Texas PT Schools Application 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks but I interviewed with UTMB late September time frame. I think I was the first round. But I was just seeing whether or not they were sending out the rejections or wait list numbers yet from the interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I bet my GRE scores were probably worse than yours and I got an interview. What were your scores?
Oh that's the impression they gave on my rejection letter. Haha I highly doubt you did worse.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of TWU Houston--does anyone go there now/know someone who does? I went to the Open House back in September and really liked what I saw, but I'm not very familiar with Houston in general. I'd like to learn more about what the school and the city are like, since it's a pretty big change moving down from Pennsylvania, haha.

I work down the street from TWU. Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know about Houston?

I work down the street from TWU. Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know about Houston?
I guess you can probably limit the area I'm asking about to maybe a fifteen minute drive from TWU? General stuff like what housing and safety are like, if it's a bike-friendly area (I figure Houston as a whole probably isn't, considering the sheer amount of highways you guys have), stuff like that.

Not too bike friendly but people do do it. 1 bedrooms are about 1,000/mo. I feel safe but you still don't want to walk around at night alone. That's just common sense. If you look on a map twu is off of holcombe. Go west from there and it's a pretty decent area--go east and the closer you get towards 288 it turns ghetto. Do not look at apartments over there.
Positives-Hermann Park proximity (has 2 mi trail for jogging), Houston Zoo very close, Miller Outdoor Theater has free entertainment, largest medical center in the world
Negatives--mosquitos, summer high temps, fire ants, parking costs about 150-200/mo for a contract (I don't know about TWUs garage specifically)

If you have any specific questions about apartments you are considering you can private message me and I'll tell you if it's decent.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have an idea as to how many UNT spots have been filled? I want to visit the campus with a realistic mindset :)

Have people actually heard back from the first interview? I'm starting to think they are having issues with their accreditation. Someone mentioned several people from the last class had failed their boards.

Have people actually heard back from the first interview? I'm starting to think they are having issues with their accreditation. Someone mentioned several people from the last class had failed their boards.

I am not sure... I just assumed that they'd have possibly let people know from the first rounds of interviews... But that would make sense if they are struggling with their accreditation

My friend called them about the Feb interview session and he said they told him they would not be extending positions for the class or February interviews until the middle of January. Now of course this is third person information and I can't vouch for accuracy or context.

My friend called them about the Feb interview session and he said they told him they would not be extending positions for the class or February interviews until the middle of January. Now of course this is third person information and I can't vouch for accuracy or context.

Thanks! I appreciate the info! I'm sure they probably don't want to hand out positions in case they get a flood of high stat applicants right at the due date. So that timing makes sense.

Good luck! I hope you get in this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I hope you get in this year.

Thank you... Me too! Trying to keep positive thoughts! Congrats on your acceptance to TWU Houston! That's a top notch program.

I just wanted to let everyone know that UNT called people today about acceptance. Several of my friends received calls saying that they were accepted. I got in as well! I also got into TWU Dallas. Now I'm trying to decide which school to pick. Any advice as to which one to pick?!

Reactions: 1 users
I got into UNT as well yesterday, but TWU is still my choice. Both programs have excellent facilities and staff, but when it came down to it, I like the fact that TWU has been around a lot longer that UNT. I also would prefer to do my clinicals in the Dallas area. At the interview it sounded like a lot of their clinicals were in Tarrant county, which doesn't really appeal to me. I'm sure they have some clinicals in Dallas, but more than likely TWU is going to have more options. Location was also important for me as well, and Dallas is where my fiancee and I wanted to be, so that does make me a little biased. Just my opinion :) Congratulations on getting in to both!

Are you going to the Applicant Session at TWU on the 24th?

I got a call from UNT yesterday too. I will be accepting it since it is my number one. :) Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I'd be happy to help.

I also got accepted to UNT yesterday and will be accepting! Congrats to everyone :)

Reactions: 1 users
I got into UNT as well yesterday, but TWU is still my choice. Both programs have excellent facilities and staff, but when it came down to it, I like the fact that TWU has been around a lot longer that UNT. I also would prefer to do my clinicals in the Dallas area. At the interview it sounded like a lot of their clinicals were in Tarrant county, which doesn't really appeal to me. I'm sure they have some clinicals in Dallas, but more than likely TWU is going to have more options. Location was also important for me as well, and Dallas is where my fiancee and I wanted to be, so that does make me a little biased. Just my opinion :) Congratulations on getting in to both!

Are you going to the Applicant Session at TWU on the 24th?

Yeah, I feel like TWU is my first choice too. But it's just a huge decision. And yes, I'll be at the applicant session! Thanks for all of your input!!

Congrats to the people that got accepted for Class of 2017! I also got good news from UNT!

Got accepted to UNT yesterday at 4:45! Very surprised that I got a call that day, I was planning on waiting until Friday. Can't wait to start school next summer! In choosing between Texas Tech and UNT, what do you all think?

Does anyone know if UNTHSC is still sending interview invites? I applied early and haven't heard back. Expecting a denial letter.

