Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we need to include parental info in FAFSA to get one of the school grants?

Members don't see this ad :)
the teaching quality really depends on the block. Anatomy had really good teachers because they've been doing it for so long and have got their stuff down and I would say that so far anatomy has been the most well organized block yet. It did have a couple profs that sucked, one is because he hasn't taught embryo before...well...and he sucks...nice guy but he just plain sucks at teaching. The other teaches the neuro stuff and he works in the IT dept., still haven't figured out why he teaches neuro. You can tell he doesn't know exactly why things happen but he knows what he's suppost to teach and he does, just don't ask him why things happen cuz he'll redirect the question at you by saying, "why do you think it happens?"

BCT had a really good set of of teachers. They knew what they were talking about and taught in a very no nonsense way. Plus they provided powerpoints and printed notes, it was nice. One of the teachers gives a list of about 20 questions per lecture that he says all his exam questions will come from. So if you do those 20 and understand the answers you will ace his exam questions.

MOS teachers suck completely so far. All but one have such thick accents it's diffucult to follow what they're saying. The one we had friday was absolutely horrible though, not only did he have an accent but he didn't teach, he just went through his powerpoint and explained what the graphs meant but he didn't explain anything or how they were relevant. I have no idea what he what he was suppose to teach. It was his first teaching assignment though, so maybe he'll get better?

As far as skipping, there are a lot of people that never show up for class, I'm one of those people who likes to go because it get's me in school mode for the rest of the day. But since we have scribes there really isn't much of a need to.

I'd agree with most of this post. Anatomy is very well run, except for about 1 hour taught by the "IT guy". I thought BCT was easy so I didn't show up much. I actually liked a majority of the MOS teachers, but there is 1 I can think of that is pretty bad with the whole english language thing. Host defense has some really good teachers and some pretty bad ones. Overall, host defense profs have really good notes, and I found little need to attend class because of it. Second year, the profs are even better.....in my opinion. Dr. Tenner is AMAZING!

Granted my opinions are a couple years out.....current MSIII.

Anyone on here that hasn't gotten a prematch offer from Tech but is hoping to match there? Does anyone know if Tech accepts a lot through the match?

Anyone on here that hasn't gotten a prematch offer from Tech but is hoping to match there? Does anyone know if Tech accepts a lot through the match?

Me!

dont know, but i hope so! :D

yes!
did you?

we could be future classmates! teehee!:D

I did rank them #1. That would definitely be cool. I stayed an extra night after my interview and went out with some MS IIs. Had a great time. Really hoping to match there too.

I did rank them #1. That would definitely be cool. I stayed an extra night after my interview and went out with some MS IIs. Had a great time. Really hoping to match there too.

:luck: to us both!

I also stayed an extra couple nights (with my cousin who is there for UG)... and went to football game Med students (I-III year) It was awesome- hope you guys both match in- I am very excited about next year

Hey guys... I graduated from Tech a couple years back now. I stayed in Lubbock for years 3 and 4.

I am out in Mississippi now doing residency in Emergency Medicine. Texas Tech is a GREAT medical school. I really enjoyed my time there. I was from northern Texas so it was not much different than my hometown. Friendly people and cheap living....

Lubbock is on my short list of places to 'work' one day!

I personally bought a home while I was there, but I do not think you can go wrong at about any of the apartments. If you have interests in staying in Lubbock, I would apply for that and if you get it, certainly consider buying a home. I bought a home there for just over 50K less than 2 miles from campus.. I did some minor work and sold for a nice profit. I certainly never regretted buying a home.

Good Luck! Feel free to PM if there are any questions you have!

Hey guys... I graduated from Tech a couple years back now. I stayed in Lubbock for years 3 and 4.

I am out in Mississippi now doing residency in Emergency Medicine. Texas Tech is a GREAT medical school. I really enjoyed my time there. I was from northern Texas so it was not much different than my hometown. Friendly people and cheap living....

Lubbock is on my short list of places to 'work' one day!

I personally bought a home while I was there, but I do not think you can go wrong at about any of the apartments. If you have interests in staying in Lubbock, I would apply for that and if you get it, certainly consider buying a home. I bought a home there for just over 50K less than 2 miles from campus.. I did some minor work and sold for a nice profit. I certainly never regretted buying a home.

Good Luck! Feel free to PM if there are any questions you have!

