General Admissions & OTCAS Texas OT applicants 2018/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my application early August. Then took about a month to receive my confirmation that everything went through and heard about an interview early October so took about two month. I heard they have multiple interviews so i wouldn’t stress.
Thank you for the heads up. How did your interview go?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the heads up. How did your interview go?
I am actually interviewing this Friday. I’ve heard it’s a pretty calm comforting interview though

Reactions: 1 user
posting my stats!

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduated May 2018
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: 153-Verbal, 146-Quantitative & 4-Writing

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor in my undergrad college)

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA, TWU
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSA (12/18), UTMB (1/25), TWU (1/10)- Declined
Waitlist: TTUHSC
Acceptances: UTRGV

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
How was your interview?
Really relaxing. I interviewed in the first group. They’re were two groups. One went on a tour while the other interviewed. Overall it went great. It’s a speed dating interview so you’ll have 3 professors and one students come ask you questions.

posting my stats!

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor from my undergrad college

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSA (12/18)

Congrats on
posting my stats!

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor from my undergrad college

Congrats on your acceptance& interviews you’ve gotten! Has anyone else received an interview from UT Health San Antonio?

Congrats on

Congrats on your acceptance& interviews you’ve gotten! Has anyone else received an interview from UT Health San Antonio?
Congrats on

posting my stats!

posting my stats!

Congrats!! When did you hear from UTHSCSA?

I applied on August 15th and got verified on the 21st

That gives me a little comfort. Mine wasn't verified until September 24th. Best of luck at the interview. Please come back and share your experience with us!

Really relaxing. I interviewed in the first group. They’re were two groups. One went on a tour while the other interviewed. Overall it went great. It’s a speed dating interview so you’ll have 3 professors and one students come ask you questions.
Thanks! Glad it went great. Do they still have the writing and team assignment?

Thanks! Glad it went great. Do they still have the writing and team assignment?
The team assignment yes. Just make sure you contribute something. Not the writing portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
That gives me a little comfort. Mine wasn't verified until September 24th. Best of luck at the interview. Please come back and share your experience with us!

Same here, I submitted mine end of August and it was verified middle of Sept. Praying I hear back too

Congrats on

Praying I hear back soon. I submitted by application end of August and it was verified middle of Sept

Anyone interviewing at Texas Tech on December 1st? Hoping to connect.

Just received acceptance email from Texas Tech this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
So awesome!! Congratulations! If you can, please post your stats! I'm sure other people who applied would love to see how they measure up!!
University of Houston: BS in Psychology, Minor in Medicine and Society.I believe my official OTCAS GPA was a 3.59, and 3.6-4.0 prerequisite gpa depending on the program! (Not sure about the last 60hr gpa).
GRE: 150Q, 150V, 4.0 AW
I currently have 30hours post-acute inpatient brain rehabilitation observation, and 30 hours in pediatric home health. This number is a little low, wondering if I should try to get more before applying?
I volunteer for an equestrian therapy organization, and work part time with recreation therapists at a recreation center for people with disabilities!
I've worked as a research assistant under a clinical psychology graduate student, and I am also a certified lifeguard (along with BLS/First Aid)!
I will be receiving LORs from: 2 Rec Therapists, 1 OT, 1 COTA, and 1 from my A&P Professor
This will be my first time applying, so I'm super nervous and anxious about the whole process...I graduated about a year early from undergrad (Summer 2017) and have spent the last year gaining hours, experience, and working so I hope the extra time will pay off!

Good luck to others who are applying

Last edited:
Congrats on

I also heard back from UT Health San Antonio 11/16 and will be interviewing December 18th.

If you don't mind me asking, how big are the groups? Are the questions general or specific to your application? Also, I heard you have a group project. Is this related to occupational therapy?

If you don't mind me asking, how big are the groups? Are the questions general or specific to your application? Also, I heard you have a group project. Is this related to occupational therapy?
There were 16 of us there. They split you up 8 and 8. One interviews while the other tour. I did not have weird questions just why OT and Tech. The group project is something small to relate to OT.