I found the answer to my question. In case anyone else is wondering when UNT is done interviewing, this is what their website says:

"May 1 - Application opens
October 1 - Priority deadline
Mid November - Early interviews begin
January 15 - Application closes
January 1 – March 1 – Admission Interviews continue"

Hello everyone i'm new. I am frantically waiting to hear back from #1 choice UNT. How did your status change on the website once you got your interview? And how were your interviews? I wonder how my stats will be compared to those already accepted (congrats by the way) I hope I stand up. UNT is my #1 and only choice because this is where my family is. I am a nontraditional student - grad in '06 w/BA in History (3.6gpa), I am a teacher and went back to school finish my prereq courses to pursue pt (sci 3.4gpa), 45 outpatient hrs/30 rehab hospital hrs/15 in-home hrs.

Hello everyone i'm new. I am frantically waiting to hear back from #1 choice UNT. How did your status change on the website once you got your interview? And how were your interviews? I wonder how my stats will be compared to those already accepted (congrats by the way) I hope I stand up. UNT is my #1 and only choice because this is where my family is. I am a nontraditional student - grad in '06 w/BA in History (3.6gpa), I am a teacher and went back to school finish my prereq courses to pursue pt (sci 3.4gpa), 45 outpatient hrs/30 rehab hospital hrs/15 in-home hrs.
I have the same questions. MOnet, did u apply and are currently waiting for a denial or interview letter?

I have the same questions. MOnet, did u apply and are currently waiting for a denial or interview letter?
I am waiting for an interview letter but I haven't heard anything yet since I applied in October. I had issues with a missing transcript finally being delivered after the first interview dates (my school sent it 3x). I worked in the admissions office in undergrad and I know how hectic it is and I don't want to overwhelm anyone by calling and asking questions but this waiting is killing me... Where are you in the wait game?

I am waiting for an interview letter but I haven't heard anything yet since I applied in October. I had issues with a missing transcript finally being delivered after the first interview dates (my school sent it 3x). I worked in the admissions office in undergrad and I know how hectic it is and I don't want to overwhelm anyone by calling and asking questions but this waiting is killing me... Where are you in the wait game?
I too am waiting for an interview letter and I applied in September and had trouble with them getting a transcript I sent lol and I have a BBA in Marketing. Maybe we'll interview together. They are the last school I'm waiting to hear from.

Well we must speak it into existence. So we will get those interview calls together and eventually acceptance calls!!! What other schools have you applied too?

;-) I hope so!! UTHSCSA, TTUHSC, and UTMB. I interviewed at UTHSCSA and TTUHSC. I got a no from UTMB and TTUHSC. And wait listed at UTHSCSA.

;-) I hope so!! UTHSCSA, TTUHSC, and UTMB. I interviewed at UTHSCSA and TTUHSC. I got a no from UTMB and TTUHSC. And wait listed at UTHSCSA.

UNT is my first choice as well & the only school I have yet to hear from.. I have called (getting impatient haha) & heard that they will be sending out interview invites jan or feb & all denial letters once interviews are over... Best of luck everyone!

For those who were invited to the UTMB January interview... What day is the interview being held on?

Anyone know what this means on the "Applications, Admissions, and New Enrollment" chart? Basically, I want to know the difference between "Admissions" and "New Enrollment".

This is UTHSCSA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Anyone know what this means on the "Applications, Admissions, and New Enrollment" chart? Basically, I want to know the difference between "Admissions" and "New Enrollment".

This is UTHSCSA
I am going from my experience in dealing with enrollment data... You have (X) amount of ppl who applied, then (Y) amount of ppl who were admitted, finally (Z) amount of ppl who enrolled. Then they may continue to break those numbers down even more by race, gender, region/state, gpa, gre...etc until you are able to get clear idea of how you may statistically compare to their "ideal student". I hope that helped ;-)

I am going from my experience in dealing with enrollment data... You have (X) amount of ppl who applied, then (Y) amount of ppl who were admitted, finally (Z) amount of ppl who enrolled. Then they may continue to break those numbers down even more by race, gender, region/state, gpa, gre...etc until you are able to get clear idea of how you may statistically compare to their "ideal student". I hope that helped ;-)

That's what I thinking. Thanks for helping me understand. So then I'm getting that they really went down that alternate list on that last year. Hopefully they do that again.

Hey, this might be a really stupid question, but I know UNT is a new accredited PT school, and I'm looking over their information, but do they not consider the GRE for applicant?

Hey, this might be a really stupid question, but I know UNT is a new accredited PT school, and I'm looking over their information, but do they not consider the GRE for applicant?
Correct. They don't believe in screening people who could be great PTs out just because of a general test.

You guys I just found out I got accepted into UTMB!!! I'm so happy I'm crying.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who got accepted into UNT, what were your stats? Please :) I'm like last minute clutching the application because prior to trying to fill the app for the Jan 15th deadline, I decided I'd wait a year until I apply for the next cycle. But, then since I thought about it, applying wouldn't hurt right? SO, that's why I'm trying to apply for UNTHSC application, plus their deadline is pretty late. So, I'm giving it a try and going on a limb.

again, thanks guys!

