The Last SMDEP Thread EVER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been awhile and still no news - not even an email. I'm guessing I applied to the busier sites?
It's cool, it's cool. I can wait it out. :xf:

Can anyone explain a bit more about the food situation? I gather that food is served in the cafeteria of the medical schools for the most part, but do we pay by cash? Some sort of program swipe card?

I don't know if it is the same across the sites, but Columbia provides $120/week for you to spend on food. I'm guessing there is a cafeteria or some kind of student union that sells food near the dorms. Hopefully, this money is in cash and not on some kind of card that only allows for purchase on campus. This money is supplemented by meal vouchers and weekly dinners that are free of charge.

Members don't see this ad.

rejected from columbia today :[

sorry to hear that. I feel like I'm headed towards the same direction. At least you heard something. I don't get anything from my sites. Its getting really aggravating.

edit:
got rejected from UCLA today.. wow i feel so crappy and stupid for letting Houston slip away and being wait listed.
biggest mistake ever... I doubt I'd get into Yale. If I do, I'm probably wait listed again. =(
has anyone ever gotten off the waitlist?

Last edited:
I submitted mine late as well. How long (or how many days) did it take you to get a response when you applied late?

as i mentioned before i submitted my app 2 days before it was due and the next day at noon Louisville accepted me. yes the next business day.

a few days later UT-Houston accepted me and I knew I wanted to go there so I withdrew everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear that. I feel like I'm headed towards the same direction. At least you heard something. I don't get anything from my sites. Its getting really aggravating.

edit:
got rejected from UCLA today.. wow i feel so crappy and stupid for letting Houston slip away and being wait listed.
biggest mistake ever... I doubt I'd get into Yale. If I do, I'm probably wait listed again. =(
has anyone ever gotten off the waitlist?

sucks for you. You should of just accepted a school instead of being so ambitious and picky.

but there is hope for you. Anyone who are waitlisted still have a chance. I remember a guy came in 2 days after the program started and he was on the waitlist!!! So if you get lucky and someone cancel their acceptance then you might have a shot. Best of luck!

hey guys i applied early feb for pre dental at columbia, ucla, and new jersey...

anyone know how quickly the dental fills up? im expecting a decision within a few days since they have had my stuff for a while now.

sucks for you. You should of just accepted a school instead of being so ambitious and picky.

but there is hope for you. Anyone who are waitlisted still have a chance. I remember a guy came in 2 days after the program started and he was on the waitlist!!! So if you get lucky and someone cancel their acceptance then you might have a shot. Best of luck!

Wow, Binh you could be more sensitive.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey ouch! Lol you got accepted to where you want to go, congratz congratz. I didn't. Don't judge. Besides, from seeing your last post it seems like you waited a day or 2 to hear from your first choice. I did that too. The only difference was I wasn't accepted and Houston filled up after 3 days (pretty damn fast!).

I'm 2nd on the waitlist anyway but doubt it will change. They just told me to reapply in November if it doesn't work out and they'll accept me right away since I got in anyway. Apparently a girl dropped out of their program already and switched to a different site that she was probably her first choice. Ithought that wasn't allowed/ againt policy (switching when you confirmed)? They told me there must have been a glitch that made it possible for to do it.

Last edited:
hey guys i applied early feb for pre dental at columbia, ucla, and new jersey...

anyone know how quickly the dental fills up? im expecting a decision within a few days since they have had my stuff for a while now.

I called them a few weeks ago and they said that there were still spots left on all the sites except for ucla and washington so don't worry ^_^

Hey ouch! Lol you got accepted to where you want to go, congratz congratz. I didn't. Don't judge. Besides, from seeing your last post it seems like you waited a day or 2 to hear from your first choice. I did that too. The only difference was I wasn't accepted and Houston filled up after 3 days (pretty damn fast!).

I'm 2nd on the waitlist anyway but doubt it will change. They just told me to reapply in November if it doesn't work out and they'll accept me right away since I got in anyway. Apparently a girl dropped out of their program already and switched to a different site that she was probably her first choice. Ithought that wasn't allowed/ againt policy (switching when you confirmed)? They told me there must have been a glitch that made it possible for to do it.

sorry for the comment. it came off wrong. what i meant was that you gave up a great opportunity because you wanted to go somewhere else. from now on, don't wait too long because it will leave your hands before you even know it.

hope it all goes well next year. you're a freshman right? if so...you still have time. UT-Houston should be fun. I hope that if you go there, they will change the catered meals becuase i got sick of it. if you went this year, you would of met me because i will come back to speak as an alum of the program.

sorry for the comment. it came off wrong. what i meant was that you gave up a great opportunity because you wanted to go somewhere else. from now on, don't wait too long because it will leave your hands before you even know it.

hope it all goes well next year. you're a freshman right? if so...you still have time. UT-Houston should be fun. I hope that if you go there, they will change the catered meals becuase i got sick of it. if you went this year, you would of met me because i will come back to speak as an alum of the program.

I don't know why, but I found this incredibly hilarious, especially after your oh-so sensitive post earlier.

under latest admission action/date, it says hold. does that mean im on the waitlist?

and also, would it be rude to call the sites to ask why i wasnt accepted? im not trying to question their decision; i just want to know how i can improve my applications.

under latest admission action/date, it says hold. does that mean im on the waitlist?

and also, would it be rude to call the sites to ask why i wasnt accepted? im not trying to question their decision; i just want to know how i can improve my applications.

it's not rude. you can call and they will tell you. just like when you don't get accepted into a med school. the admissions office will tell you how you can improve and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question...

Last week I received an email from Rebecca Lopez saying that I would be on the waitlist (if I wanted to) for their SMDEP UT Houston program. Just wondering, but is there a good chance for me to get in? Do you guys know of anyone that has gotten in despite being on the waitlist?

I have a question...

Last week I received an email from Rebecca Lopez saying that I would be on the waitlist (if I wanted to) for their SMDEP UT Houston program. Just wondering, but is there a good chance for me to get in? Do you guys know of anyone that has gotten in despite being on the waitlist?

Oh Rebecca Lopez, she is one of the two assistants. I went to UT-Houston and remember a guy who came in 2 days after the program started. he said he was on the alternate list and someone canceled so he got in. they have to have 80 students for the program. Good luck!

I got into Washington university and so excited, but I still have a question. Is it possible to take online courses offered by my school while i was in that program or it is not a good idea to do that? Does this program looks good on the med school application?

I got into Washington university and so excited, but I still have a question. Is it possible to take online courses offered by my school while i was in that program or it is not a good idea to do that? Does this program looks good on the med school application?

congrats! if it was me i wouldn't take a course because the program plan a full day for you and they want you to get the schedule experience of a med student. by the end of the day you would be too jaded to do anything. take this advice with a grain of salt. it is up to you.

of course this program will help you with your app. it is a well known national program.

So i submitted my app early february and mailed out my paperwork before the deadline. I called smdep and they said they received my transcript on monday, march 16th and said the sites and the program had 10 business days for a review. They updated my transcript received status on the webpage a few days after that. Im wondering if anyone knows whether the 10 days are from that monday when i spoke to them and they said it was in the system or from the day they updated my status online? Ive been waiting but i applied to the competitive sites and most people applied extremely early like fall 08, would the programs still have openings =/ ?

So i submitted my app early february and mailed out my paperwork before the deadline. I called smdep and they said they received my transcript on monday, march 16th and said the sites and the program had 10 business days for a review. They updated my transcript received status on the webpage a few days after that. Im wondering if anyone knows whether the 10 days are from that monday when i spoke to them and they said it was in the system or from the day they updated my status online? Ive been waiting but i applied to the competitive sites and most people applied extremely early like fall 08, would the programs still have openings =/ ?

I'm pretty much in the same position as you.. as far as i know, it's usually the day the post that they have received and and approved your transcript that counts towards the 10 business days.. for the sites, it really depends on where you applied.. for dental, they said all the most competitive sites were closed like columbia, ucla, uwash, and houston.. for medical, many more sites are closed.. i only know this because the person i spoke to thought i was applying premedical and he said even howard was pretty much closed... but don't worry too much, some ppl have gotten in even tho they said they were already closed.. so just wait and see ^_^

Thanksss! Yeah Im nervous =/ I really hope i get in. I spoke to them today and they said the sites already started reviewing my app and they have from till until friday to let me know. I applied to columbia, umdnj, and duke. I know theres a slim chance but i reaaaly hopee i get one because otherwise ill have to settle for aresty research at my school. Oh well well see. Good luckk

what does it mean if an admissions decision says closed without review

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I just got denied from UCLA and UVa. Next to New Jersey there are dashes like --. What does this mean. Do you guys think that there is a chance of me getting in to this site. I also handed in my online application on March 1st. Kinda late. Do you guys think that had anything to do with my rejection. Thanks for any input.

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I just got denied from UCLA and UVa. Next to New Jersey there are dashes like --. What does this mean. Do you guys think that there is a chance of me getting in to this site. I also handed in my online application on March 1st. Kinda late. Do you guys think that had anything to do with my rejection. Thanks for any input.
I have the same thing next to my UMDNJ site. I think it means they haven't made a final decision yet (I've got one acceptance and one "not accepted")

Wow, is it mid-April yet? I think it is >.> ... I can't wait until they start sending the information packets. Anyone hear anything from their school (Columbia) yet?

Wow, is it mid-April yet? I think it is >.> ... I can't wait until they start sending the information packets. Anyone hear anything from their school (Columbia) yet?

Nothing yet. I hope they send it soon... I heard Southwest is having huge promotional deals and it's like 200 bucks round trip from AZ. The perks of a recession.

OMG!! It's an EFFING MIRACLE! Houston called me about an hour ago, and I got off their waitlist! WOOOOH =]

Thank the Lord! I finally got an acception. Washington D.C. Here I come!

acception' or 'rejectance'??:smuggrin:

that's how excited I am. Can't even think straight.
Does anyone know what happens after you confirm your attendance?

acception' or 'rejectance'??:smuggrin:

that's how excited I am. Can't even think straight.
Does anyone know what happens after you confirm your attendance?

Congrats^^ I got accepted to Howard too. They have already sent us a packet that we need to fill out. There has also been a group made on yahoo: HU SMDEP 2009. All the info is there as well.

Yay, Columbia has finally sent out an email! I am so excited. Has anyone else heard anything from their site?

I received two emails from UMDNJ last week!!! Im too excited, i cant even think straight....lol.. only 2 1/2 more weeks left of school, then off to SMDEP! 2009!!!

Has anybody else received any information from their cites??

did you decide to take an online class? cuz i was totally thinking of doing that but i wasnt so sure...

I guess I'm a bit late on posting, as I just stumbled upon this thread.

Anyway...I did SMDEP at UW in 2006. It was an amazing experience: the school treated us very, very well (we really were spoiled), and all my fellow participants were extremely friendly. Seattle is a gorgeous and safe city with wonderful public transportation, and there were endless things to do and see. Can't say enough about the program.

The only issue for me was that I was from out of state, and if you're from out of state, you have virtually no chance at being accepted into UW's med school. We were told this many times over the course of the summer. After growing to love the school, this was a bit painful.

Hope you all have a great time this summer, wherever you go!

I completed the UVA program about a week ago, so if anyone has any questions about it, I'll do my best to answer.

Hey I have a question too.

Should I even apply, If I am not Official URM(Black, Hispanic, Native...)

I am something between Middle Eastern and European, I am from Post Soviet

system. Would they consider me ?

If you're worried about letters, you can always apply sophomore year when you're more confident.

Also, apply even if you're not URM. Do you have a story that you can share on why you should be accepted? Can you contribute positively to the health disparities that exist today?

At my SMDEP program, there were people from all different backgrounds and all different races (White, black, asian, hispanic, native american, indian, middle eastern, etc)

no, i'm pretty sure i want to participate this next summer. The summer after my sophmore year i'll be doing research hopefully.
what i wanted to know was how important the LORs are for this program. and if extracurriculars and or work experience was important as well...

anyone else care to help out :D !?

Hey. I did SMDEP at Columbia after my freshman year in 2007. I had great EC and I did give LORs...I want to say I had 2....In my program 1/2 were fresh and 1/2 were soph...so you can definitely do it after your first year. Write a GREAT essay!!! I think that will give you more weight. On my first day at Columbia she said for every person here, 11 other people got rejected and she read our entire applications and hand picked each one of us. So yes, LOR will back you up, but have good EC and a GREAT essay.

My 2nd year I did research at Stanford with basically no prior research. So It can be done.

Have your package together...if you're not that cool with your profs, explain your situation and ask if they'll write you the strongest letter possible.

hope this help. GL:)

is there a statistic as to how many people applied over the last few years?

Should I send my transcripts, before finishing the fall semester.
Previous I had 4.0( w no science)
This semester Everything seems to be A, except chem lab(1 credit).

I don`t want to put my lab abilities as a weakness in my application.