Tell me about Chicago MedPeds programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnywalker

pepper needs new shorts
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like Chicago. Thinkin about going to Chicago. Dont know about the programs in (that's right) Chicago or roughly that area of the country

Please comment on good and bad on any of following. Thanks

1. U of Chicago
2. U of Illinois
3. Rush
4. Loyola
5. U of Illinois (@ Peoria)

JW

Members don't see this ad.

i'd also really like to know, if someone can help
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How 'bout someplace a little further south? Say, Louisville? We have an awesome program here if you are interested (and not too far away from Chicago either). Just thought I'd ask.

I like Chicago. Thinkin about going to Chicago. Dont know about the programs in (that's right) Chicago or roughly that area of the country

Please comment on good and bad on any of following. Thanks

1. U of Chicago
2. U of Illinois
3. Rush
4. Loyola
5. U of Illinois (@ Peoria)

JW

I don't know much about the programs specifically, but agree that Chicago is a great place. That said, if you like Chicago and are thinking of coming here because you think it's a great place, don't go to Peoria. It's not particularly close, and not particularly like Chicago. If you're interested in casting a wide net around Chicago, I'd put Milwaukee or Madison WI above Peoria, since they are closer or ~the same dist, and probably more interesting.

I know nothing about U of I at Peoria programs and am not in any way trying to hate on Peoria...Just saying that someone who moves to Peoria because they like Chicago is likely to be disappointed.

i know this thread is a little old but for whatever its worth, i'm in med school @ peoria. ignoring location, MP program here is awesome for a community type place. the attendings on both sides are great - though med is a little stronger, peds is by no means weak. great education on both sides too, again med is a little better. good pathologies, varieties of patient population, a pretty good amount of subspecialties and no fellows to compete against. more importantly most residents seem quite happy, and get along well with both categoricals.

it's about 3 hours to chicago, so not that close. i wouldn't really consider it close to chicago. medical college of wisconsin (awesome MP program) is much closer to chicago, maybe 1.5 - 2 hrs, or a little more in traffic. anyway milwaukee has much more of a chicago feel than peoria, if that's what you're going for.

so far ive only interviewed for MP in peoria and milwaukee, so i don't know much about the chicago programs themselves just yet. anyway, good luck dude. hope this helps.

It is my opinion that Chicago really doesn't have any good Med/Peds programs.
U of C - Great in internal medicine. Phenomenal. But pediatrics is kind of weak despite their new hospital.

All of the rest are average at best.

Also, when I interviewed (three years ago) the salaries at all these places was less than 40K. Add that to the high cost of living and you are hurting financially.

I love Chicago more than most, but I just couldn't justify doing a residency there.