The Official 4/16/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveJMarist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to stay level headed about this

But PS was just different.... Not different in super hard way or easy way. Just different... I took a moment and wondered what was the point on conditioning myself to the aamc practice tests. Can't even say it was like 11.

VR
The wording was more straight forward and everything much longer. The passage on birds felt like a 2 page essay. I didn't have much time to look back and felt it cost me for a decent amount of them.

BS.
At the very last minute I changed a correct answer to the wrong one for one of the discretes. Won't ever forget that... Sad there was only 1 orgo. This was the only science that I recognized as a regular aamc science section. Not saying it was easy but atleast I knew it was an mcat passage. Unlike PS which I was like "huh" for about 4-5 of the passages.

All in all I am going to enjoy myself and relax. Things are out of my hands now. So might as well predict a 45 on the test. 15, 15, 15 and T :laugh: rather than predict low so i can feel better later on.
See you all! Hope it went well

Still agree with this post even now. What a journey. Now to worry about apps.

Yea, I saw that fool pull that move. I was upset and I wasn't even waiting for a score, so I can imagine how you guys felt.

Guys, PLEASE report this kind of toolishness when you see it. It'll earn the user a 1 week PH.

They're out!

42S : PS 14, VR 13, BS 15!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Holy ****.

AAMC average: 28-29

Actual score: 36P! 12 PS 10VR 14BS

Idk how i did it. That bio section was so tough!

What a nice surprise for you!

Congrats to everyone that did as good or better than they hoped! Good luck to everyone that wants to retake! Either way, go relax for the rest of the night before worrying about it. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your score...it's hard to be so close! But at least you know you don't have that much improving to do. I, on the other hand, have a long way to go. Feel free to not answer this question if you don't feel comfortable, but what state did you sign up for the 16th? Because I called today and they told me everywhere for that date was pretty much full???

sorry for the late reply been out all day, but I signed up for july 16th (did I say june earlier?), and I'm taking it in SC...and yeahh hopefully i can get that 30+ next time. Good luck!

...thanks, haha. That was such a surprise!

It looks like a lot of people on this thread got what they wanted, way to go guys! To those who didn't, you'll come back from this with flying colors, that was just more practice for your real test. :)

Congrats on that score! I hope you share your study strategies on the 30+ thread!

Also, congrats to everyone who got scores they wanted and congrats in advance for those who have YET to get their desired scores :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
VR-9
BS-10
PS-10

Not really happy but not really sad considering I thought I did a lot worse in bio. I'm upset that I couldn't get a 10 in VR though and I only got a 10 in PS. Will be retaking July 16 :thumbup:

Overall, great job 4/16ers! Hope everyone has a solid application cycle. (if you're applying this year)

Is it bad if you have a 12 - 8 - 12?
(PS V BS)
I know the overall score isn't too bad, but the difference between the scores seems bad.

13 physical
11 Verbal
11 biological
Total 35S
The essay score totally blew me away, lol, not having done a graded one before, I had no idea what to expect...haha, i guess i nailed it :laugh: Really wish I had been able to get a point or 2 higher on the bio, but I felt like the non orgo parts were pretty challenging, Also, this is 3 points higher than i ever scored on the AAMC, and 3 or 4 points better than my average, I guess when you know it the real thing, you have a tendency to step your game up a little bit. Thanks examkrackers and AAMC,
Congrats to everyone else who broke 30+, and good luck to anyone who is going to retake it...dont worry, its not the end of the world

8/8/8 Good enough for carib and DO. I'm happy.
24 mcat is not ideal for DO unless you have 3.7+ sGPA/cGPA. The Big 4 in the caribbean are getting more competitive; SGU/ROSS have a 25+ mcat average. Your mcat will be ok for SABA and AUC if your GPAs are above 3.2+. You should think hard before heading to carib since finding residency is extremely difficult for these students.

What happened to that married guy?

Edit: Spoke too soon.

Is it bad if you have a 12 - 8 - 12?
(PS V BS)
I know the overall score isn't too bad, but the difference between the scores seems bad.

I agree that the overall isn't bad. I don't think that the VR should hold you back much, but I'm not sure. I think 8 is about the tipping point. I certainly wouldn't suggest a retake.

Ask in the WAMC forums or wait for someone more knowledgeable to comment.

You can also try the "Should I Retake?" thread in this forum. :)

As RtC said, 8 is about the cut-off point for a lot of schools, but I'm pretty sure it usually means that an 8 is usually the last score before they start screening.

24 mcat is not ideal for DO unless you have 3.7+ sGPA/cGPA. The Big 4 in the caribbean are getting more competitive; SGU/ROSS have a 25+ mcat average. Your mcat will be ok for SABA and AUC if your GPAs are above 3.2+. You should think hard before heading to carib since finding residency is extremely difficult for these students.

I'm not too worried. I got a lower score than that my first take of the MCAT and Ross admissions said that would get me in for an interview.

