The Official 07/30/10 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Teehee.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking about the test all day. I know for fact that I got 2 questions on PS wrong and 3 questions on BS wrong. They were all really dumb mistakes that I shouldn't have made. Compounded with the questions that I potentially got wrong and don't know about, I'm not looking at a score anywhere near what I wanted. It's going to be a long month.

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading through the 5/28/09 thread, it looks like it wasn't just the verbal passage that was the same. It was the bio and physical as well.

Adding to the list started on here, here's what I had:

Bio:
Lipase
Scn8a
Triglycerides
Orgo synthesis
Angiotensin
Immunoglobulins
Imprinting

Verbal:
Tam seeds
Chinese porcelain
Kangaroos
Human rights
Religion - economy
Architecture
Robots

PS:
Earthquakes
Chem pigment
Intermolecular forces
Bohr model
Antineutrino
K with graph chem passage

Anyone remember what the last PS passage was? I wish I knew which ones were experimental...

Is anyone else surprised they reused an entire test from only last cycle?
I didn't have a VR passage on Robots. I had one about some European capitalist dude. The rest are the same, though.

I freaking loved the religion-economy passage. That sociology stuff is right up my alley.

Well, I'm going out with my family to gorge myself on Chinese food. It's going to be a long month.

I didn't have a VR passage on Robots. I had one about some European capitalist dude. The rest are the same, though.

I freaking loved the religion-economy passage. That sociology stuff is right up my alley.

Thank God you mentioned that. I nearly had a heart attack about that robots thing. Same here.

Man, I can't stop thinking about the PS section. It's usually my bread and butter, but I had to make educated guesses on a handful of questions. I literally can remember more than half of the questions, and I keep replaying them in my mind. Really don't want to think about this for the next month.

Man, I can't stop thinking about the PS section. It's usually my bread and butter, but I had to make educated guesses on a handful of questions. I literally can remember more than half of the questions, and I keep replaying them in my mind. Really don't want to think about this for the next month.

Exactly the same here. I finished at least 10min early on all of the PSs of all of the AAMCs and averaged 14. This test I finished 0 seconds to spare and also came out knowing I got a question wrong (didn't change it to the right answer...figured my first answer is usually the right one but nope).

And the first two passages in VR were deadly for me as I usually average 10s on VR.

After that, it was pretty decent. Bio felt amazing after what I had to go through in PS and VR, but my brain felt so numb that I'm doubtful of that as well.

Overall, WAY harder than any AAMC, and really hoping for a generous curve here.

I JUST got a hold of some internet access, so I can finally post what I thought of the MCAT...

btw, I knew I was going to void so I was probably not as nervous/stressed out as some of you guys were. But I did try to answer each question as if it were life or death and as if I was getting it scored.

My testing center was actually really nice. We got these nice lockers and there was a cold water dispenser so you could drink cold water on ur break if you didn't bring any. There were ~20 people? A guy got yelled at in front of everyone because he was studying his flashcards when everything except ur ID was supposed to be put away...then he got scolded a couple minutes later when he missed his name being called rofl. I think everyone was just really nervous...

PS- I started getting nervous while I was jotting down formulas like crazy. But wth? this section was so doable that it was kind of hard... I read the first question and was like "oh, well thats simple enough" and I couldn't get the freaking answer!! I was getting so irritated because I'm 90% sure it was a simple math calculation with no formula required, just using numbers from the passage/question. but yeah I just ended up guessing because I was spending WAY too much time on that problem :mad:. I was pretty surprised about what was being tested. I think I focused so much on stuff I was worried about like some crazy optics/electromagnetism/engine passage that kind of forgot about the 'easier' stuff. Also, was it just me or was the PS super gchem heavy?...I'm a gchem tutor so maybe thats why I thought it was okay.. Not ridiculously easy, but definitely a doable section. I was kind of pissed off because I knew I was going to void -_-

