The 04/19/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN2013

Athens
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
38 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What were you scoring during practice tests that make a balanced 31 so bad??

Well the general range from when i first took an AAMC exam to the last one was from 28-34.

But the last few were 32 and 34 and I felt as good coming out of the April Exam as I did with the practice. I was projecting a 33-34 because I had been on such a steady increase in scores and I thought I had learned so much more about strategy in general from the past few exams..

It just breaks my heart to have dipped in performance when I was doing so well in very similar testing situations.

I'm sorry if my comments seemed out of place. I have a tendency to be hard on myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow nice scores Julia. I got right in the middle of my AAMC's 11V, 10P, 11B. Good enough for me. I just wasted 210 dollars on the May 31 exam though!!!

You can't put 32 with a mad face without explaining...

Was it a 15,2,15...
Did you average 41 on AAMC practice tests...

Lol please explain this so the SDN-Super Keeners stereotype isn't furthered

What exactly is Kaplan's high score guarantee because I took their course?

If you don't score at least one point above your diagnostic, you can get your money back. Even if you did score above your diagnostic, if you aren't satisfied, you can retake the course for free

If you don't score at least one point above your diagnostic, you can get your money back. Even if you did score above your diagnostic, if you aren't satisfied, you can retake the course for free

Sweet. Do you call, email them or what to get this?

I got a 30N.
9 VR, 9 PS, 12 BS

I told myself before and after the test that if I got a 30 or higher I wouldn't retake it. So I met that goal, but I'm disappointed because my AAMC test average was higher than that, by several points.

I'm not quite sure what to do. The thought of studying for this exam again and stressing out about it is making me sick, but with my extracurriculars I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough.

OK I've cooled off a bit.

30Q - 09 PS 10 VR 11 BS

Last time I took I got a 29O. 08 PS 11 VR 10BS

So my PS and BS went up 1 each but my VR went down 1 which SUCKS since that's the most important section from what I can gather. So schools might assume I've become stupider over the last 9 months :)

BUT - I just have to remind myself that it could have been worse. I could have gone down overall and at least that didn't happen. And I'm not applying to any ivy league schools or anything so perhaps my 30 will be adequate.

Too bad my dad doesn't know Governor Crist....

PS-11
VR-9
BS-10
Overall: 30

Disappointed, especially with my VR score. Got an 8 on my first take and then practiced until my AAMCs were 10's and 11's. Was expecting a 10 with a slight chance of an 11, ugh. Doesn't really make sense, especially given the fact that I thought I got lucky with the passages I got. I bet I was one question away from a 10 :(...

Come to think of it, I have an eerie feeling that I was one question away from the next score on each and every section. Big difference between a 30 and a 33.

Sweet. Do you call, email them or what to get this?

Yea, call your center. I know they are tight asses about it, so they will require you to prove you did all the work and it can't be more than a few months since your course ended. If you call they will give you all the details

Members don't see this ad :)
40S -- 12PS 13VR 15BS

I'm so happy I could throw up. The verbal's lower than I was getting in practice exams, but my highest in bio had been a 13. Not bad for someone who's never taken a physics or organic chemistry course! Thanks Princeton Review!

You can't put 32 with a mad face without explaining...

Was it a 15,2,15...
Did you average 41 on AAMC practice tests...

Lol please explain this so the SDN-Super Keeners stereotype isn't furthered

I averaged ~34 on AAMC practice tests. 10-11VR, 12-14PS, 12-14BS

I scored 8VR, 12PS, 12BS.

I would love to blame it on my appy the tues before, but I guess I can only blame myself. My VR score absolutely pisses me off at the moment.

26M
PS 6 :barf::barf::cry:

VB 10 :wow::wow::bow: All I can say his EK Verbal. i didn't even do extensive practice verbal after finishing that manual.

BS:10 :cool: I thought i made 10-12 on this section

How I feel: :zip::banana::mad::

28O
PS: 7(meh)
VR: 10(YES)
BS: 11(YES)

I'm happy. I could take it again if needed(I have a 3.5 GPA) but I'm HAPPY that I made a good enough score.
What do you guys think of that? Take again or keep it?

PS 13
VR 15 (what the heck? Never in a single practice test did I do this or close)
BS 14

42R

I feel very lucky. Was praying for something several points below. Verbal surprised me as my practices were mostly 12s.

28O
PS: 7(meh)
VR: 10(YES)
BS: 11(YES)

I'm happy. I could take it again if needed(I have a 3.5 GPA) but I'm HAPPY that I made a good enough score.
What do you guys think of that? Take again or keep it?

My guess would be that a retake is necessary because of the unbalance. I'm no expert though, so don't take my word for it

26Q :(:mad::mad::mad:

9/6/11. I'm really really disappointed. I'm planning on applying to DO schools, but now worried that 6 is going to totally stand out. I really don't want to take this test again.

Thoughts?

PS 13
VR 15 (what the heck? Never in a single practice test did I do this or close)
BS 14

42R

I feel very lucky. Was praying for something several points below. Verbal surprised me as my practices were mostly 12s.

