Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi @wysdoc, I am from OOS and currently attending undergrad in Texas. If I run a tutoring business for a 12-month period while also living in college dorms in Texas, would that count for domicile purposes?

Also, does the 12-month period when I establish domicile need to immediately precede the Nov 1st deadline of the year that I apply, or can it be any 12 months before the deadline? For example, could the 12-month period be from August 2024 to July 2025 if the deadline for the year I apply is November 1, 2026?

Finally, thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @wysdoc, I am from OOS and currently attending undergrad in Texas. If I run a tutoring business for a 12-month period while also living in college dorms in Texas, would that count for domicile purposes?

Also, does the 12-month period when I establish domicile need to immediately precede the Nov 1st deadline of the year that I apply, or can it be any 12 months before the deadline? For example, could the 12-month period be from August 2024 to July 2025 if the deadline for the year I apply is November 1, 2026?

Finally, thank you for your time.
Being in Texas while you are an OOS college student is not a qualifying time period.
If you lived and worked at least 20 hours a week after graduating, and not simultaneously being a student, for 12 consecutive months, that would count.
Work-study jobs in college do not qualify.
Texas tuition is affordable even at the OOS rate but it’s not simple to establish domicile and the loopholes you hear about don’t exist.

I understand completely. I forgot to mention that I am under scholarship, and I was under the impression that if you get a scholarship in Texas undergrad you can get in state tuition for undergrad. Does this matter at all for the designation for in state/OOS for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand completely. I forgot to mention that I am under scholarship, and I was under the impression that if you get a scholarship in Texas undergrad you can get in state tuition for undergrad. Does this matter at all for the designation for in state/OOS for med school?
The rules for the med schools with regards to residency status are more restrictive and specific.
The fact that you got a scholarship to allow you to pay In-state tuition in undergrad still does not make you a Texan, but it's a nice way for the school to make you feel appreciated as an OOS student with this "tuition discount."

There are a few TMDSAS medical schools (not all) who will do this for OOS pre-med students they are trying to recruit. We were discussing this recently here: #171 This is not exactly a scholarship you can apply for, but something one of these schools which wants you might offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @wysdoc ,

If I were to file taxes as an independent, have sole ownership of residential real property in Texas, and live there for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, would that qualify me as a Texas resident for my medical school application without taking a gap year? (considering I am an out-of-state college student and a US citizen).

For context: I found this on the TMDSAS website which leads me to believe that I can establish residency by establishing domicile even though I am living in Texas solely for educational purposes
1710969560514.png

(Residency)

Hi @wysdoc ,

If I were to file taxes as an independent, have sole ownership of residential real property in Texas, and live there for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, would that qualify me as a Texas resident for my medical school application without taking a gap year? (considering I am an out-of-state college student and a US citizen).

For context: I found this on the TMDSAS website which leads me to believe that I can establish residency by establishing domicile even though I am living in Texas solely for educational purposes
View attachment 384323
(Residency)
It looks likely, if you actually live in the residential property. However I’m not the arbiter so when you fill out your TMDSAS primary answer all the questions relating to residency one by one and see what their ruling will be.

Reactions: 1 user