR Physics to be confusing and poorly outlined, I really liked TPR Physics. Way better outlined, important thinks clearly marked and explained. I've been sampling from all three books (EK, TPR, and BR) for my notes, which made my day go on forever.

Then the practice questions didn't go too well. Although, I did great on discretes.

sad. I really hope gen chem goes better, it was one of my best subjects in undergrad.

Don't worry. I'm feeling a bit owned too. Hang in there. :)

About to start Day 6 - from what I understand it's pretty brutal.

How's it going for everyone else? How far in are you?

Im signed up for the sept 10th test, but I am thinking of switching to this date. I am a re-taker, doing SN2ED Schedule this time around, I am supposed to be on day 27, but I am on day 25 (hope to catch up by skipping my break days).

Do you think where I am in the schedule, I will be okay for this test date? btw I took the PR class last summer and their material is great (especially Bio). I prefer TBR gen chem + physics, although I would recommend TPR for circuits/EM/Optics...it is very well written and easily my strongest subjects.

Physics was my weakest section, and I scored highest on the real deal on the PS so that just goes to show how well the TPR physical science book is written. I will periodically review that and supplement it with TBR.

One word of advice to future takers, DO NOT PUT OFF VERBAL. it is the reason I am retaking. I cannot emphasize how important this section is. The passages on the real deal were a paragraph or two longer, so plan your timing accordingly. Also, of all my friends who have matriculated into medical school this past year or scored well on the MCAT, nearly all of them had to re-take because of verbal so seriously spend time each and every day on doing passages and getting a verbal "feel"

Also, for sciences, focus on doing passages and really COMPREHENDING the science passages. The new MCATs sciences sections are almost like a verbal section of their own, because the science passages are longer/more detailed and they really test your ability to read and extrapolate on the fly, so small factoids and rote memorization will not cut it. This is true for both PS and BS, but ESPECIALLY BS. Give it all you have, because it is mentally and physically daunting having to study for a retake, so put your best effort forward regardless of how burnt out you are. Best wishes and goodluck to everyone. :luck:

I just got brutalized by some BR bio passages WOW
Prior to that I'd been doing pretty well with all of my passages, hopefully its due to something other factor like tiredness or being really hungry or something :p

How are you guys keeping track of your progress? I'm really tempted to take a full-length or something because I want to see where I'm at. Are any of you guys able to see how your scores pan-out? Because we're doing the passages in chunks its hard to then use BR's score converter and such.

Please let me know if you are going to switch out of the Aug 18 or 19th exam, in Manitoba. Thx

Last edited:
I just got brutalized by some BR bio passages WOW
Prior to that I'd been doing pretty well with all of my passages, hopefully its due to something other factor like tiredness or being really hungry or something :p

How are you guys keeping track of your progress? I'm really tempted to take a full-length or something because I want to see where I'm at. Are any of you guys able to see how your scores pan-out? Because we're doing the passages in chunks its hard to then use BR's score converter and such.

I feel the same way. The bio passages are insane. Ive only done a few and got handled. I think that they want you to struggle and learn the info while correcting your answers. I too thought about taking a FL but I think I'll wait till i finish reviewing. The verbal is whats really killing me. Im getting 7-9 on practice passages and I know I am on the brink of 12+.

I'm really behind atm. I hope to catch up last week and this week's work in 3 days...lol.

Good luck with that. You might stress yourself out just a little in the process...or a lot. Take a few more days, its not a race. Either way, you can modify the schedule later with break days and FLs.

Im getting 7-9 on practice passages and I know I am on the brink of 12+.

How do you know what your scores equate to? Are you doing a section's worth of passages over a few days then checking the score of all those together? Which passages are you doing?

I just got manhandled for the second day in a row on verbal :eek: Ugh at least it makes me want to keep studying!

How do you know what your scores equate to? Are you doing a section's worth of passages over a few days then checking the score of all those together? Which passages are you doing?

I just got manhandled for the second day in a row on verbal :eek: Ugh at least it makes me want to keep studying!

I meant on the verbal section. I have EK 101. As far as TBR goes, I thought about just adding the scores up from the passages and seeing how i did. But I do better on the second 2/3 than the first. Verbal is a sneaky little bastard. Another day down...almost.

Hey guys I'll be taking the MCAT on this date as well! I haven't started studying just yet, but have been trying to do a lot more reading as I hear it does help (maybe just wishful thinking). I am signed up to take The Berkeley Review in So. Cal starting the 13th of June and ending a week before the test.

Hey guys, count me in for this test date.

Can someone give me their insight on the biology portion of the SN2ed's schedule? I don't understand the passages in BR assigned with EK. First, there are 35 listed as opposed to the usual 10-12, so how many have you all been doing? Second, most of the passages don't really match up and are asking way more detailed questions than those covered in EK. Does this mean we should really be reading BR instead?

Hey guys, count me in for this test date.

