Texas MOT Applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it may be a little early, but I wanted to go ahead and start a thread for those of us who are applying to MOT programs in Texas!

I know that there have been changes to the application process for several Texas schools, so I figured we could use this thread to exchange information that could be helpful for us. I would also love to hear where everyone is at, as far as applications go. Share as much or as little as you would like to!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi proto, just thought I'd start this off and reply to you, I'm looking at applying to UTHSCSA, UTMB and TTU, my #1 choice is UTHSCSA (since I live in SA), where are you looking at applying too? I'm still working on my prereqs and should be all done by the end of next summer. I'm working on my volunteer/observation hrs right now (and probably throughout the school yr and summer). Where are you at right now in the application process or prereqs process?

I plan on applying to UTMB, TWU (Dallas and Houston) and UTHSCSA.

Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Last 60: (not sure but probably around 3.9)

I have done about 80 hours of OT shadowing in nursing facilities and pediatric settings. I plan on having about 40 more hours before applying.

I am also finishing up my pre-reqs (taking A&P 1 and medical terminology this summer) and (taking A&P 2 and physics this fall).

Good luck to everyone applying to Texas schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds y'all are right on track!

I'm applying to TWU (Dallas+Houston), UTMB, and Tech. The only general pre-reqs that I have left are A&P II and Medical Terminology, which will be respectively done this summer and fall. I'll also be taking the more specific pre-reqs this upcoming school year.

Major: Sociology
Overall GPA: ~3.8
Last 60 hours: ~3.9
Pre-Req GPA: Expecting a 3.7 after this summer.

I've finished my observation hours, but I'll have 400+ by the time I apply. My letters of recommendation have already been lined up, so I'm hoping to get everything in by August/September. I am super eager for these applications to open up!

Also, I went to the TWU Dallas info session on the 8th. They said that they'll be looking primarily at GPA and will only look at the 20 hours you have documented. They also said that the number of pre-reqs completed won't have an influence on their decision as long as the minimum 7 hours are completed; it's one reason why they're requiring next year's applicants to have all pre-reqs completed by the semester of application. Last year's accepted applicants had an average GPA of 3.7-3.8. They also mentioned that they have almost always offered a spot to someone on the waitlist.

I will not be applying for 2014 but I will be applying to schools in Texas.
I will be a Junior in the fall and am scheduled to graduate in May 2015 and hopefully get into a MOT program and commence August 2015. :) So I'm not too far off from y'all!

I will be applying to TWU's "Assured Admission" program in Denton. Basically if I have @ least a 3.7 on my last 60 credits (which I will barely be starting in the fall, so techinically I have a 'clean slate'), an A or B on all of my pre-reqs (which I do so far), complete 20 observation hours with 1 single OT, have a favorable LOR, current undergraduate @ TWU Denton (which I am) and have a selected major in either child development, family studies, kinesiology, psychology, or health studies (which I am), then I am "assured" to get into the MOT program @ TWU Denton.

If that doesn't happen, then I will also be applying to TWU Dallas. I have a son and am a single parent so re-locating any further more thank likely won't be a possibility for me. But who knows. This is my plan for now.

Major: Psych
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 ( I have taken A&P I & II, Abnormal Psych, & Developmental Psych) (I still need Statistics, Kinesiology, Neuroanatomy & Medical Terminology)
Observation hours: none officially since I am just trying to observe different settings this summer.
LOR: none

I will be taking statistics this summer @ a CC and medical terminology online. I will be taking Kinesiology in the Fall. I hope to shadow in different enviroments this summer as well to get a good feel of OT. So far I have observed inpatient re-hab and absoultely loved it! I have so much empathy for the patients. Ever since then, I have been even more motivated for school and eager for my future as an OT! :) Good Luck to everybody!

Is there anyone else who is applying to Texas MOT programs these next few months? I know several applications are due in October, so I'd love to see updates!

I will be turning in my application for TWU (Dallas and Houston) at the end of August or beginning of September. This is the only school(s) I'm applying for.

Major: B.S. in Biology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Prereq GPA: 4.0 (still 1 more prereq to go: A&P I)
Observation Hours: 20 at a SNF
LOR: yes, from my DevPsy professor

Applying for OT school was kind of a sudden thing, which is why my observation hours is so low, because I just started a couple weeks ago. I was originally pre-med but was put off by the extra years of school, MCAT, and student debt, and then luckily, I fell in love with OT after observing an OTR at an SNF. I heard TWU is among the most competitive in Texas, however, so if I get rejected, I'd get more observation hours and apply to more schools for 2015 entry.

