The Official 8/19/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNueve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned one of the verbal passages. It was about predators and prey. Did everyone have this passage? I felt terrible about this passage, thinking it was really dense and hard to read, and then the questions were very vague. I couldn't eliminate any of the answers. Did any one else feel this way, or was it just an unlucky passage for me?

Strange.. I do not remember this passage at all.. wasn't something like this on EK 101 though?? I'm trying to jog my memory.....hmm. didn't have it.......I only remember 3 of the VR passages though... ONLY 3!!! It is so bizarre, I've been trying to remember the other 4 and wonder if I just blacked out during the test because I don't remember a thing from PS either, except maybe 2-3 questions.

Last edited:
i feel the same way :( certain things jog my memory and bring me back to mcat science problems that i've encountered over the last few months. other day i took a sip of water and started to think about the pathways involved. it feels wierd having no agenda.

overall, would we say the verbal was more of less equal to aamc practice tests? so i'd say a normal curve, nothing too extreme.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strange.. I do not remember this passage at all.. wasn't something like this on EK 101 though?? I'm trying to jog my memory.....hmm. didn't have it.......I only remember 3 of the VR passages though... ONLY 3!!! It is so bizarre, I've been trying to remember the other 4 and wonder if I just blacked out during the test because I don't remember a thing from PS either, except maybe 2-3 questions.

The MCAT uses jedi memory wipe powers at the end of every section ;)

The MCAT uses jedi memory wipe powers at the end of every section ;)

lol this is absolutely true. I can still remember my Biochemistry exam from 4 years ago but I can't remember more than 5% of the MCAT I took on the 12th. I don't know how that works lol.

lol this is absolutely true. I can still remember my Biochemistry exam from 4 years ago but I can't remember more than 5% of the MCAT I took on the 12th. I don't know how that works lol.

That is so true! The exam all feels like a blur!

That is so true! The exam all feels like a blur!

I think it is because we just hardcore force things into our short term memory for a short period of time (8 minutes per passage), and don't worry about it afterwards.

So effectively, I think we just write over that same plastic portion of our memory with the new information we encounter every passage. And at the end, it is all a blur. lol:D

at this time last week we were doing battle with the beast! uhh, puts a sick feeling in stomach!

3 weeks left. uh, how does one wait that long! i wish i was tremendously smart and didn't have to worry about scores!

I had the strangest MCAT nightmare last night.. so I was retaking the MCAT but it was only TWO days after the actual MCAT.. so I guess 08/21.. which still landed on a Friday.. only this time around it was horrendous... it was at a park in an old sketchy building. I was 5 minutes late and when I started my PS section had 45 minutes left.. the computer I was using was an old typewriter AND somehow I had my notes/scratch paper from my last MCAT with me and I was afraid they thought I was cheating so I quickly crumpled them up and threw them across the room... I also didn't sleep the night before and when I woke up (in the dream) the day of the MCAT, I kept thinking if I should even retake it before my score comes out..since I had to miss my first day of class so I could have been dropped from it.. then I kept asking the proctors if I would definitely be able to void the test... then I think the test ended up being WAY easier than the test we took... but I'm not sure what happened.. if I voided or anything.. ????? :scared:

I had the strangest MCAT nightmare last night.. so I was retaking the MCAT but it was only TWO days after the actual MCAT.. so I guess 08/21.. which still landed on a Friday.. only this time around it was horrendous... it was at a park in an old sketchy building. I was 5 minutes late and when I started my PS section had 45 minutes left.. the computer I was using was an old typewriter AND somehow I had my notes/scratch paper from my last MCAT with me and I was afraid they thought I was cheating so I quickly crumpled them up and threw them across the room... I also didn't sleep the night before and when I woke up (in the dream) the day of the MCAT, I kept thinking if I should even retake it before my score comes out..since I had to miss my first day of class so I could have been dropped from it.. then I kept asking the proctors if I would definitely be able to void the test... then I think the test ended up being WAY easier than the test we took... but I'm not sure what happened.. if I voided or anything.. ????? :scared:

Chill, brotha. :cool: This shouldn't be your #1 source of stress in your life right now. It's been over a week and it's hard for all of us, but cross that bridge when it comes (9/19).

I know... I am getting stressed too thinking about it!!

What will be the three numbers that define me as a pre-med?! hopefully 15/15/15 lol

Members don't see this ad :)

haha that's too much! an 18 day countdown timer would drive me insane.. i try not to think about it for at least 1-2 days and then think about it, and then try not to for 2-3 days.. it makes time go by much faster. sucks though.. i took a shower this morning before class and was obsessing so much about a BS question, i looked up the info online and just wasted 15 minutes sitting at my comp wondering if i marked the correct answer.

Sorry for the late post, I was banned for a while. Anyways....

I don't know about you guys, but I feel really cheated. I understand that they can change the test and make it statistically valid, but

a) I don't know about you guys, but I felt half the topics that were to be known weren't tested--especially in the sciences!

b) We paid 35 bucks a pop on those tests that everyone in the past who had similar tests took and prepared with. but instead, we were slammed with a new format without any kind of chance that it could be really different from AAMC 11 and the older ones.

Really chaps my butt.

