TENNIS (this means no anna discussions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
allergic2morons said:
:thumbup: but i think she should be more civil when it comes to celebrating :p

FEDRER IS GR8 what else can i say?

federer sucks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

shardul said:
federer sucks!!!!

YOU suck. jk.
Federer is so awesome! Back-up your statements with proof man. :p

saffronrain said:
YOU suck. jk.
Federer is so awesome! Back-up your statements with proof man. :p
you said you liked roddick. and then you were "cheering" for Federer to win. Okay why do sooo many people just cheer for winning players. If you like someone then cheer for them through their rough times and good times.
Federer is arguably the most talented player to come along in over a decade. Natural athlete with highly sophisticated skills and all-court abilities. He has touch, power, placement and precision. Despite all this, he lacks the cockiness and arrogance of certain other top-level players. He will never be mcenroe which Roddick does have some of. Roddick is very young 21-22 if i'm not mistaken and still hasn't reached his full potential. Only thing that I feel that federer lacks his is mental toughness. Prolly the only thing that can take him out is his bad back.

Members don't see this ad :)
data said:
you said you liked roddick. and then you were "cheering" for Federer to win. Okay why do sooo many people just cheer for winning players. If you like someone then cheer for them through their rough times and good times.
Federer is arguably the most talented player to come along in over a decade. Natural athlete with highly sophisticated skills and all-court abilities. He has touch, power, placement and precision. Despite all this, he lacks the cockiness and arrogance of certain other top-level players. He will never be mcenroe which Roddick does have some of. Roddick is very young 21-22 if i'm not mistaken and still hasn't reached his full potential. Only thing that I feel that federer lacks his is mental toughness. Prolly the only thing that can take him out is his bad back.

i like BOTH of them. they're my two favorite male tennis players. i don't like henman or agassi, even though they're both good as well. i think federer has gotten mentally tough over the past couple of years.. it definitely seems like it, at least.

saffronrain said:
i like BOTH of them. they're my two favorite male tennis players. i don't like henman or agassi, even though they're both good as well. i think federer has gotten mentally tough over the past couple of years.. it definitely seems like it, at least.
Henman can't play tennis. Agassi is the ironman. The guy is so old and can still play with the best. I love his character. And my style of play is similar to his. I never liked Sampras due to his boring serve volley games. I agree that Federer is prolly one of the best. While Mcenroe stated that he is arguably the most talented person to pick up a tennis racquet. Reason why I like Roddick is plainly cause he is the only on on the court who resembles Mcenroe. Mcenroe brought this so called gentlemans game to the norm. Its kinda like that adam sandler movie when he plays golf. :laugh:

data said:
Henman can't play tennis. Agassi is the ironman. The guy is so old and can still play with the best. I love his character. And my style of play is similar to his. I never liked Sampras due to his boring serve volley games. I agree that Federer is prolly one of the best. While Mcenroe stated that he is arguably the most talented person to pick up a tennis racquet. Reason why I like Roddick is plainly cause he is the only on on the court who resembles Mcenroe. Mcenroe brought this so called gentlemans game to the norm. Its kinda like that adam sandler movie when he plays golf. :laugh:

I hate Mcenroe. But that is just an opinion.

saffronrain said:
I hate Mcenroe. But that is just an opinion.
You have hatred for a lot of things....you have to start MEDITATING SOON. I think you will be one of those millions of husband beaters. :p

data said:
You have hatred for a lot of things....you have to start MEDITATING SOON. I think you will be one of those millions of husband beaters. :p
purchase roger federer latest racquet from wilson
WN61T.JPG

what is the reason for those lyrics in your signature? serve volley game is the classical way tennis is meant to be played, not hard hitting from the baseline like most of todays players. it was fortunate that sampras was able to have such a traditional game and still be successful. federer has shown some elements of skill in serving and volleying and is more elegant of a player than the rest of the tour, but still he mostly stays on the baseline.

