Texas A&M Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
which location did you pick ? ... yea I saw that too but I was hoping maybe they reply earlier than that
Kingsville, I went interview Friday and we were like only 14 students, so don’t know how long they take. How many students interview Thursday?

Members don't see this ad.

I really wanted CS because it's close to home , but I chose " i prefer Cs , but willing to go to KV" . Just in case I dont get in CS....

Usually ED gets the first preference but when I did ED, I picked only CS, just because a few other upperclassman told me you usually get your pick in ED, but I had a valid excuse to why I chose CS as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kingsville, I went interview Friday and we were like only 14 students, so don’t know how long they take. How many students interview Thursday?
Honestly not sure. I don’t think it’s specific to how many students interview per day. During my interview I had around 20.

I got accepted two hours ago to Kingsville!!
Congrats !!! Me too I got in CS . On Thursday it was around 50 people for morning and afternoon since there were some regular dec.

Reactions: 1 user
we have to have iPad for school ? Which iPad do you prefer ?
Congratulations first of all! I’m in CS, so Im glad to meet all you new folks! Yeah so we do need an iPad for school. They’ll tell you more about that in Pre-Oreintation in May. Personally it doesn’t matter. We were told to get the bigger screen and everything but I have a lot of classmates who have the normal size iPad, I believe it’s the IPad Air which is WAYYY cheaper, and they’re doing just fine. Having a bigger screen is a little nicer on the tests, but honestly if I could go back, id get the iPad Air since it’s cheaper. Make sure to get an Apple Pencil because you will definitely need it unless you only type your notes, and you’ll definitely need a keyboard for the iPad. Get the Logitech one and not the Apple ones. Hope that answered your question. If not I’m always here!

Congratulations first of all! I’m in CS, so Im glad to meet all you new folks! Yeah so we do need an iPad for school. They’ll tell you more about that in Pre-Oreintation in May. Personally it doesn’t matter. We were told to get the bigger screen and everything but I have a lot of classmates who have the normal size iPad, I believe it’s the IPad Air which is WAYYY cheaper, and they’re doing just fine. Having a bigger screen is a little nicer on the tests, but honestly if I could go back, id get the iPad Air since it’s cheaper. Make sure to get an Apple Pencil because you will definitely need it unless you only type your notes, and you’ll definitely need a keyboard for the iPad. Get the Logitech one and not the Apple ones. Hope that answered your question. If not I’m always here!
you answered the question ! , thank you so much for the tip

what is a good storage capacity do you prefer ? like will 64 gb enough ?

I personally have the 64 GB, it’s mid semester and I have a TON of notes on my iPad so i thoughts it’s probably full but I still have 50 GB, left so that should kind of give you an idea of how much space you’ll use. They give you like 2TB of cloud storage so that’s a lot! After the year ends, you can delete all your notes because it’s all stored in the cloud. So me personally I’d say get the 64 GB. Haha I’m just trying to save you guys as much money as possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will probably be there for Pre-Oreintation and will definitely bring my IPad, just so you guys can see everything and how everything works!

I will probably be there for Pre-Oreintation and will definitely bring my IPad, just so you guys can see everything and how everything works!
Thank you so much !!!! but how gives us 2tb storage - school or apple ?

Thank you so much !!!! but how gives us 2tb storage - school or apple ?
You have Google Drive Storage and I believe Dropbox, we all use notability here and it has this feature that is constantly uploading your notes automatically to Google Drive so you never have to worry about them!

You have Google Drive Storage and I believe Dropbox, we all use notability here and it has this feature that is constantly uploading your notes automatically to Google Drive so you never have to worry about them!
when will an official facebook page be made for class of 2024???

when will an official facebook page be made for class of 2024???
That I’m not too sure of, I’m pretty sure it won’t be till later on when RD starts. For right now, just worry about enjoying life and undergrad. Because trust me you’ll miss it once you start. Don’t worry about all the extra stuff! You made it in! That’s the biggest accomplishment!

That I’m not too sure of, I’m pretty sure it won’t be till later on when RD starts. For right now, just worry about enjoying life and undergrad. Because trust me you’ll miss it once you start. Don’t worry about all the extra stuff! You made it in! That’s the biggest accomplishment!
Do I have to get the meningitis vaccine? Its on the castle branch list.