2 weeks everyone!! 2 weeks!! in 2 weeks i'll be FREEEE of not knowing and then probably strapped back down to my mcat books... OR i can sell them.. i hope i can sell them and be done with it for good!:xf::laugh::smuggrin::luck::xf:

Only 11 days, 7 hours, 2 minutes, and 22 seconds till the day, thank you Doctor Quack for ruining the next 11 days, 7 hours, 2 minutes, and 22 seconds :laugh:

this question is for the 8/12/11 but applies here as well...
My question is whether or not anything shows up when yall log in to check the grades. I searched every where for any sign of the test, i know the grades are not out yet but is there anything posted with the 8/12/11 test date??? all i can see is my score from last year, and nothing else. this is worrying me because once after i finished the exam and I went to grab my things from my locker, i spoke with another student that was on break but was not finished with the test yet, and i just had a very bad dream that the inspectors saw me talking and voided my test!!!!!

this question is for the 8/12/11 but applies here as well...
My question is whether or not anything shows up when yall log in to check the grades. I searched every where for any sign of the test, i know the grades are not out yet but is there anything posted with the 8/12/11 test date??? all i can see is my score from last year, and nothing else. this is worrying me because once after i finished the exam and I went to grab my things from my locker, i spoke with another student that was on break but was not finished with the test yet, and i just had a very bad dream that the inspectors saw me talking and voided my test!!!!!

Calm down. If your test was voided, it will show in THx that it was voided. If it wasn't, you'll see nothing there except your old scores.

Is that pretty much standard acroos the board for MCAT score releases?

Warick22, you know I thought your avatar was a line graph... i stared at it for a while until i realized what it was... :rolleyes: i need to get some sleep!

Looks like the 8/19ers that all felt like they bombed got pretty good scores. Lots of people seem to have hit 33+.

Gives me hope!

memories from our test are starting to fizzle away :( now i'm getting really nervous about receiving the scores. does anyone feel like we'll receive a fair curve for this test? i found all sections to be moderately challenging

Did you take the exam 08/18 or 19 ?
after looking at the poeple on the thread of 08/12 its scary how many people scored below averge on the verbal.
in any case Follow 18 or 19 takers of the Mcat we are next so the countdown starts for us
Its scary i could remember every mistake i made on the exam and it is killing me inside bc i cannot change them
:(((((

memories from our test are starting to fizzle away :( now i'm getting really nervous about receiving the scores. does anyone feel like we'll receive a fair curve for this test? i found all sections to be moderately challenging

i took the 8/19 exam. luckily i'm not aware of any blatant mistakes i made lol but i'm sure i made a bunch. i'm still replaying those brutal passages in my head :( uh 6 days left. i have a feeling it will fly by now.

I actually feel your pain
iam at work but obesessing over the score i actually cannot stop thinking about it
i feel miserable
i just want know already

i took the 8/19 exam. luckily i'm not aware of any blatant mistakes i made lol but i'm sure i made a bunch. i'm still replaying those brutal passages in my head :( uh 6 days left. i have a feeling it will fly by now.

still remember leaving a few ps questions blank.... sigh. Personally, I don't care that much about the actual number, I JUST WANT TO KNOW! This is going to be a long few days....

still remember leaving a few ps questions blank.... sigh. Personally, I don't care that much about the actual number, I JUST WANT TO KNOW! This is going to be a long few days....

Yeah now that we're in the last week of waiting it's officially starting to bug me.

Yeah now that we're in the last week of waiting it's officially starting to bug me.

Same here. I have a countdown on my phone counting down to Tuesday. For a while my thought process was just "oh, there are still 2 weeks until scores come out. No need to worry." Now it's at 5 days, and I'm starting to get nervous.

Fortunately I don't remember more than 3 questions on the test. Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure I got 2 of them wrong.

Fortunately I don't remember more than 3 questions on the test. Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure I got 2 of them wrong.

Funny how that seems to happen. I don't remember any of the questions that I may have gotten right, but I remember vividly the questions that I'm sure I got wrong. Now I feel like I'm going to hit a solid 20. :scared:

weeeell, I am planning on crying on the 20th no matter what number i get. Hopefully they are tears of joy :]

Of the questions I remember and wrote down immediately after leaving the test, I got 4/4 PS wrong and 5/18 BS wrong. Could not remember the rest. I pray to God that was it..in terms of what I missed.. but I have a feeling that I will be retaking in the Spring. Prediction is 9/8/6 = 23M. Ugh.... OR ** just realized that I don't want to jinx things and end up with a 23... so MAYBE.. I got 33+ if I got really really lucky with all of my guessing!

Of the questions I remember and wrote down immediately after leaving the test, I got 4/4 PS wrong and 5/18 BS wrong. Could not remember the rest. I pray to God that was it..in terms of what I missed.. but I have a feeling that I will be retaking in the Spring. Prediction is 9/8/6 = 23M. Ugh.... OR ** just realized that I don't want to jinx things and end up with a 23... so MAYBE.. I got 33+ if I got really really lucky with all of my guessing!

None of my friends know anything about med school applications or the MCAT or anything, but when they asked me when I get my scores back, I said "5 days from now at 5 ET, but who's counting??" I told them around 45 minutes later, they'd either find me hanging from the bathroom ceiling, or yelling down the streets, depending on the outcome.

It's fascinating to me how I have spent the better part of 7 years working on my GPA, pounding away at test after test in subjects varying between Abnormal Psychology and Molecular Biology of Cancer. Yet concerning starting the rest of my career in medicine, the whole thing depends on a silly minimum score on just one 5 hour test.

Isn't that just silly?

In other news, I may or may not have called AAMC today and asked if I could get my MCAT score early. Denied. :oops:

It's fascinating to me how I have spent the better part of 7 years working on my GPA, pounding away at test after test in subjects varying between Abnormal Psychology and Molecular Biology of Cancer. Yet concerning starting the rest of my career in medicine, the whole thing depends on a silly minimum score on just one 5 hour test.

Isn't that just silly?

There's really not a set minimum for the MCAT to get into medical school. Just don't do abysmally. GPA, ECs, PS and interviews are major components in the admissions decision as well.

I guess you'll also be disappointed to know that your entire first two years of medical school will culminate in one silly 7 hour test which will determine the future of your medical career.