It's a little higher now than it was in 2003 so I wouldn't expect any that cheap with that location; I looked. But yea, still is cheap in comparison to most other places.

On a side note, we are gonna be discussing "spring training" tomorrow and pitching ideas on what to do. I'd expect it to take place sometime in april since our current phys block has tests every other week. I'll let you know what we end up deciding. I'm sure you'll get emails or something about it later on. Matter of fact, if you have facebook there is already a group for the 2013ers.

Also, if you guys have any ideas other than an apt tour that you'd like to do then let me know. Keep in mind that this is really more of a get together just to meet everyone in your class and to ask us questions; i'm not sure if we'd be able to pull off getting faculty to meet you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be coming in for spring training- I am going to come during my spring break because I can't miss lab and my schedule is really tight...

Hope your meeting goes well!

... stuff about spring training...

hey 216! how'd the meeting go? can the apt tour also include a townhouse/duplex/neighborhood tour?

what does spring trainging normally look like? 3-4day weekend? (i also have a pretty packed schedule :thumbdown: booooo :laugh: but i really want to be there for aaaaaaaalllllllll of it!!!)

hey 216! how'd the meeting go? can the apt tour also include a townhouse/duplex/neighborhood tour?

what does spring trainging normally look like? 3-4day weekend? (i also have a pretty packed schedule :thumbdown: booooo :laugh: but i really want to be there for aaaaaaaalllllllll of it!!!)

Maggie, I take it that you are sure that the "glitch" is correct. I hope so. If so, I'll be there. I don't mind getting a few days away from the high schoolers that I teach. :smuggrin:

Maggie, I take it that you are sure that the "glitch" is correct. I hope so. If so, I'll be there. I don't mind getting a few days away from the high schoolers that I teach. :smuggrin:

haha, not sure enough to be presumptuous!!!

in reality, i just want to go there so bad, i'll make plans to do extra make up work, even before i know if they'll even let me in!!!

please tech, :love: please.

Meeting is tomorrow, I'll see what the general consensus is on townhouse thing. I'm sure whoever drives ya'll around will tell you about some of the neighborhoods though. As far as what it is, it'll be just a fri-sun thing. We'll have people who will let you stay at their place if you want or you can hotel it if you wish. I'll let you know what goes on tomorrow.

May be u guys can also tell us more about settig up the scribe service, so we are not trying to figure that out first week of classes.

On a side not, how are we able to view other 2013ers on facebook?

well guys if the "glitch" was right that means I am officially going to tech. :thumbup:I ranked A&M higher, but only because of the location really...and now my b/f might be able to leave college station in december, so perhaps all things happen for a reason.

Seems like we have a pretty cool bunch thus far. Welcome aboard Maggie & teacherman. (again assuming the "glitch" was right...which i can't imagine it wouldn't have been).

Now I begin my apartment/duplex/good coffee place search :laugh: too bad I can't take sweet eugene's with me!

oh and the facebook group is Texas Tech School of Medicine Class of 2013. Just search it in the groups function.

well guys if the "glitch" was right that means I am officially going to tech. :thumbup:I ranked A&M higher, but only because of the location really...and now my b/f might be able to leave college station in december, so perhaps all things happen for a reason.

Seems like we have a pretty cool bunch thus far. Welcome aboard Maggie & teacherman. (again assuming the "glitch" was right...which i can't imagine it wouldn't have been).

Now I begin my apartment/duplex/good coffee place search :laugh: too bad I can't take sweet eugene's with me!

oh and the facebook group is Texas Tech School of Medicine Class of 2013. Just search it in the groups function.

Thanks. Hoping this is where I end up and will be making another trip to Lubbock in April. Are you going to make it to spring training?

May be u guys can also tell us more about settig up the scribe service, so we are not trying to figure that out first week of classes.

On a side not, how are we able to view other 2013ers on facebook?

Basically, you guys need to set up a committee that is in charge of setting everything thing up as far as rules, scribe schedule, distribution method, and what ever else. I don't mind sending anyone our rules if ya'll need a general guideline. It's nothing hard though, basically, find out who wants to be apart of scribes and make a google group for scribes solely for those people; whoever doesn't want to scribe doesn't get to be apart of the group and won't get to see the scribes. Next, make a scribe schedule; assign everyone to an hour of lecture and post a schedule. Then, decide on how you want the lectures to be transcribed, i.e. word for word, bullets, or whatever. Then the scriber uploads the scribe to the google group and everyone that is apart of the group can download the scribe. The only other part is getting permission to scribe the lectures; the committee just needs to talk to the block leader and make sure it's ok to record the lecture.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about scribes for the anatomy block, we didn't have it and I wouldn't have even used it. There just aren't many lectures, it got the point where we had like two lectures a week and all the other time was spent in the lab.

