The Official 7/8/2010 MCAT club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else taking the MCAT this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Still have not checked mine. At work for four more hours!:scared:

lol Same here. I'm a nontraditional applicant (in my late 20's), and pretty darn level-headed overall, but not since I proposed have I been this nervous. My fiancé is a DPT and I think that in the few min she has between patients throughout the day, I've been driving her crazy via email by venting. :laugh:

I don't know how you folks at work can resist checking it. I would rather be depressed and angry all day than be anxious, antsy, and have the unknown score looming over my head.

I'm waiting because whether my score is good or bad, she has been my support system and I want her to be there when the results pop up on the screen :)

Yes but my last 3 were 31, 32 and 34 and a broken up 36 in which I didn't take consecutively. I was hoping atleast 33 considering I thought I did well on verbal. Maybe I'm delusional.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I mean you were right there with your practice tests and at least you didn't score you lowest practice test score.

The best advice I have for you is just to let it go. After my test I knew there were some that I got wrong, but I just let it go. I still got a 33S so a few questions you think you got wrong is not worth worrying about.

Thanks, I'm trying..this wait is almost as bad as the exam!! I just wish I had a more positive feeling. Seems most people feel so drained and beaten down at the end of the exam, that they feel they bombed it, yet in reality they know that must have done ok. I am wondering how many truly and honestly feel that they did poorly, but yet scored well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So DEPRESSED! I'm a retaker...got a 29R the first time and got the same exact score, except with a Q, this time. I feel completely screwed. This time, I took the Kaplan tests and I averaged 34. I seriously keep refreshing my page because the only two times I scored a 29 were on my actual mcats and my first diagnostic. boo hoo.

Finally got home from work and was able to check my scores.

First time taking it, managed to cram the studying into 3 weeks of straight-mcat all day studying right after my pharmacy board exams.

PS - 13
VR - 10
BS - 12
WS - Q

Total = 35Q

For reference my "impressions" after the exam are below. I definitely do NOT understand the score distribution as I thought PS and VR should be switched, but I'm VERY happy with my score overall.

My impressions:

PS
Practice Average Score = 10.5
I felt like I didn't do very well on this section. The chemistry was in line with practice exams but the physics simply focused on some concepts I wasn't as familiar with. Overall difficulty same as practice exams however. I'm hoping that I *always* feel like I did poorly on PS and then pull off an 11 or 12 so we'll see if that holds true.

VR
Practice Average Score = 11.5
This section also was the same difficulty as the AAMC exams. It seemed like the passages were a little longer then usual, but nothing out of the ordinary. Felt like I did really well on this section.

WS
Practice Average Essay Score = estimate ~3.5 to 4
I absolutely loved our prompts! There was no weird abstract ones and I could write a straight-forward essay. I didn't go "deep enough" for a 6 essay, but I definitely wrote them well enough that 5 isn't out of the question. Feel better then I thought I would about this section.

BS
Practice Average Score = 10
Not sure what I think about this section. I'm glad I had lots of time to review because I caught one really silly error! I felt like here was one orgo passage whch was ridiculously hard, and then another that was ridiculously easy (and I know very little about orgo). The biology wasn't paricularly tough and I felt ok about that. Not sure what to think here because with the curve it could go either way.

Overall impressions:
Pretty happy with my performance. Dissapointed in the specific physics concepts they asked about as some of my strengths weren't addressed at all and a weakness was hammered. Everything else I feel ok about. Not looking forward to the one month wait though!

First time posting here...I've been reading this page since several weeks before I wrote though. Pretty much every major concern I've had since writing was discussed at some point, including all of our screwy science passages.

37R
13VR, 12BS, 12PS

My distribution surprised me a lot, mainly since I did 3 points better than my median VR on AAMC and 1-2 points worse on both science sections. I think it was because I wrote it on like 4 hours sleep. Very pleased though.

Glad to hear so many of you did as well as you'd hoped, and to those who didn't I wish you luck on your next attempt. Remember to never give up:)

first time posting here for me as well... my first mcat as well!
35P - 11PS 12VR 12BS

I took kaplan and completed all their tests & completed all the practice aamc exams. Averaged 36-39 on the aamc exams, so this was sort of a dip but nevertheless I'm ecstatic:) Now back to writing secondaries..

