The Official 5/23/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieTrying93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just registered to take the MCAT on May 23, 2013 at 8:00 a.m.! I had to register early because I live in NYC and seats fill up fast!

I'm gonna start with SN2's schedule in a couple of months. I ordered the books (TBR, EK, EK1001, etc) a couple of days ago.

How are you guys gonna study?

Best of luck everyone,

- DT93

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 31. PS 8 VR 11 BS 12.
I was hoping my verbal would be much better because I had so much time to check my answers.
Can someone tell me if an 8 will be screened for PS?

My avg. was a 34.

I've been lurking for almost a year, and made an account just to tell you guys my story.
Let me preface my statements by saying that I did not at all feel good about this test. I took a prep course during my spring semester, but I skipped many of the classes to attend to my real classes. Because of my fully loaded semesters, I basically only had 17 days to study for this test after my last final. I spent at least 10 hours a day studying, usually more. I became a zombie during that time and relied on complete support from my family and girlfriend. When I say complete, I mean COMPLETE. The only thing I did during this time besides study was bathe myself and spoon food into my mouth.

I used TPR books and practice tests along with a few EK materials to fill in gaps. I took TPR exams and 8 AAMC practice tests. All of my efforts culminated with this.

AAMC Practice Average: 29
Predicted: 28
Actual: 32!!!
I FEEL LIKE SHOUTING THIS FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!!!!!!!

Congrats to those who reached their goals! For those who didn't, keep your heads up. This was a retake for me (I scored a 28 on my previous MCAT).

Practice Test Averages
Don't have access to them anymore since I took them through a prep course (now expired). I can't remember my earlier AAMC scores, but I scored a 31, 29, 31 on AAMC 9, 10, and 11 respectively. I scored as low as 26 on one test.

Post-MCAT feeling
I felt terrible. During PS, I was really nervous and had a hard time calming down my nerves. I never felt so anxious during a practice exam, so I had no idea how to chill out. I felt like I was randomly clicking answers. I was able to calm down a bit for verbal and BS, but leaving the test center I was honestly expecting lower than a 27.

Actual Score
32!!! (10/10/12) :luck: :D

For those studying right now - it sucks. It's extremely isolating and you wonder whether anything is actually working. I urge you to keep pushing and never stop shooting for your dream score. Do those extra five flashcards before going to bed or wake up and do one extra passage in the morning. Leave it all out on the table, so you don't have regrets later on.

For those of you waiting on your score, I thought I bombed for sure but ended up doing well. There is hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been lurking for almost a year, and made an account just to tell you guys my story.
Let me preface my statements by saying that I did not at all feel good about this test. I took a prep course during my spring semester, but I skipped many of the classes to attend to my real classes. Because of my fully loaded semesters, I basically only had 17 days to study for this test after my last final. I spent at least 10 hours a day studying, usually more. I became a zombie during that time and relied on complete support from my family and girlfriend. When I say complete, I mean COMPLETE. The only thing I did during this time besides study was bathe myself and spoon food into my mouth.

I used TPR books and practice tests along with a few EK materials to fill in gaps. I took TPR exams and 8 AAMC practice tests. All of my efforts culminated with this.

AAMC Practice Average: 29
Predicted: 28
Actual: 32!!!
I FEEL LIKE SHOUTING THIS FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!!!!!!!

Man that is a gameday step-up for sure.

Just some hope for other test takers that know they got x number of questions wrong so they definitely didn't get higher than y.

After the test, I looked up approximately six PS questions that I was very unsure about. I got got at least 3 (maybe even 4; I don't remember exactly) definitely wrong. There were a few other questions that I was unsure about but I didn't remember them with enough detail to look them up. So basically, I KNEW that I got at least 4 wrong and that's not including other questions that I forgot. I was praying for an 11. I felt like it was wrong to even dream for a 12.

And somehow, I pulled off a 13 in PS.

Good luck everyone with your applications. Going through this as a community has made this process slightly more bearable. Thank you!

Just some hope for other test takers that know they got x number of questions wrong so they definitely didn't get higher than y.

