best book for FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sikrouf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, i'm currently a psychiatrist, for varions reasons i'll be doing more and more familly medecine, i'm looking for some books to dive into the subject, do you have any recommendation?
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on exactly what you'll be doing. Family medicine is a very broad field so to give good recommendations I'd need to know at least some details about what your set up will be.

Reactions: 1 users
hello, i'm currently a psychiatrist, for varions reasons i'll be doing more and more familly medecine, i'm looking for some books to dive into the subject, do you have any recommendation?
thank you
Get any FP board review book

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you
You'll get the best information from studying specific topics. Are you looking at managing something in particular? HTN, DM2, etc? Some of the best resources are things like UpToDate or the AFP By the Topic articles for these. Those will help for basic management of some of these conditions.

Realistically without the training of managing these over time along with managing the other medical conditions in FM, you will not be able to recognize and manage all potential complications related to them. Because of this, I would still try to partner with primary care for management of your patients if possible. You'd be doing a great service to your patients by managing some of this though.

You will absolutely not regret having more training in primary care. You'd also be unique among psychiatrists that I've seen in the community.

To give some examples I've had in the last month:
-New DM2 with very clear practically diagnostic standard symptoms. Seen twice by psychiatrist over the course of months and referred to symptoms as "likely medical issue". Saw them as diagnostic for transfer to our clinic, very suspicious for new DM2 (also on 2 SGAs). Did labs, and they had an A1c of >15%. Eliminated 1 SGA, started metformin with a plan to start GLP-1 (they didn't want insulin), counseled on diet, and fortunately they had a PCP visit within weeks. Management could have started months ago earlier.
-Another discharged inpatient unit after 2 wks, sent out on 5 anti-hypertensives. 2 were comically underdosed (like <50% of the recommended lowest initial dose) and one was not scheduled appropriately for BP control (i.e. a QID medicine prescribed BID). The patient had no idea why, was on 1-2 prior to admission, had no PCP follow-up, and no management plan. Eliminated the 2 with almost no BP change, titrated one, and adjusted the rest to improve adherence (e.g. daily meds were prescribed as BID or TID or smaller tabs prescribed as take 2-3 tabs instead of just one tab, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
20221201_090854.jpg

So I picked those up to start with, there was a sale at elsevier

Thank you for your advices 🙂