Temple Vs Kent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fighiter14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently have decided between temple and kent but cant make my mind up. Can you tell me why you picked your school? I'm leaning towards kent because the classes are spread out longer but the class size is worrisome. Temple is pulling because of their clinic and the availability of patients i just don't believe i will get to see at kent even though admissions said they normally see 5 patients a day in the cleveland clinic. Also another thing that is pulling me towards kent is cost of living will be cheaper. Can anybody comment on the cost of living in philly after you move out the dorms the first year ? Which will be cheaper in the long run? Wish there was a ranking for podiatry schools.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I factored in while choosing TUSPM was living expenses may be a little bit more, but at KSU I'd need to have a car which more than offsets that.

One thing I factored in while choosing TUSPM was living expenses may be a little bit more, but at KSU I'd need to have a car which more than offsets that.

Yeah, third year at Kent requires A LOT of driving. Sometimes an hour each way to various clinics and hospitals. Not to mention the pounding your car takes during the winter here along with the absolute third-world conditions of the roads. I'd say that factor offsets the cost of living.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I just have a really hard time believing that Philadelphia can be cheaper than Ohio.

TUSPM's on-campus housing right in Center City, and close to a lot of the other med schools/hospitals, is under $5000 a semester for a large room in a 2BR/1BA with a living room and kitchen (even cheaper for the standard room.) This includes electric, heat, water utilities, and cable TV. Doubt you can get much cheaper than that in Cleveland to offset the $1000s for everything that comes alongside a car.

$5000 a semester is then ..$10K for 2 semesters - most schools seem to have 1-2 months off during 1st year - so do you move out for those 2 months or do they charge you? If its $10K for the whole year its $833 a month. There were people who lived across the street from DMU for $350-400 if they shared a 2 bedroom. I don't know what Cleveland cost, but I bet somewhere there's an $800 a month 2 bedroom apartment that 2 friends could share. I wonder how much you think it costs to own a car? My car insurance for an entire year is $400. My car takes me to places besides school.

Kent isn't even technically in Cleveland. It's in Independence. Most students live in Parma because Independence has a city ordinance that doesn't allow apartments. I got nice a 2 bedroom townhome (pretty big one too) in Parma for $800. It's not expensive at all considering I will have 1 roommate

I paid $200 a month rent and around $70 a month for utilities including internet to share a house with other podiatry students. I think a car is necessary especially when you start clinical rotations and certainly externships.

Kent isn't even technically in Cleveland. It's in Independence. Most students live in Parma because Independence has a city ordinance that doesn't allow apartments. I got nice a 2 bedroom townhome (pretty big one too) in Parma for $800. It's not expensive at all considering I will have 1 roommate
Hey I was wondering how did you go about finding a roommate and what building is this in Parma? I'm going into first year, and trying to figure things out!

Hey I was wondering how did you go about finding a roommate and what building is this in Parma? I'm going into first year, and trying to figure things out!
I'm living with my girlfriend so it wasn't too hard for me to find a roommate. And to find housing all I did was look through the recommended housing options they provided for us. Also apartments.com. Pretty much all of the buildings in Parma are good

$5000 a semester is then ..$10K for 2 semesters - most schools seem to have 1-2 months off during 1st year - so do you move out for those 2 months or do they charge you? If its $10K for the whole year its $833 a month. There were people who lived across the street from DMU for $350-400 if they shared a 2 bedroom. I don't know what Cleveland cost, but I bet somewhere there's an $800 a month 2 bedroom apartment that 2 friends could share. I wonder how much you think it costs to own a car? My car insurance for an entire year is $400. My car takes me to places besides school.

Des Moines is obviously going to be way cheaper than places like Philly and Independence/Cleveland/surrounding areas. You're lucky, my car+insurance is a lot higher than that. Being in Center City, I don't really need a car with everything being within a few blocks of school (clinicals, food, etc.) For example, @Sweatshirt is paying $800 in Parma, and if I had to bring my car to Kent, my cost of living would be insanely higher all things considered because of car payments, maintenance, gas, etc., where as in Philadelphia I can walk or take public transportation/ride services if needed. Everyone's situation is different, but rent is just the surface of cost of living.