VS- Not bad. I agree with everyone about that freaking chinese pottery passage. I had to force myself to think ::i love pottery, this is so intriguing, i wish i could read a book about this:: yeah that didn't work. While reading it though I did recall a testing group in May-ish saying they had some agonizing passage about chinese porcelain/pottery, so I thought maybe it was the same one. I guess it was. Kangaroo passage was okay...I like kangaroos so I kind of enjoyed it lol. I kind of like dodo birds (because of Ice Age rofl) so that 1st passage was readable, although I guess it wasn't really about the birds...but that one passage about that dude..whose name started with an 'S'...I was so uninterested in. I usually do better with the humanity passages, which is kind of weird since I'm a bio major. But this time it felt like the opposite. I guess overall, VR was as expected. I have to say though, for some of those answer choices I didn't know what to eliminate... Maybe the passages were easy and the questions/answer choices a little harder? dahh..

WS- I've never taken a FL with the writing section, so I figured this was a good time to see how burnt out I get afterwards. I enjoy writing a lot, so this was like a creative break for me. I didn't feel that burned out at the end though. If anything it gave me some energy haha.

BS- ughhh. Whatever confidence/energy I had after the WS was completely GONE by the time I got to BS. I think the fatigue started hitting me right after the break. I was so dead tired I could barely think logically. Not only that, but the BS basically tested everything that I either suck at or find uninteresting. I think I had 1 or 2 ochem passages? They were okay. Taking this MCAT though made me realize that the BS really is all about reading comprehension. It probably varies between tests, but there was only a handful of questions that directly required me to think back to my EK Bio book. Discretes were pretty easy for the most part. And yeah that nuclear something question I was just like :uhhh wth is that??:

After 5 long hours of taking the mcat, I clicked VOID, filled out the little survey thingy, and left!

So what I learned from this MCAT:
-study my butt off more for bio and develop better reading comprehension skills somehow
-practice studying for longer periods of time to help build up endurance and focus
-remember to still review older/easier topics to keep them fresh
-bring a jacket next time (I started to freeze)
-bring better snacks...(I had eaten 5 freaking special K bars by the end. never. again.)

For anyone taking the MCAT soon:
This is probably a no-brainer, but GET TO YOUR TESTING CENTER EARLY!!! I was the second one there, and it was basically first come, first serve. I started the test about 10 min after the first person that was called in. So by the time I got to the WS, we were the only ones typing away. Everyone else was still doing VR. By the time I was almost done with WS, all you heard was people typing away like mad and I couldn't imagine how annoying it must have been for all the people that came around 8 and had to listen to that while doing VR.

Anyway, for everyone that took the MCAT today and scored it, congrats!!! you are now free! I'm sure you guys did great :)

my post-void-intense-mcat-studying resumes Monday :rolleyes:

I SINCERELY hope that ALL of you that post ANY content of the exam are REJECTED from ALL medical schools that you apply to.

How can you take yourselves seriously? You have ALREADY breached the most FUNDAMENTAL virtue of ANY professional: CONFIDENTIALITY.

If I were AMCAS I would track you down and VOID your application.

By the way, I thought that today's test was CHILD'S PLAY! At least I can rest assured that my performance helped to ruin the 'curve' that many of you are hoping for.

I SINCERELY hope that ALL of you that post ANY content of the exam are REJECTED from ALL medical schools that you apply to.

How can you take yourselves seriously? You have ALREADY breached the most FUNDAMENTAL virtue of ANY professional: CONFIDENTIALITY.

By the way, I thought that today's test was CHILD'S PLAY! At least I can rest assured that my performance helped to ruin the 'curve' that many of you are hoping for.

:laugh:

Cool story, bro.

I'm willing to bet ur a troll

dayam PS. way harder than my 05/27 test. I felt it had a lot of calculations!

all else seemed alright, verbal was okay, BS was um interesting...not bad, but not great either

Members don't see this ad :)
was PS alot harder than the practice tests or is it just me?

I actually felt the same way too! I do not think it is us, I just think the info on the PS passages were kind of from outer space...Just hope the curve will help us all a little :xf:

I'm sure I destroyed you, squid.

...By the way, I thought that today's test was CHILD'S PLAY!...

I thought it was more Child's Play 2

DVD-Cover_Childs_Play_2.jpg

hey guys hopefully u all did great today, I was wondering about feedback from people today who used tbr prep, did berk review biology or physics help...or was it more similar to kaplan prep material

Finally resumed access to my laptop...here's my brief thoughts on the exam today...