After the test, I looked up approximately six PS questions that I was very unsure about. I got got at least 3 (maybe even 4; I don't remember exactly) definitely wrong. There were a few other questions that I was unsure about but I didn't remember them with enough detail to look them up. So basically, I KNEW that I got at least 4 wrong and that's not including other questions that I forgot. I was praying for an 11. I felt like it was wrong to even dream for a 12.

And somehow, I pulled off a 13 in PS.

Good luck everyone with your applications. Going through this as a community has made this process slightly more bearable. Thank you!

Thanks. This helps a lot as it is definitely what I have been doing and thinking. Good luck on the rest of the process!

35!!!!!!!!!! Actual: VR 9 PS 12 BS 14 Expected after submitting: VR12 PS9 BS8
I seriously almost voided my test because I thought it was so hard, and that I guessed on way too many. I thought verbal was my best section by far, and I was expecting to do horribly on bio because it was so orgo heavy.

This was my first time taking it, but my Kaplan average was a 35.6 out of 6 times, AAMC out of 3 times was a 31.3.

Everyone told me Kaplan scores are super inflated but I guess not!!!!

TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!

Physical Sciences:14
Verbal:7
Biological Sciences:11
Total:32

I bombed the verbal (I have a 3.805 gpa as a chem major, though), I did not think that the physical sciences were tough at all. Do you think I should retake to improve verbal?

I bombed the verbal (I have a 3.805 gpa as a chem major, though), I did not think that the physical sciences were tough at all. Do you think I should retake to improve verbal?

Please go against typical SDN logic and absolutely DO NOT retake a 32. It is an amazing score and with your GPA you will get love from amazing MD schools.

I would go ahead and apply this year. I have seen kids get into MD schools with a 7 on the VR but never seen below that so you do have a shot. Obviously If you don't get in then retake the MCAT next year.

I'm going to submit to one school a little after June 4th and add schools on the 25th once I know where I'm competitive. However, if you're not sure about applying this year at all, and you don't plan on applying unless you get a certain score, then I would advise you to wait.

so the consensus is to just apply to a random school .. JUST ONE right now and then see how you do on the MCAT. then just add more schools after that? But will your app be complete even if all your recommendation letters are not in yet?

Is this the same for DO Schools as well, that you can you submit then just add schools later inside that App system too?

If so .. I am DEFINITELY about to do this within a week!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that they were automatically released? It says "Y" on my score report… Y for yes, maybe?

I believe they are automatically included in your app for MD schools, but you need to release them to DO schools/podiatry schools/other schools that have other application service.

Well I had to go in and click something (cant remember the wording exactly) and then choose from a drop down menu to send them to tmdas. It's certainly possible this isnt needed for aamcas in which case I was wrong. But be safe and check and apologies for bad info

was at work, so i didn't get to post, but.... 10/13/10.... 33!!!!!!!!!! 3 points higher than my AAMC average. two big middle fingers to the mcat and the process -- it's good to be done. no idea how i made a 10 in PS; i genuinely figured i'd score an 8. congrats to all of you, and i'm out.

was at work, so i didn't get to post, but.... 10/13/10.... 33!!!!!!!!!! 3 points higher than my AAMC average. two big middle fingers to the mcat and the process -- it's good to be done. no idea how i made a 10 in PS; i genuinely figured i'd score an 8. congrats to all of you, and i'm out.

LMAO! Like a boss...I see you

MCAT #1 7/06/12: 25 (8 PS/8 VR/9 BS; didn't really study until the last 2 weeks. Terrible mistake)

AAMC Averages: from 2013
8: 28 (April'ish)
9: 30 (April'ish)
10: 33 (May'ish)
11: 31 (May'ish)
Avg. 30.5
Actual Retake: 31
25-->31. So glad I never have to study for this god forsaken test ever again. Congrats guys!

so upset that i cant bare to post individual scores.

37 average. 32 on test.

Should I wait to apply to next year/ re take in the fall? Are my chances at top schools completely shot? ( please don't give me the whole lecture on md from anywhere is the same. I know that but it hard to accept you might not have a chance at your dream school ( stanford btw)

37 average. 32 on test.

