Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been many SDN members recently wondering if they qualify to apply to Texas medical schools as a Texas resident. TMDSAS makes the determination about each applicant by very clear and simple guidelines, detailed on their site. I will provide a link below. Your status will be determined as of October 1 in the year you are applying.
The first 2 paragraphs at link 1 explain that they are classifying you for the purpose of the applicant pool. The IRS, various schools, and various other entities may have slightly different definitions.

1. Please :shy: read the information at this link thoroughly before asking me more questions :prof:
Texas Residency Determination (note: this hyperlink updated 6/2022)

2. TMDSAS keeps a podcast library current on topics you will find interesting or useful.
Podcast #39 does a really nice job of explaining the whole process, in an interview format with the director of TMDSAS and their residency expert. Listen all the way to the end, because they run 4 common scenarios past the expert and she explains why the applicant is/is not categorized as a Texas resident in each case. Anyone who feels the initial determination is erroneous for some reason only has to make a written appeal (info for that is in the link in #1 above). Also, the computer system may make an initial classification on you, but each app is also reviewed by a human being and if they see that the classification needs adjusting, they might do that for you, no appeal process needed.

Now you have your assignment, class dismissed!
Wysdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'll make a few more comments here about common situations - I wanted to keep the initial post clear and short.

1. You grew up in Texas but went to college out of state. Your parents still live in Texas. You are still considered in-state.
2. You also went to grad school out of state. You did some TA stuff or a paid internship or some scribing. As long as your primary reason for being there was education, and all these jobs were understood to be short-term, you are still considered in-state.
3. You are from out of state but have gone to college in Texas all 4 years. Sorry, you are not a Texan, because your primary reason for being in TX was to attend school.
4. You grew up in Texas, but went to college out of state and then after graduation you worked there full time and filed taxes there for 3 years, then decided it's time to apply to med school. Sorry, you are now a resident of that other state.
5. "But I want to be a Texan!" Move to Texas, work here for 12 or more consecutive months which must wrap up before October 1 of the year you want to apply, and by golly, you're a Texan. ( going to school for a year or having a work-study job does not count).

Well, why is this such a big deal? Texas strongly supports and subsidizes the state med schools for the benefit of Texas residents. Texas statutes require that 90% or more of each class be Texas residents. Texas med school tuition is between $17,677 and $20,521 a year. Yes, a bargain.

BUT, what if you apply and get in as an out-of-state student? The MOST you will pay for tuition at any Texas state-subsidized school is $33,621.
Our OOS tuition is LESS than the in-state tuition of all but 23 med schools in the US. Most med school in-state tuition is closer to $50,000.
Coming to a Texas medical school as an out of state student is still a great value.

TMDSAS is very responsive to questions, so ask them if you are unclear. Try to know what the situation is before you apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
From Baylor website:

Admissions Process

"The determination of residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by statutes enacted by the Texas Legislature and rules and regulations promulgated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. An applicant is classified as either a resident of Texas or a non-resident for tuition purposes. An individual’s residency classification is based on information from his or her admission application. The applicant is responsible for registering under the proper residency classification"

It appears that Baylor favors TX residents too but bases TX residency on what's reported to AMCAS.

Does Baylor have a tradition of accepting a very large percentage of its class from TX (around 92% like the TMCAS schools)?

Members don't see this ad :)
From Baylor website: Admissions FAQs

Does Baylor College of Medicine give preference to Texas residents?
The class is composed of 85 percent Texas residents and 15 percent out-of-state residents. The Admissions Committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

Reactions: 1 user
From Baylor website:

Admissions Process

"The determination of residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by statutes enacted by the Texas Legislature and rules and regulations promulgated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. An applicant is classified as either a resident of Texas or a non-resident for tuition purposes. An individual’s residency classification is based on information from his or her admission application. The applicant is responsible for registering under the proper residency classification"

It appears that Baylor favors TX residents too but bases TX residency on what's reported to AMCAS.

