The Official 7/06/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm taking the exam this date because I am NOT a morning person lol.

How's everyone's practicing going? I'm using the SDNed schedule and I think it's getting the job done. I'm on the second set of chapters and I'm feeling confident.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

First time MCAT-taker, 32Q. Ugh, completely on the fence as to whether I should I take it again....I am fully aware that a 32 is good, but its definitely not great...Thoughts? I mean, everyone seems to improve by at least 2-3 points the next time around.

Depends on what your practice scores were. If you have no problem throwing away another 200-whatever dollars + 2-3 months of your time to the MCAT monster, by all means, go ahead.

I bumped my score up 3 points on my retake. Opinion: Given that I had a decent score to begin with ... probably not worth the time, stress, and effort. To each their own, though.

First time MCAT-taker, 32Q. Ugh, completely on the fence as to whether I should I take it again....I am fully aware that a 32 is good, but its definitely not great...Thoughts? I mean, everyone seems to improve by at least 2-3 points the next time around.

That's a bad assumption to base your decision to retake on.

Here's the real data:

:luck:

Pretty much have a miracle story. First time I took my MCATs got a 29. I took them again and dropped to a 28 last year...

For this one, I walked out of there thinking I did terrible in bio, semi okay in verbal, and owned physics (was expecting a 10 bio, 8 verb, 13-14 phys).

Ended up with a 15 bio, 14 phys, 10 verb. I have no clue how I got it. I am 100% sure that I semi-guessed on 12 questions on bio (as in I ruled it down to 2 and took what I believed was the best answer).

:eek: Nice! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to jump off of a building.

PS- 7!!!! VR-10 BS- 9

I feel so disappointed/discouraged. My AAMC average from 7 tests was a 32.3. I DROPPED 6 POINTS. How does that happen? I feel sick to my stomach.

I totally feel the same way. I average about a 30-31 and got a 26. I want to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
PS 9, BS 9, VR 8 P

The joys of being mediocre all around.

I totally feel the same way. I average about a 30-31 and got a 26. I want to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
PS 9, BS 9, VR 8 P

Same here. It will all work out though! When are you all planning on retaking?

I got my scores.. I didnt get my average (34) but Im still happy. I am just a little worried about the 8 in VR. I came to the US, 3 years ago so English is my second language. I have a 4.00 cGPA and a 3.98 overall. 80ish shadowing hours, 200+ hours of community service, one year of research, tutoring experience, leadership experience as well. My top choices are Einstein and Northwestern..

what do you guys think??

I got my scores.. I didnt get my average (34) but Im still happy. I am just a little worried about the 8 in VR. I came to the US, 3 years ago so English is my second language. I have a 4.00 cGPA and a 3.98 overall. 80ish shadowing hours, 200+ hours of community service, one year of research, tutoring experience, leadership experience as well. My top choices are Einstein and Northwestern..

what do you guys think??

I think that since you came here 3 years ago an 8 give you some leeway, you see a ton of native born people getting 8 and lower in verbal. Assuming you got above a 30, you should get in somewhere. Your top choices are within reach but might be a bit of a stretch depending on the Mcat. Congrats on the awesome gpa and good luck!

So, I pretty much bombed the sciences on this test. Did a 11 on verbal and a S on writing but did so bad on the sciences I'm embarrassed to even say how bad! The only consolidation is that it tells me that if study better ill be able to do well the second time around. Congrats on the good scores!

Same here. It will all work out though! When are you all planning on retaking?

I signed up for a september 8th date. I supposed if I study nonstop 10 hours a day, I could do it. I'm just a little bit depressed at the moment and I feel a little unsure of what to do. I'm debating between taking it sept 8, just applying with the score I got to mainly my state med school (my gpa and extracurriculars are pretty solid), or waiting to apply next year.

Its just such a bummer.

I signed up for a september 8th date. I supposed if I study nonstop 10 hours a day, I could do it. I'm just a little bit depressed at the moment and I feel a little unsure of what to do. I'm debating between taking it sept 8, just applying with the score I got to mainly my state med school (my gpa and extracurriculars are pretty solid), or waiting to apply next year.

Its just such a bummer.

Not the best idea; You're gonna burn out pretty fast.

Not the best idea; You're gonna burn out pretty fast.

10 hours was a slight exaggeration. Probably 5-6 hours a day, take a dayoff each week.I think alot of my problem with the score was test anxiety. I flipped out when the test started. I've never had my heart pound that hard for literally 5 hours straight. I'm sort of at a loss for how to deal with it...

Plus I was working 40 hours a week up until a couple days before the mcat, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paul, seeing that you spend quite some time on this site and give out an immense amount of advice, what did you score on your MCAT?

So I checked last night and was totally shocked:
37Q
PS -14
VR - 10
BS - 13

Sooooo baffled about the BS score. I was one of the many people who thought I was raped by that section/whined and posted about it on this forum haha. Such a pleasant surprise! Definitely something that people who are taking/have taken this test later should realize...they actually DO curve these exams!

Does anyone know how much weight does the writing score carry?

So I checked last night and was totally shocked:
37Q
PS -14
VR - 10
BS - 13

Sooooo baffled about the BS score. I was one of the many people who thought I was raped by that section/whined and posted about it on this forum haha. Such a pleasant surprise! Definitely something that people who are taking/have taken this test later should realize...they actually DO curve these exams!

Does anyone know how much weight does the writing score carry?

Congrats! We were in the same boat. I thought I had really screwed up the BS section and I have the exact same breakdown of scores as you (except a P in writing, oops). Your Q in writing is fine. It's good enough that no one will ever look at it.

PS 9, BS 9, VR 8 P

Feel the same way, guys. I got a freaking 36 on AAMC 11, 35 on AAMC 10 and a 30 on 9. Needless to say, I got the same score, and I am ****ING ANNOYED.
Does anyone have a plan for studying again? I feel like my knowledge of the material is as good as it is going to be, and I even tutor students in gen chem!

anyone retaking on Sept 2nd? ...i just need to improve bio by 1 point, and if i get another bio section like the one we got i'm gonna flippp

Feel the same way, guys. I got a freaking 36 on AAMC 11, 35 on AAMC 10 and a 30 on 9. Needless to say, I got the same score, and I am ****ING ANNOYED.
Does anyone have a plan for studying again? I feel like my knowledge of the material is as good as it is going to be, and I even tutor students in gen chem!

My knowledge base was ok (my brain leaks information like a sieve, so I have to constantly review everything all the time) so I'll probably do heavy review on the sections I'm iffy on. I have all the exam krackers books, so I'll probably go through all the questions in each book, plus I'm about to go out and get the 1001 examkrackers series and get through as many problems as I can. I need to find someway to build my confidence. I'm all for avoiding the anxiety issues I had on the 7/6 test. I used to have online access to kaplan stuff....i'll have to call them and see if I could get access again...I'd like to take the practice tests.

So since I'm going to be a senior in college and not applying this cycle, I'm going to be waiting at least til next cycle. Basically, i'm interested in doing joint MD/MPH programs. Recently, I've come across the idea of doing an MPH program (2 yrs) before my MD (since technically, i would finish at the same time regardless of which way I did it).

The problem is that MCAT scores only last 3 years. But I'm not sure whether that means you have to APPLY within 3 years of taking it, or you have to MATRICULATE within 3 years. Also, given that some MD programs start in june and some start in august, does that mean my MCAT won't work for the ones in august?

My knowledge base was ok (my brain leaks information like a sieve, so I have to constantly review everything all the time) so I'll probably do heavy review on the sections I'm iffy on. I have all the exam krackers books, so I'll probably go through all the questions in each book, plus I'm about to go out and get the 1001 examkrackers series and get through as many problems as I can. I need to find someway to build my confidence. I'm all for avoiding the anxiety issues I had on the 7/6 test. I used to have online access to kaplan stuff....i'll have to call them and see if I could get access again...I'd like to take the practice tests.

Good plan. I have been reviewing my EK books for a second time, redoing all practice problems, and I already skimmed over my excessively large Kaplan book, which I found - and still find - to be more information than needed. I just as easily could have saved the 100 bucks and used all of my undergrad textbooks. I think EK is much more of an abridged version, and at this point, that is all I really want.

I think the anxiety associated with writing the exam for your first time under such settings is important for those of us whose strengths are not illustrated by standardized tests. I am hoping that what I've studied will shine through on the 8/23 test. Until then, I'll be cramming my butt off and taking a few breaks to run. Anyone else lost weight from the studying process? It has made food unappealing to me...and I am not on amphetamines!

Good plan. I have been reviewing my EK books for a second time, redoing all practice problems, and I already skimmed over my excessively large Kaplan book, which I found - and still find - to be more information than needed. I just as easily could have saved the 100 bucks and used all of my undergrad textbooks. I think EK is much more of an abridged version, and at this point, that is all I really want.

I think the anxiety associated with writing the exam for your first time under such settings is important for those of us whose strengths are not illustrated by standardized tests. I am hoping that what I've studied will shine through on the 8/23 test. Until then, I'll be cramming my butt off and taking a few breaks to run. Anyone else lost weight from the studying process? It has made food unappealing to me...and I am not on amphetamines!

I have. It's not terribly unusual for me.I usually lose a couple lbs around finals. so the same would go for the mcat.

Still in shock over this, but been meaning to post for a while
39R
14 physical
14 bio
11 verbal

used a combination of examkrackers, Kaplan, a little princeton review, the AAMC exams, school led review course, and studying 12 hours a day for 45 days before the exam.... it sucked.

jason482 is a troll this is their first post

why thank you. Not quite sure what the troll part means. to be honest I've been on this forum for a while using a username I realized could be easily associated with my actual name (stupid, i know). I didn't want to post my scores using that name given that issue. My apologies for any personal inconveniences I have caused you.

jason482 is a troll this is their first post

Is that jealousy or resentment I smell in the air?? Hey and what's wrong with using a name that might give away the secret of your identity? Are you FBI? Under heavy cover? Come on really?