The biggest disappointment of USCAP Annual Meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, it wasn't Boston weather, food at the hospitality suite or even Rosai's speech.

It was women.

Face it: the quality of females entering a field is a function of overall hotness of the field. Remember all these hotties from medschool who matched into derm? Now fast forward to last weeks' event, and recall the poster sessions. All those out of shape bodies wrapped in frumpy skirts, pants and shirts, sallow faces, coffee stained teeth, frizzled hair... Sadly, especially female American pathologist were dragging the average down. If there was a semi-attractive+ woman, chances were she was from abroad.

Sure there were a few 8s and I even spotted a 9, but they were few and far between.

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh to all the women out there reading this, and I might get a lot of flak, but pathology is not the most taxing residency. There is plenty of time to hit the gym, get good sleep, and take care of you hair, skin and teeth. And invest in quality clothes and makeup.

Do it, girls. Make our field better. Since Fred Silva can't, maybe you can do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No, it wasn't Boston weather, food at the hospitality suite or even Rosai's speech.

It was women.

Face it: the quality of females entering a field is a function of overall hotness of the field. Remember all these hotties from medschool who matched into derm? Now fast forward to last weeks' event, and recall the poster sessions. All those out of shape bodies wrapped in frumpy skirts, pants and shirts, sallow faces, coffee stained teeth, frizzled hair... Sadly, especially female American pathologist were dragging the average down. If there was a semi-attractive+ woman, chances were she was from abroad.

Sure there were a few 8s and I even spotted a 9, but they were few and far between.

I'm sorry if it sounds harsh to all the women out there reading this, and I might get a lot of flak, but pathology is not the most taxing residency. There is plenty of time to hit the gym, get good sleep, and take care of you hair, skin and teeth. And invest in quality clothes and makeup.

Do it, girls. Make our field better. Since Fred Silva can't, maybe you can do it.

Haha. What a refreshing thread considering all the job market threads lately!

Members don't see this ad :)

It was women.

I've always wondered this...does the competitiveness of a field increase if more attractive people enter it? Or are more attractive people drawn to more competitive fields? It's true: derm is full of lanceable hotness. mmmmmmmm. Maybe if the path chicks started to take the OPs advice, we'd end up on the top ends of the applications.

I've always wondered this...does the competitiveness of a field increase if more attractive people enter it? Or are more attractive people drawn to more competitive fields? It's true: derm is full of lanceable hotness. mmmmmmmm. Maybe if the path chicks started to take the OPs advice, we'd end up on the top ends of the applications.
I think it is more related to perverts interviewing the candidates.

Reactions: 1 user

Point well taken, but IMO hot women tend to flock to good venues, and not the other way around.

For instance, do you remember frat parties at college? Girls gravitated where teh beer was, not vice versa.

Come on dude, that is not gonna happen. First of all most pathologists are NERDS, Im sorry its true, or they smell like cabbage. Any hot chick who walks in to 99% or the resident rooms in the country is gonna run like hell. I dont blame them, most residents rooms are like walking into a mix of a Turkish prison and an advanced Dungeons and Dragons game in progress, no hot chick would want to spend a majority of the next 4 years in such a place.

View attachment 12342
hit the gym, get good sleep, and take care of you hair, skin and teeth. And invest in quality clothes and makeup.
You forgot your girlfriend at USCAP. She's so quiet! Her hair and makeup are always perfect, maybe we can get her into pathology. That would really improve our hotness factor.
face.html

http://www.lifedoll.com/face.html

face.html

face.html

Oh puh-lease! What about the men? I saw mostly 5-6's and only one 9.

Oh puh-lease! What about the men? I saw mostly 5-6's and only one 9.

I agree. Went to 3 meetings last year and didn't even spot an 8. If I want attractive, I will go hang out in the ortho dept. Seriously, those guys work 90 hours a week and still lift everyday.

can you say DESPERATE? did you know that some really smart person invented venues and events that go on OUTSIDE OF WORK MEETINGS to meet attractive members of the opposite sex? maybe YOU and people like you are the biggest disappointment, nilf.

and hotness does not equal competitiveness. im sorry but if u've seen the radiologist out of their caves.. damn (in a lower on a scale of one to ten way) ditto with a few other competitive specialties.

i'm not putting on a cuter outfit just so i can have someone like you ogle me at a future meeting..

can you say DESPERATE? did you know that some really smart person invented venues and events that go on OUTSIDE OF WORK MEETINGS to meet attractive members of the opposite sex? maybe YOU and people like you are the biggest disappointment, nilf.

and hotness does not equal competitiveness. im sorry but if u've seen the radiologist out of their caves.. damn (in a lower on a scale of one to ten way) ditto with a few other competitive specialties.

i'm not putting on a cuter outfit just so i can have someone like you ogle me at a future meeting..

LOL a bit insecure aren't you? Yet your flamepost reinforces my point...

It's attractive women who gravitate to high-power fields... Not necessarily men... Guys don't need to be attractive. Remember what the notorious ******* and war criminal Henry Kissinger said... Power is the strongest aphrodisiac... Guys in hot specialties got power. This is why radiologists look the way they do. The derm dudes at the conferences at my place look like a GeekSquad from local computer store. But they are surrounded by pure female hotness.

Are those double standards? Sure. Is it unfair? Hell yeah. But this is the way it is.

Maybe NILF should post a picture of himself... It might help us understand and sympathize with his situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys don't need to be attractive

The heck they don't.

I wasn't at USCAP Boston, but I was at USCAP Denver and saw at least three male pathologists wearing black leather vests. Black leather vests are only acceptable if you are a Hell's Angel. I would go as far as to state that male pathologists are the most poorly groomed of any medical specialty.

In response to the OP, despite my frizzy (cut by Julien at Fekkai) hair, sallow (tanned by driving in my convertible and moisturized/exfoliated by Natura Bisse) complexion, and frumpy (Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen) clothing, I still managed to find someone to marry my hideous female pathologist self. It sounds like Nilf has a case of sour grapes.

I didn't realize USCAP was the hook-up hotspot for pathologists. I think we need to start a poll regarding which program has the best partyers. I wasn't there at USCAP but based on the ten interviews I went on I am going to vote for MGH, with Duke number two.

Every place is a potential hook up site for men.. we're just like that. We'd probably hump a tree if we didn't get splinters. (and the tree was an 8 or 9 of course)

Funny because I am at a hospital in california where female pathology residents are known for their hotness.

I have been to other meetings - I don't really see much difference. There are fugly pathologists, fugly dermatologists, whatever. People who are convinced that dermatologists are beautiful people will find evidence to support that, no matter how hard they have to try. And people who are convinced pathologists are fugly will give more weight to the sloppy dresser with BO.

It so obvious that NILF was threatened by the female presence at the USCAP when it comes to research and presentations etc and therefore is attempting to reduce us to the level of meat or something to be auctioned or traded.

Who cruises a pathology convention for tail? That is truly lame and pathetic. You should really take this displaced energy and use it to improve yourself.

A man with a good job, healthy spirit, and positive attitude is way more attractive to women then some desperate nerd on the prowl at a glorified science convention who then whines about it anonymously on a message board.

Lets see some pictures !! Put up or shut up!!

<O:p</O:p:sleep:

I'm a single female who just matched into pathology, but I agree. Pathologists don't get to socialize much outside the few people in our department. It's not like we get to interact with medicine, surgery, peds, or FP residents like those people in clinical fields. I say any function that gets us away from the normal 15 or so people we see everyday is a chance we should take to find a hot guy or girl. Hey Nilf, have no fear, I'll be at next year's USCAP meeting and while I won't presume to know my numerical score, I promise you my hair is not frazzled, my teeth are pearly white, and "frumpy" is the last word anyone would use to describe my wardrobe.

