The Lounge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sunny123 said:
^ We got one desi in the CFL over here: Bobby Singh, BC Lions

And, there is Manny Malhotra in the NHL. There are a lot of desis that are in minor league hockey squads here in Canada. Some of them are NHL hopefuls.

talking about desis in sports here in north america
I can think of two people mohini bhardwaj who was in the usa gymnastic team in athens
and emanuel sandhu the Canadian men's figure skating champion
sandhu-sp.jpg
g-bhardwaj-bb-AndyLyons200x330.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I totally forgot about Emmanuel. Did you read the article in the Toronto Star, about how he was only allowed to see his father (who is Punjabi btw) only at competitions, and in secret as well. He had a messed up life, which he attributes to his poor performances. And as for Mohini... I was proud that a desi was on the gymnastics scene.

How was everyone's day today?? I just got my lab cancelled today, so I'll be spending my free time in the library doing research. Anyone see Stallone's new show, "The Contender"? The fights seemed pretty realistic, but the whole tasks were pointless, AND that whole press conference thing was sooo fake. Stick with the boxing, thats it.

Today in my Hindi class, some people gave a presentation on the movie "Baghban". I've never seen the movie before, but from the few minutes I saw, it wasn't all that bad. The point of the presentation was "kinship" and "familial relationships". What would you guys do when your parents get old? Put them in a nursing home, care for them yourselves, what?? I realize everyone would have numerous circumstances, but I think the children should make an effort to take care of those who raised you. I've even had this talk with my parents, and they told me not to worry, cause they be heading to the Himalayas in their old age.

Sunny..i don't get it..how...where are you attending a hindi class??
I haven't heard of classes like these...except i think some schools like yale and harvard have sanskrit classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
^ at my university, York University, they recently started up a South Asian program (and you could get a degree in South Asian studies). I took the Post-Colonial Literature course (and it was awesome), and then this year, I joined the "Hindi as a Medium of Cultural Expression" course, which is also awesome. I never signed up for the Hindi courses, couldn't fit it into my schedule, but I would have, cause I figure leanring it won't harm me. Both of my profs (husband and wife) are Indian (Bengali and Punjabi respectively), and they are working really hard in setting up collaborations with Indian institutions (specifically in Delhi and Bombay), so students can go and broaden their educational experience. And Sanskrit won't be offered until next year or the year after that (or so I heard).

That is awesome....so i guess where u live the community consists of a lot of indians maybe?? Is that why u have these programs? Well i'm not that lucky....I don't see indian faces( other than my family) for months..or until I go to New jersey.... I am the only Indian at my college, and was the only indian at my high school. Which is y I find this forum fun to read through. I love my frnds that are not indian.... they are great..i absolutely couldn't do without them...but i miss having that one Indian frnd...its very different... i didn't realize it before...but it is... And i would have loved to take these courses instead of some of the ones i took... would have been fun...I'm sure u r enjoying urself...
Bengali married to a punjabi.... that is so sweet ... must double the fun... I love punjabi food and bengali sweets ...yum...

York university has more student groups than I can imagine.... Looks like a :thumbup: place to be.... :)

^ Well, let's just say that desis are no longer the minority here hehe :D

I chose to take these courses because I needed to take something that would be fun, interesting, and would teach me something about my culture. I know how it feels to be the only Indian at school (I went to a Catholic school from JK-grade 5, but then got kicked out because I wasn't Catholic.. go figure, it took them that long to do that hehe). There were some spanish people in my school, and I always thought that they were Indian, because they were brown too. York isn't bad, it is for bio, but is good for arts, mathematics, and kinesiology.

PS. Bengali sweets are too die for.... ;)

sunny123 said:
^ Well, let's just say that desis are no longer the minority here hehe :D

I chose to take these courses because I needed to take something that would be fun, interesting, and would teach me something about my culture. I know how it feels to be the only Indian at school (I went to a Catholic school from JK-grade 5, but then got kicked out because I wasn't Catholic.. go figure, it took them that long to do that hehe). There were some spanish people in my school, and I always thought that they were Indian, because they were brown too. York isn't bad, it is for bio, but is good for arts, mathematics, and kinesiology.