I have alot of shadowing/volunteer experience, plus military background and non-traditional student.

So I worked until 5:30 today and decided not to check until I got home so people wouldn't see how emotional I got lol.

I guess the curve really was generous!!

AAMC averages (distributions): 13P (12-14), 10V (9-11), 12B (11-13)
Actual exam: 13/10/13 --> 36O

I'm so happy, cause I really did think it was such a hard test, I was really expecting anything from 29-37, so I'm happy of where I landed!!!

Congrats to everyone who's happy with their score...we did it!
For those who did not, Don't give up...so many success stories of people who retook it!!!

35R I got 4 points above my aamc average.
13ps, 11vr, 11bs.
funniest thing is, on AAMC i usually scored like 10 10 11 or some variation of that, with physical sciences being my weakest. this new PS format being HIGHLY conceptual rather than equation-based probably served me well, because I dont remember any shheet from physics or gchem except for concepts. very interesting how things turned out. no way im gonna retake though, im applying this cycle.

I'm not too worried. I got a lower score than that my first take of the MCAT and Ross admissions said that would get me in for an interview.

I have alot of shadowing/volunteer experience, plus military background and non-traditional student.

Any interest in the Armed forces school? I'd atleast try there. Military background is a huge plus and if you have a good gpa it would make up for the mcat.

Any interest in the Armed forces school? I'd atleast try there. Military background is a huge plus and if you have a good gpa it would make up for the mcat.

I thought about it. I got out on a medical from the USAF so they won't take me back. Army said they would consider taking me. It's hard going blue to green though.

Congrats everyone! I've been quiet b/c my computer died the day after the MCAT (I think it was tired!)

12/11/12 (35M) No idea what happened with the writing sample, maybe I've spent too many years doing technical writing? I'm a little disappointed in my VR score, it was usually my strong point, but pleasantly surprised about PS. I don't even know what to think about the writing score, hopefully no one will care about it.

This thread was a great source of support while studying, so thank you and congrats! Good luck during the application season!

Good job, guys! Glad it's over, huh?

Any advice for us taking it this weekend and next week (besides praying we get material playing off our strengths of course)? :D

PS V BS
AAMC 3 10 11 9 = 30
AAMC 4 11 11 10 = 32
AAMC 5 12 9 10 = 31
AAMC 7 12 9 10 = 31
AAMC 8 10 11 11 = 32 AAMC average= 32.25
AAMC 9 12 12 11 = 35
AAMC 10 12 10 11 = 33
AAMC 11 14 11 9 = 34

4/16 13 9 11 = 33 M

I'll take it. It was dead on my AAMC average. Verbal was a little lower than my average and lower than I wanted, but I think I have valid excuses: 1. with 5 minutes left I was scrabbling through the last passage and the proctor comes and taps me on the shoulder and asks if my locker number is #13. I'm in the middle of the most important test of of my life (up to this point) and trying to focus on the passage and she thinks its important to ask me about a locker problem. WTF. Couldn't she wait till a break. Needles to say I was angry, but I tried to refocus and move forward through the section, but it did through me off. 2. I was the last to begin the MCAT that morning, so while I was finishing verbal everyone else was on writing, and many people around me typed loud, which also bothered me. These excuses may sound nit picky, but on the MCAT, especially in verbal, subtleties and implications can be missed easily and a distraction right at the end as I'm scrambling to finish could have made a question or 2 difference and bumped up my score a point. But overall I'm ecstatic with my score.

And writing, I'm convinced, doesn't matter. I didn't do a single practice essay.

8- PS
11- verbal
14 - bio
Q - writing

This is a bizarre spread huh? I'd like it to be more even but I mean a 33, what the hell ? How can I complain about this. The 14 in bio urgh? not sure how it happened but hey I'll take it!

AAMC average is 33, but scored 35 in last few. Almost voided the test.

Real thing - PS 14 / VR 11 / BS 13: 38R

Yet again, proof that you should NOT VOID an exam unless you did something incredibly bad, like not getting to 2 passages in PS/BS and one in VR.

Hey everyone, I have followed this thread from the beginning, took the test 4/16 and thought I'd chime in.

Definitely had much of the same feelings that many of you had about the test, didn't feel great by any means. Got my score today:
12 PS
11 VR
11 BS
Total: 34Q

My top AAMC score was a 31 ever (on number 8 I think). I don't know how I pulled out a 12 on PS but I'll take it non the less. Congrats on everyone who did well. Keep up the good work to all!

Disappointed. I knew that BS section was going to do me in.

32Q

BS: 11
PS: 10
VR: 11
W: Q

Was close to AAMC average though. Got some 12's and a 14 at end of prep on BS. Not sure if I should retake...

Disappointed. I knew that BS section was going to do me in.

32Q

BS: 11
PS: 10
VR: 11
W: Q

Was close to AAMC average though. Got some 12's and a 14 at end of prep on BS. Not sure if I should retake...

I'd be happy with this man. I think retaking it is a pretty bad idea. I scored a ton of 13s in PS and only got an 11, but will def not be taking the test again with a 31Q. A 31 was my AAMC average as well.

Cheers bud- I feel like you did well :thumbup:

I'd be happy with this man. I think retaking it is a pretty bad idea. I scored a ton of 13s in PS and only got an 11, but will def not be taking the test again with a 31Q. A 31 was my AAMC average as well.

Cheers bud- I feel like you did well :thumbup:

Agreed- that balanced spread looks great too. I ended up with 11-8-12; I would have loved to get that spread, or even an 11 on VR! Congrats man

Thanks guys. I'm probably not going to retake after thinking about it all yesterday. My score puts me at or above all of my state schools (FL res. so I have a bunch of them). I think its just the years of competition that have made me neurotic. Congrats everyone :thumbup:. If you're retaking, stay patient and work hard. GL :luck:.

Oh and Steve, I think you're in good shape for MD schools honestly. Apply really broadly and I see no problem (especially for those Chicago area schools). Perhaps you could throw one or two of your preferred DO schools on there. You are a shoe-in for those.

Thanks guys. I'm probably not going to retake after thinking about it all yesterday. My score puts me at or above all of my state schools (FL res. so I have a bunch of them). I think its just the years of competition that have made me neurotic. Congrats everyone :thumbup:. If you're retaking, stay patient and work hard. GL :luck:.

Oh and Steve, I think you're in good shape for MD schools honestly. Apply really broadly and I see no problem (especially for those Chicago area schools). Perhaps you could throw one or two of your preferred DO schools on there. You are a shoe-in for those.

Glad to hear you've come to terms with your score, because it is great (especially for those FL schools).

And, yea, I'm pretty much just going to apply to a TON of MD schools and maybe a handful of DO ones that I'm genuinely interested in (midwestern, PCOM, and MSUCOM- maybe more idk yet).

Will do ~ 30 MD schools...

Glad to hear you've come to terms with your score, because it is great (especially for those FL schools).

And, yea, I'm pretty much just going to apply to a TON of MD schools and maybe a handful of DO ones that I'm genuinely interested in (midwestern, PCOM, and MSUCOM- maybe more idk yet).

THIRTY?! :eek: man, i wish i had the funds to do that many schools, let alone the time this summer to do 30 secondaries. good luck though! :luck:

yea, I'm shooting for around 30 MD schools also. Luckily I qualified for the FAP and was able to save some money this year to pay for the rest of the primaries. Most schools waive the secondary too if you qualify right?

Yea, a lot of ppl do around 30 schools, no? That's what others have recommended I do anyway. FYI- I will be an a VERY tight budget in applying to 30 schools.

Yea, a lot of ppl do around 30 schools, no? That's what others have recommended I do anyway. FYI- I will be an a VERY tight budget in applying to 30 schools.

Haha I've never heard the 30 school recommendation before. The most I've ever heard was 20. I think I'm doing like 12-15 schools max. I also want to stay within a 1-state radius of Pennsylvania, which limits my numbers as well. My choices will depend on how my MCAT score plays out, which I take on Friday (super nervous!).

Good luck with AMCAS everyone! I was dropping in on your thread to see what it would be like for me on June 21. Such a long time to wait!

Haha I've never heard the 30 school recommendation before. The most I've ever heard was 20. I think I'm doing like 12-15 schools max. I also want to stay within a 1-state radius of Pennsylvania, which limits my numbers as well. My choices will depend on how my MCAT score plays out, which I take on Friday (super nervous!).

Good luck with AMCAS everyone! I was dropping in on your thread to see what it would be like for me on June 21. Such a long time to wait!

Good luck on your Friday MCAT. It is indeed a long wait, but be confident in your AAMC practice test experiences (as long as you are happy with those scores, of course).

FYI- you typically hear the "apply broadly/ 20-30 schools" advice. I'm just going for the heavier end on that one.

Yea I might do Midwestern, PCOM, and DMU. I have 36 MD schools on my list, but the FAP people say I can't get approved until my mother's taxes come in, even with a W-2 showing income. I was approved for FAP in late November and nothing has changed, but I cannot use that approval since it's done by calender year :(. I dunno what to do.

Get those Heat down 0-2! :) Congrats once again Steve.

Thanks! Unfortunately the Bulls didn't follow suit :(

Yea I might do Midwestern, PCOM, and DMU. I have 36 MD schools on my list, but the FAP people say I can't get approved until my mother's taxes come in, even with a W-2 showing income. I was approved for FAP in late November and nothing has changed, but I cannot use that approval since it's done by calender year :(. I dunno what to do.

Ah that sucks. Unfortunately I know nothing about FAP and would be of no help. I do know, however, that with 36 MD schools you should be OK.