Can someone give me their insight on the biology portion of the SN2ed's schedule? I don't understand the passages in BR assigned with EK. First, there are 35 listed as opposed to the usual 10-12, so how many have you all been doing? Second, most of the passages don't really match up and are asking way more detailed questions than those covered in EK. Does this mean we should really be reading BR instead?

Yeah Bio is a bit more frustrating than the other sections simply because it's a pain to get the passages straight.
What I've been doing is looking at which passages from BR line up with the EK lectures (in SN2ed's post) and pick 4 or 5 spread across the chapters listed, and do those.

It's annoying but it is what it is. That being said, I really like the EK bio material. I can't speak for their other sections but they have great illustrations and they get right to the point.

I also find that cracker character kind of amusing :)

Hey how are you guys feeling about that big day of every week?
I'm not completely sold on the the utility of re-reading every chapter--I'm not sure I'm getting a lot out of the hours spent re-reading.
How do you guys feel about these days? Have you been following the schedule faithfully?

Hey how are you guys feeling about that big day of every week?
I'm not completely sold on the the utility of re-reading every chapter--I'm not sure I'm getting a lot out of the hours spent re-reading.
How do you guys feel about these days? Have you been following the schedule faithfully?

I dont like it. I do the EK 1001 after reading the chapter and after taking the first 1/3. I plan on reading the chapters over when I finish the book. Then I'll try to go over areas I need practice with a month before the test. Reading 5 chapters and doing questions is too much.

I've kinda switched to EK for most of my content stuff. TBR is way to long and detailed for me. While I think it's great, it's just too much for me to get in, in a day. Some of those chapters are 50 pages long and it's taking me a whole day just to get through the chapter, let alone all the passages that I need to do as well. I'm basically doing EK for the material and TBR for the passages. We'll see...

hey guys! I'm taking it on 8/23, but I don't see a thread for that date so I guess I'll stay in here. :)

I'm planning on studying using a modified version of the Sn2ed schedule. Gonna work my ass off starting tomorrow morning.

hey guys! I'm taking it on 8/23, but I don't see a thread for that date so I guess I'll stay in here. :)

I'm planning on studying using a modified version of the Sn2ed schedule. Gonna work my ass off starting tomorrow morning.

Good luck! It may seem daunting at first, especially if you're trying to cram all of it in with a shorter amount of time allotted, but if you make sure to stick to the schedule it's not too bad!

And yes, 8/23ers are welcome here :D

Yes - I think there is. Both my kids took August tests last year and year previous and were accepted to US schools (daughter had 3 acceptances last year). I just signed up for 8/19. Almost halfway through the BR science books and one test left in EK 101 Verbal. I can see I need the most help in verbal...

Im signed up for the sept 10th test, but I am thinking of switching to this date. I am a re-taker, doing SN2ED Schedule this time around, I am supposed to be on day 27, but I am on day 25 (hope to catch up by skipping my break days).

Do you think where I am in the schedule, I will be okay for this test date? btw I took the PR class last summer and their material is great (especially Bio). I prefer TBR gen chem + physics, although I would recommend TPR for circuits/EM/Optics...it is very well written and easily my strongest subjects.

Physics was my weakest section, and I scored highest on the real deal on the PS so that just goes to show how well the TPR physical science book is written. I will periodically review that and supplement it with TBR.

One word of advice to future takers, DO NOT PUT OFF VERBAL. it is the reason I am retaking. I cannot emphasize how important this section is. The passages on the real deal were a paragraph or two longer, so plan your timing accordingly. Also, of all my friends who have matriculated into medical school this past year or scored well on the MCAT, nearly all of them had to re-take because of verbal so seriously spend time each and every day on doing passages and getting a verbal "feel"

Also, for sciences, focus on doing passages and really COMPREHENDING the science passages. The new MCATs sciences sections are almost like a verbal section of their own, because the science passages are longer/more detailed and they really test your ability to read and extrapolate on the fly, so small factoids and rote memorization will not cut it. This is true for both PS and BS, but ESPECIALLY BS. Give it all you have, because it is mentally and physically daunting having to study for a retake, so put your best effort forward regardless of how burnt out you are. Best wishes and goodluck to everyone. :luck:

Same here. I'll be retaking this day and the only reason is because of a low verbal score. I have been studying verbal like crazy (EK 101 and TPR verbal workbook) now to bring it up and I'm doing a lot better. Also, recommend study verbal as much as the sciences for those of you who didn't get 12's on your diagnostics. :)

My MCAT's scheduled for aug.18th. I'm a Canadian pre-med also applying to US schools for Sept2012.
I'm just wondering, if any of you guys are planning on ordering AAMC practice MCATs, which ones are more beneficial to order? (I don't want to order them all).
Also, I got EK verbal in May but i'm almost done it. I got a 6 on VR on my MCAT last year so serious improvement is my goal.. I've seen improvement based on my EK scores (8-9) but I've still got 2 months of studying. Just wondering what other verbal reasoning books are good to use?