PS. Bengali sweets are too die for.... ;)

Stupid Catholics, this is one thing I don't like about the US/Canada.
Oh well, I am glad that you are learning more about our culture. If possible, take Sanskrit, awesome language. I try to learn a few things here and there on my own. It is a beautiful language - religious literature was written in this language as we all know and it feels great to know what the Priest is saying / what the "Shlokas" mean. A lot of wisdom in there :D

hopeful05 said:
Ok....here's one ;)
Love marriage vs. arranged marriage
What are your ideas on these?

u gotta discount the fact that altho luv is an option (preferred), might not work out for everyone, try as hard they might??!! ....ask me, :( +pissed+

congratulations to madhuri dixit for becoming a mother of her second son
I am wondering why she is moving so often
when she came to usa after her ARRANGED MARRAIGE, she was in california, than she moved to florida and now she gave birth to her second son in denver-colorado
I guess her husband does not have a stable job
and I also wonder if she is happy to be in USA after all that glamorous life in bombay,and wheather she has adjusted to the north american lifestyle
1dix.gif

parasiteatwork said:

That is exactly why it is a good thing! Do you realize how great of a role model she is for Muslim/minority girls???
Do you realize how more conservative generally Muslims are about girls getting into sports or anything else for that matter?
What the hell, someone says she's a Muslim and people are so???? :rolleyes:

Premedtomed said:
That is exactly why it is a good thing! Do you realize how great of a role model she is for Muslim/minority girls???
Do you realize how more conservative generally Muslims are about girls getting into sports or anything else for that matter?
What the hell, someone says she's a Muslim and people are so???? :rolleyes:
Yeah!!! So what....D u think it is easier for other non-muslim women....sorry,but this conservative thing is there everywhere in India...nothing to do with being a muslim.....

Members don't see this ad :)
parasiteatwork said:
Yeah!!! So what....D u think it is easier for other non-muslim women....sorry,but this conservative thing is there everywhere in India...nothing to do with being a muslim.....

Ok Amma point taken, it makes India look good nevertheless :D

Premedtomed said:
Stupid Catholics, this is one thing I don't like about the US/Canada.
Oh well, I am glad that you are learning more about our culture. If possible, take Sanskrit, awesome language. I try to learn a few things here and there on my own. It is a beautiful language - religious literature was written in this language as we all know and it feels great to know what the Priest is saying / what the "Shlokas" mean. A lot of wisdom in there :D
Well, I can't call them stupid, it was just that there was politics involved in me attending that school. Originally, the principal of the school was from Goa, but when he left, and this Italian lady took over, that was the end of my sentance at that school. I left behind a lot of my friends, whom I had grown up since we were babies, so I was really sad and scared to go to another school. The principal however had the nerve to tell me that I could come back when I reached highschool. the only good thing about leaving was not having to walk to their church almost every week. Their masses are so boring, and they didn't allow me to go up and recieve the bread and wine, when all the other kids went up. I was the only one sitting on the benches, while the whole congregation went up. At first I felt embarassed, but then my friends didn't care too much, and they even brought me an extra bread to eat.

Anyways ppl, I am currently researching the problems with eating farmed salmon (got a presentation next Tuesday). I have just come across some interesting facts. The most improtant is that there are high levels of toxins within these salmon, and females are prone to developing breast cancer by consuming these fish, AND, when pregnant, their children develop low IQs due to the ingestion of PCBs, DDTs, and PBDEs.

