The future is HERE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurfingDoctor

"Good news, everyone"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, well, maybe not quite, but its closer...

(Just as an FYI, I don't represent this company in any way, but I couldn't find any non-company releases on the SUNRISE trial)

Who knows if this will actually work, but I think gene-editing for congenital diseases is really the wave of the future in pediatrics. The highest mortality in pediatrics in under age 1 and due to congenital anomalies. Clearly, not all those anomalies are enzyme specific, but there's a good number that are. Anyway, I think this is incredibly exciting and really just the beginning...

Discuss the pros and cons of gene-editing, or don't, because either way... the future is HERE!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s an interesting comment. I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Elaborate.

If theres an explosion of gene therapy and cost is anywhere comparable to existing therapies like zolgensma, insurance companies are going to eventually eat some big bills (after a few claims denials and peer to peers). Was just being tongue in cheek. I'm sure they'll increase premiums across the board and remain ever profitable. Really though, I'm optimistic about the future for some of these congenital diseases with gene therapy

Reactions: 1 user
If theres an explosion of gene therapy and cost is anywhere comparable to existing therapies like zolgensma, insurance companies are going to eventually eat some big bills (after a few claims denials and peer to peers). Was just being tongue in cheek. I'm sure they'll increase premiums across the board and remain ever profitable. Really though, I'm optimistic about the future for some of these congenital diseases with gene therapy
Ah. Yeah initially, though if it reduces payments out to the hospitals because there are less admissions, surgeries, etc., it could be a windfall cost savings to insurance companies so they can invest their money elsewhere, like meme stocks and real estate.