I think we need to start a poll regarding which program has the best partyers. I wasn't there at USCAP but based on the ten interviews I went on I am going to vote for MGH, with Duke number two.

I can vouch for both these programs in regard to the party-factor. Residents at both these places know how to kick it. Good times... :thumbup:

I'm a single female who just matched into pathology, but I agree. Pathologists don't get to socialize much outside the few people in our department. It's not like we get to interact with medicine, surgery, peds, or FP residents like those people in clinical fields. I say any function that gets us away from the normal 15 or so people we see everyday is a chance we should take to find a hot guy or girl. Hey Nilf, have no fear, I'll be at next year's USCAP meeting and while I won't presume to know my numerical score, I promise you my hair is not frazzled, my teeth are pearly white, and "frumpy" is the last word anyone would use to describe my wardrobe.

That's the spirit! More applicants like you and soon pathology will be more competitive than derm, plastics and radonc.

I second that! Hmmmm.... I wonder how many of you guys were assigning me a number last week...

PathJet, I couldn't agree more. You guys have some nerve to criticize us, and I'm willing to bet you're no prizes yourselves. Forgive us for being too busy doing research, studying for boards, and taking care of our families to put the extra effort into making ourselves resemble a freakin' Barbie doll.

As others have suggested, why don't you do everyone a favor and stop looking to hook up at academic meetings? Women have enough challenges to their success in academic medicine without worrying about sex-starved colleagues ogling them while they're trying to present their research or, god forbid, learn something.

If you can't respect us as colleagues, at least try to recognize that many of us are wives and mothers who have infinitely more important things in life to worry about than our appearances.

Forgive us for being too busy doing research, studying for boards, and taking care of our families to put the extra effort into making ourselves resemble a freakin' Barbie doll.

wait a second I always thought when you had a family of your own it was socially acceptable to look completely disheveled, is that not true?

PathJet, I couldn't agree more. You guys have some nerve to criticize us, and I'm willing to bet you're no prizes yourselves. Forgive us for being too busy doing research, studying for boards, and taking care of our families to put the extra effort into making ourselves resemble a freakin' Barbie doll.

As others have suggested, why don't you do everyone a favor and stop looking to hook up at academic meetings? Women have enough challenges to their success in academic medicine without worrying about sex-starved colleagues ogling them while they're trying to present their research or, god forbid, learn something.

'Ogling'? More like cursory glance.

For average male, it takes only 1 second to evaluate a female and make a binary 'STOP' or 'GO' decision. I can afford 1 second out of my day.

Some social 'scientists' found out that when a woman dyes her hair blond, it increases her attractiveness score among males by equivalent of 4 years of college education. Cruel, but true.

Humans like to be surrounded by attractive humans. Attractive people tend to be more successful. Once I overheard attendings discussing applicants looks, it was kinda gross but funny none the less.

I knew someone had turn this into a women's rights tirade at some point. thank you gloria "skoller" steinem.

I knew someone had turn this into a women's rights tirade at some point. thank you gloria "skoller" steinem.

Well women have some rights, hey at least they can't vote! right guys!

For average male, it takes only 1 second to evaluate a female and make a binary 'STOP' or 'GO' decision. I can afford 1 second out of my day.

Some social 'scientists' found out that when a woman dyes her hair blond, it increases her attractiveness score among males by equivalent of 4 years of college education. Cruel, but true.

Humans like to be surrounded by attractive humans. Attractive people tend to be more successful. Once I overheard attendings discussing applicants looks, it was kinda gross but funny none the less.

I wonder what shaving your head bald instead of having a rediculous comb-over would do for some of the men I see at the meetings......

There's a difference between right and wrong.. and true and false. I definitely don't seem to see people I'd be attracted to at these meetings either. And to get with someone they need a good billboard (looks) to even get me to look to see if the inside is just as attractive. But for that there are plenty of bars and clubs or other places to hit up after the day sessions anyway.