PS: I found it to be quite a bit harder than the AAMC practice exams. A lot more calculations..and other than that, I can't remember anything else :scared: probably blocked it out of my memory...

VR: I didn't find the length of the passages too much longer than AAMC practice exams and timed myself quite well. Of course there were ambiguous questions...if there weren't it wouldn't be called VR :p Like most people have said, the pottery passage and something else were really convoluted :scared:

WS: the first prompt I had was identical to one of my practice prompts XD how likely is that! And the second prompt wasn't too difficult to gather examples from either :) I felt quite good after my essays.

BS: I got quite worked up going into it because of what previous examiners have said about how it's more based on experimental passages...but I think the difficulty of the questions were on par with practice exams. Some discrete questions were either' you know it or not' type questions. There is definitely more focus on molecular genetics and less on organic. I think I had in total 1 passage, and around 4-5 discrete orgo questions.

Now that that's over with, I'm gonna start working on my OMSAS applications (for Ontario med schools) and hunt down profs for references. :laugh: Coincidently, our results are released on the same day as my bf's birthday :D I warned him beforehand that my mood might fluctuate depending on my score XD hopefully it'll be a happy fluctuation :luck:

Hope everyone had a good experience today :) Just think, we're all (potentially) one step closer to our dream~

I walked into the testing center blasting Sky is the Limit and just got the strangest looks. To the girl who thought she was super cool by wearing Hopkins sandals and a t-shirt, you're a tool :D

I don't know what hopkins sandals are but I rocked flip flops, shorts, and a t shirt...it's all about being comfortable during these tests at least to me. seems kinda harsh

Anyways this MCAT made me come over and join the SDN. I took 6 or 7 practice tests before and scored between a 33 and 36 on all. This was while practicing so it seemed my scores were getting better. I then took a weekend off studying the week before this test and immediately got extremely sick afterwards. I took 2 more tests right before the MCAT and got a 29 then a 30, which were lower than before i started studying almost. I had a couple more days to get better and was not sick going into the test.

The bad:
- None of the passages on PS/B were in areas I had studied outside of MCAT prep. Usually there is a passage on genetics, evolution, respiration, something I had taken a physiology class on etc. I was excited at first for the imprinting passage but surprised that my genetics skills didn't really pay off and it was still really hard. This was the first test I took where I didn't get something I knew I could nail but others might not be able to.

- PS was really heavy on chemistry I felt like. I'm sure they portion things out so it probably only seemed like it but I do not feel very good about my PS score and am thinking it will be under a 10 for certain.

-BS seemed to be more heavy than some practice tests on orgo but chemistry is my weak point so maybe it just seemed like that, on the good side the orgo seemed do-able. Also the BS passages were pretty obscure topics I thought and not over what you would spend most of the time studying.

The good:

-I really didn't study orgo as much as I should have looking through notecards on the way to the test I only knew like 1/10 of the reactions. Still I felt like most orgo questions I narrowed it down pretty well and they seemed fair.

-I had enough time on all the sections although PS was cutting it closer.

-Verbal I thought was pretty easy besides the robot and kangaroo passage had some questions that even with extra time I couldn't make up my mind between two answers.

- Besides maybe some more chemistry knowledge I don't know if extra studying would have helped or at least studying on what I was focusing on... so that made me feel good that I wasn't lacking equations or things like that for the most part.

Overall I think I did not as good as I was hoping. I was shooting for a 34 or 35 but I think I might be in the 28-31 boat. Hell, I shouldn't even make a guess I really have no idea other than that I am pretty sure there is no way I got much above 30 and if I did it was because of verbal. Still there was enough of a chance there is no way I am going to keep studying until I see the scores. I was hoping that everyone thought these passages were really hard like I did but it looks like a mix on the forums here.

It seemed like the gimme points on bio/PS were chemistry based. This hurt me because usually I dominate physics, and biology then use educated guessing on the chemistry to pull through. On this test I felt like the bio and some other stuff was beyond scope a little almost so the for sure points were on chem.