I'm only applying to TWU-Dallas for Fall 2014. Now I'm just waiting on applyTexas to open up their Fall 2014 application (supposedly it would open by late August?).

Major: B.S. in Studio Arts
Last 60 u. GPA: 4.0
Prereq GPA: 4.0
Observation Hours: 20 hrs at a outpatient clinic [+ ~2 years as a PT/hand-OT aide.]
LOR: From my human development professor ♥

I have everything ready except the personal essay. I wish TWU didn't change the essay prompt! I'm so nervous about it already, I really hope I get in!

Wow, impressive applications! I was told during the info session that the general TWU application would open up in early September, but it'll be soon regardless.

Thanks for the heads up, proto! I would love to finish the application process as early as possible since I regrettably left all my most difficult classes for this upcoming semester. The thing I love most is that TWU no longer conducts interviews, so I don't have to worry about traveling when I have to study for biochem and microphys >.<

By the way, are any of y'all familiar with the cost of all the Texas schools? Which would you say is the cheapest? I understand the cost of living in Dallas is pretty high, especially when you want to live in a safer area, so I'm interested in their tuition costs.

Thanks for the heads up, proto! I would love to finish the application process as early as possible since I regrettably left all my most difficult classes for this upcoming semester. The thing I love most is that TWU no longer conducts interviews, so I don't have to worry about traveling when I have to study for biochem and microphys >.<

By the way, are any of y'all familiar with the cost of all the Texas schools? Which would you say is the cheapest? I understand the cost of living in Dallas is pretty high, especially when you want to live in a safer area, so I'm interested in their tuition costs.

I can't say which one is the cheapest, but they're all pretty inexpensive. Resident tuition and fees for one long semester at TWU and UTMB should fall slightly under $5000. I haven't looked at the other schools' tuition costs, but I imagine they hover around the same number.

Also, living in the Dallas area can be pretty inexpensive if you know where to look. A lot of people who work in Dallas commute from surrounding cities and neighborhoods.

if you're a resident in Texas, TWU should cost you around 26K total in tuition. If you're not, tack on an extra 30K (So ~56K)

I moved to Texas to gain some state residency, and it's not that expensive here at all. There's quite a few places renting out rooms around the Dallas area for cheap! I found one for $400 (my own bedroom, bathroom, and includes utilities). Food is really up to you. If you eat out all the time, it can get really expensive. Meat is inexpensive; veggies are pricey though. Be prepared to commute as well.

Thank you guys! That sounds promising as I am a Texas resident. I heard TWU has a scholarship for OT students, but I don't know much about it or if it's even still offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only applying to TWU-Dallas for Fall 2014. Now I'm just waiting on applyTexas to open up their Fall 2014 application (supposedly it would open by late August?).

Actually, I just checked and the application is set to open on August 16th!

Hello all!

I will be applying to the MOT program at TWU (Dallas and Houston). I have completed most of my pre-requisites; so far with a 3.5 gpa (I still have 1 more class in progress). I graduated with a degree in Health Studies and have a 3.8 on my last 60 hours. For the past couple years I have been working as a case manager (children/adults with Intellectual Developmental Disabilities). I am fluent in Spanish and will have completed over 100 hours of observation at a Pediatric OT clinic by the time I apply.

When I read these forums and see an average gpa of 4.0 and 100+ hours of observation, I can't help but stress and think my gpa may not be as competitive. TWU no longer interviews, so I plan to submit a strong personal statement with my application.

I am curious to ask&#8230; how many of you are working parents? What kind of experience do you have aside from volunteer work?

I look forward to your feedback and good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if TWU puts much consideration into where we went to undergrad? My GPA doesn't seem as competitive, but I went to a top 25 school. Just wondering. I'm nervous!

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the new Abilene Christian University MOT program?!!?

Does anyone know if TWU puts much consideration into where we went to undergrad? My GPA doesn't seem as competitive, but I went to a top 25 school. Just wondering. I'm nervous!

I honestly don't think TWU cares about the school you attended. From the informational I went to, I got the impression that they just want to see that you met the requirements. I think that the only part they look at subjectively is the recommendation letters and the personal statement.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the new Abilene Christian University MOT program?!!?