Does Baylor have a tradition of accepting a very large percentage of its class from TX (around 92% like the TMCAS schools)?
Yes, because it also is supported by the state. That subsidy allows it to keep a low tuition like the other TX MD schools.
The new MD school in Ft. Worth will be private, will have no preference for state residence, and will have a tuition in the 57,000 range.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I was born in Texas and lived there until elementary school but then moved

I was born in Texas and lived there until elementary school but then moved
How long ago did you move away? If it was in elementary school, then you are no longer a Texas resident. If you have good stats and you like Texas, apply anyway!

Last edited:
I'll make a few more comments here about common situations - I wanted to keep the initial post clear and short.

1. You grew up in Texas but went to college out of state. Your parents still live in Texas. You are still considered in-state.
2. You also went to grad school out of state. You did some TA stuff or a paid internship or some scribing. As long as your primary reason for being there was education, and all these jobs were understood to be short-term, you are still considered in-state.
3. You are from out of state but have gone to college in Texas all 4 years. Sorry, you are not a Texan, because your primary reason for being in TX was to attend school.
4. You grew up in Texas, but went to college out of state and then after graduation you worked there full time and filed taxes there for 3 years, then decided it's time to apply to med school. Sorry, you are now a resident of that other state.
5. "But I want to be a Texan!" Move to Texas, work here for 12 or more consecutive months which must wrap up before October 1 of the year you want to apply, and by golly, you're a Texan. ( going to school for a year or having a work-study job does not count).

Well, why is this such a big deal? Texas strongly supports and subsidizes the state med schools for the benefit of Texas residents. Texas statutes require that 90% or more of each class be Texas residents. Texas med school tuition is between $17,677 and $20,521 a year. Yes, a bargain.

BUT, what if you apply and get in as an out-of-state student? The MOST you will pay for tuition at any Texas state-subsidized school is $33,621.
Our OOS tuition is LESS than the in-state tuition of all but 23 med schools in the US. Most med school in-state tuition is closer to $50,000.
Coming to a Texas medical school as an out of state student is still a great value.

TMDSAS is very responsive to questions, so ask them if you are unclear. Try to know what the situation is before you apply.
Regarding #4 - is this possible if your parents claimed you as a dependent in the previous tax year?

eg, my parents claimed me as a dependent this year, but next year they do not claim me. I pack up my bags and move to Texas, get a job, and meet all the domicile requirements by October 1st of next year. Would I not be considered a resident since my parents claimed me as a dependent in the previous tax year?

Regarding #4 - is this possible if your parents claimed you as a dependent in the previous tax year?

eg, my parents claimed me as a dependent this year, but next year they do not claim me. I pack up my bags and move to Texas, get a job, and meet all the domicile requirements by October 1st of next year. Would I not be considered a resident since my parents claimed me as a dependent in the previous tax year?
@kenykj49 There are quite a few questions within the TMDSAS application itself that are designed to determine whether you are a Texas resident.
TMDSAS will make a ruling on it. Once you see what they say about your status, if you have new information or would like to have them re-assess you, you are allowed to appeal their determination to TMDSAS directly.
The decision after an appeal is final.

@kenykj49 There are quite a few questions within the TMDSAS application itself that are designed to determine whether you are a Texas resident.
TMDSAS will make a ruling on it. Once you see what they say about your status, if you have new information or would like to have them re-assess you, you are allowed to appeal their determination to TMDSAS directly.
The decision after an appeal is final.
I apologize, I meant regarding #5!

I apologize, I meant regarding #5!
Yes, if you move to Texas to live and work, for a total of 12 months or more by October of the year you are going to apply, you will qualify as a resident. But you can't be moving here primarily to go to school, or it won't count. What state do your parents live in?

Yes, if you move to Texas to live and work, for a total of 12 months or more by October of the year you are going to apply, you will qualify as a resident. But you can't be moving here primarily to go to school, or it won't count. What state do your parents live in?
Thanks for your response. My parents live in New York and claimed me as a dependent on their federal taxes this year. I would be moving to Texas to live and work to establish domicile. Regardless, my concern is that I would not be classified as a resident since my parents claimed me as a dependent this year.

