Text book for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I was wondering what are some basic textbooks people read during fm residency? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There's really not one textbook I've used throughout residency. In my intern and part of my second year I would use Harrison's, Nelson's, etc. based on what rotation I was on. Anymore I use past issues of the AFP journal online or UpToDate when I need to look something up. I can't remember the last time I picked up a textbook. I think UpToDate is worth purchasing. Oh, and I've also used MD consult at times.

Dean

One book I would recommend is "Procedures for Primary Care Physicians". I'm sure your residency will probably have it in their library, but I think you'll want to purchase it eventually for your practice. For a family physician, this book will cover any procedure you might do and a lot you will never perform.

Dean

Members don't see this ad :)
One book I would recommend is "Procedures for Primary Care Physicians". I'm sure your residency will probably have it in their library, but I think you'll want to purchase it eventually for your practice. For a family physician, this book will cover any procedure you might do and a lot you will never perform.

Dean

thanks thats good to know

Books are so 80's. ;) You really don't want to lug those things around. Get a PDA with Epocrates and whatever else you want. That's what everyone I know uses.

Books are so 80's. ;) You really don't want to lug those things around. Get a PDA with Epocrates and whatever else you want. That's what everyone I know uses.

does anyone miss the feel of textbooks. i actually like the feel of them.
:oops:
i must be old school in that aspect.

does anyone miss the feel of textbooks. i actually like the feel of them. i must be old school in that aspect.

i'm the same way: I LOVE READING FROM BOOKS, even if they have no pictures ;)

i still have my loaded PDA, but it's just not hte same. whne i get home and have a chance to read, i jump at the chance to read a good medical text. :thumbup:

I've always liked the "Five Minute Clinical Consult" series. There's still a dead tree version for those of you who are old-fashioned. ;)

During residency, I tended to use a variety of specialty-specific references. I rarely found any of the textbooks of family medicine to be all that helpful.

I used a great little derm reference the other day by Habif (can't remember the title--anyone know?). Had pics as well as treatment. Very nice.

I plan on gettting that one next year.

Anyone else have suggestions for books they like to keep on the shelf in your work space or your pocket?

I do use a PDA, but some things are nice to see a whole page at a glance, like Pocket Medicine. Love that little book. :love:

Clinical Dermatology by Habif? I have it but its not exactly small. Not Robbins big, but nonetheless.

On one of my interviews, the faculty showed me a study guide for residents put out by the AAFP. It has questions on topics that residents are supposed to know (similar to the MKSAP for med students on internal medicine rotations). I don't know what's the name of this study guide/question book. Is it something that all fp residents get from the residency program or do you have to buy it on your own? Thanks! :D

was it an in-service exam that he showed you, perhaps?

was it an in-service exam that he showed you, perhaps?

Hmm.. I don't think it was the in-service exam. (Otherwise, he would have told me... I think). It's a book with questions and the residents do certain sections on their own and then get together with faculty and other residents to go over the answers (depending on the individual fp program, of course). He also told me that it's something residents can use to assess their knowledge and independently study topics that they are weak on. It has a bunch of mini tests that you can take...

It looks like an excellent study guide and I wish I knew the name of it...

On one of my interviews, the faculty showed me a study guide for residents put out by the AAFP. It has questions on topics that residents are supposed to know (similar to the MKSAP for med students on internal medicine rotations). I don't know what's the name of this study guide/question book. Is it something that all fp residents get from the residency program or do you have to buy it on your own? Thanks! :D

Sounds like NMS Family. Great series.