TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn....you guys were busy last night (if anyone is still reading this). I took a 3 hour nap to find out my result at 1. Tried to log on here for 5 minutes but the server must have been overwhelmed, then fell back asleep. Good luck to everyone in their respective schools!!!

Members don't see this ad.

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, daysleeprx, shock827

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre, CharlieVN, whtdasheezy

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza,

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
papunjabi, topworm, WelchAg04, Quartz, ifailedmcat

For those that got into both Baylor and UT Southwestern which school are you leaning towards? Just curious on what people see as the differences.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo (or, El Presidente), AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451, DualSuperLead

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds, heeter, ut_stephen

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza,

Congratulation to all of Texas C/O 2009 :D

I waitlisted at two :thumbdown:

Really glad for those out of state acceptances now.

Signed,

Waiting and Bummed Out

OrthoFixation said:
Congratulation to all of Texas C/O 2009 :D

I waitlisted at two :thumbdown:

Really glad for those out of state acceptances now.

Signed,

Waiting and Bummed Out
Did you already receive waitlist letters?

No, TTU told me online. I'm assuming on TCOM since I match their current stat profile.

When can we find out our waitlist positions? Don't they have 2 weeks to make their lists?

I think some schools will already have them, since they numerically rank all interviewees.

TX Match Results:

UT San Antonio
txguy, some dude named Evo, AsianDoc816, CalicoKat, aprilshyla, CrzyDoc451

UT Southwestern
MadameLULU, IndyZX, JDAD, Coronada, Bright Star, SteveUTexas, Alexander Pink, MD, mwhou, Mateodaspy, dcham, meads, ninebillion, runner1979, Tgerwuds

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, getunconcsious, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS

UTMB - Galveston
fotolilith, UTKB, wdarli :D :D

Texas Tech University
latinfridley, 2tall, MedicoTre

Texas A&M University
SFAJess

papunjabi, topworm, getunconcsious, WelchAg04, Quartz

Well, I failed to match. You can now consider me one of those who interviewed at four schools and got matched nowhere. I can always hope for waitlists, but it is not likely.

TCOM, UTMB, Houston, and Tech showed me no love last night. I say we keep this thread open for the waitlistees to share information about a possible match.

For next year's class: So I guess LMFU has nothing to do with the match!

-tx

jbp100 said:
Well, I failed to match. You can now consider me one of those who interviewed at four schools and got matched nowhere. I can always hope for waitlists, but it is not likely.

TCOM, UTMB, Houston, and Tech showed me no love last night. I say we keep this thread open for the waitlistees to share information about a possible match.

Sorry to hear about that. You got the power to keep this thing rolling!

jbp100 said:

It is still perplexing to me as well, and I would pat you on the shoulder if I were there. I can empathize. There really doesn't seem to be an absolute formula for matching, and I can firmly certify that it isn't all about grades or MCAT scores. Up until this morning, I was getting my study materials out to begin studying again for the April test. The only things that kept me in check were a few bible passages, a good night kiss from my kids, and my cat sleeping across my feet.
I wish you luck on the waitlists! Stay positive!

eralza said:
It is still perplexing to me as well, and I would pat you on the shoulder if I were there. I can empathize. There really doesn't seem to be an absolute formula for matching, and I can firmly certify that it isn't all about grades or MCAT scores. Up until this morning, I was getting my study materials out to begin studying again for the April test. The only things that kept me in check were a few bible passages, a good night kiss from my kids, and my cat sleeping across my feet.
I wish you luck on the waitlists! Stay positive!

Tell me about it, I applied with a 31/3.68 and I was assured by everyone that I would match high :(

Members don't see this ad :)
OrthoFixation said:
No, TTU told me online. I'm assuming on TCOM since I match their current stat profile.

When can we find out our waitlist positions? Don't they have 2 weeks to make their lists?

I think some schools will already have them, since they numerically rank all interviewees.
Sorry to hear it, man. Don't give up hope - Lane got in off SA's w/l last year. And I believe that Tech has a fair amount of w/l movement. :luck:

Congrats to everyone that matched and good luck to those on waitlists.

I'm glad this emotional ride has finally reached its climax and we can breathe a little more calmy today regardless of the results. That midnight game is no fun and brings a lot of anxiety!

Well y'all have provided me with a tremendous amount of help and I wanted to thank you all! I couldn't think of a better way to procrastinate.

ifailedmcat said:
Tell me about it, I applied with a 31/3.68 and I was assured by everyone that I would match high :(
I'm just the opposite, but with enough clinical experience and a M.S. to overshadow my youthful mistakes (i.e. skiing and rock climbing instead of going to class).

CONGRATS EVO!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! :D

SFAJess said:
Congrats to everyone that matched and good luck to those on waitlists.

I'm glad this emotional ride has finally reached its climax and we can breathe a little more calmy today regardless of the results. That midnight game is no fun and brings a lot of anxiety!

Well y'all have provided me with a tremendous amount of help and I wanted to thank you all! I couldn't think of a better way to procrastinate.
I was waiting for hours for you to start up a TAMU thread, but finally gave in a few minutes ago. How are you feeling? Emotionally drained?

SFAJess said:
CONGRATS EVO!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! :D
Thanks, Jess! I'm pretty stinkin' happy. :)

It also makes me happy to see that you made it in to your #1!!! Yay! :clap: You get to be with your boyfriend! That is sweet, sweet justice.

Eralza:
I wanted to, but we are the only two so far....doesn't make much of a thread. :) Congratulations....I'm glad we are going to be classmates!!

I'm so happy that I'll be in class with Evo, aprilshyla, and txguy! =)

Oh, it all worked out for the best!

Congrats AsianDoc!!!! I always knew you could do it!!! :D

SFAJess said:
Congrats AsianDoc!!!! I always knew you could do it!!! :D

Um, all that belly-aching about getting an interview obviously paid off. I owe the acceptance to my second interview with Dean Jones. I guess I made a good impression =)

I just called all the schools I interviewed at:

Tech: Apparently rejected, because if you're waitlisted it shows up on the site. Not too surprising, I had a really bad interview there.

A&M: Talked to Dean Maldonado himself, waitlists are still being compiled, 4 people got off last year, but only after going through 10-12 people.

UTH: Still being compiled

UTMB (my number one): she said I was definitely waitlisted and 30-40 people got off the list last year! But she said not to rely on that because it was highly unusual.

hey ifailedmcat

what does it mean at a&M that they went through 10-12 people.

i am trying to contact schools but i think they knew people were gonna call.

thehopeful said:
hey ifailedmcat

what does it mean at a&M that they went through 10-12 people.

i am trying to contact schools but i think they knew people were gonna call.

When they offered some people admission, they were already content with their match and did not take the offer of admission. Overall, they went through 10-12 people, but out of these people, only 4 accepted the offer.

asiandoc-

YOur PM box is full.. :) I can't respond. :D

ifailedmcat said:
I like your name btw, I'm thinking about changing my name to something with "hope" in it.

so ifailedmcat

what about tech, how many people get accepted there offwait list, i liked tech alot. i'm on their waitlist, i am not sure whether to be happy or not.

a&m told me they won't make the list til april and that you may hear from them may/june, YIKES!!!!.

houston told me the same thing they told you.

okay so i know this will/may sound wrong but i am in this postion so i feel i must do whatever necessary,

for people with outof state acceptance or baylor, can ya'll go there so more spots for people like me open up. believe me i know how wrong it sounds, but i am scared.

EvoDevo said:
A hearty congrats to everyone on this thread:

RangerD, SFAJess, Fotolilith, Pink, Runner, AsianDoc, erlaza, tigerwuds, shock, latinfridley, etc. Sorry if I missed anyone. It's been awesome knowing everyone and I am proud proud proud to be your colleague.

:horns:

Congrats on getting in to SA! Great school, and you'll make a great doc! :thumbup:

all right one more thing, which also sounds wrong,

but ya'll make up you mind quick so we know faster if we have a chance this year, i was goona go out of country to meet family but now i won't go until this med school stuff clears up.

thehopeful said:
so ifailedmcat

what about tech, how many people get accepted there offwait list, i liked tech alot. i'm on their waitlist, i am not sure whether to be happy or not.

a&m told me they won't make the list til april and that you may hear from them may/june, YIKES!!!!.

houston told me the same thing they told you.

I didn't ask actually, all they told me to do was check the site. I didn't think of asking until I called the next couple of schools, doh. I think the most movement will happen april-june. That's pure speculation though.

I dunno if anyone will know the answer to this but I might as well try. If someone didn't match to their first choice but they get in later, will it show up on the TMDSAS page or do they just find out from the school directly? I'm assuming it's from the school, but just wanted to see if anyone actually knew... My friend got into her third and I'm hoping she'll move up to her #1.

