The countdown...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_cavalier

T3-Weighted
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 weeks and counting!! I feel like it'll fly by pretty fast, since May is coming to a close soon. So how are you guys going to occupy your summer, just curious.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow, then heading to Vegas next week.

i have 4 more weeks until finals week. i hope the scores dont come out the day before i have a final...

crazy_cavalier said:
4 weeks and counting!! I feel like it'll fly by pretty fast, since May is coming to a close soon. So how are you guys going to occupy your summer, just curious.

:)

shiet, i'm already biting my nails. jp.

Members don't see this ad :)
jtank said:
i have 4 more weeks until finals week. i hope the scores dont come out the day before i have a final...

Well, you'd be up all night anyway, right? :D

To chaey - ouch on the wisdom teeth!! They need to figure a way to keep those suckers from growing out so you dont have to get them pulled. That would be a great discovery / method and I'm sure it'll rake quite the pretty penny.

Anyway have fun at Vegas!

make sure you follow the doctor's orders to a T. you don't want a nasty dry socket to deal with during your trip!

Chaey,

get some rest after you get your teeth pulled out because you may be out of it for awhile. My brother was out of it for 4 days after his teeth were pulled.

To everyone else,

No kidding the count down is on. In a couple days it will be 3 weeks and counting.

gujuDoc said:
Chaey,

get some rest after you get your teeth pulled out because you may be out of it for awhile. My brother was out of it for 4 days after his teeth were pulled.

To everyone else,

No kidding the count down is on. In a couple days it will be 3 weeks and counting.

good luck chaey! :)

about the countdown...i don't like this one bit :scared:

wetlightning said:
good luck chaey! :)

about the countdown...i don't like this one bit :scared:

Awww, you sound like psycho doctor last September/October. I'm sure you are going to be one of the people posting advice to future testees in 3 weeks, and posting in the 30+ thread

Thanks, y'all. The pain's intense, but I've got my Vicodin to keep me company. It's my new best friend.

gujuDoc said:
Awww, you sound like psycho doctor last September/October. I'm sure you are going to be one of the people posting advice to future testees in 3 weeks, and posting in the 30+ thread

thanks for the support gujudoc!!

it's weird, i had been relatively chill the past 2 weeks, but now i'm back to getting nervous -- i guess cause i'm actually filling out apps now and i'm seeing how a few points score difference could really affect where i get in.

but i guess all we can do is wait and hope!
good luck to everyone else as well :thumbup: :thumbup:

wetlightning said:
thanks for the support gujudoc!!

it's weird, i had been relatively chill the past 2 weeks, but now i'm back to getting nervous -- i guess cause i'm actually filling out apps now and i'm seeing how a few points score difference could really affect where i get in.

but i guess all we can do is wait and hope!
good luck to everyone else as well :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm continually amazed by how fast time is flying by. I actually forgot a lot of the details about my form and how I felt about it right after. I think I was scoring 13 Bio, 12 Phys and 10-11 VR, but when I thought about it a few minutes ago, 13 seemed really high and impossble.

Whatever, I wish they would release scores before you can submit AMCAS so I would know which schools I shouldnt bother applying. I'm thinking of only applying to 10 schools initially and maybe adding more schools after June 15.

junebuguf said:
I'm continually amazed by how fast time is flying by. I actually forgot a lot of the details about my form and how I felt about it right after. I think I was scoring 13 Bio, 12 Phys and 10-11 VR, but when I thought about it a few minutes ago, 13 seemed really high and impossble.

Whatever, I wish they would release scores before you can submit AMCAS so I would know which schools I shouldnt bother applying. I'm thinking of only applying to 10 schools initially and maybe adding more schools after June 15.

I am waiting to hit the submit button until after I get my score. Are a lot of you sending your apps out before your mcat score? Why does it take 2 months to run a scantron? I understand 1 month for the "scaling". But 2. why?

summer plans? Nothing exciting. Summer classes :thumbdown: . Work possibly. ER volunteering, and hopefully some lake fun!

YankeeDoodle said:
I am waiting to hit the submit button until after I get my score. Are a lot of you sending your apps out before your mcat score? Why does it take 2 months to run a scantron? I understand 1 month for the "scaling". But 2. why?

summer plans? Nothing exciting. Summer classes :thumbdown: . Work possibly. ER volunteering, and hopefully some lake fun!
Probably essay grading.

Members don't see this ad :)
just about 3 weeks left now...

whooosh the time is sorta going by a bit faster these days! now that my grades have come in, I can start to work on the AMCAS now and request my transcript get sent there and whatnot... although now i know my cumulative & can predict what amcas will put for my science gpa, i still need the mcat to help me pick out the schools that i have the best chance at...

crazy_cavalier said:
just about 3 weeks left now...

whooosh the time is sorta going by a bit faster these days! now that my grades have come in, I can start to work on the AMCAS now and request my transcript get sent there and whatnot... although now i know my cumulative & can predict what amcas will put for my science gpa, i still need the mcat to help me pick out the schools that i have the best chance at...

At least the bright side is that the MCAT scores will be out in June, and we won't have to wait for October like the August testees so you'll still be ahead of the game. Just be patient.

Oh and look through one of the recent MSARs.

gujuDoc said:
At least the bright side is that the MCAT scores will be out in June, and we won't have to wait for October like the August testees so you'll still be ahead of the game. Just be patient.

Oh and look through one of the recent MSARs.

Hehe, that's the second time you've said "testees" and it still makes me giggle :laugh:

Is the 2002-2003 MSAR recent enough? Or is that too outdated and I should look through the new one??

crazy_cavalier said:
Hehe, that's the second time you've said "testees" and it still makes me giggle :laugh:

Is the 2002-2003 MSAR recent enough? Or is that too outdated and I should look through the new one??

hahahahahaha at the testees comment. Never even thought about how that sounded.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are such a naughty boy. LOL

No but seriously, as far as the MSAR goes..... I would get the updated version, because the statistics on accepted applicants, changes to number of available seats, and changes in the average gpa/mcat is different from year to year.

For instance, there were 80 people accepted to Ohio State University in 2004, but only 70 something the previous year. Or FSU for instance has 88 seats, but a few years ago had less then 50 seats available.

So it is best to get the updated version.

Are you most of you guys done with your personal statements? I havent even finished my first draft and I'm starting to get worried. How many characters are you using up for your activity descriptions?

junebuguf said:
Are you most of you guys done with your personal statements? I havent even finished my first draft and I'm starting to get worried. How many characters are you using up for your activity descriptions?

haven't even started mine!!! :eek: :eek:

i've perfected the art of procrastination -- this is terrible

junebuguf said:

I have not finished my first draft either, very worried. I am aiming to submit before June 15th, so i better get moving.

Did anyone reply to you about the activity section? I have no idea how to do this part- should we write in "resume" style?

junebuguf said:

I am nearly done with the PS. It is relatively short (about 3900 characters with spaces and enter breaks, etc.)

For the activity descriptions, I plan on using 10 of the 15 slots. Including a title for each activity, along with time committment and when I did the activity, and then a brief description underneath, my EC's (in a word document) will take up approximately 4300 characters (including spaces, enter breaks, etc.) -- How many characters are there per slot? I was thinking there is 500 and therefore averaged about 430 characters per EC slot.

ohhhhhhhhh man, i'm gettin mighty nervous about my mcat scores... I felt not so sexy after my MCAT scores but then again I had the same nervous feeling during my finals (okay, 1 final and 1 long-as-hell paper) but I wound up doing rather wonderfully spectacular... besides, i actually got some sleep the night before the mcats this time. ohhhhhhh man, i'm super nervous...

BUT I DO HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION that'll reveal the depths of my ignorance, what are the MSARs? I'm going to an smp so I don't have an immediate concern for the AMSCAS but I'd like to know all the same. :scared: :eek:

I have a proposition for everyone who's reading this thread regularly. Since most of us have taken the April MCAT and are preparing our AMCAS applications, why not help each other out? I propose we set timelines to finish the PS, EC summaries, et. Some of my med school friends and one of my professors are going to read my PS, but I think I would also like to get some feedback from others writing one too. I, for one, would not be opposed to having some of you guys proofread my personal statement for content, grammar and formatting. And of course, I would be willing to do the same.

We should start a little community of post-MCAT'ers who have to get through primaries, secondaries, interviews, et. I'm hoping this idea gets some traction, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of you are hesitant for fear of revealing personal info.

Anyway, pm if you're interested.

junebuguf said:
I have a proposition for everyone who's reading this thread regularly. Since most of us have taken the April MCAT and are preparing our AMCAS applications, why not help each other out? I propose we set timelines to finish the PS, EC summaries, et. Some of my med school friends and one of my professors are going to read my PS, but I think I would also like to get some feedback from others writing one too. I, for one, would not be opposed to having some of you guys proofread my personal statement for content, grammar and formatting. And of course, I would be willing to do the same.

We should start a little community of post-MCAT'ers who have to get through primaries, secondaries, interviews, et. I'm hoping this idea gets some traction, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of you are hesitant for fear of revealing personal info.

I'll help read your PS if you like, but since I've pretty much polished mine up, at this point I'm not gonna seek much more advice on it.

Setting up deadlines and motivating each other sounds great. I'll start the first one: make sure to have asked for all the letters of rec that you want by June 10. Allow 3 weeks for your writers to write and mail them to your letter service/committee/other-letter-of-rec-collection-reservoir.

By July 1st, make sure all letters are collected and ready to be mailed. If not, send out friendly reminders and allow up to two additional weeks. By July 15th, have every single letter that you need ready. Secondaries will begin to flow in, so as you complete secondaries in late July and August you will have the comfort of being able to mail out all your letters.

I like this idea. I have a question about letters: shouldn't we have already asked our profs for LORs to be sent to the pre-health committee? Are y'all just not using a committee or are you sending in extra letters in addition to your pre-health committee?

chaeymaey said:
I like this idea. I have a question about letters: shouldn't we have already asked our profs for LORs to be sent to the pre-health committee? Are y'all just not using a committee or are you sending in extra letters in addition to your pre-health committee?

I think it depends on the school. My undergrad institution, for instance, does not have a premed committee.

For this reason, they recommend two science professors, one nonscience professor, and 2 character letters.

gujuDoc said:
I think it depends on the school. My undergrad institution, for instance, does not have a premed committee.

For this reason, they recommend two science professors, one nonscience professor, and 2 character letters.

same here. no committee = get your letters yourself. I currently have 3, need 3 more... gotta ask for them before June 10!!! good thing I'll be back at my school June 2 (summer programs rock) so I still have a little time to ask around :oops:

crazy_cavalier said:
I am nearly done with the PS. It is relatively short (about 3900 characters with spaces and enter breaks, etc.)

For the activity descriptions, I plan on using 10 of the 15 slots. Including a title for each activity, along with time committment and when I did the activity, and then a brief description underneath, my EC's (in a word document) will take up approximately 4300 characters (including spaces, enter breaks, etc.) -- How many characters are there per slot? I was thinking there is 500 and therefore averaged about 430 characters per EC slot.

hey crazy cav,

question about activities section: i had planned to list a slot as a general description (like you advised before :) ) and then input diff activities in the description section...but what should i do about hours?? b/c if i have multiple activities under one slot, i won't be able to submit just one set of hours since they're all different. should i just put hours next to the descriptions? hope this makes some sense...

wetlightning said:
hey crazy cav,

question about activities section: i had planned to list a slot as a general description (like you advised before :) ) and then input diff activities in the description section...but what should i do about hours?? b/c if i have multiple activities under one slot, i won't be able to submit just one set of hours since they're all different. should i just put hours next to the descriptions? hope this makes some sense...

Yes, do that. I have a "Other Clinical Experiences / Miscellany" slot, where I am listing SMEP (I am not a URM, btw) along with shadowing... in paranthesis, I am putting an estimate for time commitments, when it is appropriate, or otherwise I am listing when I did it, e.g.:

Other clinical experiences (miscellany)
- SMEP at UVa (Summer 2005)
- Physician shadowing experience (roughly 10 hours total): various shadowing experience, i.e. interviewing and shadowing UVa family medicine faculty professor Dr. Ham; interviewed a pediatric surgeon, etc.

Now, the logic in combining multiple insignificant things into one slot is that you should focus on the more meaningful things if you decide that it warrants an entire slot. For instance, I will be dedicating one whole slot to this:

Volunteering – Big Sibs Program (Fall 2004 to Spring 2005) 2.5 to 3.5 Hrs / Wk.
Acted as a mentor and role model to a seven year old boy from a disadvantaged background who lacked a strong male influence in his life; spent time on a weekly basis playing games and interacting.

And so and so.
It looks pretty neat / logical on my word document... I am hoping to port it to the AMCAS application without format problems. :)

crazy_cavalier said:
Yes, do that. I have a "Other Clinical Experiences / Miscellany" slot, where I am listing SMEP (I am not a URM, btw) along with shadowing... in paranthesis, I am putting an estimate for time commitments, when it is appropriate, or otherwise I am listing when I did it, e.g.:

Other clinical experiences (miscellany)
- SMEP at UVa (Summer 2005)
- Physician shadowing experience (roughly 10 hours total): various shadowing experience, i.e. interviewing and shadowing UVa family medicine faculty professor Dr. Ham; interviewed a pediatric surgeon, etc.

Now, the logic in combining multiple insignificant things into one slot is that you should focus on the more meaningful things if you decide that it warrants an entire slot. For instance, I will be dedicating one whole slot to this:

Volunteering – Big Sibs Program (Fall 2004 to Spring 2005) 2.5 to 3.5 Hrs / Wk.
Acted as a mentor and role model to a seven year old boy from a disadvantaged background who lacked a strong male influence in his life; spent time on a weekly basis playing games and interacting.

And so and so.
It looks pretty neat / logical on my word document... I am hoping to port it to the AMCAS application without format problems. :)

thanks, you're great! :)

junebuguf said:

i think this is a good idea -- maybe not necessarily proofing EVERYTHING, but definitely to keep ourselves on-schedule and regiment our med app process a bit.

i know that i, for one, have definitely been a slacker with the amcas, and need some pressure to get working on my activities section/PS

ok, question for you guys:

my school has a committee...they submit one letter, as well as 3 letters from academic profs

my advisor doesn't really help us out, so he hasn't mentioned that additional letters would be necessary. the trend seems to be, however, that we should submit character letters from volunteer supervisors, research mentors, etc.

do you guys think i should get LOR's from my research mentor and the nurse i volunteer with extensively? ....or can i just wait until after secondaries come back.

thanks!

wetlightning said:
ok, question for you guys:

my school has a committee...they submit one letter, as well as 3 letters from academic profs

my advisor doesn't really help us out, so he hasn't mentioned that additional letters would be necessary. the trend seems to be, however, that we should submit character letters from volunteer supervisors, research mentors, etc.

do you guys think i should get LOR's from my research mentor and the nurse i volunteer with extensively? ....or can i just wait until after secondaries come back.

thanks!

I would get the letters right now, because once secondaries come back you don't want to waste time. Often times, people take forever in sending letters out, much writing them. Thus, it is better to get them done quickly as possible.

I would definitely get them from the nurse and research mentor. If you have an actual physician that knows you well, you might even want one from them.

gujuDoc said:
I would get the letters right now, because once secondaries come back you don't want to waste time. Often times, people take forever in sending letters out, much writing them. Thus, it is better to get them done quickly as possible.

I would definitely get them from the nurse and research mentor. If you have an actual physician that knows you well, you might even want one from them.