Wichitan said:
u gotta discount the fact that altho luv is an option (preferred), might not work out for everyone, try as hard they might??!! ....ask me, :( +pissed+

You are right Wichitan.... but we have all suffered from heart-break ...or even unrequited love...love is painful...but if it wasn't so hard we wouldn't cherish it...the worst thing that can happen to love is to take it for granted...
either ways....heartbreak is called so for a reason... the thing is to never give up .. ;) if it doesn't happen before then it can happen after the wedding bells ring....some poeple completely fall in love with each other after an arranged marriage....some just learn to love the other with time....

Man, I just got an e-mail from my childhood friend I couldn't meet while I was in India. Told me he had a girlfriend two months back and she was hot! This is one of my closest friends ! I am like , man I have been f**** here for five years while my friends back home are having fun and having gfs.
Here I am discussing social issues :mad:

What a life ! :mad:

Premedtomed said:
Man, I just got an e-mail from my childhood friend I couldn't meet while I was in India. Told me he had a girlfriend two months back and she was hot! This is one of my closest friends ! I am like , man I have been f**** here for five years while my friends back home are having fun and having gfs.
Here I am discussing social issues :mad:

What a life ! :mad:

chin up premedtomed, i can bet dat ur pal back home thinks the same of u....grass is always greener on da other side! :thumbup:

hopeful05 said:
You are right Wichitan.... but we have all suffered from heart-break ...or even unrequited love...love is painful...but if it wasn't so hard we wouldn't cherish it...the worst thing that can happen to love is to take it for granted...
either ways....heartbreak is called so for a reason... the thing is to never give up .. ;) if it doesn't happen before then it can happen after the wedding bells ring....some poeple completely fall in love with each other after an arranged marriage....some just learn to love the other with time....

u cast thy words of wisdom....but the sad ol' scars on my fragile li'l heart dont seem to agree...... :( :( :(

Wichitan said:
u cast thy words of wisdom....but the sad ol' scars on my fragile li'l heart dont seem to agree...... :( :( :(
aaw..wichitan...there are tons of other fish in the sea for you.

the only way to catch em is if you're open to it though...so cheer up :D

Wichitan said:

1hotaartichoke said:
aaw..wichitan...there are tons of other fish in the sea for you.

the only way to catch em is if you're open to it though...so cheer up

Well said 1 hotaartichoke.... totally agree ;)

Wichitan said:

I know how u feel and y u would say that.... I've held on to a crush i'd had since 9th grade....I just can't stop thinking abt him even though he is in India...far away and I haven't seen him in 4 years ...but it still hurts :( ...maybe becoz even with all the distance we haven't cut things off...he's still one of my best friends....and when I email him... i still will sign it with a--Love you miss you etc.... SOmetimes I think my feelings for him will never go away.... its been what...7-8 years... :wow: longest crush ever huh.. I ofcourse I don't think its just a crush...<< what is a crush anyways>> but i'm 20 years old --so can I say that I'm in love with him :rolleyes: ?? I don't know... :confused:
All I know is that even with all th ehurt it causes...I would never hope that it never happened...because...evertime I get his email.... I still get that funny..fuzzy feeling...and its the best feeling in the world... ;)

Wichitan said:
chin up premedtomed, i can bet dat ur pal back home thinks the same of u....grass is always greener on da other side! :thumbup:

Yeah you are probably right. it 's just that I have seen so many people that turn weird after living here for many years as their desires are left unsatisfied and they end up being mean to others/jealous os others and what not.

I mean this is just not freakin healthy! It has come to a point where even my parents share my pain!

But then it is better being optimistic than cry.
Oh well Third Eye Blind :Semi- charmed Life
Rock on! Not literally I mean, I wish :(
May be I should ...

Premedtomed said:
Yeah you are probably right. it 's just that I have seen so many people that turn weird after living here for many years as their desires are left unsatisfied and they end up being mean to others/jealous os others and what not.

