TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My Final Dates on TMDSAS: LMFU 110504 ; RCW and Validation 010405

Matched at my 1st choice school, UTSW.

SO, LMFU changes really have nothing to do with the Match. Perhaps some did have date movement during that time...but most likely becuase the TMDSAS was doing their normal stuff (what that is, I have absolutely no idea!)

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted say thank you for all the supports everyone has given me, and for sharing all the information to let my theory come to fruition :D Congrats to everyone who was accepted, especially those of you for whom this is a second cycle ;) (evo) I want you all that didn't match to try and remain positive, and sincerely hope that it all works out for you. This thread is both happy and sad at the same time. I can't explain how exited I am that my dream has finally become a reality, and I am sure many of you feel this way too :)
Good Luck, I am sure I will see many o you in the future as collegues and peers...I will be posting on the UTSW thread now, so I guess i won't be around here much.

P.S. I also got the UTSW scholarship, man what a dream come true!!!

Alexander Pink said:
I just wanted say thank you for all the supports everyone has given me, and for sharing all the information to let my theory come to fruition :D Congrats to everyone who was accepted, especially those of you for whom this is a second cycle ;) (evo) I want you all that didn't match to try and remain positive, and sincerely hope that it all works out for you. This thread is both happy and sad at the same time. I can't explain how exited I am that my dream has finally become a reality, and I am sure many of you feel this way too :)
Good Luck, I am sure I will see many o you in the future as collegues and peers...I will be posting on the UTSW thread now, so I guess i won't be around here much.

P.S. I also got the UTSW scholarship, man what a dream come true!!!

Congrats on matching at UTSW and for the scholarship! How did UTSW notify you about the scholarship? E-mail? Phone? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
My LMFU remained 12/16/04. I freaked out the whole time about this only to find out at midnight last night that I got my first choice. :rolleyes:

Anybody has information about how much movement there was historically in the UTSW alternate list, especially for out-of-staters?

Once again....this is a message to the class of 2010:

LMFU almost definitely does not correlate with the match!! :D :D

*EDIT* my LMFU stayed at 1/10/05 and I matched :)

-tx

I'm on the wait list at TCOM - I just got off the phone with Houston, and she said their letters will be mailed in two weeks.

Does anyone know how much movement there is with w/l? I know people that end up going out-of-state or Baylor will free up spots for others, but really, how many people is that??

apar01 said:
Congrats on matching at UTSW and for the scholarship! How did UTSW notify you about the scholarship? E-mail? Phone? Thanks.

E-mail, said 10% class gets it. Oh, and my LMFU was always 1/10/05, absolutely no correlation to the match! Next years class gets a heads up. Oh, and apar01, r u debating btwn Baylor and UTSW?

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827, wdarli

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
papunjabi, topworm, WelchAg04, Quartz, ifailedmcat, ilona

TMDSAS Match Results :horns:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy, jht

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

C/O 2009 Threads: :clap:

UT San Antonio: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176520

UT Houston: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176535

UTMB: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2247554

UTSW: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176511

TCOM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176525

A&M: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176544

Tech: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176545

EvoDevo said:
Hey, check out the Houston get-together thread, oh Evil One.

You're too kind, oh emulated one. :)

hey guys, congratulations on getting accepted into the school of your choice! :thumbup:

Fortunately I was matched, but it was to my last ranked school... Is there anyway we can find out if we are waitlisted at the other TX schools instead of waiting around for them to send their letters in the mail? I was really hoping to get into either UTH, UTMB, or UTSA, and hopefully I waitilisted at one of those schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
It follows the saying: "Everything's Bigger In TEXAS!"

Anybody feel like studying for Step 1?

No?

Just me I guess.

RangerD said:
and the Gunner emerges...

:)

Im still learning the med lingo.....I know there are gunners, but can I be a stunna?

jdovez said:
Im still learning the med lingo.....I know there are gunners, but can I be a stunna?

What about a sniper? (secret/closet gunner lol)

-tx

Anybody know what happened to True Blue? I haven't heard from him post match, and I am afriad he got some bad news last night. I hope that isn't the case!

jdovez said:

too late! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2tall said:
Texas Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to my fellow louisianian (is that a word?) 2tall!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

redd said:
hey guys, congratulations on getting accepted into the school of your choice! :thumbup:

Fortunately I was matched, but it was to my last ranked school... Is there anyway we can find out if we are waitlisted at the other TX schools instead of waiting around for them to send their letters in the mail? I was really hoping to get into either UTH, UTMB, or UTSA, and hopefully I waitilisted at one of those schools...

Check your pms

ifailedmcat said:
Originally Posted by redd
hey guys, congratulations on getting accepted into the school of your choice!

Check your pms

hey, ifailedmcat...if u know sumthin, do tell

i was wondering the same thing

HOLLA

Oh I just told him what I knew about the UTMB waitlist. I posted it already earlier in this thread. I guess this thread will now unofficially become the waitlist thread?

*crickets chirping* :)

just wanted to say congrats to all who matched and good luck to those who are still waiting.

S

JDAD said:
Anybody know what happened to True Blue? I haven't heard from him post match, and I am afriad he got some bad news last night. I hope that isn't the case!

I was wondering the same thing..... :confused: :confused:

-tx

Hey folks!

An idea came up @ last night's Houston area get-together which I think needs posting. Since there are, *ahem*, close on 6,400 posts(!) :eek: in this thread, it might be a great idea if we posted summaries of the important things that came out of this thread. Such as the validity (or lack thereof) of the various date changes, impressions of each school, specific advice for next year's applicants, etc.

What do y'all think? Any volunteers?

EvoDevo said:
Hey folks!

An idea came up @ last night's Houston area get-together which I think needs posting. Since there are, *ahem*, close on 6,400 posts(!) :eek: in this thread, it might be a great idea if we posted summaries of the important things that came out of this thread. Such as the validity (or lack thereof) of the various date changes, impressions of each school, specific advice for next year's applicants, etc.

What do y'all think? Any volunteers?

Okay recap:

1. Everyone's a hottie
2. date changes mean jack (mine didn't change, others' did, at least this year it's all bunk).
3. UTSW's page lets accepted applicants know early (surreptitiously through the big bro/sis website)
4. Seabass, Runner etc have some weird ass BC4evA thing going on and we really don't care (but oh, we do, we do)
5. Evo's a badass for getting into UTHSCSA (and everyone else is a badass for getting into their schools or not giving up if the news wasn't so bright this year)
6. EVERYONE is the wrong gender (me, Seabass, lane, etc... we're all the opposite sex, according to other SDNers)
**7. This was the BEST TMDSAS thread EVER!!!

did I leave anything out?

TMDSAS Match Results:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita, eartoocean

UT Southwestern

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

You guys are so sweet to ask. I did not match. This stings twice as bad because I am a reapplicant. :( :(

Congratulations to all of you for getting in!!! I am so happy for you! Good luck! :luck:

By the way, I am a girl :)

:) I don't post very often on studentdoctor network, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who always answered my questions. Congrats to everyone who matched. I matched with my first choice... UT Houston !! I can't wait to meet my fellow classmates next year, I missed the get togethers last night cause I wasn't in town, pm me and let me know if there will be anymore :)

UT Houston class of 2009

true blue said:
You guys are so sweet to ask. I did not match. This stings twice as bad because I am a reapplicant. :( :(

Congratulations to all of you for getting in!!! I am so happy for you! Good luck! :luck:

best of luck :) you still have another 6 full months to move up the waitlist so don't lose hope.

if you plan on reapplying, though, get your stuff in quickly since next year is more of a rolling-style admissions process :)

true blue said:

Hey TB. Sorry to hear it. :( But like lane says, you could still get in off the waitlist.

If it's any comfort, I've been there. Perhaps there's something you can do to put you "over the hump" (i.e., upping your MCAT). You can do it!!!!

PM me if you want.

Lane,
Do you know any specifics on the "rolling-style" admissions process for next year. Will they get rid of the match altogether. If not, then how will they prevent applicants from holding two or more acceptances? I didn't match. UTHSCSA was the only place I interviewed and would have been my first choice had I interviewed anywhere else. Dr. Jones' assistant said he is making the alternate pool right now and letters will be mailed the middle of next week. She said it is not ranked, just a pool from which they select applicants.

Thanks

lane said:
best of luck :) you still have another 6 full months to move up the waitlist so don't lose hope.

if you plan on reapplying, though, get your stuff in quickly since next year is more of a rolling-style admissions process :)

RTQPCR said:
Lane,
Do you know any specifics on the "rolling-style" admissions process for next year. Will they get rid of the match altogether. If not, then how will they prevent applicants from holding two or more acceptances? I didn't match. UTHSCSA was the only place I interviewed and would have been my first choice had I interviewed anywhere else. Dr. Jones' assistant said he is making the alternate pool right now and letters will be mailed the middle of next week. She said it is not ranked, just a pool from which they select applicants.

Thanks

Does anyone know if Houston's list is ranked or a pool?

eartoocean said:
TMDSAS Match Results:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead, dizzydog, USCTex, dolchevita, eartoocean

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

papunjabi, topworm, WelchAg04, Quartz, ifailedmcat, ilona, BSR1

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827, wdarli, superunknown

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo, redrocks

RTQPCR said:
Lane,

Thanks
Just to add on to this a bit. Spoke with Houston and San Antonio this afternoon about their alternate list. Both schools review the entire alternate pool when openings become available. I asked about a letter of intent/interest, and the staff member at Houston said that she didn't think additional material was added to your file after the match. However, in my opinion, it couldn't hurt to send a letter directly to the dean of admissions if you find you are wait listed.

TMDSAS Match Results:

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01, diver

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza, drbevo

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen, apar01, diver

UT Houston

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake, DeepCowboy, SEUPATTY

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University

RTQPCR said:
Lane,

Thanks
Does anyone know how TAMU does their waitlist? Is it ranked or all alternates reviewed when a spot opens up? Also, I read conflicting posts about what they said. Did anyone else talk to them to find out when they will compile the list and send letters?

Any comments are much appreciated.

I'm sorry u didn't match TB. :( But if it makes you feel better, I ranked A&M 2nd and matched with UT-Houston which I ranked 3rd. But I'd rather go to UTH, so I'm withdrawing from A&M's waitlist so I'm one less person to compete against. From what I've heard the TX schools pretty much just pull people off the waitlist based on their initial rank. I really really hope you get in! :) :luck: :)

true blue, i'm really sorry. It's just not fair. I wish there were something I could do!!! You're so cool and you deserve to get in. I really hope you don't give up and reapply next cycle if you don't get in off the waitlist. Iknew that not everyone on the forum would match, but it still brings me down. :(

eralza said:
Just to add on to this a bit. Spoke with Houston and San Antonio this afternoon about their alternate list. Both schools review the entire alternate pool when openings become available. I asked about a letter of intent/interest, and the staff member at Houston said that she didn't think additional material was added to your file after the match. However, in my opinion, it couldn't hurt to send a letter directly to the dean of admissions if you find you are wait listed.

Houston is not amenable to extra letters of interest, unfortunately. I know someone who sent one there (from a UTH faculty member) and they had their letter returned, with their name misspelled, & some form letter about how UTH only keeps electronic applications (no files).

UTHSCSA might be more open to it.

Good luck!