Everyone here seemed to have killer verbal scores (most seemed to be +10, lots of 11s and 12s). And my sucky 9 verbal got bumped to a 10 this time around. And most ppl said that the verbal was comparatively easy post-mcat.

Interesting...

I didn't study enough, this is the first time I've gotten below the 99th percentile on a standardized test.
Dude, don't cry about it. I got a 1580 on the SAT and received the same score as you on the MCAT. The previous standardized tests mean absolutely nothing. Enjoy it btw- it's a good score.

I got a 28 O
PS:8 VR:10 BS:10
not bad I think ill just live with it, getting another few points raised by retaking it with paying more money and studying even more just doesnt seem worth it to raise it a few points, Im just applying in state to TX schools and to Un of Michigan and MI State.... along with a 3.7 GPA, 3.6 scGPA and being a disabled veteran I think I should get in somewhere....
what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
37Q

12 PS 13 V 12 BS

Higher than I ever dreamed.

This test is not a test of intelligence nor knowledge. I'm pretty dumb and knew very little material. 99% of the answers are in the passage. You just have to look for them.

Congratulations to everyone who scored well. Good luck to those taking it again in the future.

Hi 7/8ers! Congrats on all your great scores :)

I'm from the 7/16 club and I'm really really freaking out right now..

Just wondering....did any of you feel like you missed almost half of the PS section and end up scoring a 9+?

& How close were your predicted scores to your actual scores??

Thanks

Hi 7/8ers! Congrats on all your great scores :)

I'm from the 7/16 club and I'm really really freaking out right now..

Just wondering....did any of you feel like you missed almost half of the PS section and end up scoring a 9+?

& How close were your predicted scores to your actual scores??

Thanks

I came out of the exam feeling like I had probably made around a 28. I would have been happy with anything over a 25 and thrilled to make a 30+. Wound up making a 39 somehow. Since it was my first time taking the exam I guess I might have just psyched myself out about how I did, and not had a very clear head for predictions.

I did and got a 10, so it wasn't a completely stellar 9+, but I really was bracing myself for a 7 or something.

Have been going around today feeling ambivalent about my 30, since I feel I was better prepared than that. I was really, genuinely ill the day of the exam (and had vomited three times that morning alone -- keep in mind that this was an 8 AM administration. My body apparently didn't agree with the medication I started taking the night before). I have also been studying for 8/20 in the event I was forced to take it, but I really don't want to keep going through this hellish cycle of review and just want to move on with my life.

My biggest fear is that I'll regret not keeping up the slog these last few weeks if I don't end up getting in anywhere this cycle. But with all those secondaries I've put on hold to study, and engagements I've been postponing for months now, I think I'm just going to pick myself up and move on.

37Q

12 PS 13 V 12 BS

Higher than I ever dreamed.

This test is not a test of intelligence nor knowledge. I'm pretty dumb and knew very little material. 99% of the answers are in the passage. You just have to look for them.

Congratulations to everyone who scored well. Good luck to those taking it again in the future.

def true for verbal but other 2 having a good background knowledge is super important. i felt a lot of the questions could have been answered without reading the pasage

Here is your fanfare for the common man, 27Q

PS: 07 (ran out of time)
BS: 10
VR: 10
Writing: Q

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

p.s. just registered to retake 9/9/10,

Last edited:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

i'm an 8/20er just creepin on you guys, and the latter part of this reminds me of a freaking verbal passage. back to studying. congrats on being done you all!

Gah! :scared: After seeing all these super high scores, feeling pretty crappy about mine. I was feeling a 30, maybe 31 when I left the test.

A lowly 27Q is what I got. It was the first time I took it, but had been studying since January/took a Kaplan course. So frustrating, my stomach sank when I saw it online.

PS 9
VR 8 (?!? this has been 10-12 on practice exams. wth. )
BS 10

It seems like with all these high scores at the end of the cycle I'd have a very slim chance at acceptance. Thoughts on waiting and restudying for, say, March of 2011? And getting that 34 or 35? Also, thoughts on how people do by and large early in the year test dates (March, early April etc).

GPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.67

Now a college grad (May 2010, doing biomedical research) with great EC's.

Last edited:
Dude, don't cry about it. I got a 1580 on the SAT and received the same score as you on the MCAT. The previous standardized tests mean absolutely nothing. Enjoy it btw- it's a good score.

I got 1550, but my GPA is too low to be really competetive with this score. Too much time spent working, not enough spent on homework.

PS: 07 (ran out of time)
BS: 10
VR: 10
Writing: Q

p.s. just registered to retake 9/9/10,

Way to go man, Roosevelt's best quote! Here's to hoping that you really are the man in the arena... good luck on your retake :thumbup:

I think I am proof that anyone can improve their MCAT score. I went up 11 points from my first MCAT to second (22 to a 33) in a matter of months. So if anyone thinks that they cant do it anymore or cannot improve, just remember that studying hard and even a little confidence can go a long way!! I also strongly suggest mcat-prep.com with Dr. Ferdinand because that is what I used the second time around. Good luck to everyone retaking and congrats to those who are done with the beast. It's finally over!!:D

Last edited:
all these 35+ are making me feel bad about myself. =(

I know what you mean. But don't feel bad. If you think about it... SDN is full of overachievers. The average on the exam is usually a 25. Just think about how many people actually did worse than you... probably a lot :)

well, i just studied really hard for PS and got the same score, so im just disappointed. it was those stupid optics questions - my weakness!

but ironically, my verbal went up 3 points.... and i thought it was a terrible section.

yup.. those optics questions are what got me on PS too. the prism... omg. good job on improving 3 points on verbal though!! That's the section I couldn't improve on. And I studied sooo much for it.

yup.. those optics questions are what got me on PS too. the prism... omg. good job on improving 3 points on verbal though!! That's the section I couldn't improve on. And I studied sooo much for it.

yea i think our exam was a bit physics 2 heavy right? bleh.

So I took the 5/27/2010 exam and got:

32S
P: 12
V: 9
B: 11

I was let down, since my AAMC average was 37-38. I found out my score on June 29, and then signed up for the 7/8/2010 exam. I reviewed for 5-6 days and got:

36S
P: 13
V: 11
B: 12

So for anyone who is unhappy with their score, don't feel discouraged. Sometimes, the exam itself can make a huge difference in your score, since some people are stronger at certain subjects than other. 5-6 days of reviewing was NOT enough for me to boost my score 4 points, so the exam itself must have been the reason. If you spent 3+ months of studying for this exam, then my advice is to sign up for the next available date and hope for the best, especially considering the fact that most schools have rolling admissions.

take it again if you have solid prep. someone above posted a 5 pt improvement with only 5 days of studying.

I'm seriously in shock over the score I got. I know I didn't prepare the right way... and the morning of the test got in a fight with my dad AND stuck in construction but i feel that what I got can't be all because of a bad morning. I scored worse on the test than on ANY practice I took. I did 5 points worse than my first and worst practice test score. :( What the hell?

I'm rescheduled to take in August 19th.. Any advice? Is it too soon? I will NEVER get in with the score i got.. I feel so defeated. I have a 3.9 GPA and great ECs and doctor shadowings. I also know of a few people that will write me good LORs... but without an MCAT score it doesn't matter. Someoneeeeee help! Should I reschedule and try to study during the school year?

Just need encouragement because I'm rethinking every dream I've ever had.

I think you answered your own question...you had a bad morning/day and you didn't perform the way you KNOW you can (and how you've proven you can from previous practice tests). In every other way, you sound like a solid applicant. We all screw up sometimes, but it sounds like a fluke. Retest and prove to yourself what you already know. I believe in you!

Way to go man, Roosevelt's best quote! Here's to hoping that you really are the man in the arena... good luck on your retake :thumbup:

Thought I'd let you know

9/9/10 mcat was a :
PS 11 / VR 10 / Q / BS 10

Thanks for the support, now I know victory and defeat ;)