On a side note, we didn't meet today because some of the officers didn't show up to lecture due to very icy roads...and feeling like hell this morn...we had a test yesterday.

I found us on facebook. Thanks! not too many members on there yet.

I found us on facebook. Thanks! not too many members on there yet.

hey, i'll join if everyone else will put their sdn names down!!! (mine will be pretty obvious! haha)

also, are aggies welcome? :D seems like everyone did their undergrad there...

hey, i'll join if everyone else will put their sdn names down!!! (mine will be pretty obvious! haha)

also, are aggies welcome? :D seems like everyone did their undergrad there...

Well, at least I'll bring some diversity to the class. I went to school a long way from aggieland! However, a lot of the people I work with are aggies and possibly some of that rubbed off on me? And I'll join the facebook group after I have definite confirmation on Fri.

Well, at least I'll bring some diversity to the class. I went to school a long way from aggieland! However, a lot of the people I work with are aggies and possibly some of that rubbed off on me? And I'll join the facebook group after I have definite confirmation on Fri.

I also will bring diversity- I grew up in the Panhandle but moved and went to school in the Atlanta metro area... My one and only trip to Cstat wasn't a very good experience though I know some diehard aggie fans that aren't half bad... lucky for me I have family ties to Tech (uncle went to law school there and cousin there now) so I was raised a WT/Tech fan :)

Hopefully Friday will get here super soon and you can join the group :)

I also will bring diversity- I grew up in the Panhandle but moved and went to school in the Atlanta metro area... My one and only trip to Cstat wasn't a very good experience though I know some diehard aggie fans that aren't half bad... lucky for me I have family ties to Tech (uncle went to law school there and cousin there now) so I was raised a WT/Tech fan :)

Hopefully Friday will get here super soon and you can join the group :)

Yeah, I'm waiting impatiently for Fri. Hopefully it'll be worth it tho. How'd you like Atlanta? I grew up in Iowa, but I am forever a Texan now! My question, if I go to med school at Tech, will I then be allowed to be a true Red Raider fan?

Yeah, I'm waiting impatiently for Fri. Hopefully it'll be worth it tho. How'd you like Atlanta? I grew up in Iowa, but I am forever a Texan now! My question, if I go to med school at Tech, will I then be allowed to be a true Red Raider fan?

Absolutely! i'm a tech graduate, so already a raider. i guess my own diversity is that i'm a nontrad.

Absolutely! i'm a tech graduate, so already a raider. i guess my own diversity is that i'm a nontrad.

I'm a nontrad too! I've been teaching high school science for almost a decade. What do you do now?

I really like Atlanta- I enjoy all the museums and I have always been a Braves fan! But I miss the West Texas sunsets and people are more friendly in West Texas!

I am already a true red raider fan- I have liked them since I was little and my undergrad doesn't have football- and we have surprisingly little school spirit considering we have over 20,000 students.

Teacherman - yes, if everything goes the way it is now I'll be there. I already graduated so i'm just waitressing now. What made you decide to make the change from teacher to med school? I've always thought if I didn't do med school I would teach high school math/science (my degree is in engineering).

Maggie - you should totally join the facebook group. right now i'm the only aggie and it's a little lonely :(.

Maggie - you should totally join the facebook group. right now i'm the only aggie and it's a little lonely :(.

haha, can you last all by your lonesome another 72 hours until the match? i don't want to join it and piss off the match gods and jynx it or anything! :laugh::laugh::laugh: :xf:

(superstitious? eh, paranoia coupled with tmdsas will do it to the best of us!)

are you going through the match to see 'bout a&m or el paso? or is lubbock your first choice?

Teacherman - yes, if everything goes the way it is now I'll be there. I already graduated so i'm just waitressing now. What made you decide to make the change from teacher to med school? I've always thought if I didn't do med school I would teach high school math/science (my degree is in engineering).