I had no idea there was a new program starting up! Approval is still pending for the program, but it's exciting to see more schools begin to offer the program. Thanks for the info!

Hey guys, do y'all know if TWU makes their decisions right as they receive the applications? Or do they make decisions after the deadline?

I'm stressing right now because my community college transcripts got lost in the mail and now I'll have to order new ones and wait another week :/

Hi everyone! I'm currently still working on my application to TWU, and I was wondering when everyone submitted their complete application? TWU doesn't discriminate based on when you submit your application, correct?

I want to take time with my personal statement, but not if submitting it closer to the deadline would give me a disadvantage. The personal statement is the only thing I have left to complete.

Hi all! I'm a current OT student at UTMB and am here if you have any questions. Here's what I can tell you about my experience applying and interviewing.

TWU does their almost entirely based off of GPA. They take the applicant pool, then decide a cut-off GPA based on a percentage of the number of applicants.

UTMB assigns points to every aspect of the application. Your personal statement, GPA, individual interview, group interview, response paper written while at the interview etc. each get a certain number of points. Personally, I love UTMB. The interview was very laid back and the older students were there to ask questions. I prefer the interview, as it is your opportunity to "sell yourself" and make yourself stand out apart from your GPA. So if your GPA is lower, there is still hope as the interview gives you an opportunity to showcase why you would be an attractive asset to the program. I will be there this year when you all interview. UTMB is competitive- it is currently the best program in Texas. However, once you get in, it is collaborative and the professors are wonderful and are really there to help. It is hard and fast paced but manageable. Personally, I got a scholarship and there are quite a few available. My resident tuition is about $3,500 a semester. Also, I know that at least here, they do not look twice at your observation hours. They just want to make sure you did the minimum and know what OTs do. It is not necessary to get hundreds of hours and your time would honestly be better spent elsewhere (personal statement, studying for prereqs).

Good luck!

I talked to someone at TWU and they told me that we wouldn't hear back until mid-January? I'm not sure why this is so late since they aren't even conducting interviews... Anyone have any more information on this?

Is anyone having trouble with the UTMB mySTAR? It is notifying me of LORs and transcripts that haven't been received, and Enrollment Services isn't very helpful. I'm worried I'm the only one with this problem and don't know if I should just resend everything since the deadline is next week.

Hey guys, do y'all know if TWU makes their decisions right as they receive the applications? Or do they make decisions after the deadline?

I'm stressing right now because my community college transcripts got lost in the mail and now I'll have to order new ones and wait another week :/
I heard last week that they do not look at who ever turns theirs in first. They wait for the whole group for the deadline and then they begin looking at applications as a whole :)

I heard last week that they do not look at who ever turns theirs in first. They wait for the whole group for the deadline and then they begin looking at applications as a whole :)

pherrera,

Where did you receive this information from?

Hey everyone! It is now time for us to wait and hear from schools! Could y'all please keep me update with when you get interview requests or not?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! It is now time for us to wait and hear from schools! Could y'all please keep me update with when you get interview requests or not?

Thanks!
Do you want just Texas schools or any schools for Texas residents cause I did receive one for an out of Texas school but I live in Texas.

Thanks!

Seconded!

Would you mind sharing your stats with us? I'd love to hear about what schools you applied to!

Is anyone else nervous about how long we might have to wait before we hear from TWU? I applied to Dallas and Houston. I know that this is their first year to not do interviews, so I am not sure what to expect as far as a timeline goes. All of my friends who have been to TWU said that they heard about interviews in November, but about whether or not they were accepted in late December-January. At the information session they said that we would hear something by "the holidays" - but I am not sure if that means Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years.

I am so anxious! I left my teaching career to go get prerequisites and they were completed in August. I ended up getting a job as a therapy tech at the same pediatric clinic where I got my observation hours - I hope this shows how dedicated I am to becoming an OT!

Credentials:
Undergrad last 60 hrs: 3.74
Pre-requisites: 4.0
Past career: French teacher

TWU told me we would all hear at one time (mid-January). Not sure why they would wait this long when they aren't doing interviews?

Current overall GPA: 3.95
Pre-req GPA: 4.0

^
Really? Because when I asked the secretary, she told me that the students will most likely hear the results around end of november or possibly mid-December.