Emily

thehopeful said:
okay so i know this will/may sound wrong but i am in this postion so i feel i must do whatever necessary,

for people with outof state acceptance or baylor, can ya'll go there so more spots for people like me open up. believe me i know how wrong it sounds, but i am scared.

keep up the faith.. over the next few weeks, some spots should open up. :luck:

Ylime said:
I dunno if anyone will know the answer to this but I might as well try. If someone didn't match to their first choice but they get in later, will it show up on the TMDSAS page or do they just find out from the school directly? I'm assuming it's from the school, but just wanted to see if anyone actually knew... My friend got into her third and I'm hoping she'll move up to her #1.

Emily

I'm pretty sure you have to call the school directly to find out now. Otherwise, your friend will have to wait in the mail for waitlist letters to come. The TMD site says not to call about match results, so yea..

Well A & M was her first, and a couple people said they already called there, so I will tell her what they've found out so far... I told her to write a letter of interest to them, so maybe that will help.

Emily

roja said:
asiandoc-

YOur PM box is full.. :) I can't respond. :D

Just cleared it out....it's about time I did that =)

This day really is bittersweet, isn't it? I'm thoroughly excited for all of you who managed to match but really bummed for those of you who got the short end of the stick. For those who got in, the largest possible congrats I can muster. For those who didn't match, keep your head up. Waitlists move and bottomline, you WILL be a doctor.

It's been emotional

AJ

The good thing is that I am on the waitlist. She could not however tell me what my rank on the list was or how many people they normally accepted off of the waitlist. Hmmm... sounds fishy. The other schools have no problems giving out numbers. She did tell me the number of spots given off the waitlist have decreased over the past few years. :rolleyes:

AsianDoc816 said:
I'm so happy that I'll be in class with Evo, aprilshyla, and txguy! =)

Oh, it all worked out for the best!

ditto. We all know how much you wanted SA! I bet your bf is excited :thumbup:

My little brother is a freshman at UT, so I get to be close to him! :D

We're going to have a great class :cool:

-tx

Texas A&M c/o 2009!!!!!!!!

I couldn't post last night. There were too many people around and the pages never loaded!

I got in. Yay yay. I'm so happy. :) :) :) :)

This has been a long year. Now I can relax. I'm so happy because today is my birthday and its going to be a great one. :) :)

I want to congratulate everyone who got in. I'm really happy for all of you. :thumbup: :)

For those that didn't get in The only thing I can say is that I've been there and know exactly how you feel. I know everyone has probably told you this and your tired of hearing this but I'll say it again anyway... Don't give up hope and keep on trying because if you really want it then it will happen, trust me. Some of us are more lucky than others and get into our first choice schools or get into med school on their first try. Some others like myself have to try a little harder and it takes a little longer but trust me it can be done.

The last thing I want to say is that I love everyone on this forum. You guys have been my support group throughout the year and gave me hope and I'm really grateful. I'm also really sad because pretty soon this forum will be empty and I will miss all of you.

Anyway that's all I have to say. If anyone is feeling down and needs someone to listen to them or wants to hear my long story of what I had to do to get here today then PM me anytime. :)

UT San Antonio

UT Southwestern

UT Houston
RangerD, RDYBearSA,Ylime, Stitch626, Brain, neoncandle, Valtry, KristenLS, getunconcsious, AJnAK182, jdovez, LanceP97, utlake

UTMB - Galveston

Texas Tech University

Texas A&M University
SFAJess, erlaza,

Anybody know what typical alternate list movement is for UTSW?
(didnt match, out of state)

so can people post what schools have told them about waitlist.

did they tell you where you rank and how many pople on average get off the waitlist.

what did UTMB say, i was so confused and still am, i think i forgot to ask them or i don't remember what they said. yep, i'm that messed up.

but my heartfelt congratuations to the dudes and dudettes that made it.

thehopeful said:
so can people post what schools have told them about waitlist.

did they tell you where you rank and how many pople on average get off the waitlist.

what did UTMB say, i was so confused and still am, i think i forgot to ask them or i don't remember what they said. yep, i'm that messed up.

but my heartfelt congratuations to the dudes and dudettes that made it.

Check your PM's. :)

Sweet Tea said:
I'm braving pre-allo just to say...YAY EVO DEVO!!!!!!!!!!

So incredibly happy for you. You're going to rock. :D :hardy: :D :hardy:
:D :D

Thanks so much. It's been a tough, long road.