I don't think pathology is going to be any more popular if all the women AND men become calendar models though. Pathology is just not what people think of first when they think medicine, except in extraordinary cases.

On the other hand I can't imagine the long term complications that could happen if I tried to hook up or date someone that was going to be a colleague of mine in pathology for the next 30 or 40 years. I'd rather date someone as far away from medicine as I can find. Everyone else at these meetings I'm happy to just have as plutonic friends or acquaintances, so the lack of attractive possibilities is probably a good thing in the long run.

It was women.

You must have missed me, I am definitely an 11 (at least):smuggrin: .

• Love
Some social 'scientists' found out that when a woman dyes her hair blond, it increases her attractiveness score
Unless she's Asian. :lol:

among males by equivalent of 4 years of college education.
Now wait a minute. Your treatise was based on what the average male finds attractive in females. Last I looked, education isn't close to being anywhere near the top of the list.

Come on, you know you love an ol'-fashioned feminist tirade.

Giovoni, my husband happens to be a pathologist - one of the few hot guys in pathology, incidentally - and so far it's really not bad being in the same profession. We have a ginormous library of pathology books (our book allowance is $1000 each per year), and we save on hotel rooms when we go to the same conferences.

So from your comments I assume you're short, bald and single. Hot girls were there, we just weren't hanging out in the convention center all day :D

There is nothing more overrated on Earth than hot women. Lads, be wary of really hot females, be very very wary.

There will come a time, when for so long you have labored in the solace of your mom's basement playing Dungeons and Dragons imaging hot love with an elf maiden while your best friend filled the "void" as the dungeon master, you emerge into the world a young professional with a stable job.

They will descend upon you like army ants of South America, swarming, cutting off your small leafy parts and taking it back to their nest. Have you seen a poor jungle critter when the ants are done with it? WELL HAVE YOU?? Its not pretty folks.

Find an average looking girl who is smart, who likes to stay at home and watch a zombie movie with you on a Friday night, content to eat KFC from the bucket.

Trust me....be warned, be warned....

• Haha
So from your comments I assume you're short, bald and single. Hot girls were there, we just weren't hanging out in the convention center all day :D

maybe you were at one of the plentiful shi*ty bars across the street?

There is nothing more overrated on Earth than hot women. Lads, be wary of really hot females, be very very wary.

There will come a time, when for so long you have labored in the solace of your mom's basement playing Dungeons and Dragons imaging hot love with an elf maiden while your best friend filled the "void" as the dungeon master, you emerge into the world a young professional with a stable job.

They will descend upon you like army ants of South America, swarming, cutting off your small leafy parts and taking it back to their nest. Have you seen a poor jungle critter when the ants are done with it? WELL HAVE YOU?? Its not pretty folks.

Find an average looking girl who is smart, who likes to stay at home and watch a zombie movie with you on a Friday night, content to eat KFC from the bucket.

Trust me....be warned, be warned....

Instinctively I know you're right... But this bit of wisdom works in theory only... Not when you are faced by the said elfqueen in real life, at arm's length...

Two words: plastic surgery.

If you want a field with a gendered, bimodal distribution of hotness, PRS blows derm out of the water. Patients can accept a dumpy Woody Allen type in a dude, but the chick who's going to make them beautiful better be smoking.

Giovoni, my husband happens to be a pathologist - one of the few hot guys in pathology, incidentally - and so far it's really not bad being in the same profession. We have a ginormous library of pathology books (our book allowance is $1000 each per year), and we save on hotel rooms when we go to the same conferences.

Awesome that it works out for you that way! I hadn't thought of combining book libraries that's definitely an advantage..usually it's the doubling of the wardrobe that has it's appeal in my position. But a closet full of scrubs + a closet full of scrubs is still boring.

It was women.

The same can be said about the young dorky dudes in bow ties or average male Pathology nerd types.

Status
Not open for further replies.