Thanks for your response. My parents live in New York and claimed me as a dependent on their federal taxes this year. I would be moving to Texas to live and work to establish domicile. Regardless, my concern is that I would not be classified as a resident since my parents claimed me as a dependent this year.
Here is the TMDSAS page discussing it in detail. Texas Residency Overview (note: Link updated 6/2022)

Ask your parents not to claim you as a dependent for the 2020 or 2021 Tax years and you should be golden. You would move to TX in 2020, right?
If they complain, tell them how much med school tuition you could be saving ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the TMDSAS page discussing it in detail. Texas Residency Overview

Ask your parents not to claim you as a dependent for the 2020 or 2021 Tax years and you should be golden. You would move to TX in 2020, right?
If they complain, tell them how much med school tuition you could be saving ;)
Great, it sounds like even though they claimed me for 2019, as long as they don't in 2020 and 2021 I should be able to establish residency for next cycle if I were to move within a month or two!

I have lived and worked independently in TX for the past 2 years (right now TMDSAS classifies me as a resident!). I recently found out about being accepted to do a year "fellowship" and teach abroad. If I were to delay my application until next year, would I still be a resident when I apply this time next year since I'm not becoming a resident of another state?
Probably, since your absence will be primarily for educational purposes

My daughter is currently attending university in Texas. Her intend is to make Texas as her home. She is planning to get residency by being domicile and buying a property. I am reading a lot on forums and internet about what one needs to do to get Texas residency. It’s very confusing. Does she need to have a gainful employment as well or just having a property where she will be staying is enough? Also if gainful employment is must have requirement, can she work for IT company as a full time employee and be attending full-time school at the same time where she needs to take 8 hour scheduled classes and can manage to work minimum 20 hours per week at the same time. I need someone to clarify #5 - But I want to be a Texan!" Move to Texas, work here for 12 or more consecutive months which must wrap up before October 1 of the year you want to apply, and by golly, you're a Texan. ( going to school for a year or having a work-study job does not count).

My daughter is currently attending university in Texas. Her intend is to make Texas as her home. She is planning to get residency by being domicile and buying a property. I am reading a lot on forums and internet about what one needs to do to get Texas residency. It’s very confusing. Does she need to have a gainful employment as well or just having a property where she will be staying is enough? Also if gainful employment is must have requirement, can she work for IT company as a full time employee and be attending full-time school at the same time where she needs to take 8 hour scheduled classes and can manage to work minimum 20 hours per week at the same time. I need someone to clarify #5 - But I want to be a Texan!" Move to Texas, work here for 12 or more consecutive months which must wrap up before October 1 of the year you want to apply, and by golly, you're a Texan. ( going to school for a year or having a work-study job does not count).
8 hours schedules classes PER WEEK.

8 hours schedules classes PER WEEK.
Jagdev she does not have to fulfill ALL of these things to establish TX residency. If she is primarily living here to attend college, that is not enough. The easiest way would be to stay in Texas and work for a year after she graduates, and also stop claiming her as a dependent on your taxes that year.
To be sure to get the most current information on establishing residency to satisfy requirements for Med schools, please write to TMDSAS and make sure.

Jagdev she does not have to fulfill ALL of these things to establish TX residency. If she is primarily living here to attend college, that is not enough. The easiest way would be to stay in Texas and work for a year after she graduates, and also stop claiming her as a dependent on your taxes that year.
To be sure to get the most current information on establishing residency to satisfy requirements for Med schools, please write to TMDSAS and make sure.
Thank you for responding. I will not be claiming her as dependent on my taxes. She is genuinely interested in making Texas as her home town. Most of our family is in Texas. That’s the main reason she decided to go to university in Texas. Working after graduation will waste her 1 year. Can she not work and attend university at the same time. Thanks again!