Hi troll.

34R - ps 12 vr 9 bs 13 R

AAMC practice range ps 12-15, vr 7-11, bs 13-15.
I scored on the lower end of my practices but not below, so I'm not retaking. Does anyone think my writing score will help my verbal score? Or is writing basically ignored?

Congratulations to everyone. I hope we all obtain our dreams.:luck:

34R - ps 12 vr 9 bs 13 R

AAMC practice range ps 12-15, vr 7-11, bs 13-15.
I scored on the lower end of my practices but not below, so I'm not retaking. Does anyone think my writing score will help my verbal score? Or is writing basically ignored?

Congratulations to everyone. I hope we all obtain our dreams.:luck:

Unless you are applying MD/phd I would get rid of UWSOM. They are nearly impossible OOS. ALthough, plus side is that they screen for secondaries, so at least they wont just try to get your money

Unless you are applying MD/phd I would get rid of UWSOM. They are nearly impossible OOS. ALthough, plus side is that they screen for secondaries, so at least they wont just try to get your money

Pretty much what Doc Henry said.
06-07 straight from the MSAR

2774 OOS applied
100 OOS interviewed
16 OOS matriculated
7 belonged to the MD/PhD program

PS: 13
VR: 9 (wtf)
BS: 13
writing: M (wtf)

35M, 94-96 percentile

with a 4.0 and solid EC's and LORs i wonder if the higher ups will take me.
what do you think?

nevermind, FOUR MONTHS for rescoring a writing sample + $50 is rediculous.

Btw just cancelled my June 13th registration, for those of you wanting a spot hurry and register

Ok, oouuuffffff 39T :banana::banana::banana::banana:
PS-15 :clap:Vr-9 :thumbdown: Bs-15 :clap:
can someone take a point off the sciences and add it to the verbal? :laugh: lol. I couldn't be more happy with the science scores. I guess finishing early didn't hurt me haha. I was averaging 12 and 13s on my last AAMC verbals but the real deal says I am only as good as a 9. My guess is that my lack of confidence in this section probably affected my performance. I said I would retake if I got a verbal score below a 10 but I wasn't anticipating getting perfects in the sciences. So will I retake? nope. I started out with an 18 on my diagnostic. I literally doubled my score. It took me 7 months of patience and perseverance. I didn't practice the writting once, but I ended up with a T, that's all there is to it, that section is a joke. I never want to look at an MCAT book or test ever, ever, ever again in my life. My MDapps page is now complete.

Ok, oouuuffffff 39T :banana::banana::banana::banana:
PS-15 :clap:Vr-9 :thumbdown: Bs-15 :clap:
can someone take a point off the sciences and add it to the verbal? :laugh: lol. I couldn't be more happy with the science scores. I guess finishing early didn't hurt me haha. I was averaging 12 and 13s on my last AAMC verbals but the real deal says I am only as good as a 9. My guess is that my lack of confidence in this section probably affected my performance. I said I would retake if I got a verbal score below a 10 but I wasn't anticipating getting perfects in the sciences. So will I retake? nope. I started out with an 18 on my diagnostic. I literally doubled my score. It took me 7 months of patience and perseverance. I didn't practice the writting once, but I ended up with a T, that's all there is to it, that section is a joke. I never want to look at an MCAT book or test ever, ever, ever again in my life.

mterp!! wow congrats!!!!! i remember you posted some advice for us about verbal ..im so happy for yoU! way to go!...

ps make a thread and tell us how did you perfect those sciences!! :)

Hey thanks guys, am in such a good mood that I can barely study for my finals and I got two more on the way. The science scores will look really nice next to my BCPM :D. I will certainly make a thread to try to help someone out. I have been blessed with this score, so I have to give as much back as possible. I love SDN. feel free to keep sending me PMs and I will get to them after finals.

mterp!! wow congrats!!!!! i remember you posted some advice for us about verbal ..im so happy for yoU! way to go!...

ps make a thread and tell us how did you perfect those sciences!! :)

anything between 13 to 15 is 50% luck, 25% knowledge, 25% performance.

He's very good at the sciences, combined with a good test day, = 15's.

I was expecting 12-13 on sciences, I had a nice test day, I guessed on the last 4 questions in PS section chemistry passage, I must of guessed at least half of them right. I completely ran out of time due to spending 4 minutes deciding if this element was a metal or non-metal, don't ask me why, I don't know, it was the first discrete

So should I keep my score? I made a 10 on the PS the first time. Do they even look at that?

31S
VR: 12
PS:9
Bio:10

I'm so upset about my score considering I was in the mid-30s range for my practice tests. :mad: I am a California resident and my GPA is 3.500, and I have ok EC's and research (pretty much what everyone else has), but this mediocre score doesn't do me any good considering I have a mediocre GPA. Should I bother applying to med school this year? Should I retake the MCAT? Any comments would be greatly appreciated bc Im freaking out right now. :eek: Thanks in advance!!

seriously, to anyone that is complaining about a 30+ score just b/c its a few points below your AAMC.....

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

PS: 13
VR: 9 (wtf)
BS: 13
writing: M (wtf)

35M, 94-96 percentile

with a 4.0 and solid EC's and LORs i wonder if the higher ups will take me.
what do you think?

nope. retake and get nothing below a 15 on each section.

nice! two 15s!!!!
congrats.

would u be kind and honest to tell me how was the test difficulty compared to the AAMCs?
I mean where the qeuestions straight forward?
I checked the scores april 18th, the scores on 19th is not even comparable to the 18th. alot of 15s 14s, which tells me the test was quite straight forward, stupid mistakes were costly

Lots of great scores as always.. congrats to everyone who got what they wanted and has watched their hard work pay off! Margaritas :hardy:!

Premed,
You're making wild generalizations based on a small sample of the testing population. Keep in mind a few things
(1) SDN is full of overachievers, the number of 35+ scores seen on here is mindboggling. If you don't believe me, look at the percentile ranks on AMCAS. Avoid making any generalizations about curves involving certain test dates based on a single thread, which represents an ridiculously small sample size compared to the entire population of testers.
(2) You need to do a lot more than avoid a couple of "dumb mistakes" to score a 35+, no matter what the test date is

Although I know that this thread doesn't account for the majority of mcat exam takers, I'm still wondering why the April 19th scores are so much higher than the April 18th scores. For those who have taken the April 19th exam, did you feel your exam was very difficult which maybe resulted in a larger curve. Also, since you took the test on a Saturday "did it result in less stress?"

Well for one, there are a few posters who just make up their score. Second, when most people post good scores those who did not do well are too intimidated to post theirs (which is probably the reason for statement one). This also works the other way around. When people see a lot of low scores posted, people are not ashamed of their scores too much and have less restraint to post .

To tell you the truth... the scores on the 18th are much more realistic. The average MCAT is around 25 (scores similar to PS-8, VR-8, BS-9 Writing-M). Most people re-take the MCAT and most people don't disclose this information. If you scored poorly, there is no shame in taking the test twice.

I was comparing April 18 and 19 test scores and I'm wondering the same thing. I took it on the 19th and got a 34P, which is within my AAMC score range (33-35). But I really felt like I did a lot worse then my practice tests. I'm not complaining but just wondering if the curve was more generous for 4/19 test. I know I got a couple of questions wrong for sure in both physics and bio and guessed on a few.

How is everyone's score compare to your AAMC practice scores and how you felt like you did?

I was comparing April 18 and 19 test scores and I'm wondering the same thing. I took it on the 19th and got a 34P, which is within my AAMC score range (33-35). But I really felt like I did a lot worse then my practice tests. I'm not complaining but just wondering if the curve was more generous for 4/19 test. I know I got a couple of questions wrong for sure in both physics and bio and guessed on a few.

How is everyone's score compare to your AAMC practice scores and how you felt like you did?

I definitely did worse. I scored within my AAMC practice range, but practically at the very bottom (31,32,35,35,37). I would kill for 2 points in my VR section, but it definitely seems that the general trend is that people are doing worse in the VR section than normal.

As much as I want a better score, I'm gonna suck it up and move on. I didn't believe the SAT was a good indicator of how well I'd do in college, and the same applies to the MCAT with medical school... and that's something I'll tell the adcoms.

Lots of great scores as always.. congrats to everyone who got what they wanted and has watched their hard work pay off! Margaritas :hardy:!

Premed,
You're making wild generalizations based on a small sample of the testing population. Keep in mind a few things
(1) SDN is full of overachievers, the number of 35+ scores seen on here is mindboggling. If you don't believe me, look at the percentile ranks on AMCAS. Avoid making any generalizations about curves involving certain test dates based on a single thread, which represents an ridiculously small sample size compared to the entire population of testers.
(2) You need to do a lot more than avoid a couple of "dumb mistakes" to score a 35+, no matter what the test date is

a look at your profile, you got an impressive MCAT score. I'm not making any generalizations this is what I heard based on friends who took it on that day. By the way how did you score so well, any suggestions??

anything between 13 to 15 is 50% luck, 25% knowledge, 25% performance.

He's very good at the sciences, combined with a good test day, = 15's.

I was expecting 12-13 on sciences, I had a nice test day, I guessed on the last 4 questions in PS section chemistry passage, I must of guessed at least half of them right. I completely ran out of time due to spending 4 minutes deciding if this element was a metal or non-metal, don't ask me why, I don't know, it was the first discrete

well, I would hate to think that 7 months of 10 hour days studying for this test came down to 50% luck.
The breakdown for me was more like 50% hard work which emcompasses knowledge, 30% repetition and scrupulousness down to a science through practice, 15% good test day, thus getting passages that enable me to exploit my strentghs and 5% luck.

well, I would hate to think that 7 months of 10 hour days studying for this test came down to 50% luck.
The breakdown for me was more like 50% hard work which emcompasses knowledge, 30% repetition and scrupulousness down to a science through practice, 15% good test day, thus getting passages that enable me to exploit my strentghs and 5% luck.

yeah great score mterp! 15's in the sciences, that's amazing :thumbup: