Texas PT Schools Application 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry I'm out of the loop and totally got rejected by TWU but what happened? What there an overflow of acceptances or something?
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that I just spoke with Mary Beth about the alternate list for TWU Houston. She says it's still not ranked yet, but they are very close to breaking into it (I believe she said only one more person needs to drop). So we might be hearing something soon.... Hang in there, y'all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I'm out of the loop and totally got rejected by TWU but what happened? What there an overflow of acceptances or something?

Think so...Dallas campus has 40+ alternates and is still 9 people overbooked heading into April. I think they handed out more acceptances this year.

Yeah, when I attended the Houston open house they told us that they had sent out 70 acceptance letters.... Not sure if they do that every year or not, but we've had to wait for twenty people to decline before they even rank the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to their website, their matriculation rate (# of students starting program at either Dallas or Houston campus based upon the # of acceptance letters mailed) from last year was 56%. Previous years were pretty similar as well. So if this year looks the same, out of the original 70 students accepted from the Houston campus, about 40 student should accept. This is pretty simplified but there is still a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a call from UNT today telling me I got accepted. Also OU contacted me like 3 weeks ago telling me i was accepted to but declined. Still haven't heard anything from TWU since I am on the waiting list for Dallas. Not sure where they are in the waiting list. Just updating!

Reactions: 2 users
I was also got a call and was accepted into UNT!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted into UNTHSC! Currently wait listed at UTHSCSA and denied at UTMB and TTUHSC. If you're not in YET then just hang in there you can do it if you work hard enough.

Reactions: 3 users
I got into UNT as well but I am going to decline. I have already decided to attend TTUHSC, so hopefully this will clear up a spot for someone! Good luck to everyone! I know this is a very stressful process, but like hulksmash said, just hang in there. Keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 users
I got into UNT as well but I am going to decline. I have already decided to attend TTUHSC, so hopefully this will clear up a spot for someone! Good luck to everyone! I know this is a very stressful process, but like hulksmash said, just hang in there. Keep the faith!

Welcome to TTUHSC....if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. Great decision, I'm only a little bias.:claps:

Like RPC2011 said, welcome to the TTUHSC DPT family! Let me know if I can help you out with any questions you have about school, living situation, etc!

Congrats to everyone who got into UNT!
Has anyone heard anything from TWU Houston since they sent out that alternate email? Anyone heard if they've broken into the alternate list yet? :nailbiting:

I was accepted at UTHSCSA! I just declined my spot at UNTHSC. I'm happy for the person who takes my spot there. UNT has a very nice program with a gracious faculty and staff. They also have awesome technology.
But I'm excited to start at UTHSCSA!

Hello all,
I am currently wait listed (since November) at TTUHSC, and I was just curious to how likely it would be for me to get in. Of course I do not know my position on the alternate list, just curious if they usually notify close to the start of the program?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I am currently wait listed (since November) at TTUHSC, and I was just curious to how likely it would be for me to get in. Of course I do not know my position on the alternate list, just curious if they usually notify close to the start of the program?
Thanks!!

I'm starting TTUHSC this may. When I interviewed in Nov in amarillo some of the students said a spot opened up for them with only a few(3) days before starting. There are still a lot of deadlines ppl need to meet before we are all cleared to start: pending pre req ppl are still taking, graduating with a bachelors, immunizations, criminal background check, financial aid, etc.

i know it looks slim with only a month left but you never know.

Got accepted into UNTHSC! Currently wait listed at UTHSCSA and denied at UTMB and TTUHSC. If you're not in YET then just hang in there you can do it if you work hard enough.
Hey man! I'm looking at UNTHSC as my first choice and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats. Just trying to know as much as I can about the program. Thanks in advance!

Hey man! I'm looking at UNTHSC as my first choice and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats. Just trying to know as much as I can about the program. Thanks in advance!
I have an undergrad in marketing and my GPA was 3.3. I did my pre reqs and got all As except B's in my Gen Chem lectures . As in the labs so I'm sure that brought up my GPA . I think my pre req GPA was a 3.9
170 shadowing hours at 4 settings at in and out patient
Personal trainer for 3 years
They don't want your GRE.
Good personal statement and letters from a professor and one from a pet
Pour your heart out on your personal statement. They want to see passion and personality I assume

Last edited:
I have an undergrad in marketing and my GPA was 3.3. I did my pre reqs and got all As except B's in my Gen Chem lectures . As in the labs so I'm sure that brought up my GPA . I think my pre req GPA was a 2.9
170 shadowing hours at 4 settings at in and out patient
Personal trainer for 3 years
They don't want your GRE.
Good personal statement and letters from a professor and one from a pet
Pour your heart out on your personal statement. They want to see passion and personality I assume
Thanks for the details man! Really appreciate it. How early did you apply to UNT btw? I think I'm going to hold off until December to submit it bc I want to bring up my last 60hrs GPA and I think the Fall semester could really help. I'm estimating somewhere around a 3.5-3.6. In your opinion, do you think this will hurt my chances? The last deadline is in early to mid January.