Thank you for responding. I will not be claiming her as dependent on my taxes. She is genuinely interested in making Texas as her home town. Most of our family is in Texas. That’s the main reason she decided to go to university in Texas. Working after graduation will waste her 1 year. Can she not work and attend university at the same time. Thanks again!
The best thing to do at this point would be to ask your daughter (not a parent) to contact TMDSAS to ask if her current situation and plan would result in her being adjudged a Texas Resident by October, 2021. She needs to be upfront about her student status and plans. The TMDSAS makes the official determination, so they will give her a more definitive answer than I can. Email [email protected] and use the subject line establishing Texas residency.

Last edited:
Maybe TX is different, but in most states "wasting" the year is required, because no, you can't work and attend university at the same time if you are expecting to use the time working to establish residency, since you cannot establish residency while you are a full time student..

Maybe TX is different, but in most states "wasting" the year is required, because no, you can't work and attend university at the same time if you are expecting to use the time working to establish residency, since you cannot establish residency while you are a full time student..
Yes TX is different and the residency rules for Med school are different than those for college. This is why I recommended this family contact the final authority on this.

Yes TX is different and the residency rules for Med school are different than those for college. This is why I recommended this family contact the final authority on this.
In general, in TX, do you know if it is possible to establish residency for med school while a full time UG, whether or not you are working? At the end of the day, that family is not unique (although TX certainly is :)), and the answer will come down to what controls - the rule about working full time for one year or the rule about establishing residency while a full time student. Most states do not go out of their way to make the answer to this question favorable to the student. Is TX an exception?

In general, in TX, do you know if it is possible to establish residency for med school while a full time UG, whether or not you are working? At the end of the day, that family is not unique (although TX certainly is :)), and the answer will come down to what controls - the rule about working full time for one year or the rule about establishing residency while a full time student. Most states do not go out of their way to make the answer to this question favorable to the student. Is TX an exception?
@KnightDoc I‘m done with this topic. If you are actually interested please go to the TMDSAS site.

@KnightDoc I‘m done with this topic. If you are actually interested please go to the TMDSAS site.
Thanks wysdoc. Unfortunately TMDSAS website does not clearly mention if you can be employed permanent full time with any employer while your are attending university and if that can be considered for domicile. . The audio on this topic at the beginning of this thread says “non-student employment - no temporary - no work-study job, no scribing, no internships are considered gainful employment. But if she is working 20 hours as a permanent employee and paying taxes (while she is attending university) why would it not be considered as a gainful employment? As suggested I will contact [email protected]. Thanks. For your guidance.

I have a question in regard to the last residency question, "by Oct 1 of this year will you have lived in Texas continually for 12 months?" I completed grad school outside of the state from August of 2020 to May of 2021 but moved back after schoo last month. Should I answer "yes" to this question because I was only gone for 1 year of grad school or no. I was born in texas, and I went to undergrad in Texas. Just left for 9 months for grad school.

I have a question in regard to the last residency question, "by Oct 1 of this year will you have lived in Texas continually for 12 months?" I completed grad school outside of the state from August of 2020 to May of 2021 but moved back after schoo last month. Should I answer "yes" to this question because I was only gone for 1 year of grad school or no. I was born in texas, and I went to undergrad in Texas. Just left for 9 months for grad school.
Your answer would be no, but if you left primarily for school and you were a TX resident before it won’t lose you the status. TMDSAS makes the official ruling.

Hi!

I grew up in Texas and my parents still live there. I went to college outside of Texas and am now working outside of Texas; however, I still have legal residence in Texas (my DL is still Texas and I still file my taxes in Texas). TMDSAS has reached out regarding this "discrepancy", but I am not sure what to tell them. Any advice?

Hi!

I grew up in Texas and my parents still live there. I went to college outside of Texas and am now working outside of Texas; however, I still have legal residence in Texas (my DL is still Texas and I still file my taxes in Texas). TMDSAS has reached out regarding this "discrepancy", but I am not sure what to tell them. Any advice?
You tell them the truth, like a true blue Texan!
They will make a determination based on how long you have been out of state and the reasons you are out of state now.
Going out of state for college did not lose you your TX resident status.
Staying out of state to work MIGHT, depending on how long, whether your job was some kind of academic fellowship or research, and whether it was clear this job was temporary and you intended to return to Texas. After you supply them with the information they ask for, TMDSAS will make a final ruling on your residency status.
Even if they determine that you now classify as OOS, Texas OOS tuition is still lower than almost any other US medical school.

