The History Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

systematic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2011 BA at top 100 School (I know it doesn't really matter)

uGPA - 2.35

2.75 GPA in History ~2.0 sGPA (Dropped premed major after first 2.5 years)

Post-Bacc (2011 Fall)

Physics 1 - A
Chemistry 1 - B
O-Chem (with lab) - A
Biology 141 (Cells and Genes) - A

(sGPA ~3.8)

This Current Semester:

Genetics :
O-Chem 2 (with lab):
Physics 2:
Chem 2:

(Projected sGPA: 3.8 - 4.0)

All classes in postbacc; expect O-Chem 2 and Physics 2, are retakes. If all A's are achieved than with the retakes that brings by sGPA to a 3.06 with almost all A's in the prereqs (intro biology series and some bogus ecology classes are killing it)

now the reason why I think my application is interesting is because I have a 31 Q MCAT [10, 10, 11(vr)]

I have some very well positioned people to vouch for my recent change in habits. Just 8 months ago I had absolutely no plan as I was walked across stage to receive my diploma. I scrambled a lot (a problem that I am working on), but it took 1 week of trying to find a job before I enrolled to my postbacc program (which I was very very lucky to find in time). I basically picked up a book for the first time and read it and haven't really stopped since. Some people literally thought I was illiterate in college (seriously). Anyway, new year new person I suppose. I am taking biochem in the summer so that should bring my sGPA to a 3.1 solid (lol I know). I got the LOR's, EC's, volunteering and shadowing in motion currently and trying to give this med school a crack.

Also I am not sure if I am considered an URM, (Half Tibetian), as I have not planned that to be much of any factor in my application as of now. I'm not sure how to calculate my cumm undergrad GPA with all the replacements and what not, but sGPA was calculated using the excel sheet found on SDN.

The one thing I fear is that I made such a 180 degree turn so quickly that many admissions might fear that I am not ready yet. After this year I refuse to take any more undergrad classes and I feel that my MCAT score (attained before entirely finishing my prereqs) should help. Who knows? thank god SDN is in existence :thumbup:

Bottom line:

3.1 sGPA
31Q MCAT
LOR's, EC's, Volunteering, Shadowing - Check

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to say that I believe you have a chance as it stands. The 31 is interesting, but you have a cGPA that's destroyed and an sGPA that is probably below the 10th percentile at many Osteopathic programs, and given that you're an Asian applicant (an ORM, not URM), your chances are much worse than applicants of any other race. You need to at least get both GPA's to a 3.2 to have a competitive chance.

There basically is no way that I could bring my GPA higher than a 3.1 because I used to be one of those punks that was on a bogus undeserving college scholarship. I didn't really ever do anything unless I was threatened by graduation. Should I retake the MCAT? 31Q could definitely be improved bit, but I don't know if its worth the time needed to potentially raise it by a few pts. I was thinking SMP but I don't cash sitting around to be goofing off for another yr and idk how loans will favor me. What are some schools that may gimme a chance? 3.1 doesn't seem horrible but I know I'm a heavy underdog. If medicine is ultimately about a combination of desire, competence and knowledge (the sdn vibe I've been getting) I feel that I should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay attention: Your cGPA will automatically reject you at ANY medical school you apply to. Your 3.1 sGPA is also below my own school's bar for sGPA.

My advice is to take some years off and work, save your money, and apply to an SMP. Don't bother taking the mCAT again; even a 45Z won't get you accepted unless it's accompanied by a six figure donation to the school.

There basically is no way that I could bring my GPA higher than a 3.1 because I used to be one of those punks that was on a bogus undeserving college scholarship. I didn't really ever do anything unless I was threatened by graduation. Should I retake the MCAT? 31Q could definitely be improved bit, but I don't know if its worth the time needed to potentially raise it by a few pts. I was thinking SMP but I don't cash sitting around to be goofing off for another yr and idk how loans will favor me. What are some schools that may gimme a chance? 3.1 doesn't seem horrible but I know I'm a heavy underdog. If medicine is ultimately about a combination of desire, competence and knowledge (the sdn vibe I've been getting) I feel that I should be fine.

So my cumm ugGPA 2.35 (216 quarter units)

I have 33 semester credits in post bacc @ 3.9 (all science).

216 quarter units * 0.667 = 144 semester Credits (this is high because most semester schools only require 120)

144 (@2.35) + 33 (@3.9) = 2.64 pure calculation...

now consider that most of the 33 credits are retakes I would estimate: 2.8 - 2.85 range for my cumm ugGPA.

so with the final stat line: cGPA - 2.8, sGPA - 3.1, MCAT - 31Q - you think it's not worth spending the money for applications this cycle? I refuse to go caribbean so it's home to go home for me. Also, my prerequisite GPA (2 physics, 2 bio, 2 chem, 2 ochem, genetics n biochem) is a 3.8 Any advice is appreciated! and if I were to go SMP should I apply to them this cycle? I'm from the hood so my parents don't have a dime for me and I see SMP tuitions pushing 50k :/

so with the final stat line: cGPA - 2.8, sGPA - 3.1, MCAT - 31Q - you think it's not worth spending the money for applications this cycle? I refuse to go caribbean so it's home to go home for me. Also, my prerequisite GPA (2 physics, 2 bio, 2 chem, 2 ochem, genetics n biochem) is a 3.8 Any advice is appreciated! and if I were to go SMP should I apply to them this cycle? I'm from the hood so my parents don't have a dime for me and I see SMP tuitions pushing 50k :/
Hit the 3.0 and schools will give you the benefit of the doubt. Before that, I'd suggest waiting.

Concur. You have the desired upward trend, but you're in such a deep hole collectively that you'll be automaticaally screened into the "REJECT" pool.

Hence, get that cGPA> 3 and then you're looking at some DO school interviews.

Hit the 3.0 and schools will give you the benefit of the doubt. Before that, I'd suggest waiting.

Take advice from SDN with a grain of salt, you have a good mcat. I don't think your science gpa is that bad honestly, since the average applicant for DO has a 3.26 science, and the average matriculant is slightly higher. So the problem is your cumulative gpa. If you get this above a 3.0 and really put some work into making your ECs shine I think youll get in somewhere personally.

I guess SMP is my only option...or so it seems. I mean all my bad grades (many of them) are all in classes like Art History, Economics, some Russian history class (couldn't recall any of them complicated names)...anyway no way and no value in retaking these classes. The only reason my sGPA is at a 3.1 is b/c of 1 F in Zoology and 2 D's in Intro to Autotrophs and Immunology, but I have A's in all the prereqs. I could retake these in the Fall semester, but will I still get screened in my application process for my GPA?

well...the bright side is that I have a clean criminal record (knock on wood lol).

Take advice from SDN with a grain of salt, you have a good mcat. I don't think your science gpa is that bad honestly, since the average applicant for DO has a 3.26 science, and the average matriculant is slightly higher. So the problem is your cumulative gpa. If you get this above a 3.0 and really put some work into making your ECs shine I think youll get in somewhere personally.
I agree. For example Cole doesn't know that the real average is 3.36 and that WVSOM and PCSOM are the 2 schools to drag down the average because they are heavily biased toward applicants from their region.

I agree. For example Cole doesn't know that the real average is 3.36 and that WVSOM and PCSOM are the 2 schools to drag down the average because they are heavily biased toward applicants from their region.

The average matriculant has a 3.36 sgpa. I said the average applicant has a 3.26 gpa. So obviously I do know.

OP, keep in mind this guy has the same qualifications to give you advice as I do; zero. All we can do is rate your scores against averages, but there are people that get in with lower end stats, and higher end stats; hence what makes an average. 3.36 gpa does not mean everyone that matriculated to DO school had exactly 3.36 gpa and that's why it was the average. It means there were some lower, and some higher. Your chance at admission also revolves around letters of rec, ECs, PS, etc. There are many factors that contribute to an acceptance and gpa is just one of them.

Like I said before, if you really boost your ECs and manage to get at least 3.0 you would have a chance. The average mcat is a 26; you have a 31 which is significantly higher and can make up for your gpa once it breaks 3.0, imo. And there are a decent amount of schools with a 26-27 average mcat, despite what some people seem to think..