Reactions: 1 user
I was an early applicant. I would suggest that you also become an early applicant because it shows that their school is your priority and you are putting the extra effort to get in. Also, they have rolling admissions so if you aren't selected for an early interview your application will be considered again during the regular cycle. I was an early applicant but interviewed on the last interview date with the "regular" applicants.

When you make your application on their website you can update your grades as they come in. I think. I could be wrong. But things change yearly. Make sure tomorrow you call the DPT admissions office and ask if you can update your grades as you get them in. The same thing you asked me.

With that GPA you have a chance . I know someone who had a similar GPA and got accepted but remember they look at many things. So really do your best on the Personal Statement and get some good references. They want people with a personality and will contribute to the PT community even after school. You have to show passion.

Also, I meant to say my pre req GPA was a 3.9 not 2.9.

Last edited:
I was an early applicant. I would suggest that you also become an early applicant because it shows that their school is your priority and you are putting the extra effort to get in. Also, they have rolling admissions so if you aren't selected for an early interview your application will be considered again during the regular cycle. I was an early applicant but interviewed on the last interview date with the "regular" applicants.

When you make your application on their website you can update your grades as they come in. I think. I could be wrong. But things change yearly. Make sure tomorrow you call the DPT admissions office and ask if you can update your grades as you get them in. The same thing you asked me.

With that GPA you have a chance . I know someone who had a similar GPA and got accepted but remember they look at many things. So really do your best on the Personal Statement and get some good references. They want people with a personality and will contribute to the PT community even after school. You have to show passion.

Also, I meant to say my pre req GPA was a 3.9 not 2.9.
Gotcha! I'm writing down a list of questions to ask them tomorrow haha If do you let you update grades and stuff then I'll go ahead and apply early. I'm gonna get some professors to go over my personal statements so I make sure I get plenty of feedback. Did you commit to UNT or did you decide on another school?

Gotcha! I'm writing down a list of questions to ask them tomorrow haha If do you let you update grades and stuff then I'll go ahead and apply early. I'm gonna get some professors to go over my personal statements so I make sure I get plenty of feedback. Did you commit to UNT or did you decide on another school?

Good stuff! I always had a list of questions when I called lol I did accept their invitation but then I was invited to UTHSCSA and decided to attend UTHSCSA. UNTHSCSA is a really great school though. I went to a kind of pre orientation type event and everyone is so nice. Students have a lot of input on the schedule and the faculty and staff are very supportive with their open door policy. You're going to love it. Go to their Open House (and use it on your personal statement if you can).

Good stuff! I always had a list of questions when I called lol I did accept their invitation but then I was invited to UTHSCSA and decided to attend UTHSCSA. UNTHSCSA is a really great school though. I went to a kind of pre orientation type event and everyone is so nice. Students have a lot of input on the schedule and the faculty and staff are very supportive with their open door policy. You're going to love it. Go to their Open House (and use it on your personal statement if you can).
Hey man! Just wanted to update you on UNTHSC. I went to their info session and got a lot of useful information. I asked about updating grades in December and they said that I can definitely do that, since they don't start to send out rejection letters until January. So I'm going to apply early and if I don't get offered an interview then hopefully an updated transcript will help haha. I also loved Fort Worth and the area that the HSC is in. Definitely a top choice. And congrats on UTHSCSA! I have a friend who is a first year there!

Nice! Good job! All the small things help. I'm glad you like it. I know a few first years too haha I wonder if we know the same person. Make those As! Keep me up to date. :)

Hello all,
Thanks!!

I'm a student at TTUHSC right now, as far as notification goes, it honestly just depends. Obviously they would like to notify you as soon as a spot becomes available, but they sometimes have to wait on students who have been accepted but haven't confirmed/declined their spot or students that are finishing out pre-reqs, etc. You might call and ask if you are high up on the wait list or further down on the list, they cant tell you specifically but they may be able to give you a general idea. Best of luck!