Last edited:
There is a newer podcast on YouTube from THES describing the rules and giving even more examples of situations and how they would be ruled.
It's worth a watch/listen!

Hello, I have been living and working in Texas for 12+ months and was considered in state by TMDSAS. However, I do not yet have a TEXAS ID yet (COVID, and getting off work to do it has been difficult since I just became eligible a few months ago), and have gotten an interview in a week. Will this be a problem with the school?

Hello, I have been living and working in Texas for 12+ months and was considered in state by TMDSAS. However, I do not yet have a TEXAS ID yet (COVID, and getting off work to do it has been difficult since I just became eligible a few months ago), and have gotten an interview in a week. Will this be a problem with the school?
No, your ruling from TMDSAS that you are categorized as in-state is all you need.
Good luck on your interview-

Just to add, TMDSAS makes the residency determination prior to applications being forwarded to each school. Thus you are officially in the IS or OOS pile of applicants before you are considered for admissions
If this is the case, then why did @wysdoc include that there is the October 1st mark to meet the 12 month resident requirement?

If I’m moving next week (July 14th) to Dallas, am I better off waiting to submit my TMDAS until July 15th? Or would submitting it in early June, lead to me being placed in the non- resident pool by admission?

If this is the case, then why did @wysdoc include that there is the October 1st mark to meet the 12 month resident requirement?

If I’m moving next week (July 14th) to Dallas, am I better off waiting to submit my TMDAS until July 15th? Or would submitting it in early June, lead to me being placed in the non- resident pool by admission?
@Jack-Kennedy35 as I understand it you are moving to Texas on July 14, 2022.
Are you going to apply to med school this summer?(2022-2023 cycle) or not until next summer?

Applying this summer: you will still be classed as a California applicant.
Applying summer of 2023: You will be a TX resident, because as of the November 1, 2023 date (it used to be Oct 1 but TMDSAS has shifted its deadline a month later) you will have been in Texas for 17months.
TMDSAS adjudges it: "As of Nov 1, has this person been living in Texas for 12 or more months?"

It's really up to you when to apply. You have been a California resident all your life, are you sure you are going to stay in Texas?
If you are a strong applicant apply now as a Californian. TX schools still might be interested.

@Jack-Kennedy35 as I understand it you are moving to Texas on July 14, 2022.
Are you going to apply to med school this summer?(2022-2023 cycle) or not until next summer?

Applying this summer: you will still be classed as a California applicant.
Applying summer of 2023: You will be a TX resident, because as of the November 1, 2023 date (it used to be Oct 1 but TMDSAS has shifted its deadline a month later) you will have been in Texas for 17months.
TMDSAS adjudges it: "As of Nov 1, has this person been living in Texas for 12 or more months?"

It's really up to you when to apply. You have been a California resident all your life, are you sure you are going to stay in Texas?
If you are a strong applicant apply now as a Californian. TX schools still might be interested.
Hi @wysdoc,

Thank you so much for your response. So, yes, I will be applying next year- summer of 2023.

It is true that I have been a California resident all my life, but the reason I am considering the move is that my significant other is from Texas. She has found a job in Dallas, and so I am considering moving in with her and purchasing an apartment.

Do you think this will not be a good look to the Texas admissions committees because I moved in 17 months prior to Nov 2023?
- If this is the case, then I think I’m better of staying in CA until I apply next year, because I don’t want to loose my CA residency for nothing. Albeit, I think even I were to become a TX resident next year, I would still hold very strong ties to all CA schools?

What do you think?

Hi @wysdoc,

Thank you so much for your response. So, yes, I will be applying next year- summer of 2023.