Do I have to get the meningitis vaccine? Its on the castle branch list.
yes you have too , if you are under 22 .... I had mine during 2015 and had to take it right now since need to updated every 4-5 years I think

Hey guys I have an interview at 11/14 and will be driving from Austin. Since the interview is at 8:15am, I will be driving down the day before and was wondering where I should stay for the night? Is there a recommendation? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys I have an interview at 11/14 and will be driving from Austin. Since the interview is at 8:15am, I will be driving down the day before and was wondering where I should stay for the night? Is there a recommendation? Thanks in advance!
There’s a quality inn not too far. Pretty nice. That’s where I stayed for the interview

Holiday inn is good

Got my invite for November 14th! Since it seems like Kingsville is a small place, does anyone want to meet up the night before to relax and calm our nerves?

Got my invite for November 14th! Since it seems like Kingsville is a small place, does anyone want to meet up the night before to relax and calm our nerves?
here is some tips that you can do before the interview :
1- get a very good night sleep since the process last about 4 hours
2- Eat good breakfast
3- Holiday in where I stayed and its about few mins from the university and close to lots of fastfood restaurant
4- review your personal statement - since you wrote it

Just wanted to let people who interviewed on November 14th know that I received their decision on my application this morning through email. Hopefully you all get yours shortly as well; the wait is probably the worst part!

Is it a good idea to start the summer before in the ASPIRE program?
so it just depends on you. I have some classmates who enjoyed. It kind of gives you a feel for the rigorous classes but obviously since you haven’t started school yet they won’t go into much detail with the material. Me personally if I were you, I would enjoy my summer and try to relax and travel or do what you might please because trust me, once the school year starts, you won’t have time for a lot of things. If you really want to see what drop of pharmacy school looks like, I would say do the aspire program, there’s no harm in it.

so it just depends on you. I have some classmates who enjoyed. It kind of gives you a feel for the rigorous classes but obviously since you haven’t started school yet they won’t go into much detail with the material. Me personally if I were you, I would enjoy my summer and try to relax and travel or do what you might please because trust me, once the school year starts, you won’t have time for a lot of things. If you really want to see what drop of pharmacy school looks like, I would say do the aspire program, there’s no harm in it.
Ok. Thanks you answered my question.

Has anyone from the 11/14 interview gotten their response yet? Dr Bustamante wanted this semester's grades before finalizing the evaluation so I haven't gotten mine. I'm worried the seats are getting filled up by the time I get the transcript.

Has anyone from the 11/14 interview gotten their response yet? Dr Bustamante wanted this semester's grades before finalizing the evaluation so I haven't gotten mine. I'm worried the seats are getting filled up by the time I get the transcript.

I got mine the Tuesday after I interviewed there. If you haven't heard back from them yet, I would give them a call because at the interview, they said we'd hear back within a week. That being said, they still have 6 interview dates in the Spring, so I double they'll run out of seats before they get back to you!

They won’t run out of seats haha. I had my interview in Feb 1 during the Spring and heard back March 1st so they have spots. Don’t stress too much about it.

They won’t run out of seats haha. I had my interview in Feb 1 during the Spring and heard back March 1st so they have spots. Don’t stress too much about it.
Question - do you think I should have a computer and iPad Pro ( for just test and notes )
Or can I have iPad Pro for notes and tests - I don’t want to waste money for having to devices !!

Question - do you think I should have a computer and iPad Pro ( for just test and notes )
Or can I have iPad Pro for notes and tests - I don’t want to waste money for having to devices !!
Honestly you’ll be using the iPad the most. You need the iPad for exams regardless. Having a computer is an accessory which some need and some don’t. Me personally I have my laptop and iPad Pro. I watch the lecture on my laptop and use my iPad for taking notes. You’ll be using the iPad 90% of the times. In lecture you’ll be using your iPad to go through the powerpoints while the professor is lecturing and drop down notes. You’ll also need a keyboard for the iPad especially during exams. But I would say before you buy anything, hold off till pre oreintation, where they will go into more detail with what device you need etc. A few upperclassman will also be there with their iPads just so you guys can have an idea of what we currently use. I hope this answered your question. If not just ask me what part you need me to clarify!

Question: Why do you guys want to go to pharmacy school. Have you looked into what it's like I'm the profession? Have you done any research into what the job is like?

Question: Why do you guys want to go to pharmacy school. Have you looked into what it's like I'm the profession? Have you done any research into what the job is like?
Pharmacy is a broad field. It’s not only your traditional retail pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS. There’s many paths to go into with pharmacy such as federal, clinical, ambulatory care etc.

Pharmacy is a broad field. It’s not only your traditional retail pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS. There’s many paths to go into with pharmacy such as federal, clinical, ambulatory care etc.

True, and have you also looked into the job prospects in those fields?

True, and have you also looked into the job prospects in those fields?
Yes I have. If you have some questions regarding those areas. I would be more then happy to answer them to the best of my abilities

Yes I have. If you have some questions regarding those areas. I would be more then happy to answer them to the best of my abilities
Yes, what is the job growth in those specific areas you mentioned for the next 10 years? How does that compare to the rate of both pharmacist graduating and those seeking licensure from other states and from other countries?

I'm going to post this story here for those of you still thinking about joining pharmacy school and becoming a pharmacist. This is not uncommon, this is the reality of this profession, it's what the schools won't tell you and it's what the people in the field are going through. Pharmacist have one of the highest suicide rates in the country. Corporate greed rules the profession. Apply elsewhere now before you're in debt and suffering like this person is.

"I’m completely miserable

I don’t know what else to say. I think I need a place to vent. I feel like pharmacy is completely ruining my life and I feel trapped because I have enormous debt and no other degree besides my PharmD.

I’m a 2019 grad and I landed a floating job with a chain. I floated for 4 months and was pretty damn good at it and landed a staff pharmacist job in October at a store in a very rural and poverty stricken city in my state. I ended up accepting it, and moved away from my family because finding a staff pharmacist job is hard enough as a new grad. Things were going really well for me in the beginning of my pharmacy career.

That was until my partner pharmacist went on maternity leave only 2 weeks after I started staffing.

To my surprise, I was forced to become pharmacy manager for the time being. I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing beyond filling scripts and ensuring the pharmacy is meeting basic legal requirements (as my pharmacist training was only . I’m trying my absolute best and I feel it’s not good enough. Right now it’s me, and 3 floaters (also new grads) rotating in and out here. It’s a complete disaster. Everything is falling behind because of lack of consistency and I know I’ll eventually be the one who is held responsible for the store falling apart and I’ll be the one who is fired.

To make things worse, I had a pharmacy tech quit via text message sent on Christmas. We’ve been short staffed and falling behind even worse. And I was get absolutely no tech help on weekends and on these days I get get yelled at by customers for not having their things ready with no one to back me up. I try my best to stay positive to tell them I only have two hands and that I’m doing the best that I can, and then one of them complained to corporate about how rude I was, to which I get emails about and have to respond to and say why this is happening.

And I’ve tried to hire new techs, but my three preferred choices have rejected the job offer due to the low pay, and then my less preferred candidates won’t show up for the required drug screen and I had one fail it. So we’re perpetually going to be understaffed.

I feel like things are spiraling out of control at work and my mental health is the same. I am getting severe anxiety about it on my days off. They aren’t even relaxing anymore and I’m so mentally exhausted that I can’t do my hobbies and spend all day in bed recovering. And now sometimes I have nightmares about work making the exhaustion even worse.

My partner pharmacist comes back in 10 days and honestly I don’t know if I can make it until then. I’m on the verge of a complete mental breakdown. I feel the need to quit for my own mental health."