I mean this is just not freakin healthy!
PHP:
It has come to a point where even my parents share my pain!
But then it is better being optimistic than cry.
Oh well Third Eye Blind :Semi- charmed Life
Rock on! Not literally I mean, I wish :(
May be I should ...
Your parents share your pain.... :eek: Thats serious...you really do need some help.....Go..fall in love...get a gf :love: .....enjoy!!!

hopeful05 said:
I know how u feel and y u would say that.... I've held on to a crush i'd had since 9th grade....I just can't stop thinking abt him even though he is in India...far away and I haven't seen him in 4 years ...but it still hurts :( ...maybe becoz even with all the distance we haven't cut things off...he's still one of my best friends....and when I email him... i still will sign it with a--Love you miss you etc.... SOmetimes I think my feelings for him will never go away.... its been what...7-8 years... :wow: longest crush ever huh.. I ofcourse I don't think its just a crush...<< what is a crush anyways>> but i'm 20 years old --so can I say that I'm in love with him :rolleyes: ?? I don't know... :confused:
All I know is that even with all th ehurt it causes...I would never hope that it never happened...because...evertime I get his email.... I still get that funny..fuzzy feeling...and its the best feeling in the world... ;)
Hey,No offense but I really find your story very weird...HOW CAN SOMEONE FALL IN LOVE AT AN AGE OF 13 OR 14...Its just not possible...And if u had a crush on him,How can it still be there after so many years...AMAZING!!! :)

parasiteatwork said:
Your parents share your pain.... :eek: Thats serious...you really do need some help.....Go..fall in love...get a gf :love: .....enjoy!!!

I know :(
I have an older brother who just got married in India (lucky him he found a very good/cool girl who was studying here but from India) Now he's on his own and my parents have finally realized how horrible it has been for me.

Thanks parasite , I am going to try and find a gf

parasiteatwork said:
Hey,No offense but I really find your story very weird...HOW CAN SOMEONE FALL IN LOVE AT AN AGE OF 13 OR 14...Its just not possible...And if u had a crush on him,How can it still be there after so many years...AMAZING!!! :)
Man.... I had a highschool crush, but then I saw her smoking a cigarette and that turned me off (too bad it took me four years to realize that one). Then I saw her last year a couple of times, and she wasn't the "beauty" I thought she was.

parasiteatwork said:
GOOD LUCK with that!!!! :)
Yeah !!!
It sounds silly but somebody of my age (21) and situation (medicine as career confirmed) shouldn't be thinking about anything else :D

Premedtomed said:
Yeah !!!
It sounds silly but somebody of my age (21) and situation (medicine as career confirmed) shouldn't be thinking about anything else :D
Oh my God....u r ONLY 21...n the way you were sounding...i thought you must be around 35 or something.....n now, I find that part funny about your parents realising how difficult it has been for u...for 21 yrs....yeah sure :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

parasiteatwork said:
Oh my God....u r ONLY 21...n the way you were sounding...i thought you must be around 35 or something.....n now, I find that part funny about your parents realising how difficult it has been for u...for 21 yrs....yeah sure :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh yes parasite ji . India me life was a lot of fun. My parents aren't conservative type and I am a mischeivous type who is outgoing.
It feels terrible to be stuck, getting nowhere. I am 21 (1983)

sunny123 said:
^ Don't cry, dry your eye.

yes gobor (gubbar) ;)

The thing is that there are very few Indians where I live, so little fun.
For med school next year I will moving to a different state and a big city and big university.
So more "gobor" stuff, I am excited :laugh:

parasiteatwork said:

No offense taken....you don't have to believe me for it to be true...and IF U READ MY POST CAREFULLY....u'll see...I didn't say it was love.... I don't know what it is.... You think I don't know its wierd how after soooooooo long and with sooo much distance...and lesser communication with time, he's still sooooooo special to me!! I can't explain it...I can't name the feeling...all I can do is acknowledge that it's there..... He still means the world to me...he was special since the moment I met him.... and I've had other crushes after him...those guys came and went....but I could never let go of him... he's one of those people who being a million miles away ...still gets me... and its not like I don't know him...we've been friends since 6th grade!! AND Hey!! it's not like I dream about marrying him or anything.... I am not a hopeless romantic or anything.... I still chk out other hot guys ;) .... Frankly speaking... that part of not finding anyone who can be as special as him scares me.... but i'm hoping someday i'll find someone who will be.....
AND I am soooooooooooooo regretting putting one of the most touchy issues of my life out there in a forum.... i haven't talked abt this with anyone.... for..ever!! I guess becoz i think people will assume i'm crazy...
Instead...i'm just as confused as them... I don't know what it is... But i'm not someone who sits in my room and carves out the guys' name on the walls :laugh: :laugh: .... No cave paitings in my room...!! I've taken it as something that is just there...i don't do anything abt it...I'm just waiting for the next special person...who can be there for me.... :)

All right, so tonight we decided to go out to eat, and here's how it all began (I took all these photos myself, and went a little digicam crazy :D ).....

left at sunset:
DSC00343.jpg

headed for downtown:
DSC00357.jpg

sort've sped through the streets:
DSC00385.jpg

Headed for the BCE Place:
DSC00408.jpg

But, this place was full:
DSC00395.jpg

So, we headed for Gerrard Street (aka Little India):
DSC00467.jpg

We saw this place:
DSC00480.jpg

But then saw this one instead:
DSC00475.jpg

So they welcomed us inside:
DSC00474.jpg

After we ate, my mom wanted to do some window shopping:
DSC00477.jpg

Then, we headed home:
DSC00437.jpg

:cool:

^ Did you notice what restaurant we went to???? ;)

georgie boy
that's awesome,
nice pics, and you went to my fav location- gerrard street
I had always loved the toronto skyline , it looks so gracious with that overwhelming CN Tower looking over Lake Ontario
CN tower with skydome are the penis and vagina of toronto respectively:laugh:
Image15.jpg

here are some of the pics I took when I lived in ottawa- the capital of canada
canadian parliament
parliament.jpeg

The Rideau Canal
rideaucanal.jpeg

The O-Train(which takes you from no where to no where)
DSC00046.JPG

Bike Path alongside the Rideau Canal
bikepath.jpeg

The Tulip Festival
DSC00100.JPG

Mooney's Bay as seen in Summer time
DSC00091.JPG

and the same Mooney's Bay as seen in winter
DSC00024.JPG

nimeshshingala said:
georgie boy
that's awesome,
nice pics, and you went to my fav location- gerrard street
I had always loved the toronto skyline , it looks so gracious with that overwhelming CN Tower looking over Lake Ontario
CN tower with skydome are the penis and vagina of toronto respectively:laugh:
Image15.jpg
Nimesh, it is no longer called the SkyDOme, cause Rogers bought the complex, so it's new name is the "Rogers Centre".

Glad everyone enjoyed the pics. :D

sunny123 said:
Nimesh, it is no longer called the SkyDOme, cause Rogers bought the complex, so it's new name is the "Rogers Centre".

Glad everyone enjoyed the pics. :D

thanks for the information, yes I was aware of rogers taking over the skydome,
it maybe called " rogers centre" now but torontonians will find it hard to call it Rogers centre and will continue to call it "skydome" as it is one of the famous landmarks of toronto,(home of blue jays)

BTW Nimesh, what camera are you using there? I really like the first two pics in your Ottawa post (Rideau and Parliament Hill).

Your son looked scared when posing in front of the tulips. :D

sunny123 said:
BTW Nimesh, what camera are you using there? I really like the first two pics in your Ottawa post (Rideau and Parliament Hill).

Your son looked scared when posing in front of the tulips. :D

yes sunny
the first two pics were actually taken with my friend's camera, I don't remember the brand but the other pics were taken by my camcorder(they had an additional slot for a digital camera but it is only 1mega pixel in resolution so not that great)
my son was not scared, he was upset because I think I didnt buy him something he wanted :laugh: :laugh: