The Lounge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
THE LOUNGE
ok guys...I think we should leave the indian pic page for pics....anyways that thread has like 35 pages!!...Lets just use this Lounge for general chatting :)
Sound :thumbup: ??

Members don't see this ad.

hopeful05 said:
THE LOUNGE
ok guys...I think we should leave the indian pic page for pics....anyways that thread has like 35 pages!!...Lets just use this Lounge for general chatting :)
Sound :thumbup: ??

hm... good idea.. let's see how well this works....

This lounge seems dead. I'll get it started..... How many weddings have you all been to? As for me? None, zip, zero, nada... :p I guess in a couple of years, I'll be invited to my friends, and then I'll get to say I've been through the craziness of attending a wedding, but for now, I live vicariously through everyone else. I've only been to too after-wedding parties in India, and there was sooo much food I thought I went to heaven.

Members don't see this ad :)
thankx for getting it started sunny...yeah weddings are such fun..i've been to a couple...the dancing is my favorite part...in the end my feet are ready to fall off...but i'm still not ready to stop.... my parents are planning for my sis's marriage...so i'm soooooo excited about that.... i'm going to take on the planning coz i love that.... but i also get senti towards the end...when my cousins got married i cried out rivers.. but in all it is a wonderful exp. with frnds and family... usually its such a happy time..it brings out the best in everyone...
My fav moment - watching my aunt (with not a very flattering figure) run around with the grooms shoes....in front of all these adults... we all were like young girls and guys...but she said she had to get some fun...so she got into the game...it was hilarious....she kinda fell on an old lady :eek: --who shook her head :scared: and looked at here like she was crazy ....!! :laugh:

Ok....here's one ;)
Love marriage vs. arranged marriage
What are your ideas on these?

At first I was totally pro-arranged (when I was a kid), then when I hit university, I told my parents to butt-out :D. In all actuality, everyone gets married to the person they are supposed to get married too. No matter how much planning you do (ie. get the person of the same language, religion, caste, etc.) it may not always work out. I don't mind the whole choose your own partner aka love-marriage, but I also understand where the parents are coming from with the arranged concept. The family is looking out for your best interest, and so they try to do as much homework for you as necessary. However, only you can make the final choice, and if things don't go right, you can't blame it on someone else.

hows that ;) ?

hopeful05 said:
Ok....here's one ;)

Love...

For those of you who voted "love", are your parents cool with that? Most desi parents aren't liberal enough to allow their kids to actually make their own decisions (always worried about what the freakin community will say).

sunny123 said:
For those of you who voted "love", are your parents cool with that? Most desi parents aren't liberal enough to allow their kids to actually make their own decisions (always worried about what the freakin community will say).

I am sure you must have read this story
it is so sad
click here

sunny123 said:
yeah,
my parents know that i will choose who i marry. they of course, will have to approve more or less, but at this point...my parents would be happy with anyone who is indian...

:laugh:

That is a sad story. I think some indian parents are okay with love marriages but if their son/daughter gets "too old" and hasn't found anyone then it's time to start the introducing, etc. How old is "too old" to be unmarried for girls and guys?

nimeshshingala said:
it is so sad
click here
Quite sad indeed. Have you seen this documentary on the CBC The Murdered Bride? Also, about a girl from BC, and when she went to India, she fell in love with this guy in Punjab, but the parents never approved. The mother made fun of him for being too dark. When she eloped with the guy, and the mother and her uncle found ou, the uncle organized the murder of his niece. Extremely good documentary. Too bad there aren't a lot more people who get the CBC channel.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
Quite sad indeed. Have you seen this documentary on the CBC The Murdered Bride? Also, about a girl from BC, and when she went to India, she fell in love with this guy in Punjab, but the parents never approved. The mother made fun of him for being too dark. When she eloped with the guy, and the mother and her uncle found ou, the uncle organized the murder of his niece. Extremely good documentary. Too bad there aren't a lot more people who get the CBC channel.

yes georgie
I had seen that documentary on CBC
I think the americans don't watch CBC that often, in fact even many of the canadians don't like CBC because they think it is a blatant waste of their tax dollars
but that documentary on the murdered bride was very good and it made me so furious and sad

rxgal8 said:
That is a sad story. I think some indian parents are okay with love marriages but if their son/daughter gets "too old" and hasn't found anyone then it's time to start the introducing, etc. How old is "too old" to be unmarried for girls and guys?
For girls? I can't really say. One of my friends (Sikh, Punjabi) said she expected to be married by 24-25. Another friend (Gujrati, Hindu) says 30 is too old for a girl to get married. One thing though, people are rushing to get married as if there is a shortage of brides and grooms. India is overpopulated, and there ar many fine looking people out there. Jus because they don't all attend a certain cultural function, doesn't mean they are not there.

I think the "too old" age is being pushed further now since it takes longer to get done with school. Like instead of 24 for girls, it might be 27 (depending on the community also, like guju, punjabi, etc). But overall 30 is still the cutoff for guys, IMO.

About the rush to get married, I once heard an aunty say that "you have to marry early cuz then the good guys are gone if you wait" haha we have a big enough population, I doubt there will be any shortages :laugh:

The CBC news clip was so sad! I can't believe some parents actually would act like they own their kids... i mean i know someone who cut off and never spoke to their daughter again because she went off to live with her bf...but that is understandable---if your ideals don't match its hard and painful to fake getting along....but these stories abt murder ...this was something i'd never heard off...and frankly they are horrifying....I feel blessed that in my parents I have two very understanding friends...my mom is so cool and laid back (exept when she sees a messy room or kitchen--then we all rush for cover)...and my dad is really open minded too...In my family we ( me and my sis) talk about our marriages in the context that we will be choosing the guys.... they never had a problem...maybe its because of the way my mom and dad met....it was to be an arranged marriage....and you know how the guys family goes to see the girl before...well as my dad was leaving with his family, my mom stuck her tongue out at them :p , and my dad saw it....so after that he just decided that this is it...i want to marry her....there were other reasons ofcourse...but their marriage has been a fun one...they talk like friends among themselves and with us.... they are so compatible...its not even funny...my mom is the kind who'll jump into the car and go anywhere anytime...and so as children...we always had these spontaneous unplanned trips and picnics....it was fun..in all...There are arguments ofcourse...but..its all a part of it....i think my view of marriage is so diff. because of the way my parents marriage is.... which is why when i hear all these terror stories abt marriages breaking up ( ten days ago my cousin was badly battered by her husband after a 5 year long marriage and a child, and now she's getting a divorce),,,or people taking advantage, all the politics btw families and telling lies....its so scary...i wanna be sure i choose the right one... :)

To add to what Tina said, I think the stories that make it to the news are only exceptions of course. Indian parents are becoming more liberal now, compared to how it was in the 70s (for example) when arranged marriages were generally more accepted and marriages occurred within the community only. Almost all the Indian weddings I've been to in the past few years have been love marriages :love: (or at least arranged-love marriages :thumbup: )

why is it that some parents only like to get their children married into the same community? can someone explain me that?

sunny123 said:
For girls? I can't really say. One of my friends (Sikh, Punjabi) said she expected to be married by 24-25. Another friend (Gujrati, Hindu) says 30 is too old for a girl to get married. One thing though, people are rushing to get married as if there is a shortage of brides and grooms. India is overpopulated, and there ar many fine looking people out there. Jus because they don't all attend a certain cultural function, doesn't mean they are not there.

lol..i dunno..im kinda ready to get married around maybe 26-27..or at least be in serious relationshp/engaged/living together :D

sunny123 said:
This lounge seems dead. I'll get it started..... How many weddings have you all been to? As for me? None, zip, zero, nada... :p I guess in a couple of years, I'll be invited to my friends, and then I'll get to say I've been through the craziness of attending a wedding, but for now, I live vicariously through everyone else. I've only been to too after-wedding parties in India, and there was sooo much food I thought I went to heaven.
I hve been to loads of Indian weddings....and I have to say that I do love it....What I like about Indian weddings is the food ofcourse,the attention the bride/groom gets.....those long rituals....the clothes :cool: .....n food again.....wow!!!I love weddings!!!

hopeful05 said:
Ok....here's one ;)
Love but it should be approved by my family.....I can just never marry a guy whom my family doesnt likes :eek: ....That would be really really sad.
But I guess in the end its all a big risky affair....and as pairs are all made in heaven you never know whom you have been matched with :( Its all your luck :luck:

nimeshshingala said:
it is so sad
click here
Its very sad but such things I guess keep happening in India all the time ,especially in the rural part....and i believe nothing can be done about it coz thats how somw people are :oops: .

rxgal8 said:
I guess the only time you are too old for marriage is when nobody wants to marry you....otherwise you are always young to be married.
And as it is,if you leave the children part out of a marriage...then it hardly matters what age do u marry in...whats more important is you should be happy,content and satisfied with your partner. :p

kvip said:
why is it that some parents only like to get their children married into the same community? can someone explain me that?
I think thats becoz its easier to live with someone who has been broughtup just like you.
In India,there r a lot of regional differences..the way they cook,live,dress,talk(the language)etc etc...n I guess if you r going for an arranged marriage its always better to go for someone with whom u can relate to in some manner.I agree thats not the case in love marriages becoz there u r in love with a person regardless of his caste/creed or any of such stuff....

parasiteatwork said:
I guess the only time you are too old for marriage is when nobody wants to marry you....otherwise you are always young to be married.
And as it is,if you leave the children part out of a marriage...then it hardly matters what age do u marry in...whats more important is you should be happy,content and satisfied with your partner. :p
haha...yah i agree...but by "too old" I meant, at what age do parents start worrying and pressuring the kids to find someone/marry :p
I would say that it's safe as long as you're not 30 yet (and that pretty much pertains to almost any other culture, because of the children aspect)

Does anyone know exactly the different kinds of vegetarians there are in India? I mean, I have some friends that consider eggs meat (understandable), others however do not. Also, there are those who consider onions as meat.

confused.

I think some vegetarians who don't eat onions, probably don't eat garlic as well. This goes for all foods that are grown underground. I always wondered why though. Maybe because in the process of actually getting to the onions, garlic, potatoes, etc you end up killing ants, worms, etc. I dont know :confused:
Anyone who knows why?

parasiteatwork said:
I hve been to loads of Indian weddings....and I have to say that I do love it....What I like about Indian weddings is the food ofcourse,the attention the bride/groom gets.....those long rituals....the clothes :cool: .....n food again.....wow!!!I love weddings!!!

Agreed Miss Parasite!

rxgal8 said:
haha...yah i agree...but by "too old" I meant, at what age do parents start worrying and pressuring the kids to find someone/marry :p
I would say that it's safe as long as you're not 30 yet (and that pretty much pertains to almost any other culture, because of the children aspect)
Yaa I guess 30 is the age around which people consider u to be old but i would still say-'its better to be single n be happy than to be married but unhappy'.Dont u guys agree??? :p

rxgal8 said:
I think some vegetarians who don't eat onions, probably don't eat garlic as well. This goes for all foods that are grown underground. I always wondered why though. Maybe because in the process of actually getting to the onions, garlic, potatoes, etc you end up killing ants, worms, etc. I dont know :confused:
Anyone who knows why?
Its the jains n some brahmins who dont eat garlic n onions n stuff like that....i have a friend who doesnt eat all this n when i asked her why...she said,"its becoz while cooking all this stuff it smells just like MEAT"I have no idea where she got that from????But thats the truth!!!! :)

The only part I dont like about Indian weddings (some of them) is:
DOWRY SYSTEM .....sad but its still going on!!!

parasiteatwork said:
The only part I dont like about Indian weddings (some of them) is:
DOWRY SYSTEM .....sad but its still going on!!!

Shocking! BTW what time is it in Romania? Just curious :laugh:

Sunny you ask some really good questions. I am very impressed.

The other thing I don't like about our weddings is that a lot of food gets wasted.

Only if I could eat twice my normal capacity :idea:

Premedtomed said:
Shocking! BTW what time is it in Romania? Just curious :laugh::

Curiosity killed the cat :D but anyways, its 8.15pm now
Premedtomed said:
Sunny you ask some really good questions. I am very impressed. :

:thumbup:
Premedtomed said:
The other thing I don't like about our weddings is that a lot of food gets wasted.

:laugh: :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
Shocking! BTW what time is it in Romania? Just curious :laugh:

Sunny you ask some really good questions. I am very impressed.

Glad everyone enjoys my thought-provoking mind (I am really like this in person too :D )

As for the whole dowry thing, anyone remember the woman who made headlines around the world? It was Nisha Sharma: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030525/herworld.htm
nisha_sharma0515.jpg

Her father had a dowry of two of everything (television sets, washing machines, you name it, he got it). Then when the groom's side asked for some more cash, Nisha stood up. The whole dowry thing should not be an issue in the present, however, for some people it is. Families see marriage of more as a business transaction, rather than a unification of families. I believe that both families should split the costs for the wedding, rather than the bride's family giving close to their entire savings. Please correct me if I was wrong on this part, cause I really haven't been to a wedding, and haven't actually seen a dowry up front ;) .

talking about indian women
what do you think about this new tennis sensation sania mirza
she has become the most popular sports person in india after the overrated cricketers
mir3266i.jpg

Never heard of her, but if she is coming to the Rogers AT&T Cup in Toronto this summer, then I will definitely check her out (not in that way of course ;) ). I wish her all the best, and will at least give Indians someone to cheer for. Nimesh have you been to the Tennis Masters series here? I volunteer there, cause it is held annualy on my university campus. That is the one thing during the summer which I look forward to volunteering at.

sunny123 said:
Never heard of her, but if she is coming to the Rogers AT&T Cup in Toronto this summer, then I will definitely check her out (not in that way of course ;) ). I wish her all the best, and will at least give Indians someone to cheer for. Nimesh have you been to the Tennis Masters series here? I volunteer there, cause it is held annualy on my university campus. That is the one thing during the summer which I look forward to volunteering at.

wow
that is a very envious job, what type of job are you doing at the Tennis Masters???
sania mirza has definately the potential
did you open that link in my post,
did you see the figures ??
Annual income of the Sisters Williams:

Venus: Rs 61.88 crore,
Serena: Rs 34.1 crore.
(All figures approx)

Worth Rs 61 crore by 2007?
Meet $ania Mirza.

India being a huge market, you get rich quickly if you become a celebrity over there

:eek: ..$$$$$$$..wow.... But she's working hard...and i think she's cute too....I know that in India it is tough to go for sports...because studies is everything there.... I have a friend... awesome tennis player... but he had to miss his classes and tests all the time... and every professor just thought he was dumb and made fun of him.... things like -"Oh! look who decided to come to class today and give us a chance to praise him" and call him champ sarcastically..... Its because some people still think that if your brain doesn't work in class--- only those people go for sports...but sports are hard...the practice that goes into it takes alot of determination... especially ..its so easy to give up after losses...but it takes a strong person to move past those and stil work with the same enthusiasm..... :thumbup: to all the sports-men and - women :thumbup: :thumbup:

nimeshshingala said:
talking about indian women
what do you think about this new tennis sensation sania mirza
she has become the most popular sports person in india after the overrated cricketers
mir3266i.jpg
nice

sunny123 said:

Dude she's gorgeous first of all. More importantly, very talented and a great role model. Plus she's a Muslim. A Muslim girl enjoying the benefits of democracy and making it so big is truly a great achievement.
Although like Russell Peters said, we aren't very athletic :laugh: :laugh:
This is due to poor infrastructure but a good joke nevertheless

nimeshshingala said:
wow
that is a very envious job, what type of job are you doing at the Tennis Masters???
sania mirza has definately the potential
did you open that link in my post,
did you see the figures ??
Annual income of the Sisters Williams:

Venus: Rs 61.88 crore,
Serena: Rs 34.1 crore.
(All figures approx)

Worth Rs 61 crore by 2007?
Meet $ania Mirza.

India being a huge market, you get rich quickly if you become a celebrity over there
I've been responsible for the computer services aspect (running of internet cafes and also the media links). This year, I want to get into the drug testing side. I wanna rat out anyone that cheats! :D

Premedtomed said:
Dude she's gorgeous first of all. More importantly, very talented and a great role model. Plus she's a Muslim. A Muslim girl enjoying the benefits of democracy and making it so big is truly a great achievement.
We are better at wholesaling things ;)

Anyone read this on msn news?

Smelly readers banned from California library
07/03/2005 1:42:00 PM
Printer-friendly page

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (AP) - A new county law aims to keep readers from reeking.

Libraries in San Luis Obispo County have had their own rules banning offensive body odour since 1994, but the policy became law after the board of supervisors last month adopted an ordinance that lets authorities kick out malodorous guests.

Visitors to 14 libraries and a bookmobile also could be asked to leave for fighting, eating, drinking, sleeping, playing games, and printing or viewing illegal materials on library computers.

"The point is to make the library a comfortable, safe place for everyone to use," said Moe McGee, assistant director of the San Luis Obispo City-County Library.

A strict code of conduct, officials argue, is needed to ensure one patron's right to use a public library doesn't infringe on the rights of another.

Yet the law can raise tough questions for librarians, said Irene Macias, Santa Barbara's library services manager.

"What is bad odour?" Macias asked. "A woman who wears a strong perfume? A person who had a garlicky meal?"

People in the Cali area, have you seen anyone been kicked out for this?

Premedtomed said:

Not for long, at least not for the desis living here(in the states). There getting bigger and taller, closer to the national averages....and even in the subcontinent it seems more people are into a healther lifestyle/fitness(at least the bollywood actors are finally working out!) Of course I am not saying desis are gonna over the NBA, NFL and what not!

^ We got one desi in the CFL over here: Bobby Singh, BC Lions

And, there is Manny Malhotra in the NHL. There are a lot of desis that are in minor league hockey squads here in Canada. Some of them are NHL hopefuls.

sunny123 said:
^ We got one desi in the CFL over here: Bobby Singh, BC Lions

And, there is Manny Malhotra in the NHL. There are a lot of desis that are in minor league hockey squads here in Canada. Some of them are NHL hopefuls.

Yeah I know, Desis seem to have made more progress in sports in Canada than in the US. Even politically :thumbup: :thumbup:

sunny123 said:
Anyone read this on msn news?

People in the Cali area, have you seen anyone been kicked out for this?
wow...funny how certain news make it to other parts of the world faster than locally. hehe. I've never heard of anyone being kicked out of a library here in Cali due to bad BO or any such policy. :laugh: (However, I'm not from San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara).

rxgal8 said:
wow...funny how certain news make it to other parts of the world faster than locally. hehe. I've never heard of anyone being kicked out of a library here in Cali due to bad BO or any such policy. :laugh: (However, I'm not from San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara).

That policy needs to go national. One of the Kaplan sites here had a really small study room and damn that baby stunk bad at times. Mainly because of the FOBs, I mean they just dont believe in deodorant whats up with that? I couldnt even go in there when the funk was loose. To make matters worse no one in there wanted the windows open cause it was next to a major road and the vehicle noise was too loud.

PTP said:
That policy needs to go national. One of the Kaplan sites here had a really small study room and damn that baby stunk bad at times. Mainly because of the FOBs, I mean they just dont believe in deodorant whats up with that? I couldnt even go in there when the funk was loose. To make matters worse no one in there wanted the windows open cause it was next to a major road and the vehicle noise was too loud.
Come on dude, don't tell me you've never carried around the natural deodarant consisting of your mom's turmeric, garam masala, and geera powder (we all have at some point, then try and douse it with some CK Eternity). We just got smart to the game by keeping our clothes inside the closet, and closing the doors to the closet, so the smell doesn't stay attached. And I've never had my dad put coconut oil in my head (he knows it'll stink), so you can't blame the newcomers for holding onto some of their stuff.

And what happens when you come in contact with a patient that just perspires alot? Are you gonna be like, "Dammnnn, you stank worse than rotten cheese, come back to me as soon as you've scrubbed down"? :D I think not, cause you are just gonna put a mask on, or start breathing with your mouth.

The thing with this article that got me was that every ethnicity has a unique scent, and some people cannot stand them and make rude comments. I mean, who is to say what an "offensive" odour is? You can get a homeless person walking into the library, and obviously the indivudal has not bathed in a while, but what are you gonna do, kick the guy out? It is a public place, and everyone is entitled to go inside.