Terrible Practice Exam CARS score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My MCAT is scheduled for the 22nd. Last week I took the official practice exam #1 by the AAMC, and received a 126/122/128/130. I was truly disappointed and frustrated with my CARS score. I was doing SO well on the questions packs from the AAMC, but the CARS section on this exam was SO HARD.

I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to go in and take the exam, get a REALLY bad CARS score, and be screened out of every school I apply to. On the other hand, I'm afraid that if I push my exam back to August 5th, my application is going to be super late. Please help! Is it better to apply late with a better score or apply earlier with a worse score?

I'm applying to both DO and MD

cGPA 3.71
sGPa ~ 3.6

Applying next cycle is not an option for me. I'm already taking a year off. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should judge your entire CARS score by one practice test. Do more practice exams before freaking out.

Hi,

My MCAT is scheduled for the 22nd. Last week I took the official practice exam #1 by the AAMC, and received a 126/122/128/130. I was truly disappointed and frustrated with my CARS score. I was doing SO well on the questions packs from the AAMC, but the CARS section on this exam was SO HARD.

I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to go in and take the exam, get a REALLY bad CARS score, and be screened out of every school I apply to. On the other hand, I'm afraid that if I push my exam back to August 5th, my application is going to be super late. Please help! Is it better to apply late with a better score or apply earlier with a worse score?

I'm applying to both DO and MD

cGPA 3.71
sGPa ~ 3.6

Applying next cycle is not an option for me. I'm already taking a year off. Thanks.
I, too, got a 122 in cars on the aamc test today. Did you decide what to do yet? I don't remember the last time I scored below a 125 on cars.

I, too, got a 122 in cars on the aamc test today. Did you decide what to do yet? I don't remember the last time I scored below a 125 on cars.

Honestly, I really wasn't getting any advice regarding my situation...so I decided to push it back. Looks like we're in the same boat here :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I really wasn't getting any advice regarding my situation...so I decided to push it back. Looks like we're in the same boat here :/
I don't think I can push mine back :( I took the MCAT last september and already used up a now show as an attempt and I think that's 3 attempts in 1 year :'(

I don't think I can push mine back :( I took the MCAT last september and already used up a now show as an attempt and I think that's 3 attempts in 1 year :'(

Wow, actually, so did I. This will be my second attempt. Were the rest of your AAMC section scores okay?

If you've been doing fairly well on previous cars sections, it might be worth taking anyways. Maybe the scored cars was particularly difficult for you for some reason? I find that once I encounter a difficult passage, it sets me up for frustration during the entire section and I can no longer think straight and end up doing poorly overall. If you think this score was a fluke, your other sections look fairly decent and maybe giving the actual mcat a go isn't a terrible idea

Wow, actually, so did I. This will be my second attempt. Were the rest of your AAMC section scores okay?
I think my aamc unsored was about a 74.5% but that was taken over a month ago and I've studied a lot more since then. Bio qpacks were done pretty recently with 77% on bio pack 1 and 81% on bio pack 2. Cars q packs were 70% and 73%.

If you've been doing fairly well on previous cars sections, it might be worth taking anyways. Maybe the scored cars was particularly difficult for you for some reason? I find that once I encounter a difficult passage, it sets me up for frustration during the entire section and I can no longer think straight and end up doing poorly overall. If you think this score was a fluke, your other sections look fairly decent and maybe giving the actual mcat a go isn't a terrible idea

I was doing really well on the AAMC question packs for CARS. Those were pretty easy for me. This practice exam had questions and passages that were so much harder...