I also heard back from UT Health San Antonio 11/16 and will be interviewing December 18th.

Congrats! Still waiting ☹
I'm an out of state applicant and the waiting process is excruciating.

There were 16 of us there. They split you up 8 and 8. One interviews while the other tour. I did not have weird questions just why OT and Tech. The group project is something small to relate to OT.
Thanks!

I interviewed on the 12th and heard back on 11/19!

Thanks! I still haven't heard back. Did you receive an email or a letter in the mail? I know someone that got a letter.

Just heard back from UTMB for interviews!!! They emailed me this morning (11/27) and gave me an option to choose either Jan 18 or Jan 25 for interviews. Ill post my stats later today!

Reactions: 3 users
Just heard back from UTMB for interviews!!! They emailed me this morning (11/27) and gave me an option to choose either Jan 18 or Jan 25 for interviews. Ill post my stats later today!

Me too! Such an exciting process!!

Thanks! I still haven't heard back. Did you receive an email or a letter in the mail? I know someone that got a letter.

I received both! They email notifying you of the acceptance letter that should arrive in the mail.

I have an interview for TTU December 1st. Has anyone heard from TWU about interviews yet?

Yay congrats, me too! I chose the 1/18 date.

For those of you who got interviews to UTMB could you please post your stats. I want to see something. Thank you

Hey Guys! This will be my third year applying for OT. The first year I made the mistake of only applying to one school. Last year I got an interview at 2/5 schools I applied to, and only got waitlisted for one. Here are my stats.

Hey, what an inspiration you are! You have a strong perseverance. I have a kid and a husband in north Texas so I can only apply for TWU Dallas or Denton. Wish you luck this time!

PreReq GPA: about 3.7
GRE: 145Q, 151V, W 4

Unfortunately, I can only apply for TWU Denton or Dallas because I am a non-traditional student and my husband can't move around with me. My fingers are crossed.... Is anybody setting TWU as his/her first choice???? IS the interview notice around 2nd week of December?

Hey, what an inspiration you are! You have a strong perseverance. I have a kid and a husband in north Texas so I can only apply for TWU Dallas or Denton. Wish you luck this time!

I'm a mom, too! We live outside SA, but are willing to move to Denton or Austin. Really have my heart set on staying here though! Good luck to you. We should be hearing from TWU soon!

I'm a mom, too! We live outside SA, but are willing to move to Denton or Austin. Really have my heart set on staying here though! Good luck to you. We should be hearing from TWU soon!
Stay in touch! That helps a lot to be able to pick up and move all together! Denton is cheaper to live than Dallas area.

For those of you who got interviews to UTMB could you please post your stats. I want to see something. Thank you

Current Stats-

Undergrad
: University of Texas at Dallas
GPA: cumulative- 3.57, pre-req- 3.8-9ish depending on the school
GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.5W
LORs: 2 OT, 1 COTA, 1 anatomy prof
Experiences/Extracurriculars: A&P II teaching assistant, founding member and fundraising chair for Doctors Without Borders on campus, volunteer regularly at Scottish Rite Hospital, volunteer NTFB, member and spring recruitment chair of sorority, AVID tutor, Phi Theta Kappa honor society, Dean’s List
Observation: ~140 hrs (2 nursing homes, 1 school setting, 1 outpatient rehab)

University of Houston: BS in Psychology, Minor in Medicine and Society.I believe my official OTCAS GPA was a 3.59, and 3.6-4.0 prerequisite gpa depending on the program! (Not sure about the last 60hr gpa).
GRE: 150Q, 150V, 4.0 AW
I have 36hours post-acute inpatient brain rehabilitation observation, and 30 hours in pediatric home health.
I volunteer for an equestrian therapy organization, and work part time with recreation therapists at a recreation center for people with disabilities!
I've worked as a research assistant under a clinical psychology graduate student, and I am also a certified lifeguard (along with BLS/First Aid)!
I had LORs from: 2 Rec Therapists, 1 OT, 1 COTA, and 1 from my A&P Professor