I went to the TWU info session in Dallas on the 21st of September and they said we will know if we are accepted or not by Thanksgiving.
I also have an interview at Tech on the 19th!
I applied to TWU (Dallas & Houston), Tech and UTMB. I am really hoping to get into TWU though! Here are my stats:

Major: Exercise and Sports Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.9
I also have about 400 hours from OT tech jobs at a hospital and outpatient clinic.

Goodluck everyone!

I went to the TWU info session in Dallas on the 21st of September and they said we will know if we are accepted or not by Thanksgiving.
I also have an interview at Tech on the 19th!
I applied to TWU (Dallas & Houston), Tech and UTMB. I am really hoping to get into TWU though! Here are my stats:

Major: Exercise and Sports Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.9
I also have about 400 hours from OT tech jobs at a hospital and outpatient clinic.

Goodluck everyone!

You already heard from Tech about an interview???? When did you apply??
Has anyone else heard from Tech about an interview yet?

I just received an email this morning for an interview at Texas Tech I applied in the beginning of September.

Seconded!

Would you mind sharing your stats with us? I'd love to hear about what schools you applied to!

Yes of course! I applied to TWU, Tech, and UTMB.

My overall GPA is pretty low
3.27 from my current university although I took a lot of classes at other schools over the summer with all As

My prerequisites GPA ranges from 3.78-3.85 depending on the school.

I still plan on applying to UTEP as well.

Yes. I got my application in around the beginning of September. Has anyone heard from UTMB?

I applied to TWU (Dallas/Houston), UTMB and UTHSCSA (haven't heard a word from these guys at all).- The wait is killing me however.

I'm contemplating applying to Texas Tech and Loma Linda!! I have everything done for both schools except the essay but i'm just not sure if i want to apply to Tech since i've already applied to 4 TX programs.

Just FYI you won't hear anything from TWU until a few weeks after the application deadline. I found out I got an interview about 3 weeks after last year's deadline. I go there now...good luck!

Just FYI you won't hear anything from TWU until a few weeks after the application deadline. I found out I got an interview about 3 weeks after last year's deadline. I go there now...good luck!

Since they don't have interviews this year... do you think everything is going to be based just on grades? Like on a point system?

Im like so nervous.... I check my email everyday like a million times a day!

Since they don't have interviews this year... do you think everything is going to be based just on grades? Like on a point system?

I don't know all the details, but I was told that they assign a different value to each part of the application. For example, the OT rec letter may be worth 15-20% of your application score.

I don't know all the details, but I was told that they assign a different value to each part of the application. For example, the OT rec letter may be worth 15-20% of your application score.

Okay yes that makes sense! I hope we hear from TWU before the fall semester is over!

Thank you so much!

Hi Proto,

You have a lot of helpful information, thanks! Is the OT school secretary letting you know all of this, or did you hear it at the September information session? I went to the information session in June, and they didn't have a lot of specific information to pass on regarding a timeline for acceptance or what would be considered when evaluating each applicant.

At that point, they just told us that GPA was "very important", and most likely the most important factor, but that recommendations were also going to be weighed considerably.

I am so nervous and praying everyday to get in!! I wish us all luck.

Hi Proto,

You have a lot of helpful information, thanks! Is the OT school secretary letting you know all of this, or did you hear it at the September information session? I went to the information session in June, and they didn't have a lot of specific information to pass on regarding a timeline for acceptance or what would be considered when evaluating each applicant.

At that point, they just told us that GPA was "very important", and most likely the most important factor, but that recommendations were also going to be weighed considerably.

I am so nervous and praying everyday to get in!! I wish us all luck.

Actually, I know someone who was involved in the admissions process! I also went to the June session and remember hearing the same things you did. It's a little frustrating because this is their first year not interviewing, so we can't rely on previous years' posts on this site for a general timeline. I'm really curious as to how heavily the academic recommendation is going to be weighed!

Quick last minute question for TWU applicants. Did any of you include your full resume in the application packet?

Quick last minute question for TWU applicants. Did any of you include your full resume in the application packet?

I did not, were we suppose to? I didn't know we could add any extra stuff then what was on the checklist....

I did not, were we suppose to? I didn't know we could add any extra stuff then what was on the checklist....

I don't believe we're supposed to, but I don't know where else to show all of volunteer hours??? Trying to decide if adding a resume would help or harm me...

I don't believe we're supposed to, but I don't know where else to show all of volunteer hours??? Trying to decide if adding a resume would help or harm me...

I figured they just didn't take them into account? I don't know though! Maybe you should just call and ask!