Probably way too long of a post, I'm gonna finish my apps up this weekend hopefully submit and cross my fingers. Best of luck to everybody!!! The one thing I have learned about MCAT from taking it this once and practice tests is it kind of seems like luck of the draw on passages, they cant test you on everything so if some of us do poorly and take a second time the questions may be in other subjects and we would do great.

my prediction... 29?

Last edited:
I don't know what hopkins sandals are but I rocked flip flops, shorts, and a t shirt...it's all about being comfortable during these tests at least to me. seems kinda harsh

She was wearing a Johns Hopkins t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Pretty weak.

haha nice that is pretty weak lol

A couple of the people at my test were dressed up and i thought that it was kind of odd since there seemed to be no reason so I pegged you for one of them my bad!

I also noticed that several people had what looked like their parents dropping them off to take the test. Nothing wrong with that but it was just surprising how I saw a few people arrive like that and I think it was the first time I'd seen that since even before starting college...

haha nice that is pretty weak lol

A couple of the people at my test were dressed up and i thought that it was kind of odd since there seemed to be no reason so I pegged you for one of them my bad!

I also noticed that several people had what looked like their parents dropping them off to take the test. Nothing wrong with that but it was just surprising how I saw a few people arrive like that and I think it was the first time I'd seen that since even before starting college...

yeah, some people at my testing center were dropped off by their parents too. I was kind of surprised as well, but most of the parents were giving their kids little pep talks haha I thought it was cool.

I hope everyone is taking it easy. Today was the first day since before my finals in June that I woke up after 6:00 AM. It felt freaking amazing :laugh:

yeah, some people at my testing center were dropped off by their parents too. I was kind of surprised as well, but most of the parents were giving their kids little pep talks haha I thought it was cool.

I hope everyone is taking it easy. Today was the first day since before my finals in June that I woke up after 6:00 AM. It felt freaking amazing :laugh:
Are you serious? My MCAT day was the first time I woke up before 7 since about 2008.

although off topic, I just remembered this so I thought I should share. At my testing center, there was a lady who got a flat tire on the way to the test, and she drove like 5 or 6 mile on a completely flat tire to make it to the test! that cars axle is probably gone! I at least hope she didn't get raped by the PS section like most of us did!

I don't think that I got raped by PS. It was definitely harder than the AAMCs but definitely not impossible, at the same time I don't think I did that well either, mainly because I know I made stupid errors and I keep thinking back to that AAMC 10 curve where missing 3 questions dropped me all the way down to a 13.

I don't think that I got raped by PS. It was definitely harder than the AAMCs but definitely not impossible, at the same time I don't think I did that well either, mainly because I know I made stupid errors and I keep thinking back to that AAMC 10 curve where missing 3 questions dropped me all the way down to a 13.

If the curve on the friday MCAT is like the AAMC 10 curve, then I know I got a 3!! AAMC 10 has a really harsh curve for the PS (I got a 12 with four missed questions).

I walked into the testing center blasting Sky is the Limit and just got the strangest looks. To the girl who thought she was super cool by wearing Hopkins sandals and a t-shirt, you're a tool :D

I just totally lol'ed at work. Thanks for that.

I really don't remember the PS. Other than thinking wtf are they talking about? But I feel that I was able to reason my way through it. I never studied for BS (I work in genetics and went to grad school for molec bio, so I figured I could slack) and this go around I ended with 15mins. BS really felt like a piece of cake this time around. Back on the May 21 exam it was more orgo than this one was, so I was thankful for that this time. VR, ALMOST finished! I had 2 questions left...actually had my mouse on the answer just about to click when..."TIME IS UP" GAH! I didn't think the passages were that horrible. And for writing, I definitely prefered the topics this time around!

Can't wait for this month to be over!

Do you have to wait for your scores to sign up for a retake??

Like, could I sign up for a Sep3rd exam and then just loose the 300$ if my score on the 30th (aug) is ok?

Do you have to wait for your scores to sign up for a retake??

Like, could I sign up for a Sep3rd exam and then just loose the 300$ if my score on the 30th (aug) is ok?

You can sign up now! Your registration account prob just didn't update till today. I might actually retake on Sept 3rd too. woot.

hey guys, so I also took the MCAT for the first time last friday, and i'll be honest that PS section was definitely a genchem curve ball. i was stuck on that Complex Ion passage for more than 10 minutes, and still ended up guessing on two of them =/. I thought the verbal wasn't too bad except for that chinese porcelain passage (so many different Pronouns to differentiate). BS was definitely on par with practice tests, I think I did best on the BS.

However, something I noticed, after you all said this test was very similar to the may 28th test last year, I did some searching and looked at the time period when those kids who took the same test got their results back. It turns out the PS section curve was quite generous, since it was obviously found by all of us to be way harder than the practice tests. The BS and Verbal curve seemed to be quite similar to the easier AAMC practice tests. It appears everyone pretty much got similar scores to their practice tests, maybe a point or so lower generally. Anyways thought I'd share the insight. hope we all get what we expected !

also, question on the side, is anyone else applying for admission this cycle (fall 2011 admission)?

hey guys, so I also took the MCAT for the first time last friday, and i'll be honest that PS section was definitely a genchem curve ball. i was stuck on that Complex Ion passage for more than 10 minutes, and still ended up guessing on two of them =/. I thought the verbal wasn't too bad except for that chinese porcelain passage (so many different Pronouns to differentiate). BS was definitely on par with practice tests, I think I did best on the BS.

However, something I noticed, after you all said this test was very similar to the may 28th test last year, I did some searching and looked at the time period when those kids who took the same test got their results back. It turns out the PS section curve was quite generous, since it was obviously found by all of us to be way harder than the practice tests. The BS and Verbal curve seemed to be quite similar to the easier AAMC practice tests. It appears everyone pretty much got similar scores to their practice tests, maybe a point or so lower generally. Anyways thought I'd share the insight. hope we all get what we expected !

also, question on the side, is anyone else applying for admission this cycle (fall 2011 admission)?

I'm applying this cycle. I'm writing all the essays for the secondaries for the schools I might apply to right now, so as soon as I get my scores I can submit my school list and then send the secondaries in right away.

She was wearing a Johns Hopkins t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Pretty weak.

I don't get it...why is that weak? I went to good ol Johnny Hop and because there weren't many shops nearby if you needed some extra clothes there was always the bookstore...which had all the items you might want and in every color, except everything said Hopkins lol. I have quite the extensive collections of JHU everything. :laugh:

I've been going through mental chaos this past 2 months and right now I think it's at the worst. I personally don't like this.

2 months before MCAT - hm, I'm getting 10s in sectional MCATs... 35+, no problem!

1 month before MCAT - hm 31 on AAMC 5. Nice, should be able to get 35+ by end of the month.

1 week before MCAT - hm 30 avg on MCAT. isn't this bad? But I think I can pull this one off if I get lucky.

day before MCAT - I got this. I will annihilate this.

Right before MCAT - I'm a rocky. 30+ (at least), here I come!

-things change drastically now-

Right after the VERy 1st question of PS - oh **** this is gonna get rough.

Right after entire PS - avged 12. will be glad to get 10 on this... might have gotten 7. Let's forget and focus on my worst section.

Right after the very 1st verbal passage - dodos. I like you pulp trees. I had rough time with you, hope it won't get any harder. I'm done with you, 10 minutes is enough on u!

Right after reading 2nd verbal passage - hm. porcelain. chinese. europeans. Indians. now What again? I don't understand. What is drake. Spanish. Columbia? wuat? wuuuuuat? 5 minutes into waste? fo rela. this is experimental rite? ok. i'll guess every single one then. cool stuff. not really. I seriously went debacle after this.
After all verbal - I wished I spent no time on porcelain. Might as well spent 5 seconds guess clicking all C's and save that 10 minutes on other passages. Overall.... should get a 5 or something.

After the MCAT - ok... I know I should void. But I doubt I can do any better this year. I will accept my low score and study my arse off for a retake. Expecting 10/5/10 ish.

NOW - I think i guess at least 15 qs for each section. I think im getting 7/3/7 possibly. I'm freaking out. I hate mah life. I wanna die. fo real. I didn't know I was this dumb. AHHHHH pain in my brain.
Its funny when I walked out of the test center I wanted to drive my car off a bridge. I think I calmed down when I got home... took my mind of it for a few days. Now, a few days later I'm feeling a little bit better, but every time I feel better about how I did, I mentally keep reverting back to the fact that I probably missed more than what I guessed on and then I want to die again. I'm about 99% positive that I got less than an 8 on VR and likely less than an 11 on BS. I have no idea what the curve on PS is going to be like. So I'm not even going to guess. If I don't do well on this I'm not even going to bother sending in secondaries and just apply next year.

I did one TPR VR passage today...and I only got 3/5 right...I am so unmotivated...I seriously didn't to anything productive today, other than that TPR passage, and even then I wasn't focusing 100% on it..so I kind of wasted it... asdfhjkl;...I need more verbal practice ahhhh

Time to buckle-down again for some awesome MCAT studying :rolleyes:...

@kehlsh and UnclePhil, I'm sure you guys rocked the test and will get around ur AAMC averages. I have no right to say this since I voided, but don't worry about ur scores until they're staring at you in the face. The MCAT is a mind**** even after the test is over, so don't let it get to you guys. For now, just enjoy your summer as much as you guys can!

There seems to be a trend here that is actually making me feel a lot better about my test.
I didn't even finish the PS (which I always finish with time to spare) 10 Avg.

I'm usually a consistent 10 on VR and didnt find this one overly challenging except for Porcelain which made no sense.

BS was ok but its usually my worst section by far because I never actually learned molecular bio b4 my 9 week EK study course. 8 avg

My point here is we all got destroyed by the PS thought VR was alrite and BS to be fair. Which means the curve will reflect this so don't stress your not going down 5+ points as some of you have insanely suggested from the AAMC. It was a hard test but its the MCAT its supposed to make you feel like **** otherwise everyone would be a doctor. Ive read countless stories of people thinking they did terrible and ending up doing fine.
Its funny cuz I went for an interview with a professor and the one thing she said was that all the pre-meds were super nervous and lacked confidence. Confidence is the key to life guys and when you've got someone putting there life in your hands your gonna need that confidence so stay strong if you want to be a doctor bad enough you will be eventually and no one test is gonna stop you.

P.S. @ TightRayShone
You may have done fantastic on your MCAT you may even get into a good med school and make a good amount of money ,but when your sitting there in your old age wondering why your so unhappy with your lonely life itll be because even though you may be smart no body likes you.

Does anyone else not remember a damn thing from the test? Not a single question! I have been trying to remember a question since the test but i cant remember any for the life of me. All i remember of the passages even is the porcelain one but i don't remember the questions, all I remember from that passage is thinking f*** I'm screwed. I had to guess on like 5 question of verbal. do you guys think itll effect my verbal score that dramatically..assuming I did ok on the rest of the test?

i also took mcat on july 30. do i get my score from the mcat testing history system? also, when is the soonest the scores could be released?

thanks.

Does anyone else not remember a damn thing from the test? Not a single question! I have been trying to remember a question since the test but i cant remember any for the life of me. All i remember of the passages even is the porcelain one but i don't remember the questions, all I remember from that passage is thinking f*** I'm screwed. I had to guess on like 5 question of verbal. do you guys think itll effect my verbal score that dramatically..assuming I did ok on the rest of the test?
If the curve is anything like the AAMCs and you guessed on only 5, if you got everything else right, you probably still got like a 12-13.

I bought this 'asking the right questions' book for improving critical thinking after reading in another thread that it helped some people raise their VR/science scores.

I'm a little skeptical about how reading this tiny book is going to help, but I know my crappy scores are because of bad critical reading/thinking skills (reading 'actively'), and NOT because of a lack of knowledge/content.

I guess we'll see how it goes...

I bought this 'asking the right questions' book for improving critical thinking after reading in another thread that it helped some people raise their VR/science scores.

I'm a little skeptical about how reading this tiny book is going to help, but I know my crappy scores are because of bad critical reading/thinking skills (reading 'actively'), and NOT because of a lack of knowledge/content.

I guess we'll see how it goes...

hope it helps :)