My original plan was to do med school in college, but during my last year I was ready to get a break from school. Both my parents are teachers so I guess I fell into that (only for a decade though!). There is a lot about teaching that I love, but I'm fascinated with medicine and can't wait to become a student again. My future goal is to teach med students/residents. I want to preach what I practice. Guess I'm just not really in love with high school science subjects.

And Maggie- I'm with you. I don't want to jinx anything before Friday either! Are you going to be on here?

Guess I'm just not really in love with high school science subjects.

haha, i can remember being a sophomore in high school and thinking:

"*sigh* well, i guess i'm just going to have to be miserable for the next 7 years" !!!! haha, i knew that i wanted to go to med school, and therefore it would be wise to be a science major--but i HATED science in high school!!!!

fortuntely it get's waaaaaayyyyyyy better in undergrad! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

And Maggie- I'm with you. I don't want to jinx anything before Friday either! Are you going to be on here?

will i be on sdn? HELLSERS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you going through the match to see 'bout a&m or el paso? or is lubbock your first choice?

I am going through the match with A&M as my #1 and tech as my #2 (I decided i'd prefer lubbock to el paso). But when the "glitch" happened I didn't see A&M, so i'm not getting my hopes up because it looks like I matched to tech. Which i'm not really disappointed about...i'm really starting to think I belong there more.

Alright, we met up about spring training earlier today and it looks like it's going to be april 17-19; I can't really give you much else than that but I can guarantee it'll be alot better than the one we got. You'll be mailed info about it later on.

[
Maggie - you should totally join the facebook group. right now i'm the only aggie and it's a little lonely :(.[/QUOTE]

who's the little guy in ur pic?

That's my nephew :) He's 2.

Alright, we met up about spring training earlier today and it looks like it's going to be april 17-19; I can't really give you much else than that but I can guarantee it'll be alot better than the one we got. You'll be mailed info about it later on.

can you just fill us in a little bit more on spring training? is it primarily a weekend devoted to finding housing? if we already have housing figured out is there really a need to come? i'll be coming from 2000 miles away so i'm wondering if it's worth the $400 plane ticket.

can you just fill us in a little bit more on spring training? is it primarily a weekend devoted to finding housing? if we already have housing figured out is there really a need to come? i'll be coming from 2000 miles away so i'm wondering if it's worth the $400 plane ticket.

It's not going to be primarily a housing search; we are just going to designate a specific time on saturday to take those around who are interested in looking at apartments. We are going to try to have some classmates who live at the complexes tell you about what it's like living there as well as having their doors open so you can check it out. Then if you're interested you can go talk to the manager.

Now, is it worth $400 to come? I don't know. Just don't read too much into that "training" part; it's not training in any sort of way, it's just a fun get together to let you meet your future classmates and the current first/possibly second years. I can tell you it'll be a fun wknd, but if it's worth the plane fare is up too your financial situation. If you're trying to save money for school and don't need to come check out the housing then I probably wouldn't go for $400. It's neat too meet everyone and all but that's about all you'll get out of it if you don't need to look for housing.

Hi everyone! Looks like there will be a bunch more people here because of the match. :D

On that note, is spring training pretty much analogous to a second look weekend?

POST-MATCH ROLL CALL!!!

who's in?

1. maggie08

POST-MATCH ROLL CALL!!!

who's in?

1. maggie08
2. tigerLSU

]POST-MATCH ROLL CALL!!!

who's in?

1. maggie08
2. tigerLSU
3.teacherman
4. Agshan08

Hi future classmates! I just matched to Texas Tech Lubbock (did NOT have pre-match offer)!!

I'm from DFW, so I'm naturally a little disappointed I didn't match to utsw, but VERY VERY happy I matched to Lubbock!

I didn't read much of anything above my post, just wanted to join in on the group. This is my first post after just registering a few min ago. Long time SDN reader, I just never felt like posting. I've been following the ROT forums this week being a nervous wreck, but I'm so glad I have this match!

oh yea, holla for never having to use tmdsas again:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums guitarqueero!!!!!!! (and :hello: future classmate!!!)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm from the dfw area too--so maybe we can carpool on that looooooooonnnng drive out I-20! haha!

oh yea, holla for never having to use tmdsas again:D
:laugh: might just be the best result about the match--maybe even better than actually getting in! :laugh:

I'll pick everyone up on the way there from Houston!