Hello all,
Thanks!!

I was told by a student there some get accepted in little over a week prior to class starting.

If you were accepted to the TWU DPT program, would you please post what your GRE scores and GPA stays were? Thanks!

TWU Houston
Pre req: 4.0
Overall: 3.95
Verbal GRE: 159
Quantitative GRE: 154
Writing: 4.0

I didn't get in during the Early Decision because I was 0.5 off for the writing portion of GRE and got in during Regular decision. Good luck :)

If you were accepted to the TWU DPT program, would you please post what your GRE scores and GPA stays were? Thanks!

TWU Houston
At the time of admissions these were my stats:
Pre req: 4.0
Overall: 3.96
GRE: 149 V, 155 Q, 3.5 AW

I also didn't get in through early decision because of my GRE scores. Good luck as well!

TWU Houston
Overall GPA:3.94
Pre-Req GPA:3.9
Math & Science GPA: 3.91
GRE: Verbal: 157 Quant: 156 AW: 5.5

Got accepted Early Decision. Good luck!

Accepted to TWU Houston

GRE: 160 V, 156 Q, 4.0 AW

Biology major at Arkansas State 2006
Sci 3.81
cGPA 3.9

Just got taken off the wait list for TWU Houston!! I've never been so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone who'll be starting there in August! =)

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some of your opinions on my upcoming PT application. I am applying in late August because I have summer classes that need to be added onto my transcript. Here are my stats
School: First 60hours at Junior College/ Last 60 hours University of Houston Clear-Lake
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Math/Science GPA: 3.67
Last 60 hours GPA as of right now GPA: 3.78
Community: Organized Facebook page and group to make care packages for the homeless.

Personal Trainer for 2 years, certified by the national academy of sports medicine.

Side note: Communicative and Convincing, have sold around $10,000 of personal training. Have taken on several "projects", training people for free to promote health and wellness.

Volunteer/Observation: 30 hours outpatient ortho, 40 hours in patient, 25 hours Neuro, 24 hours pediatric

Predicted GRE (8/15) : 290

Prodigious letters of recommendation

List of Schools :
UTMB
TWU
UNT
UTHSCSA
TEXAS STATE
ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY

What do you guys think my chances are with these schools????

Thanks!!

Travis

just up the GRE to the minimum and you should be good. if you don't meet the minimum stated by the school then don't bother applying.

They don't necessarily state a minimum, however they provide the average for a pt candidate. I actually know a guy from my program that was accepted to UTMB'S INCOMING for 2014-2015 class. His GRE was a 268!

Hey man! Just wanted to update you on UNTHSC. I went to their info session and got a lot of useful information. I asked about updating grades in December and they said that I can definitely do that, since they don't start to send out rejection letters until January. So I'm going to apply early and if I don't get offered an interview then hopefully an updated transcript will help haha. I also loved Fort Worth and the area that the HSC is in. Definitely a top choice. And congrats on UTHSCSA! I have a friend who is a first year there!

I'm in the same boat. I'm taking classes this Fall 2014 to raise my GPA and one as a retake. I called before and they told me they wouldn't "re-reivew" my application since I told them this similar situation. I told them that I wanted to submit ED, but I still have classes in the Fall that would help my GPA and such, would they look at my application again in December when I send them a new transcript. They said they wouldn't "re-review" my app, so I don't know if they guy understood what I was saying, but I really want to submit ED since I've heard its a greater chance, and is it right that if I don't hear back, I'll be able to submit my new transcripts in December for those classes still?

Please enlighten me! The deadline is this Oct.1 so I'm a bit rushed. Thank you in advance!

I was accepted at UTHSCSA! I just declined my spot at UNTHSC. I'm happy for the person who takes my spot there. UNT has a very nice program with a gracious faculty and staff. They also have awesome technology.
But I'm excited to start at UTHSCSA!

In regards to the UNTHSC app, when they ask for like specific classes like Chemistry II, if we retook it, is it fine if we only list the retake? or do we list all of times taken with the grade?

In regards to the UNTHSC app, when they ask for like specific classes like Chemistry II, if we retook it, is it fine if we only list the retake? or do we list all of times taken with the grade?

I included both classes, just to be sure.

Has anyone been denied from TWU? I've heard from many that they'll find their decision in late December, but I'm just wondering if any of you guys get an actual "No."