Should I wait to apply to next year/ re take in the fall? Are my chances at top schools completely shot? ( please don't give me the whole lecture on md from anywhere is the same. I know that but it hard to accept you might not have a chance at your dream school ( stanford btw)

If I had a 37 average and wanted a top school, I wouldn't apply with a 32. Just me.

it means taking a damn year off. im in india for the summer.
I'm really sorry you're disappointed. It'd really hard to know if you have a chance at Stanford without knowing much else about your situation. The 32 versus somewhere closer to a 37 like you were hoping will definitely make it harder, yes. But, no matter what MCAT you have, it's a total crap shoot, especially to get into Stanford. So, waiting a year to retake, maybe get a better score, and then applying when it's still nowhere close to being guaranteed doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

I'm also applying this year and got a 32 also... was also really disappointed, but I've come to terms more with it in the past month.

Good luck!

I'm really sorry you're disappointed. It'd really hard to know if you have a chance at Stanford without knowing much else about your situation. The 32 versus somewhere closer to a 37 like you were hoping will definitely make it harder, yes. But, no matter what MCAT you have, it's a total crap shoot, especially to get into Stanford. So, waiting a year to retake, maybe get a better score, and then applying when it's still nowhere close to being guaranteed doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

I'm also applying this year and got a 32 also... was also really disappointed, but I've come to terms more with it in the past month.

Good luck!

I'd be happy to give me information if you'd be willing to hear/ not sure how helpful that would be. In fact i have AMCAs ready to go lol, could send you that TT

37 average. 32 on test.

Sorry you're disappointed, I hope everything works out for you. I had around a 37 going in as well and just took it on June 20th. If you wouldn't mind me asking, it would be helpful if you could say how you felt about the exam right after taking it/before you got your scores? It seems that most people who have posted at least have done at or around their AAMC average. Would you say you felt about the same as your practice tests after taking or did you feel like the real test was harder?

I'd be happy to give me information if you'd be willing to hear/ not sure how helpful that would be. In fact i have AMCAs ready to go lol, could send you that TT
Sure, feel free to give me more info! I'm not sure what TT means

I just cancelled a July 25th reservation in the Boston area. If anyone needs a retake you could grab the seat now. PM within the next 30 minutes and I can tell you the exact testing center.

I've never seen so many 20's in an SDN MCAT thread. I am beyond infuriated with my 27. I never scored that low on any practice test and had an average of 31. Sad part is I felt good about it. Debating a retake but may apply to 5-10 MD and 5-10 DO schools and say f*^& it

I've never seen so many 20's in an SDN MCAT thread. I am beyond infuriated with my 27. I never scored that low on any practice test and had an average of 31. Sad part is I felt good about it. Debating a retake but may apply to 5-10 MD and 5-10 DO schools and say f*^& it

If you don't mind me asking, what where your section scores and which did you feel was the hardest?

There does seem to be a strong lack of 35+ posts in this particular thread. I noticed in previous weeks that there were always like a half dozen to a dozen but in this thread there is only 3 or 4....a lot more 20s than usual too

Just thought I would post because of the last post. I scored 37 (12 bio 13 phys 12 verb) and was scoring around that range on the official practices. I did think this MCAT was difficult though.

Just to be fair though this is my second sitting for the test.

Back to lurking I go! :shifty:

AAMC's:
3 - 29
3 - 31
5 - 32
7 - 35
8 - 33
10 - 34
11 - 33

Actual - 35! (PS-11 VR-13 BS-11)

Felt that I had BOMBED physics (ran out of time and guessed on a TON at the end), felt great about verbal and then normal about bio. By today I'd managed my expectations to the point where I was just praying to break 30, so very happy about my score! And goes to show (with the PS here) that you really can't tell how you did and have to put a bad section behind you while taking the test and move on!

37 average. 32 on test.

Dude who gives a crap. Get in, work hard and get a good residency spot. Be thankful for your 32. (and honestly, do you want to do this ALL over again?)