Bottom line, keep your head up high you have a good mcat. If you can fix that gpa then you will make it to DO school, even if it takes a little extra time.

Edit- Also please explain to me how WVSOM drags down the average science gpa when its science gpa is actually very slightly higher than average? Lols?

The average matriculant has a 3.36 sgpa. I said the average applicant has a 3.26 gpa. So obviously I do know.
Well thanks for saying something completely meaningless then because we all strive in this journey to be applicants, not matriculated.

I confused that WVSOM has a low MCAT, so you made a point on that.

I'm from the hood so my parents don't have a dime for me and I see SMP tuitions pushing 50k :/

if you're really from the hood you might qualify for something like this:
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/eligibility/index.aspx

* A disadvantaged individual is one who, from an early age, resided in a low-income community or experienced enduring family, societal, or other hardship that significantly compromised educational opportunities. An underserved community is a geographic location or an identified population that is determined medically underserved based upon U.S. Census data.

^^ maybe poke around for postbaccs that designed for those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I appreciate all the responses. A mix of good and bad news so it seems. I feel like I have a lot of interesting life experiences that cannot play any role in getting me into medical school but will reflect onto me as when I become doctor. yes I did grow up in one of roughest neighborhoods as a kid and immigrated to the US when I was 5 with my single mother. She was uneducated but kept me out of trouble a lot. Triage is right tho, my GPA got me screened out of all the formal postbaccs I applied too this year. And even with the work done this yr I'm still under the critcal value 3.0

One course of plan is to take the MCAT again. I know this was ill advised earlier but I feel like a 31 is a tad under my capabilities. With a study plan and finishing prerequisites I think I could push high 30's.

Sorry about flooding so much, but I've never been closely associated with anybody who could give me one bit of advice on becoming a physician.

Bump. Entering second half of the semester, currently all solid A's in all premed classes. I've found out that I learn best on my own not from lecture, so I will have to consider this for application cycle.

Listen. I was in the same shoes as yourself. < 2.5 ugpa and <2.0 sgpa because I started as a science major. You don't need a SMP, and quite frankly, you probably won't get accepted into most SMPs with a <3.0 gpa.

Do yourself a favor by acing one more year (including summer) of postbacc, retaking all of your science courses with priority given to the lowest grades. I recon that with 35 or so more units of As, your gpa will mirror what I had when I got accepted this cycle, i.e. low 3's cgpa, and >3.5 sgpa. More importantly, this extra year will get the attention of adcoms and save you a s***ton of money on a SMP.

It took me around 70 semester units of postbacc work to get this done, and it netted me a handful of acceptances. Keep working hard, have a little patience and you can get it done too.

Bump. Entering second half of the semester, currently all solid A's in all premed classes. I've found out that I learn best on my own not from lecture, so I will have to consider this for application cycle.

Really, the best thing you can do is just keep retaking classes. You know what's gotta be done, and you're doing it. Apply. If it doesn't work, apply again- while retaking courses/taking courses to raise your GPA. Don't stress out too much, the come back you make when you get into Medical School will be fantastically rewarding.

Thanks for all the input!

One thing is still confusing me is that posters have told me that I will be automatically screened via GPA < 3.0

is this really the case? source:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7199902&postcount=2

I do understand a formal and informal cut off, but just wanting to know the real story if anybody has answers or experience.

DO schools tend to screen pre-secondary at 3.0, 2.75, 2.5, 3.25, with the most common one being 3.0. This means if you do not meet that minimum, you won't even receive a secondary. All the more reason to do one more year of post-bacc retakes if you want to maximize your chances and not limit yourself.

Go to the AACOMAS CIB and look under each school's "Supplemental Application Requirements" or check our the school websites
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2012cib/2012cib-whole.pdf

I was wondering what people's opinions were about applying to:

Irish Medical Schools
Sackler in Isreal?

any other international programs that I may have a shot at? Looking for more older established (non-caribbean) institutions that might potentially suit me

Bumping.

Registered for biochem in the summer and 2 more retakes (F, D) in the fall. Registered for June 26th MCAT, scoring consistently around ~40 (39, 40, 37, 42) in the last 4 FL practice tests. Excited to fill my AACOMAS in June!!