Test Taking Strategies-still scoring below average on Qbanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dannyboy676

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any good test takers can help share their secrets on scoring well on boards.
I'd assume I'd get the hang of it by now after the SAT, MCAT, Step 1, but I haven't.
Recently I've noticed that I pick the second most commonly answer when I get a qbank q wrong.

When I exited step 1, I told myself walking out that there was nothing else that I could've studied, no other resource I could've used to do better, but I ended up with a pretty abysmal score although I did thankfully pass.

My step II is Three months and three weeks away and I'd like to improve my scores (by a lot) but my percentages on the QB are still average, below average.

This seems like an insurmountable battle at this point.
Thank You fellow sdners!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the people that do well on step 1 and step 2 also score well on the qbank and practice test. Maybe 1 in a million would score below average on Uworld and somehow end up with 250 on step. I don't think this is a test taking strategy issue. If that is the case, you would've done well in Step 1 and Step 2 qbanks and practice tests. Your below average step 2 qbank percentiles indicates that it's a knowledge-base issue. Don't be afraid though, you got almost 4 months left and this can be corrected. You should read every explanation thoroughly to see why you're always picking the trap answer, and you should see which sections you're missing the most and read FA and MTB for those sections. You need to bring your Uworld percentages above average and get your knowledge base higher before worrying about test taking strategies.

Download the flashcard programm anki and make flashcards for everything you don't know. Go through 30-50 new and 100 reviewed Flashcards daily. As the other user said. Your problem is knowledge based.

PS: make the flashcard answers short. If the answer is too long you will take longer to go through the flashcards. Rather make 2 cards instead of one that tests 5 things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever you like and that helps you memorize all the information from uworld. Finish uworld quickly and do all cms and another qbank. Come back to uworld at the end of your studies and do UWSA1,2 and all nbmes.

And: don't fool yourself by thinking test-taking strategy is the problem.

Thank you guys for your help. I will work on expanding my knowledge base a lot in the next three months. Currently working on USMLE-RX, realizing I pick the second most commonly answer mostly when I'm wrong. I fall for the tricks easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I be doing random or by subject in UW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your knowledge base is really weak, I'd highly recommend doing it by subject. Read a specific section in a review book (or do videos), and then answer questions on what you just learned. It reinforces the material you just went over, exposes areas that you still need to work on, and fills in any gaps. More importantly, youll have a solid foundation of knowledge on which to answer the questions, and a framework for understanding the explanations in Uworld.

Without a good foundation, I dont think Uworld would be too helpful. It would just be trying to memorize a bunch of random unrelated facts

Reactions: 1 user
I always fall for the traps, that's my problem!
I'm not integrating all the clinical info in the vignette, falling for buzzwords extremely fast, changing my gut decision.

My anxiety is definitely playing a big role

I read every page of step up to med for cardio, endocrine but still got the cardio/endo q's wrong on this random test I did today.

I always fall for the traps, that's my problem!
I'm not integrating all the clinical info in the vignette, falling for buzzwords extremely fast, changing my gut decision.

My anxiety is definitely playing a big role

I read every page of step up to med for cardio, endocrine but still got the cardio/endo q's wrong on this random test I did today.

How many questions have you done? Based on your statement, seems like you need to do more questions rather reading more. Sounds like lack of foundational knowledge isn't your issue.

You'll get there, just keep practicing!

How many questions have you done? Based on your statement, seems like you need to do more questions rather reading more. Sounds like lack of foundational knowledge isn't your issue.

You'll get there, just keep practicing!

I don't have an exact count because I did a lot of old uworld q's offline

I think it's about 15-2000 now. But really, I had the same problem with step 1 which was such an emotional rectal exam for me.

I have horrible mojo