Thank You notes for fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lubdub79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How have you all been handling "thank you" notes to your interviewers?
Written vs e-mail?
How have you handled "panel" interview thank you notes?
Do they even make a difference?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How have you all been handling "thank you" notes to your interviewers?
Written vs e-mail?
How have you handled "panel" interview thank you notes?
Do they even make a difference?
Thanks!

I don't know if this is the recommended way. But I've been sending handwritten notes to the PD unless it was someone else important who was my main interviewer. For instance, at one program, the PD didnt' do any interviews which I'm assuming is due to him stepping down soon and they had already hired the person the fellows stated was going to be his replacement.

Applying last year I sent thank yous exclusively by email - your interviewers may actually respond if you communicate by email, and the turnaround is obviously much faster.

Panel interviews I would just email each interviewer sepearately.

I've been told by some of the PDs that you will not be considered seriously unless there is some expression of interest from you post interview - this doesn't have to be thank you notes per say, it could just be a note to the PD or chairman, or somebody that you connected well with, expressing that you remain interested in the program. If you don't make some attempt to communicate, most programs will assume you're not interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told by some of the PDs that you will not be considered seriously unless there is some expression of interest from you post interview - this doesn't have to be thank you notes per say, it could just be a note to the PD or chairman, or somebody that you connected well with, expressing that you remain interested in the program. If you don't make some attempt to communicate, most programs will assume you're not interested.

I agree with this. I think you could/can use various modes of communication.