It is true that I have been a California resident all my life, but the reason I am considering the move is that my significant other is from Texas. She has found a job in Dallas, and so I am considering moving in with her and purchasing an apartment.

Do you think this will not be a good look to the Texas admissions committees because I moved in 17 months prior to Nov 2023?
- If this is the case, then I think I’m better of staying in CA until I apply next year, because I don’t want to loose my CA residency. Albeit, I think even I were to become a TX resident next year, I would still hold very strong ties to all CA schools?

What do you think? I will definitely not apply this summer.
This is a solid plan only if you want to attend medical school in TX, even if they are skeptical due to your recent arrival. You can always explain that in secondaries.

OTOH, if you think you might want to attend school in CA, or anywhere other than TX for that matter, you'll be FAR better off applying as a CA resident. TX residents have a very difficult time as OOS applicants, due the very attractive cost of TX schools to IS applicants. CA applicants applying around the country as OOS do not have to deal with that level of discrimination, except, ironically, in places like TX that have statutory limits on how many applicants they can enroll from OOS or out of the area.

Last edited:
Hi @wysdoc,

- If this is the case, then I think I’m better of staying in CA until I apply next year, because I don’t want to loose my CA residency. Albeit, I think even I were to become a TX resident next year, I would still hold very strong ties to all CA schools?

What do you think? I will definitely not apply this summer.
It doesn't matter when you move, if you meet the rules a lifelong Texan is the same as a new Texan.
If you prefer to go to a California school, even though you are much more likely to get in as a CA resident, the majority of California residents end up attending OOS because there are just so many applicants.

This is a solid plan only if you want to attend medical school in TX, even if they are skeptical due to your recent arrival. You can always explain that in secondaries.

OTOH, if you think you might want to attend school in CA, or anywhere other than TX for that matter, you'll be FAR better off applying as a CA resident. TX residents have a very difficult time as OOS applicants, due the very attractive cost of TX schools to IS applicants. CA applicants applying around the country as OOS do not have to deal with that level of discrimination, except, ironically, in places like TX that have statutory limits on how many applicants they can enroll from OOS or out of the area.
Oh man this is actually a very difficult proposition. If you would have told me that I would have just lost my California preference, albeit while still having strong ties, after becoming a TX resident, then that’s soemthing I’d have been okay with.

The difficult thing to take into account is that becoming a TX resident, even though I grew up in CA and studied at UCLA, will put me at a disadvantage applying OOS (even besides CA). It’s basically as if I’m putting all my eggs into one basket (TX) which is still quite a competitive state.

I’m a relatively medium stat applicant (3.83 gpa/ 3.77 BCPM & 515), but I’d want to cast a wide net and give myself the best chance. Am I better off just staying in CA you think? @wysdoc

Oh man this is actually a very difficult proposition. If you would have told me that I would have just lost my California preference, albeit while still having strong ties, after becoming a TX resident, then that’s soemthing I’d have been okay with.

The difficult thing to take into account is that becoming a TX resident, even though I grew up in CA and studied at UCLA, will put me at a disadvantage applying OOS (even besides CA). It’s basically as if I’m putting all my eggs into one basket (TX) which is still quite a competitive state.

I’m a relatively medium stat applicant (3.83 gpa/ 3.77 BCPM & 515), but I’d want to cast a wide net and give myself the best chance. Am I better off just staying in CA you think? @wysdoc
EXACTLY!!!!!! Here are the most recently reported numbers: TX had 5,884 applicants, 1,607 of whom matriculated IS and a whopping 323 of whom matriculated OOS. 3,954 matriculated nowhere. Anecdotal evidence suggests the vast majority of the 323 were rock stars who received significant financial incentives to leave TX to attend top OOS schools like Harvard, NYU, Hopkins, etc. As you can see, you are very highly unlikely to be successful as an OOS applicant coming from TX (~5% matriculated, probably slightly more were accepted but chose to stay in TX).

Becoming a TX resident will significantly increase your chances to attend school in TX, since 90%+ of all students at TX public schools are IS, by law. Baylor is not subject to that law, but also has the vast majority of the students come from TX. While you will always have a shot at CA schools because of your deep ties, you will still be competing with the other ~6,000 TX applicants to be one of the successful 323, so the odds are ~95% that you will either be attending school in TX or not at all if you apply as a TX resident.

That's the very definition of all eggs in one basket. With your stats, you'll have an excellent shot at TX schools, and virtually no shot anywhere else, including CA, in spite of your ties, because even they will assume you moved to TX to take advantage of the schools and IS tuition there, no matter what you say in your application.

@Jack-Kennedy35 I sent you a message

Regarding residency determination: For the 2023 application cycle, when TMDSAS asks if you are a dependent for tax purposes, are they referring to 2022 taxes or 2023 taxes?

Regarding residency determination: For the 2023 application cycle, when TMDSAS asks if you are a dependent for tax purposes, are they referring to 2022 taxes or 2023 taxes?
Asking if you are dependent is just one of the questions leading to a judgement on whether or not you are a Texas resident.
It would come into play as a factor if:
Your parents live out of state, but
you have been living and working in Texas for a year, while not a student, to establish your independent Texas residency.
If you are in this situation, ask your parents not to claim you on their 2022 or 2023 taxes.

Answer all the questions clearly & honestly on the TMDSAS app in May. :)

Make sure you have your TX driver's license, registered to vote in TX, have taxes filed, etc. It was a huge headache to prove my residency (moved in 2021) and I wasn't sure I would get it. It worked out though thankfully

Do you happen to know how the question is usually worded? The residency determination is the same whether I'm dependent or independent. I just want to be sure to answer the question honestly because the dependency answer will be different if they are referring to 2022 versus 2023 (taxes are already filed for 2022).

Do you happen to know how the question is usually worded? The residency determination is the same whether I'm dependent or independent. I just want to be sure to answer the question honestly because the dependency answer will be different if they are referring to 2022 versus 2023 (taxes are already filed for 2022).
I don’t. If you have specific questions when you are filling out the application- even before you submit it, message them within the app!

Make sure you have your TX driver's license, registered to vote in TX, have taxes filed, etc. It was a huge headache to prove my residency (moved in 2021) and I wasn't sure I would get it. It worked out though thankfully
What documents did you use to prove Texas residency? Did you have your Texas license when you applied? I’ve lived here for over a year and working on my getting my TX license but my appointment with DPS is a month away and I want to submit before then

What documents did you use to prove Texas residency? Did you have your Texas license when you applied? I’ve lived here for over a year and working on my getting my TX license but my appointment with DPS is a month away and I want to submit before then
Your duration of living in Texas is more important. Just answer all the questions on the TMDSAS portal and see what they say

I'm in kind of a strange scenario and wondering if you have any advice. My parents are moving to Texas after having lived in another State for the rest of my life. By next cycle I think I will meet the one year requirement in terms of being a dependent who's parents will have lived in Texas for 12 Months by November 1st, 2024. Is there any chance that with this being true I won't be considered a Texas resident?

I'm in kind of a strange scenario and wondering if you have any advice. My parents are moving to Texas after having lived in another State for the rest of my life. By next cycle I think I will meet the one year requirement in terms of being a dependent who's parents will have lived in Texas for 12 Months by November 1st, 2024. Is there any chance that with this being true I won't be considered a Texas resident?
If your parents have lived there for 12 months by Nov 1, 2024 and you are still a dependent, you will qualify as a Texas resident.
If you are going to college in another state, and plan to come back to your parent's home between school years, you will still qualify.
If you have graduated and are living and working in anther state for more than a year, that could maybe cause you to lose Texas resident status.

If your parents have lived there for 12 months by Nov 1, 2024 and you are still a dependent, you will qualify as a Texas resident.
If you are going to college in another state, and plan to come back to your parent's home between school years, you will still qualify.
If you have graduated and are living and working in anther state for more than a year, that could maybe cause you to lose Texas resident status.
Sounds Great! Thank you for all your help!