Ya, as long as you request your letters by June 10, then you will leave plenty of time (a little over one month!) and most people can have your letters written and ready for you by July 15. All letters ready by July 15 = gold, so you can fire away those secondaries with plenty of time to spare.

gujuDoc said:

thanks! great advice --i'll get going on that asap

the research mentor is actually an md/phd, so that might be good :thumbup:

thanks crazy cav also

Wow you guys are on the ball! Keep it rolling. As of today, I have exactly 0/5 of my LORs in. I haven't even finished my pre-health autobiography or comittee interview. I don't think submitting AAMCAS until mid July will hurt my chances will it?

Dr.Giggles said:
Wow you guys are on the ball! Keep it rolling. As of today, I have exactly 0/5 of my LORs in. I haven't even finished my pre-health autobiography or comittee interview. I don't think submitting AAMCAS until mid July will hurt my chances will it?

No, it will not significantly impair you in the long run. You will still be far ahead of the August MCATing gang.

My understanding of the committee letter is that you need your other letters first and must submit that to the committee. My school does not have a committee, so I offer no more misinformation on this topic. :laugh:

and with this ballpark prediction, it appears we have about 20 days left!!!

Half-way there until the 10 day countdown. Boy, I feel just like a kid again, when I used to be all excited about Christmas. Of course, now I'm all jaded and I don't even care too much about it. Christmas is basically = a check for $100 from my parents, and maybe some hot cocoa if I make it myself. Anyway, back then I used to countdown like crazy for x-mas. Ho ho ho!!

this sux, i haven't even started my personal statement yet. this weekend hopefully i will get started on my first draft.

jtank said:
this sux, i haven't even started my personal statement yet. this weekend hopefully i will get started on my first draft.

At least keep in mind that some people don't even get their application looked at til October. At least if your scores are good, you'll be in good shape as long as you do the tedious stuff now and start a little by little on the more thought provoking part: the personal statement and activity descriptions.

jtank said:

me neither!!! i'm finishing activities section today........aghhhhh

someone motivate me, PLEASE! i'm going to boston in a bit more than a week, and i have to get this #$%@ done

wetlightning said:
me neither!!! i'm finishing activities section today........aghhhhh

someone motivate me, PLEASE! i'm going to boston in a bit more than a week, and i have to get this #$%@ done

Think of it as a motivator to pass time so you aren't thinking about your MCAT scores, and think about your coming trip as motivation to get it done. I'm sending good vibes your way. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow, so I didn't have the best dream last night. I dreamed that I saw my MCAT score just before it was being checked by the AAMC. It was a 21...8 on PS, 6 on VS, 7 on BS. I kept checking the row and column with my name and was kind of in disbelief. I know that I've vented a lot on SDN and worried too much. Over the past 3 days, I've really just started to relax and trust God even if I'm disappointed with my scores. Even if I get a 21. God Bless to all.

crazy_cavalier said:
and with this ballpark prediction, it appears we have about 20 days left!!!

Half-way there until the 10 day countdown. Boy, I feel just like a kid again, when I used to be all excited about Christmas. Of course, now I'm all jaded and I don't even care too much about it. Christmas is basically = a check for $100 from my parents, and maybe some hot cocoa if I make it myself. Anyway, back then I used to countdown like crazy for x-mas. Ho ho ho!!

you are AWESOME man! AWESOME! don't let anyone tell you different. :thumbup:

edit: seriously, your posts crack me up.

gujuDoc said:
Think of it as a motivator to pass time so you aren't thinking about your MCAT scores, and think about your coming trip as motivation to get it done. I'm sending good vibes your way. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thank you! you're a sweetheart...i'm gonna be in boston for 2 months! exciting...

so i'll be there when mcat scores come out :eek: :eek: that means, no parents to resuscitate me if i collapse....hope your lab work is going well!

junebuguf said:
you are AWESOME man! AWESOME! don't let anyone tell you different. :thumbup:

edit: seriously, your posts crack me up.

junebug,

i still think its funny that many thought you were a white guy from your pic...!!! :laugh: :laugh:

shredder included :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and i thought i was insane for thinking you were desi :smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.