Shredder said:
purchase roger federer latest racquet from wilson
WN61T.JPG

what is the reason for those lyrics in your signature? serve volley game is the classical way tennis is meant to be played, not hard hitting from the baseline like most of todays players. it was fortunate that sampras was able to have such a traditional game and still be successful. federer has shown some elements of skill in serving and volleying and is more elegant of a player than the rest of the tour, but still he mostly stays on the baseline.
The lyrics are of my fav song. Ghetto superstar. The serve and volley is a dumb way to play. It was easy to see sampras dominate with his power serve you really couldn't give a proper return.

data said:
The lyrics are of my fav song. Ghetto superstar. The serve and volley is a dumb way to play. It was easy to see sampras dominate with his power serve you really couldn't give a proper return.
not true--sampras, like federer, relied mostly on placement and variety with the serve, rarely serving over 130 mph. this is unlike roddick who serves routinely over 140 but still offers fewer aces, and cannot serve and volley. sampras average serve was probably not even 120 mph, while roddick with his long and powerful racquet, and untraditional way of playing is able to generate more speed on the serve. the serve and volleyer must have a decent serve, or he will lose every point

Shredder said:
not true--sampras, like federer, relied mostly on placement and variety with the serve, rarely serving over 130 mph. this is unlike roddick who serves routinely over 140 but still offers fewer aces, and cannot serve and volley. sampras average serve was probably not even 120 mph, while roddick with his long and powerful racquet, and untraditional way of playing is able to generate more speed on the serve. the serve and volleyer must have a decent serve, or he will lose every point
what are you disagreeing with? that sampras has a powerful serve? I already mentioned that federer has great placement of the ball. Roddick's way of playing is what makes tennis fun to watch. well his style of tennis. To me serve and volley is like playing trap in other sports, nba, nhl..etc. IT is boring period! It should be illegal. Watching Venus and davenport rally 25times back and forth was just one of the greatest things you can ever see in tennis. Other than seeing Andy roddick dive across the court like a volleyball player to slice it to victory. Bottom line is that rallying is what makes tennis exciting. Serving is good to see once in a while.

data said:
what are you disagreeing with? that sampras has a powerful serve? I already mentioned that federer has great placement of the ball. Roddick's way of playing is what makes tennis fun to watch. well his style of tennis. To me serve and volley is like playing trap in other sports, nba, nhl..etc. IT is boring period! It should be illegal. Watching Venus and davenport rally 25times back and forth was just one of the greatest things you can ever see in tennis. Other than seeing Andy roddick dive across the court like a volleyball player to slice it to victory. Bottom line is that rallying is what makes tennis exciting. Serving is good to see once in a while.
hmm ok, well somehow i find the serve and volley more fun to watch, maybe because it has become such a rarity these days. but it may be that i only like it by virtue of that fact, so im unsure. i find that the rallies get tedious after a while and that points should be finished off relatively quickly. trap in basketball is a very effective method of playing and produces good results. tried and true you could say. i think roddicks style is not true to the game as it was originally played. yes i suppose i disagree that sampras had a power serve relative to the serves that are seen on tour these days, especially guys like roddick. the power of sampras serve was not its primary asset. it takes finesse and elegance to have a superb serve and volley game, whereas with power serving and power rallying that element of the game is mostly gone. and tennis was never meant to be a power game, which is why it is good to see federer at the top, who does not rely on outmuscling or outhustling opponents, simply he has talent and good sense of the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
allergic2morons said:
????????????????

Fedrer is perhaps as good, as brilliant as impregnable as Sampras. But yawn yawn yawn yawn , even more boring. He might be the king of tennis world, master of all surveys but he was beaten by the far more exhilarating Nadal in Paris (friend there is no pointing in converting me, i am almost fanatic about Nadal) :cool:

But Fedrer, for all the winning smiles and glowing tints tat Byron would admire is even gloomier than Sampras. I think problem with him is that he's just too good. :(

Find that bizarre sophistry? Hear me out.. When Fedrer hits a great winner, he doesnt punch in air, he doesnt gloat over his precision, because to him its just a normal shot. It'slike "If u give me ball there, where else can I hit it? He finds nothig stunning about it. and on with business. :rolleyes:

When he played roddick last years finals he lost first set playing from baseline. Very reluctantly , because he dont like it too much, he started charging the net. And, then it was all over for roddick,
Fedrer was like" Oh man do i really have to do that much work? yeah i guess i do. well, here goes" that was all it took for him to win that final against a player who threw the kitchen sink at him. :mad:

Such a mastery is insane. But in fedrer there is no insanity. such mastery is flamboyant but in fedrer there is nothing flashy. he doesnt even have enigma and intensity that sampras brought to the table. he is nice guy who keep smiling talk openly but never makes news off the court. :sleep:

I salute roger fedrer like i admire sampras. i just wish they were both different. I really feel sorry for roddick

Find that bizarre sophistry? Hear me out.. When Fedrer hits a great winner, he doesnt punch in air, he doesnt gloat over his precision, because to him its just a normal shot

on the basis of this ...where do place hewitt ?
he has got the loudest mouth on courrt ..i like that .if u want to see the classis match ..watch the 2004 davis cup match between federer & hewitt ...hewitt cam back from two sets down & 3-5 in the third set .....plus there was aot of hewitt-ness in that match .