AAMC's:
3 - 29
3 - 31
5 - 32
7 - 35
8 - 33
10 - 34
11 - 33

Actual - 35! (PS-11 VR-13 BS-11)

Felt that I had BOMBED physics (ran out of time and guessed on a TON at the end), felt great about verbal and then normal about bio. By today I'd managed my expectations to the point where I was just praying to break 30, so very happy about my score! And goes to show (with the PS here) that you really can't tell how you did and have to put a bad section behind you while taking the test and move on!
Congrats on your score! You must be so relieved. I kinda felt the same way after taking the May 30th exam---I ran out of time on the PS and guessed on a bunch of questions at the end, verbal was okay and bio too...one more week.....

I'm in the exact same boat, my friend! I was averaging 32 and got a 28. Based on my breakdown it looks like I just freaked out when I got there and bombed PS then got comfortable and scored average in VR and BS. My plan is to apply to 5-10 MD schools, enjoy my summer off and hit the books again in September for a January retake. My AMCAS is all set, so worst case scenario I don't get into any schools this round, I will be at the top of the pile (hopefully with a much better MCAT score) next round and can maybe get into a reach or two! I've been out of school a year already, so for me, what's another year?

But yeah, I'm really not looking forward to this process again. Just trying to keep optimistic! Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, what where your section scores and which did you feel was the hardest?

8p 9v 10b. I definitely thought PS was the hardest but the lowest I ever scored on a ps before that was a 10 and lowest was a 10 in bio. normally 12s and 13s

8p 9v 10b. I definitely thought PS was the hardest but the lowest I ever scored on a ps before that was a 10 and lowest was a 10 in bio. normally 12s and 13s

How was your verbal during practice? Are you going to retake?

I got a 29! I was hoping for higher but I will still apply this year. I received a 12 in bio,9 on verbal and 8 on physical. My gpa is 3.9. I'm not sure if I should apply to MD. Do you think I have a chance?

I got a 29! I was hoping for higher but I will still apply this year. I received a 12 in bio,9 on verbal and 8 on physical. My gpa is 3.9. I'm not sure if I should apply to MD. Do you think I have a chance?
Would it really hurt to try and find out? I would.

I have been lurking on this thread since taking the MCAT, and decided I would post now. Congrats to everyone who persevered through this exam and good luck with your futures!

Kaplan Diagnostic: 21
AAMC Average: 31
Predicted: Below 30, felt absolutely terrible about PS and not great about VR and BS
Actual MCAT: 33 8PS 12VR 13BS

Physical sciences was killer, but I am very happy with my overall score. A bit concerned that it is lopsided, but I am not planning on retaking. Will 8 get screened out at very many schools?

Hey all,

I've been creeping in the shadows on these boards for quite some time, decided it was time to contribute.

AAMCAS AVG - 30

FEELING AFTER TEST - As if my dog got hit by a car.

ACTUAL - 10/9/12

To all those who are awaiting scores. Making an objective assessment of your performance on the MCAT is nearly impossible. While this is the most important test you've taken in a lifetime, realize that your thoughts on how you did (or did not) do on test day usually are poor predictors of test performance.

To all you seasoned applicants:

Mitigating factors contributed to my 3.1 GPA, but have extensive clinical as well as research and volunteer experience. Where should I apply and in your opinion, what are my chances of admission to an Allopathic institution?

-Heavy

Physical sciences was killer, but I am very happy with my overall score. A bit concerned that it is lopsided, but I am not planning on retaking. Will 8 get screened out at very many schools?

This is only my experience from being the forums but I've seen others say a 7 might raise questions but with a good overall score you'll be ok. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in though.

This is only my experience from being the forums but I've seen others say a 7 might raise questions but with a good overall score you'll be ok. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in though.

I've seen people get accepted to medical school with a 7 on VR but i don't know about a 7 on the sciences.

How was your verbal during practice? Are you going to retake?

anywhere from 7-10 depending on the level of concentration I had. Yes I have a retake scheduled for August 16. Hopefully that's not too late since I'm already verified and everything

I keep wondering what I would have scored if I didn't have such an awful testing center experience. But then I remind myself that I'm being an idiot, and should be super happy with my score. :scared:

So ready for this entire process to be over. Congrats to everyone.