That is a one sad story and sounds like a lesson to be learned rather than a reason to get discouraged. You should try and not set yourself for failure like the person in this story being a rookie floater managing a pharmacy with no previous experience and the pharmacist in charge in maternity leave. I understand the job may be overwhelming as a rookie especially when you are responsible for people's health. This story doesn't say what state it happened but at least in Texas there are plenty of positions available. There's many different kinds of pharmacist titles if you do some research, for example to name a few, you can easily stop at your local pharmacy and talk to one. But, there are others that work for hospitals either as staff or clinical, many are now remote pharmacists working from home verifying orders but to land a job like this you require at least 2 years of experience in a hospital setting. If you want to take it to the next level, then you can look into a position at a nuclear pharmacy. Others chose the laidback route and look for a mailorder pharmacy where you work in closed doors to the public and fill orders that come to you through a computer.
I have worked for hospital, chain and independent pharmacies and for all I can see the quality of life may be a little different. In retail chains you will see the younger pharmacist because you work at a faster pace and the pay is significantly more, at times up to 20 dlls/hr compared to hospital. You will also work plenty of overtime in retail but still, if you don't like it, then change to a different setting. If you land a job at a hospital, most likely you will stay there for a long time since its more relaxed and you will have at least one or two other pharmacist with you at all times in case you need backup. The upside to the profession is that after your shift, you can be you. Unlike doctors where if you are a doctor, you will always be a doctor, in other words, you don't take your job home. I was recently talking to a regional director for a retail chain in the RGV and mentioned to me that many of the baby boomer generations are now retiring and spaces will be available in the coming years. Just something to look into.

That is a one sad story and sounds like a lesson to be learned rather than a reason to get discouraged. You should try and not set yourself for failure like the person in this story being a rookie floater managing a pharmacy with no previous experience and the pharmacist in charge in maternity leave. I understand the job may be overwhelming as a rookie especially when you are responsible for people's health. This story doesn't say what state it happened but at least in Texas there are plenty of positions available. There's many different kinds of pharmacist titles if you do some research, for example to name a few, you can easily stop at your local pharmacy and talk to one. But, there are others that work for hospitals either as staff or clinical, many are now remote pharmacists working from home verifying orders but to land a job like this you require at least 2 years of experience in a hospital setting. If you want to take it to the next level, then you can look into a position at a nuclear pharmacy. Others chose the laidback route and look for a mailorder pharmacy where you work in closed doors to the public and fill orders that come to you through a computer.
I have worked for hospital, chain and independent pharmacies and for all I can see the quality of life may be a little different. In retail chains you will see the younger pharmacist because you work at a faster pace and the pay is significantly more, at times up to 20 dlls/hr compared to hospital. You will also work plenty of overtime in retail but still, if you don't like it, then change to a different setting. If you land a job at a hospital, most likely you will stay there for a long time since its more relaxed and you will have at least one or two other pharmacist with you at all times in case you need backup. The upside to the profession is that after your shift, you can be you. Unlike doctors where if you are a doctor, you will always be a doctor, in other words, you don't take your job home. I was recently talking to a regional director for a retail chain in the RGV and mentioned to me that many of the baby boomer generations are now retiring and spaces will be available in the coming years. Just something to look into.
If there are SOOO many other job opportunities then why hasn't this person moved to those jobs? Do you think this person or anyone for that matter is a true masochist? Why would someone go through years of school and choose to work under these conditions? Could it possibly be because the market is saturated and there are no other jobs available? Show me the "plenty of positions available in Texas" because pharmacists who got laid of 2 years ago in Texas are still looking for jobs TODAY, they may want to give you a call since you seem to know better than unemployed pharmacist with years of experience. The baby boomers are retiring story has been told for over a decade, unfortunately hundreds of students graduate each year. Count how many schools are in Texas alone with more campuses opening each year. That's close to 100 students per campus, not to mention pharmacist coming form other states because they can't find jobs in their home states.

I'm sorry if I'm being cruel but I am trying to save you from a mountain of debt, 4 years of your life, and a career that has been crushed by greedy corporations looking to make a quick buck. And all of this is even if you can find a job at all. I recommend anyone who is considering pharmacy school to look at r/pharmacy on Reddit and read what the real pharmacists are going through. This story is just one of hundreds of similar stories.

Can someone please reply with the name of the Anatomy and Physiology book that is used for P1?

Can someone please reply with the name of the Anatomy and Physiology book that is used for P1?
Honestly you probably won’t use it at all. A lot of people have the PDF version so I wouldn’t spend money on it. I would wait till you start.

Howdy! Had my interview via zoom due to covid19 last week on 3/26. Any idea when they’ll send out acceptances?