nokia said:
he has got the loudest mouth on courrt ..i like that .if u want to see the classis match ..watch the 2004 davis cup match between federer & hewitt ...hewitt cam back from two sets down & 3-5 in the third set .....plus there was aot of hewitt-ness in that match .
isn't hewitt 0-22 when he is down 2 games to nothing?

shardul said:
I salute roger fedrer like i admire sampras. i just wish they were both different. I really feel sorry for roddick
but in the end, what matters more about sports, entertainment or excellence. i think excellence since that is the essence of sports, with entertainment hopefully to follow. there is no feeling sorry for opponents and losers, they must find ways to overcome their losing. arnold schwarzenegger dominated the bodybuilding scene in the 70s because he was excellent, and people loved him for it, now he is wildly successful. if federer does not have the charisma then that is another story independent from his talent.

Shredder said:
but in the end, what matters more about sports, entertainment or excellence. i think excellence since that is the essence of sports, with entertainment hopefully to follow. there is no feeling sorry for opponents and losers, they must find ways to overcome their losing. arnold schwarzenegger dominated the bodybuilding scene in the 70s because he was excellent, and people loved him for it, now he is wildly successful. if federer does not have the charisma then that is another story independent from his talent.

i agree with everything except federer DOES have charisma.

isn't hewitt 0-22 when he is down 2 games to nothing?

i think he is one of the best in those kinds of matches...

nokia said:

Ranking shows Hewitt is second best player in the world that says it all.... I just love the way Aussie attitude towards the sport be cricket tennis or hockey they play their best and bring all the passion to the game..... thats what i love. Just couple of days ago there were talks of sledging between giullermo correa and hewitt in newspaper ... i surely would have loved to see that game.. ;)

Shredder said:
Well, for me game is all about entertainment and enjoyment is should be the top most prioruty. Talking about excellence nobody would be interested in how many aces u fired but one would surely cheer if that ace has saved a match for someone. Excellence is something esoteric which would only thrill only purist.

Having said all that i would like to ask u a question. dont u ever get bored of same person winning all the time? And wouldnt u cheer someone who is trying to overrule the reigning champ.

Ranking shows Hewitt is second best player in the world that says it all.... I just love the way Aussie attitude towards the sport be cricket tennis or hockey they play their best and bring all the passion to the game..... thats what i love. Just couple of days ago there were talks of sledging between giullermo correa and hewitt in newspaper ... i surely would have loved to see that game..

i think it`s in the air in australia .....those guys r brought up that way ....play hard..party harder !

Having said all that i would like to ask u a question. dont u ever get bored of same person winning all the time? And wouldnt u cheer someone who is trying to overrule the reigning champ.

i tend to switch sides very often ..especially in tennis !
i remember the game between roddick & federer, the final , & i wanted to see the brilliance of federer & those booming aces of roddick . well ..as the match progressed , my desire for roddick to win got stronger ....i was just saying .".man don`t give up ..com`on ....relax ur mind ...stay focussed ."...it was like i was playing there . But as the time passed & we got into the third round ..we had witnessed the unstopable federer ....& in those moments ...i was thinking ....".it`s not that bad losing to this guy ....he is playing brilliant ...i have tried my all ....given my best ..so no regrets " ...& i think the scor ereflected the same feelings in roddick`s mind . But he did`t look disappointed losing to him ...rather he was disappointed losing the wimbeldon title ....

shardul said:
dont u ever get bored of same person winning all the time? And wouldnt u cheer someone who is trying to overrule the reigning champ.
yes, it does tend to get boring. i usually root for safin in every major. in the most recent tourney i wouldve liked to see johansson win ha. but i want to see the best tennis, and if federer produces that then so be it. only i want to see someone beat him if they are capable of producing higher quality tennis in that match, not if federer plays sloppy and thus loses. for example when krajicek beat sampras, that was solid.

Shredder said:
yes, it does tend to get boring. i usually root for safin in every major. in the most recent tourney i wouldve liked to see johansson win ha. but i want to see the best tennis, and if federer produces that then so be it. only i want to see someone beat him if they are capable of producing higher quality tennis in that match, not if federer plays sloppy and thus loses. for example when krajicek beat sampras, that was solid.

totally off topic, but your avatar intimidates me.
everytime i see it on the forums, i get nervous. :scared: :D
mr. trump is an intimidating man.