Speaking of TWU Houston--does anyone go there now/know someone who does? I went to the Open House back in September and really liked what I saw, but I'm not very familiar with Houston in general. I'd like to learn more about what the school and the city are like, since it's a pretty big change moving down from Pennsylvania, haha.

Hi, I'm from Houston. I know several people who have graduated from TWU's DPT program and a few that currently attend. A friend of mind also teaches the advanced gait class there. Houston has changed a lot in recent years, it's becoming more like Austin with outdoor beer spots and niche restaurants. However, it is a concrete city and does not have all the hike, bike, lake, greenbelt like Austin. Summers are VERY hot and VERY humid which can be difficult for a lot of newbies, but you will get used to it. As for places to live, Montrose is a great location with lots of charm. Also, known to locals as the gayborhood, there are so many cute antique shops and museums near by. There are tons of garage apts or 4plexes with vintage flair for rent and can usually be found listed on Craig's List or HAR. I used to live off Marshall St $800/month all bills paid and was within walking distance to the Metro Rail. (I also lived down W. Alabama within walking distance to The Menil (Art Museum) in a beautiful 1930's 4 plex, also 800 sq ft for $825/month plus bills. Just to give you an idea about rent. Things have changed a lot since I last lived there in 2012, so expect rent to be higher.) I took this several times to TWU to meet with my advisor. This is a nice, cheap alternative if you don't want to pay the $80/month TWU charges for contract parking. However, if you are at school late at night, I'd caution taking the rail home, it's frequented by some downtown characters who often "hitch" rides. TWU facilities are VERY nice complete with a small gym and even a counselor's office on site to help you with any problems that may arise while you are in the program and feeling stressed.

Hope that helps. I was accepted to the Houston campus, but even after all my research, I still do not know much about the program except that it's reputable and the best in Texas. Because they do not interview, there is not that opportunity to meet faculty/staff/students like at other schools. My friends who have gone there, mention that there can be some awkward folks in your class since they look at numbers alone and not actually if you are good with people face to face. Very interesting for a profession that is based on people skills.

Anyone who got accepted into UNT, what were your stats? Please :) I'm like last minute clutching the application because prior to trying to fill the app for the Jan 15th deadline, I decided I'd wait a year until I apply for the next cycle. But, then since I thought about it, applying wouldn't hurt right? SO, that's why I'm trying to apply for UNTHSC application, plus their deadline is pretty late. So, I'm giving it a try and going on a limb.

again, thanks guys!

although the application is due jan 15 i wouldn't even bother applying this cycle. on the site it says to apply early because every school gets a lot of applications.

TWU is a great school (I may be biased because I go there). I live about a mile from school and walk sometimes weather permitting. You can also take the Metro rail or bus depending on how far you live from school. Like someone mentioned, parking is $80/month but if you'd like to drive once in a while there is a $6/day parking lot across the street. When you get your acceptance packet, they will tell you all you need to know. If you need help finding a roommate, they will help you too. There is also a big brother/sister thing and eventually class facebook group where all your questions will be answered.

again, thanks guys!

Hi rl91. I don't know anything about UNT, but I just wanted to support you in that I think you should definitely still apply even though it is near the deadline. This may be because I also clutched almost all of my applications, but MOSTLY because applying will still help you even if you don't get in (but hopefully you do!). That way when you re-apply next year, you can show improvement aka this is something you really want. It will be one of the things that helps set you apart from others, and honestly everyone needs all the brownie points they can get bc there are just a super ridiculous amount of applicants now!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, Hulksmash2010 have you heard anything yet?

TWU is a great school (I may be biased because I go there). I live about a mile from school and walk sometimes weather permitting. You can also take the Metro rail or bus depending on how far you live from school. Like someone mentioned, parking is $80/month but if you'd like to drive once in a while there is a $6/day parking lot across the street. When you get your acceptance packet, they will tell you all you need to know. If you need help finding a roommate, they will help you too. There is also a big brother/sister thing and eventually class facebook group where all your questions will be answered.
$80 a month for parking? Wow, we pay $70 for the entire year at the Dallas campus!

Nope :nailbiting:...
But I will let you know when I do.

Great I'll let you know as well. We might find out about our interviews the same day lol I'm watching my emails like a hawk on my cell phone. Have you applied to other schools?

Great I'll let you know as well. We might find out about our interviews the same day lol I'm watching my emails like a hawk on my cell phone. Have you applied to other schools?
Good to know I'm not the only one frantically checking my emails but I also check the mail too lol; I feel like a crazy person especially because I quit my job to focus only on pursuing PT. But yes I applied to only one other school in OK but I am really really praying for UNT because my family is here. And the program is a really good well-rounded program, I've heard only good things and that's rare in a new program.
:xf:

Last edited: